Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

RangerScum posted:

Let's stop talking about math now, please.

:qq:

Captain Postal posted:

so if 5 are needed (and I don't think this is correct - the fovea responds to 5 photons, but the brain doesn't precess the signal, but assuming it is correct)

I vaguely remember that from an old physics q. I just remember it was on that order of magnitude. Looks like it's around 9 absorbed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_threshold#Vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

I vaguely remember that from an old physics q. I just remember it was on that order of magnitude. Looks like it's around 9 absorbed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_threshold#Vision

drat, only 10% light transmission? Can't wait to upgrade to some decent glass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beastruction posted:

Fortunately 10% of what's effectively infinity is still plenty. A laser pointer emits something like a trillion photons each second, if my random banging into google is accurate. The sun emits a whole bunch more than that.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Another little known fact (that I just learnt on the "stuff that blows your mind" thread) is that UV filters actually DO serve a purpose. The blue cone cells in the eye are more responsive to UV than to blue, and human lenses have evolved as UV filters to both prevent damage to the retina, and also because the lens is a cheap and nasty thing that has chromatic aberration like a motherfucker. Seriously, if you take a Holga and replace the plastic lens with a human one (preferably the holga owners'), you'll get awesome retro authentic lomography.

Many animals (particularly those that hunt rodents with their UV fluorescent urine) don't have this built in UV filter to help them track their prey. Humans who are born without lenses or have them removed due to illness are able to see UV light and it throws off their whole colour cast. Claude Monet had his lenses removed during his life, and the colour of his waterlilies changed dramatically before and after.

The moral to the story is: we should be asking if someone is Aphakic (has no lenses in their eye) before telling them they're a moron for using UV filters.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Do you like fantastic prizes? If so then this contest is probably for you.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 4, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

http://gizmodo.com/5678601/what-your-choice-of-camera-says-about-you

What Your Choice of Camera Says About You
That article sucked.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Reichstag posted:

Do you like fantastic prizes? If so then this contest is probably for you.

I want to enter, but not sure exactly how.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

pwn posted:

That article sucked.

Engadget is easier to read and is built better.

:rimshot:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Not exactly "fun stuff", but I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1111119597823?page=8

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I just spent hours at a hotel to have three minutes to shoot a losing congressional candidate. Go journalism! :v:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dakana posted:

Hope he had a UV filter on to keep it weather proof what with the raining blood and all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dakana posted:

I was going to be all "ha ha halloween that's so crazy" and then I read the tagline :(

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I want to enter, but not sure exactly how.

I added a few clarifications.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

The shops here are just small/crappy. My favorite online shop is actually the extension of a brick and mortar enterprise and they happen to be in Amsterdam.
If you want to have your family send you stuff over, them buying it online would probably be cheapest.
I looked up a couple of shops and holy poo poo gear is a lot cheaper in Amsterdam than in Helsinki. My brother is going to have to bring me a few things when he comes home for the holidays.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tell him to walk by "Foto Booms", they're on the cheap side and their service is awesome (exchanging a lens that wasn't focusing right 10% of the time, which I couldn't reproduce in the store, took 5 minutes).
You can check online prices in the Netherlands here.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Excellent, thanks a lot!

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

This is pretty cool.

Guy gets lost at sea, takes photos, loses the camera. He gets rescued, the camera washes up 4 years later and he gets the photos back. The full album is here.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

trueblue posted:

This is pretty cool.

Guy gets lost at sea, takes photos, loses the camera. He gets rescued, the camera washes up 4 years later and he gets the photos back. The full album is here.

Bizaare the guy who found it thought it was that camera.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

xzzy posted:

The sun emits a whole bunch more than that.

Wow, that's some impressive math. How long did that take to work up?

dakana posted:

That's sad and pretty messed up :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some photographer stayed awake for 40 days

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

I just spent hours at a hotel to have three minutes to shoot a losing congressional candidate. Go journalism! :v:

Did you get any of Nye crying, I would like to see that.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Did you get any of Nye crying, I would like to see that.

He knew what he was doing. He came out all smiles, shook hands, hugs, gave a super quick speech and was gone. No chance to set the mood with his expressions.

How about some foreshadowing though? The guy who just lost his job in front of the guy who's just about to lose his job! :v:

Glenn Nye by RMK86, on Flickr
Glenn Nye concedes the race for Virginia's second Congressional district on Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 in Virginia Beach. Behind him, a television displays former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, fellow democrat, speaking to the national media.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

spf3million posted:

Hope he had a UV filter on to keep it weather proof what with the raining blood and all.

He took such awesome photos that the red ring exploded.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Rebel film camera with a CMOS sensor :v:
http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/pho/2035888464.html

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm having a huge slugfest over in SA-Mart with the host of my photo gallery domain (Tfatf.com). The site is down, so all my business cards are useless.

He's being ridiculous.

He thinks it's okay to steal my 5 letter domain because he doesn't like me, and because I threatened to do chargebacks after he suspended all of my accounts. He still has all the money, and changed the domain info to his own company after I tried to transfer it away.

I threatened to do chargebacks, he agreed to give me the domain if I canceled them, I did, and he reneged. The SA-Mart mod is MIA, so I'm not really sure what to do here.

Only sort of tangentially related, but man, don't deal with this company ever:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=991927&pagenumber=84#lastpost

At least http://tfatf.dphoto.com/ still works.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 3, 2010

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

dunkman posted:

I'm having a huge slugfest over in SA-Mart with the host of my photo gallery domain (Tfatf.com).

Wow....what a complete and utter oval office. I hope you get it back, because that's really shady.

Can't you complain to his domain registrar or something? I don't know a great deal about web hosting, but I'd like to think that hijacking a customer's domain is against the rules.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

moron posted:

Can't you complain to his domain registrar or something? I don't know a great deal about web hosting, but I'd like to think that hijacking a customer's domain is against the rules.

Usually domain disputes are things like "I'm Disney and someone registered disneyfuckfest.com and we'd like to close it down."

I don't think there's much of a resolution plan for companies that outright steal their customers domains. Especially since I registered it through them (which is dumb, I'm never doing THAT again). I think this kind of thing goes through small claims court or something, I really don't know though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, that is super lovely. But yeah, when you get your domain name back (and I say WHEN), go take it to your own registrar and never let someone hold it for you again :(

This is kind of timely because I was looking for domain hosting myself, but at least now I know where not to look.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I'm hosting with Bounce Web (also in SA-Mart)
They give goons 50% off and I haven't had a single problem with them.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

FWIW, i use Apis Networks (also in SAMart) and they've been absolutely amazing. Their hosting is very fast, and their support is top notch. I'd strongly recommend them.

They're not the cheapest, but i don't think that necessarily a bad thing.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ringo R posted:

Rebel film camera with a CMOS sensor :v:
http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/pho/2035888464.html

Sporting the 2.5-inch LCD display, the EOS REBEL X lets you view the captured photos clearly. :drugnerd:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Russians in probably the first (documented) digital editing of photos back in 1987 (I think Photoshop came out in 1990), pretty crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PsiJXswiM

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dread Head posted:

Russians in probably the first (documented) digital editing of photos back in 1987 (I think Photoshop came out in 1990), pretty crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PsiJXswiM
That is really loving impressive. Could you imagine d/b'ing with a track ball? :psyboom:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

whoa this is awesome

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Little late but I use easyDNS.

Not cheap at all, but you get what you pay for with these things.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Why is B&H so awesome? I just got my first order from them - less than 48 hours from the time I placed my order to opening the box.

e. With the cheapest shipping option. Like $3.50 for next-day shipping.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Jimmy Olson is a drat good photojournalist

Click here for the full 1152x427 image.

Using the kit lens

Nice attention to detail on the artists part

downtown_man
Oct 7, 2005

Fishing for love in all the wrong places

ZoCrowes posted:

Click here for the full 1152x427 image.

Using the kit lens

Nice attention to detail on the artists part

Jimmy Olson uses the kit lens. I guess even in comics newspapers aren't doing so hot.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What brand is CA-1011?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ZoCrowes posted: