Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, Rashomon, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and Mon Oncle should be on BluRay soon. All have had recent restorations. The current DVDs are good, but the new editions will be awesome.

You are quite possibly my favorite person right now.

My haul:

Seven Samurai (blu)
The Darjeeling Limited (blu) (replacing my DVD, gently caress I said I wouldn't do that)
House (blu) (blind buy)
The Thin Red Line (blu)
Black Orpheus (blu)
Charade (blu) (blind buy)
Paths of Glory (blu) (blind buy after seeing so many people praise it, but seriously, how could it be better than FMJ?)
Antichrist (blu)
Carnival of Souls
Last Year at Marienbad (blu)
Modern Times (blu) (blind buy, but I LOVED City Lights, so I think I'll be alright)
The Night of the Hunter (blu) (blind buy)
The Ice Storm

What's three hundred dollars? Right? Thinking of blind buying Scenes From a Marriage oh god don't make me do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

IFC has acquired the adorable family comedy Shoah, which may indicate a future Criterion release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Modern Times is easily Chaplin's funniest feature-length, even if City Lights is his best film. The whole opening scene in the factory (up to him going crazy) is perfect. Try not to laugh during the part with him using the wrenches on everything.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Well well, what do we have here

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I think that that is just a slipcase that is coming as part of their whole America box set release. I hope that I'm wrong and they are releasing Easy Rider individually because I really want to get it but don't want to get the boxset for $100.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheYellowFog posted:

I think that that is just a slipcase that is coming as part of their whole America box set release. I hope that I'm wrong and they are releasing Easy Rider individually because I really want to get it but don't want to get the boxset for $100.

No, they're not. At least, not right now. They may well split it out for an individual release at some point in the future, though (like they did with the Cassavetes box).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

IFC has acquired the adorable family comedy Shoah, which may indicate a future Criterion release.
Eh. It's easily one of the best films ever made, but I've never really felt like what it really needed was a really pristine transfer or a shitload of extras.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SubG posted:

Eh. It's easily one of the best films ever made, but I've never really felt like what it really needed was a really pristine transfer or a shitload of extras.

I bet there's an awesome gag reel.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I can't even imagine individuals wanting own it, much less for the ridiculous price it will command if only for its length. Are there really enough institutional buyers and Criterion completists for it to sell?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I bet there's an awesome gag reel.
The unreleased work print of The Day the Clown Cried.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Long lost appearance of Adolf Hitler on What's My Line.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I bought Louie Bluie, also Black Orpheus and Thin Red Line, and I can't recommend it enough. Between the killer price thanks to the sale and the absolute joy that leaks out of every second of the film's 60 minutes it is really worth a buy.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

SubG posted:

It's out of print in the US so some people would like a chance to watch it >: (

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The Lucas posted:

Yeah, I haven't seen Shoah just because the only way would be to blind buy the MoC version or pirate it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Lucas posted:

Yeah, it's cool that it will be in print. I'm just saying that the fact that it's a Criterion it's exactly making my nipples hard the way it would if a Criterion of, say, Campanadas a Medianoche/Chimes at Midnight (1965) was announced---a film that's just dying for a proper clean up and release. Or if they announced an Eclipse set of Oshima's ATG films or something like that, which nobody else is likely to do. With a film like Shoah I don't feel like Criterion's the only ones that would ever do it (they didn't do any of the DVD, LD, or VHS releases) and I don't feel like it's something another house would gently caress up (all the previous editions of Shoah I've seen have been fine).

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I watched the whole thing over the span of a few days and can't see myself wanting to revisit it; not because it was bad or boring, but because it was too good at what it set out to do: document remembrances of the holocaust. What Night and Fog did with haunting images, Shoah does with words and stories of the atrocities people went through from first hand accounts.

The impact this has is a testament to why the holocaust is more powerful and disturbing when documented rather than dramatized. It's an important historical document that should be presevered and viewed by a wider audience so I'm all for a Criterion release because they are the best at doing just that, and then it might make its way more into highschool/college curriculum. I remember being shown Schindler's list on 3 separate occasions during my highschool years as if it were a historical fact, and something about that is just wrong.

There's the famous quote by Kubrick that "Schindler's List is about success, the Holocaust was about failure" and I would say that Shoah is 9 hours of documenting failure.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
FYI some of the Studiocanal titles may still have copies floating around in the B&N system. as the following show as available to order. Keep in mind that the order may not ultimately be filled:

Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games (Essential Art House)
Gervaise (Essential Art House)
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD)
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Essential Art House)

The rest are listed as OOP, but you might still get lucky—for example, I spotted Port of Shadows and Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition) in a brick and mortar today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

House is waiting for me at home from Netflix. :neckbeard:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

House is waiting for me at home from Netflix. :neckbeard:

I just watched this via Netflix last night... Honestly, I feel robbed of an hour and a half of my life. Maybe if I would have enjoyed this more in a theater, with a bunch of bad movie fans, and a nice buzz going.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I just watched this via Netflix last night... Honestly, I feel robbed of an hour and a half of my life. Maybe if I would have enjoyed this more in a theater, with a bunch of bad movie fans, and a nice buzz going.

Are you putting House in the same category as The Room?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Are you putting House in the same category as The Room?

Ehh... less The Room, more Troll 2. But yes, it does land pretty squarely in the "so bad it's something I want to watch with a bunch of stoned people" category and not in the "watch it alone because I truly enjoy it" category.

With House, you get the sense that the director had a sense of what he wanted to do, had the talent to do it, but it just didn't translate to the screen. It's like a grab-bag of antiquated special effects, which on their own are interesting, but the story itself is not good (despite the premise being interesting), the story editing/pacing is flat out bad, and the acting is not great.

In all truthfulness, I was PUMPED for this movie, and it disappointed me immensely.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

zenintrude posted:

With House, you get the sense that the director had a sense of what he wanted to do, had the talent to do it, but it just didn't translate to the screen. It's like a grab-bag of antiquated special effects, which on their own are interesting, but the story itself is not good (despite the premise being interesting), the story editing/pacing is flat out bad, and the acting is not great.

In all truthfulness, I was PUMPED for this movie, and it disappointed me immensely.

I felt the same way and I saw it stoned in theaters. House is kind of a cool novelty movie but the way people talk about it makes it seem like it's more than a really weird Japanese horror movie when it's not. I enjoyed it's odd style but in the end it's apparent that the movie is dragged along by a mishmash of ideas, some that work and some that don't.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Glad I stumbled into this thread. I was immensely disappointed by House. Yes it was nonsensical, but it was also boring.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I bought it because of the hype and was waiting for the story to continue to something mindblowing and cool after the climax, but it just seemed kind of meh. The supplements, however interesting, make Nobuhiko Obayashi and his daughter really seem full of themselves.

Removing all the fluff from the interview it basically looks like Obayashi "sold out" the movie via really excessive marketing and hype to get it made instead of keeping an artistic vision. All the examples of advertising shown with the girls half naked is pretty cheap and creepy too.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

got dat wmd posted:

Removing all the fluff from the interview it basically looks like Obayashi "sold out" the movie via really excessive marketing and hype to get it made instead of keeping an artistic vision. All the examples of advertising shown with the girls half naked is pretty cheap and creepy too.

Did you miss the part where his artistic vision was to go against every Japanese film making convention at the time? Also, he wanted to get the drat thing made and it sounds like creating a hype machine worked.

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet
I don't know what to tell you guys. I guess, go rewatch every film by Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi, and Shindo and Kobayashi, for good measure, and then rewatch every American horror film made between 1940 and 1975, and then watch House again.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I believe Chuck D said it best: "Don't believe the hype!"

Hype will ruin just about any movie for anyone that may have otherwise enjoyed the poo poo out of it. Curse you, internet!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hype didn't ruin House for me, and that's loving rare (although I may have gotten in before the worst of it). In fact, I thought it actually surpassed the hype.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

tickle monster posted:

I don't know what to tell you guys. I guess, go rewatch every film by Kurosawa, Ozu, and Mizoguchi, and Shindo and Kobayashi, for good measure, and then rewatch every American horror film made between 1940 and 1975, and then watch House again.

so what you're saying is that if you don't like House, you don't get it?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

FirstCongoWar posted:

so what you're saying is that if you don't like House, you don't get it?
Seems more like that people aren't putting it in the proper context. I'll agree that it was a bit underwhelming, but it was underwhelming in the sense that I had a really great time watching it and the set pieces were amazing I just didn't think it was the greatest movie ever.

Comparing it to Troll 2 or The Room is, to put it mildly, a bit off the mark.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

People comparing it to The Room and Troll 2 are wayyy off. House is actually a good movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Lucas posted:

House is actually a good movie.

Some of us disagree with that... but we can still get along :hfive:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

House is truly childlike in both its thin line between the fascinating and the frightening and particularly in the hyperreallity of it all. Something like a kids' Inland Empire maybe? It does seem to have the mark of a "best worst film" at first, what with its use of "every in-camera trick," as Ti West put it. And certainly the only really experienced actor in the bunch was Minamida Yoko, who as the Auntie gave the type of performance you'd see in late-period Robert Aldrich. But all of it was sort of the point. Not to say people who don't like it don't "get" it, but, yes, Obayashi breaks just about every rule both of classical continuity and of Japanese film tradition with full knowledge of having done so. So if you didn't like what he was going for, then fair enough. But comparing it to Troll 2 is way off-base.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Also, according to Obayashi in the documentary, an unwritten rule of the Japanese film industry was that once an actress plays a mother, she is out of consideration for "ingenue" roles. Minamida Yoko was at an odd transitional age—not yet willing to make the leap into motherly roles, but no longer finding other roles up to her expectations (which can happen once you've worked with Imamura twice, Mizoguchi twice, and Suzuki Seijun four times, not to mention every other major working Japanese director short of Ozu (who died just as her career was taking off) and of course Kurosawa. By the late 1970s she had also done a bunch of the type of B movies that gained critical appreciation after the fact, for Fukasaku, Ishii Teruo, Ozawa Shigehiro, and others, before doing mostly stage work, where she could find roles to her liking.

So either Minamida Yoko loved House so much that she decided she was willing to give up younger roles for the sake of the film (which is how Obayashi sees it) or she had completely given up on getting any good younger roles to the point that she accepted the role in House (which is plausible). I would argue that the latter explanation is true regardless, but certainly she saw something in House if she was willing to choose Auntie as her first "motherly" role, not to mention to play waay older.

e: In other words Obayashi makes Minamida out to be the Meryl Streep of that time in Japan, and while he is to some extent being aggrandizing, Minamida certainly still had the power in the industry to pass on House.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 5, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I feel like this is something really obvious, but I'm drawing a blank.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

I feel like this is something really obvious, but I'm drawing a blank.

Obviously it's Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Theories from cf.org:

The Conversation - This one occurred to me, too, but it seems unlikely that Criterion would get the rights. I do remember reading somewhere or other that Coppola was working on it, though.

Blowout - Maybe. Not a fan of the movie.

edit: someone reminded me that Travolta is recording owls at the start of Blowout, so now I'm pretty convinced.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Conversation is coming via Lionsgate.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Theories from cf.org:

The Conversation - This one occurred to me, too, but it seems unlikely that Criterion would get the rights. I do remember reading somewhere or other that Coppola was working on it, though.

Blowout - Maybe. Not a fan of the movie.

We all know that The Conversation is coming next year so that was my guess. I would think Paramount would be handling the release but then again Criterion does have a partnership with them.

Blowout is a very good possibility and I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it. I actually like it but then again I love early DePalma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

SneakySneaks posted:

We all know that The Conversation is coming next year so that was my guess. I would think Paramount would be handling the release but then again Criterion does have a partnership with them.

I don't think they do.