Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Holland Oats posted:

CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Law and Econ is kinda fun although fairly useless except for academia and maybe antitrust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: NERD ALERT :siren: here's the oral argument transcript of that video game case that went before SCOTUS. http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/08-1448.pdf

JUSTICE ALITO: Well, I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games.
(Laughter.)
JUSTICE ALITO: Did he enjoy them?
JUSTICE SCALIA: No, I want to know what James Madison thought about violence.

SCALIA SMACKDOWN. VIDEO GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love how the justices keep referring to games as "videos"

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
DO NOT TAKE THE CLASS WITH STRAUSS

please listen

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

billion dollar bitch posted:

hope

change
This did not get the acknowledgement it deserves

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

TyChan posted:

I want to slap that dean from Emory so bad.

Actually he's a prof; teaches CivPro and Business Associations for Emory and BA/FedJur for BarBri NY.

He also sounds like Bob Barker when he lectures which makes him immensely popular among the students, which in turn makes him completely full of himself thus the smug.

I would love to do a follow up with all the people in that video just to see if their stories have changed at all.

Harry Ellis fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 3, 2010

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

BigHead posted:

My brother in law did exactly this (PhD in pharmasomething from ivy league). His PhD actually made him a very desirable candidate, and from what I understand a PhD in a hard science is pretty much the only thing besides LSAT/GPA/URM that makes you desirable to law schools. With his high GPA/LSAT he was actively courted by every law school and got a free ride to a T10.

Be warned though, he had to compete with the other hard science PhD in his law school for the one singular patent law firm that was hiring summer associates.

Biotech type of PhD here. Applied to ~18 schools and got in where my LSAT/GPA predicted.

If anything, I'd say a PhD blows the door open if your LSAT/GPA gets your foot in the door. It won't get you in where your numbers wouldn't.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

TheAttackSlug posted:

Army JAG packet in.

Hope hope hope hope hope hope.

I hope you submitted it on the 1st, that was the deadline. I was alternate-listed last time and took a Reserve commission (which I have heard nothing further about since passing the medical exams a couple months ago). I re-applied for active duty again this time around.

May your luck be only slightly worse than mine!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TyChan posted:

How long did it take for your process to go through? My former coworker became a FBI agent. The total application-to-interview process took him at least 2 years. He kept having interviews and offers delayed due to budgeting uncertainties and general bureaucratic inertia.

He went to Hofstra, but he got a job at Weill Gotshall as a bankruptcy associate and worked his way out of the legal sector from there. He has family ties to law enforcement and did stuff like volunteer firemen work, but something tells me he still got incredibly lucky.
A friend of mine was a finance associate at a v50 firm and was accepted before he realized that his wife didn't want to move. Want to say it was about a year and a half from application to when he was going to start. No LE background, no non-legal work experience. T14 law.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

I actually applied to be an FBI special agent. FBI special agents hire from, um, 8ish fields. These fields are: military, computer forensics, computer science, language (Chinese/Arabic/etc only pls), law enforcement, hard science graduate degrees, something else, and the law. When I applied, I got accepted through the first round. In my letter of acceptance, they said, and I quote, "We have received an unprecedented amount of law and computer science applicants, and as such we will not be evaluating them this hiring round beyond the first round. If you choose to continue though the first round with only these specialties, then please be prepared to not advance."

In other words, tell your dumb oval office of a "friend's sister" to become a cop and/or military officer, then go to law school, and she may have a slightly elevated chance at becoming an FBI special agent. Or she can just go into the military and learn something useful that is applicable after she gets shot at for several years.

Side note: would it be preferable to be shot at for several years, or go to law school and repay a full student loan debt? Easy choice: I'll take the bullet.

Edit: I would literally take a bullet to be unsaddled from my debt. I wonder how much I could sell a shot to the stomach and/or a shot to various meaty extremities. There's got to be someone fetishing about this that is willing to pay me $100k
There was a newspaper article about a somewhat senior DA who quit his job and became a cop so he could get into the FBI eventually
If someone who's been doing it that long can't get in with legal credentials alone, your fresh out of law school rear end ain't going nowhere.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also what the gently caress is ginko balboa? Is that some kind of aromatic liqueur?

http://tinyurl.com/356gobk

or, for correct spelling: http://tinyurl.com/mbqyrm

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also what the gently caress is ginko balboa? Is that some kind of aromatic liqueur?
he's the head hobbit from that one movie

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

he's the head hobbit from that one movie

I thought that was the Frito Bandito? You kids and your crazy violent videos...

cendien
Sep 14, 2008
I'm sitting in a WestLaw training session and the instructor is using student loans following bankruptcy, discharge, etc as her example searches.

Is she trying to tell us something? Wait, was law school a bad idea? poo poo.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I thought that was the Frito Bandito? You kids and your crazy violent videos...

I knew Scalia had an SA account. And it was so obvious all along!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Tetrix posted:

Not a CLS person, but if Foundations of the Regulatory State is just a fancy name for Admin Law, I'd take that. If you want to work for a federal agency or department it will be a good selling point in interviews and cover letters.

Agreed. Plus Strauss is my favorite professor who reminds me of Dr. Robotnik.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lemonus posted:

This shits a disgrace. Guess we will look forward to Judges having to make political campaign Ad's solicit donations now or something?

Yeah, if they want to violate the Code of Judicial Conduct.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What's that? Why no, of course I don't solicit donations for my campaigns. That's the responsibility of the lawyers in my election committee. Yes, they all practice in my court. What's your point?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Petey posted:

Did you go? What is your sense of where it is going?

you or SWATjester?

No didn't go, I'm sorta on the other side of the country. I found it on Kotaku.

Also re: 1L electives: Legislation is a pretty cool class IMO.

EDIT: I did read it though. My sense, this is with Con Law 1 and Legislation under my belt, is that there's a genuine overbreadth problem that the court hinted at a couple of times. I believe both Kagen and Scalia brought it up. "Deviant violence" as the statute is written sounds goofy to me and it sounded goofy to the justices. There was a lot of talk on the petitioner's side about a jury being capable of figuring out what that was but it's a flimsy argument at best that Scalia correctly points to as flawed for the purposes of this trial here. Petitioner didn't make himself friends with Sotomayor either when he basically had to concede everything about labeling these games (he didn't brief the issue at all but still got asked about it). The state makes no effort in distinguishing between a 17 year old buying these games and a five year old, which they think is fair, and only Roberts and sort of Alito seemed to indicate they'd hear that argument out. Combined with a fairly long list of similar cases at the lower level that didn't work, you have a recipe for an affirmance. Carving exceptions to speech is something the court isn't big fans of and I don't think they'll be a big enough fan of this.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 3, 2010

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's that? Why no, of course I don't solicit donations for my campaigns. That's the responsibility of the lawyers in my election committee. Yes, they all practice in my court. What's your point?

Welcome to the bullshit that I've been dealing with for the past year :argh:

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

granted I'm actually working now (at a nonlegal temp job) and the only reason I'm broke is because I don't get a regular paycheck because they hired me as an independent contractor (not 100% sure it's legal but I don't wanna rock the boat) but I still feel like this counts as a new low
Can pretty much guarantee its 100% illegal. You should use those lawyering skills and see if there are any statutory damages or try and organize a class action or something. Some states have really harsh punishments for inappropriately paying employees as a 1099. Although while I remember harsh punishments I don't remember much in the way of harsh payments to broke lawyers who were getting 1099ed illegally.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kase Im Licht posted:

Can pretty much guarantee its 100% illegal. You should use those lawyering skills and see if there are any statutory damages or try and organize a class action or something. Some states have really harsh punishments for inappropriately paying employees as a 1099. Although while I remember harsh punishments I don't remember much in the way of harsh payments to broke lawyers who were getting 1099ed illegally.

Yes, find a job and immediately sue the people who sign your checks. In 2 years you'll have mad toilet paper money yo!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Some days judges are goddamn idiots.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

quote:

JUSTICE
SOTOMAYOR: Would a video game that portrayed a Vulcan as opposed to a human being, being maimed and tortured, would that be covered by the act?
MR. MORAZZINI: No, it wouldn't, Your Honor, because the act is only directed towards the range of options that are able to be inflicted on a human being.

I'm tired of the anti-Vulcan judicial activism on this court

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I hope you submitted it on the 1st, that was the deadline. I was alternate-listed last time and took a Reserve commission (which I have heard nothing further about since passing the medical exams a couple months ago). I re-applied for active duty again this time around.

May your luck be only slightly worse than mine!

Yeah, I got it in on time.

Maybe we will be classmates in commissar school!

:commissar:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Does anyone who does a lot of Federal practice happen to know whether you waive your objections to Requests for Production if you fail to answer within thirty days?

NOTE: My client is the bigger ding-dong here, this poo poo was 3 months overdue when I got hired.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yes, find a job and immediately sue the people who sign your checks. In 2 years you'll have mad toilet paper money yo!

Pretty much this. I think I'm just going to sit on the $10 that I have left and wait for now I'm not really in a suing mood

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pretty much this. I think I'm just going to sit on the $10 that I have left and wait for now I'm not really in a suing mood
you need that tenbux to wage nut war

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Direwolf posted:

I'm tired of the anti-Vulcan judicial activism on this court

It sounds like you are a supporter of the so called Vulcan agenda.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Roger_Mudd posted:

If they discharge him he will have a retaliation claim too!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

CLS people, do you have any recommendations on which 1L elective I should take? Here are the options:

Law and Economics (Prof. Victor Goldberg)
Legislation (Prof. Richard Briffault)
Principles of Intellectual Property (Prof. Scott Hemphill)
Critical Legal Thought (Prof. Katherine Franke)
Foundations of the Regulatory State (Prof. Peter Strauss)
The United States and the International Legal System (Prof. Matthew Waxman)

I'm leaning toward Critical Legal Thought, Legislation, and the International class but I'm generally pretty open-minded.

Hemphill is really good, as well as being one of the professors who is good at getting people he likes clerkships (the other is Richmond who apparently helped almost everyone who got a clerkship) apparently. No idea what any of the other classes are like though, I took the IP one and liked it.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
Texas bar results come out in the next half hour to an hour or so. The hit counter on the law examiners website is leaping by thousands each time I frantically refresh.

I am literally shaking so hard i can barely type.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Petey: Yeah, I went. It went quite well in favor of the EMA I think. The only justice I got a real sense that supported California's argument was Roberts.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Cortina posted:

Texas bar results come out in the next half hour to an hour or so. The hit counter on the law examiners website is leaping by thousands each time I frantically refresh.

I am literally shaking so hard i can barely type.

Good luck! My heart was through my eyeball when I opened up the website to see my result.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Passed the bar!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheBestDeception posted:

Passed the bar!

Grats!

You truly are TheBestDecepticon.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
TX bar results: :smugdog:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TheBestDeception posted:

Passed the bar!

:toot: Hooray! :toot:

What about that other guy though? He hasn't posted yet oh no :(

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

TX bar results: :smugdog:

Yeah, cause I told you on your facebook page.

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Cortina is either hammered because...well actually he/she is probably hammered either way.