Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Mobile posted:

Also doesn't help that Kenobi acts like he's pure evil through the whole OT. No mention of "Oh, yeah, by the way. I should probably tell you that, despite all the hosed up poo poo he did, your mother believed there is still some good in him. Perhaps there is."

To be honest, by the PT Obi Wan barely knew Anakin and pretty much despised him. The positive side of their relationship was pretty much a story about them landing in a pit of Gundarks once. Other than that, Obi Wan pretty much bitched at him most the time because it was obvious that he didn't want to teach him from the start. Anakin was also a whiny and cocky bitch which blossomed into a wonderful personality that didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I go away for three months because my computer breaks and holy gently caress, there's a new thread and I'm in the OP! I'm so glad to see I've become a byword for Imperial support around here. I love you too, Geeky Star Wars Questions Megathread!

Obi-wan wasn't lying when he didn't tell Luke that he met Luke's mother. It was just a convenient omission......from a certain point of view*.

Also, I've been seeing commercials for TFU2 on TV and god drat, I have a bad feeling about this.

*'A certain point of view' may not necessarily extend to what a non-Jedi would view as truth, sanity, or morality.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

To be honest, by the PT Obi Wan barely knew Anakin and pretty much despised him. The positive side of their relationship was pretty much a story about them landing in a pit of Gundarks once. Other than that, Obi Wan pretty much bitched at him most the time because it was obvious that he didn't want to teach him from the start. Anakin was also a whiny and cocky bitch which blossomed into a wonderful personality that didn't help either.

What about when they part before Obi Wan heads off to fight Grievous on the pothole planet? He seemed pretty nice and even pleased with Anakin.

E: Aslo the whole "I loved you! You were like a brother!" thing.

EE: vvv So we're not supposed to believe that Obi Wan actually cared for Anakin even though he said it? I thought one of George's biggest failings as a director was being unable to show how characters feel, so he just has them say it.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 2, 2010

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Pope Mobile posted:

What about when they part before Obi Wan heads off to fight Grievous on the pothole planet? He seemed pretty nice and even pleased with Anakin.

E: Aslo the whole "I loved you! You were like a brother!" thing.

That was thrown in to give the impression that Obi-Wan was pretty nice and even pleased with Anakin.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Goddamn, TFU2 is a short game. I guess they tried to make up for it by making the final boss the most drawn-out, tedious thing I've ever done in a video game. And I played WoW, for fucks sake. That end boss was seriously so boring I don't even know if I want to go back and get the Dark Side ending.

And yeah, it ends on a cliffhanger that will never get resolved because TFU3 got canceled.

What's the familiar feeling? That...cloying sense of disappointment? I guess this is Star Wars after all :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
On a scale of 1-10, how much does TFUII poo poo on the established continuity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how much does TFUII poo poo on the established continuity?

Well, it ends with Darth Vader being arrested and taken to the rebel base on Dantooine.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Something's been bugging me lately. I remember as a kid thinking that the Jedi were these Knight-Errant sorts that wander about doing good with a loose organization, but what I can't remember was when I first heard about the Jedi Council and how they were organized.

Anybody know when that all first came up in Star Wars?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

JonLikesPie posted:

Something's been bugging me lately. I remember as a kid thinking that the Jedi were these Knight-Errant sorts that wander about doing good with a loose organization, but what I can't remember was when I first heard about the Jedi Council and how they were organized.

Anybody know when that all first came up in Star Wars?

The Jedi Council originated with The Phantom Menace, as I recall.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it ends with Darth Vader being arrested and taken to the rebel base on Dantooine.

Oh poo poo, I already knew that from earlier in the thread. No joke, the plot is suddenly coming back to me. I, honest to god, blacked it out of my memory.

FUUUCK

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh poo poo, I already knew that from earlier in the thread. No joke, the plot is suddenly coming back to me. I, honest to god, blacked it out of my memory.

FUUUCK

To be fair, there's some hilarious indication that Darth Vader threw the entire fight so he could train his other, even more secret Dark Apprentice.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, there's some hilarious indication that Darth Vader threw the entire fight so he could train his other, even more secret Dark Apprentice.

Also Boba Fett is apparently planning to rescue Vader for some reason.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping OT and EU era Boba Fett is really a secret Jedi clone thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ImpAtom posted:

WHAAAAAAAAT?! :psyboom:

Now I almost wish TFU3 hadn't been cancelled, just so I could see how deep the rabbit hole of insanity goes.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

ImpAtom posted:

So the rebel base really was on Dantooine? :psypop:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

NGL posted:

The Jedi Council originated with The Phantom Menace, as I recall.

Really? I could've sworn hearing something about it before the Prequel Trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

Presumably Vader destroys it while escaping or something. Which... makes the entire exchange with Leia telling Tarkin about it make no sense. Especially since Leia is explicitly shown as knowing Vader was being taken to Dantooine. She talks to Starkiller about it.

Actually, that brings up something: Luke sure probably was pissed when he found out the Rebel Alliance had their own Jedi and Leia was on good terms with a dude who made Luke look like a five year old and kicked their father's rear end on multiple occasions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 3, 2010

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Captain von Trapp posted:

Wasn't it established somewhere that they had one up and running (or near to that, at any rate) for several months, only to find Imperial spy equipment in a cargo shipment that led them to abandoning it within a few days?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NeonTurtle posted:

The part with Padme believing there was still good in him and trying to bring him back to the good side completely ruins Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi for me. Because it suggests that Vader is so screwed up in the head that his wife, whom he's known for most of his life, can't save him. Meanwhile, his son, who he met for the first time 50 minutes ago, can save him. It would have been a lot better if Padme had completely rejected him when she learned Anakin went on a hunting trip in the Jedi temple. Just flat out rejection in the vein of I don't know you anymore, stay away from me, You are not the Anakin I loved, etc. Make it so his son was the first person who actually offered him another chance. It'd make a lot more sense from a storytelling perspective.

This I disagree with mostly on the fact that Vader would have ignored his wife because he was just beginning his delve into the dark side, whereas with Luke he had plenty of time beyond the 50 minutes to contemplate everything.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And retards act like this is the deepest story ever.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Casimir Radon posted:

And retards act like this is the deepest story ever.

Wait, people seriously argue there's depth to this?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
There really is depth with the idea, and some EU has expanded on it. Unfortunately the creator seems determined to grace us with CGI rabbit lizards with speech impediments instead of exploring it in the higher canon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Presumably Vader destroys it while escaping or something. Which... makes the entire exchange with Leia telling Tarkin about it make no sense. Especially since Leia is explicitly shown as knowing Vader was being taken to Dantooine. She talks to Starkiller about it.

Actually, that brings up something: Luke sure probably was pissed when he found out the Rebel Alliance had their own Jedi and Leia was on good terms with a dude who made Luke look like a five year old and kicked their father's rear end on multiple occasions.

They probably had Vader blindfolded the entire time, so it's OK.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Blindfolds would be tricky with that mask. Just paint over the eyes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

There really is depth with the idea, and some EU has expanded on it. Unfortunately the creator seems determined to grace us with CGI rabbit lizards with speech impediments instead of exploring it in the higher canon.

Pretty much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Not quite!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nucleic Acids posted:

Wait, people seriously argue there's depth to this?

I take it you've never been to the theforce.net forums, where Luke is OBVIOUSLY Jesus and so is Vader. Also, Mandalorians are the Jews.

-----signature-----
I only pose as a Sith to bring them down from within. The Jedi are my brotherhood, my family, and the Living Force is my salvation.
ANH > ROTJ > ESB > TPM > ROTS > AOTC
Live for Jesus
TPM 3D in theaters 2012
e-married to Lady_Jedi93

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
About the FUII ending, how do they capture Vader without him just killing people with the force?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forum Actuary posted:

About the FUII ending, how do they capture Vader without him just killing people with the force?

It's not really explained. As mentioned there's some indication he's letting himself get captured. This doesn't explain why either of the Jedi present as his capture don't wonder what the deal is with him not force choking everything in a three mile radius.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I can't even imagine what the rebel leaders thought when they captured Vader. I mean, seriously, he's the second most important political and military figure in the galaxy, the Emperor's right-hand-man and gofer, who has magic powers and can kill you with his brain, read your thoughts, influence your thoughts and gently caress with your perceptions, and is incredibly strong and intelligent. And you, the leader of this tiny rebel cell on Dantooine, have him in your hands. Now what the gently caress are you going to do with him? Once the Empire gets word of this they're going to come down on you like a ton of bricks, they'll probably do that thing with the Star Destroyers where they glass the surface of the planet from orbit, and you just got the goddamned base up and running again, and these jackasses come in here with one of the most powerful people you can imagine in custody. gently caress! They probably expect you to be proud of them too, give them a medal or something - well, gently caress that poo poo. No-one can know Vader was ever here! You didn't spend the last ten years space-Photoshopping pictures of Palpatine making out with a Gungan and then pasting them onto every lightpost in the hard streets of Ord Mantell and eventually become head of the Dantooine cell to deal with this kind of poo poo. Chris. What a loving day.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JonLikesPie posted:

Really? I could've sworn hearing something about it before the Prequel Trilogy.

The closest thing to the Jedi Council before TPM was from the Tales of the Jedi comics where the Jedi had occasional convocations to debate big policy issues, like supporting the Republic in a war. But even when those had a few Jedi Masters who were respected above the rest (Thon, Arca, Nomi Sunrider for example) there wasn't really any official structure. And then stuff like Courtship of Princess Leia had Jedi Masters flying around in their ships training people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mad Hamish posted:

I can't even imagine what the rebel leaders thought when they captured Vader. I mean, seriously, he's the second most important political and military figure in the galaxy, the Emperor's right-hand-man and gofer, who has magic powers and can kill you with his brain, read your thoughts, influence your thoughts and gently caress with your perceptions, and is incredibly strong and intelligent. And you, the leader of this tiny rebel cell on Dantooine, have him in your hands. Now what the gently caress are you going to do with him? Once the Empire gets word of this they're going to come down on you like a ton of bricks, they'll probably do that thing with the Star Destroyers where they glass the surface of the planet from orbit, and you just got the goddamned base up and running again, and these jackasses come in here with one of the most powerful people you can imagine in custody. gently caress! They probably expect you to be proud of them too, give them a medal or something - well, gently caress that poo poo. No-one can know Vader was ever here! You didn't spend the last ten years space-Photoshopping pictures of Palpatine making out with a Gungan and then pasting them onto every lightpost in the hard streets of Ord Mantell and eventually become head of the Dantooine cell to deal with this kind of poo poo. Chris. What a loving day.

If the Robot Chicken guys did that comedy TV show from this viewpoint, we'd all watch it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ImpAtom posted:

Click here for the full 720x480 image.

Not quite!

I keep seeing that as some darth vader style tuxedo, and I love it.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Kingtheninja posted:

I keep seeing that as some darth vader style tuxedo, and I love it.

I keep seeing Captain Pike's chair, where Vader can only communicate in bleeps and bloops.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Mad Hamish posted:

*'A certain point of view' may not necessarily extend to what a non-Jedi would view as truth, sanity, or morality.

Count me among those who don't appreciate the whitewashing of history pro-Jedi regularly conduct. The victors get to write the history after all... I'm sure the mother who just lost her child to one of your road side bombs meant to take out some imperial troops really appreciates this "freedom" you are granting her from this "evil Empire" which basically serves as a means of revenue generation and governance that the law abiding citizen has nothing to fear from.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I still think 'Hey dude, fight your long lost robo cyber daddy with me in space!' wouldn't have gotten us a kick rear end trilogy.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Duckman2008 posted:

This I disagree with mostly on the fact that Vader would have ignored his wife because he was just beginning his delve into the dark side, whereas with Luke he had plenty of time beyond the 50 minutes to contemplate everything.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this part. If anything, he should have been more receptive at the beginning of his fall to the dark side. Anakin would be confused and more than a little disturbed. Until a day or two ago he had been a guardian of peace and order. Then, some creepy old man said some things that seemed to make sense, and he acted on that old man's words. Acting on that creepy old man's words directly led Anakin to commit the Great Youngling Massacre of 16 BBY. One the one hand, the old guy promised peace, order, and a way to save his beloved wife. On the other hand, the old guy's way has already directly led to the slaughter of hundreds of innocents. He gets home and explodes at his wife when he discovers that his master was there, and takes off for Mustafar. Anakin would be balancing on the edge at Mustafar, a small push and he could fall either way. Palpatine sent Anakin to Mustafar right after the Great Youngling Massacre of 16 BBY, so he did not have a chance to work his magic on Anakin's balancing act. The first person who had a chance to talk things over with Anakin would be Padme when she arrived at Mustafar. Even after everything, she still loves him and is willing to forgive him. Given his mental state, he should have been desperate for someone to help him find his way. Padme should have been that someone, but the plot determined that she couldn't.

Of course, all of the above presumes that Anakin is a rational human being. And personally, I don't trust Lucas to create a rational character anymore.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

LLJKSiLk posted:

I keep seeing Captain Pike's chair, where Vader can only communicate in bleeps and bloops.

Imagine Vader and Artoo as buddy cops, flying around in a landspeeder solving crimes, arguing, and driving each other insane with their differences until they reconcile in time to catch the perp at the end of the episode. Vader would be the by-the-book ex-military guy who's organized, methodical, and strict, but Artoo would be footloose and fancy free, leaving old restraining bolts in the bottom of the tub after an oil bath, dripping coolant all over Vader's nice clean carpet, and always bursting into Vader's meditation chamber with one of his crazy new moneymaking schemes. Comedic genius!

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

NeonTurtle posted:

some creepy old man

I think this is one spot where the Clone Wars CG cartoon helps a bit. I've only watched the first season so far, but it gave me the impression Anakin saw Palpatine as a father figure. Which Palpatine used to manipulate him. RotS made more sense that way, Anakin felt insulted by the Jedi and when forced chose Palpatine.

I can't remember who said it, but someone (I think the last thread) said Anakin had borderline personality disorder.

DSM IV-TR posted:

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
  • Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
  • A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
  • Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
  • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
  • Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
    Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
  • Chronic feelings of emptiness
  • Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
  • Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

The idealization/devaluation dichotomy would explain his attitude towards both the Jedi and Padme. They're not perfect so they're worthless to him. Paranoia and inappropriate anger are also fairly obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Jervas Dudley posted:

I think this is one spot where the Clone Wars CG cartoon helps a bit. I've only watched the first season so far, but it gave me the impression Anakin saw Palpatine as a father figure. Which Palpatine used to manipulate him. RotS made more sense that way, Anakin felt insulted by the Jedi and when forced chose Palpatine.

I can't remember who said it, but someone (I think the last thread) said Anakin had borderline personality disorder.

The idealization/devaluation dichotomy would explain his attitude towards both the Jedi and Padme. They're not perfect so they're worthless to him. Paranoia and inappropriate anger are also fairly obvious.

Self mutilation is a core criteria though. It differentiates it from one of the other 3 listed in that section of the DSM-IV. Narcissistic Personality Disorder for instance. Or what if you have to look over at the schizophrenia section?

DSM IV posted:

NPD:
* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
* Rarely acknowledges mistakes and/or imperfections
* Requires excessive admiration
* Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* Lacks empathy: is unwilling or unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
* Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitude.