Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It sounds like your ideal only bike is a Honda Accord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'd compromise and have a Ninja 500 / GS500/ SV650/ Ninja 650, Great all rounders, can cruise the freeway 75-80mph easily, they all get 50 MPG or more, and are cheap to insure.

Theres a guy who works at a restaurant near mine who commutes about 60miles/day on a 2008+ ninja 250, he actually kind of prefers it over his 2009 CBR 600 because he told me his wrists started bothering him, and hell the CBR is considered one of the most comfortable of modern sportbikes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

It sounds like your ideal only bike is a Honda Accord.

I was thinking along the same lines. Ninja 250's are like the riced-out honda civic of the motorcycle world.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

blugu64 posted:

My 250 went to california and back and it didn't suck :colbert:

Where did you start the journey? 250's don't suck so to speak, but I much preferred my 750 for the trip. As ancedote, my mechanic is in his 70's and tours 20,000KM-50,000KM every year on his 06 GSXR-1000 and would have no other bike. I love that guy.

The whole discussion is kind've stupid because it's like asking to pick a single set of skis to use all winter. You cant just have one! But if I had to, there's no way it'd be a 250. Way too gutless on the highway. And my GSXR would suck in the city, because the clutch goes to poo poo after it heats up in idle traffic and the lever hurts my hand, since 1st gear is so high. But I'd still take it over a 250 any day. A supermoto is definitely an awesome compromise, with the added fun of hooniganism. Still not great on the highway though. Hopefully the V-Strom 650 I'm picking up in the spring will be the best of all worlds.. But if it does everything good, does it do anything great? Might be boring..

-Inu- posted:

If I were only riding on the street, I'd prefer to have a bike that I can actually ride on the street without getting locked up or killing myself. Note that I was only comparing 250's and 600 I4's.

If you can't ride an I4 without getting locked up or killing yourself, then you have no self control.

Somewhere in Arizona

MrZig fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
If I had been comparing beyond 2 bikes I'd go with something like an SV for sure. Nothing that bike can't do well.

Content...pictures from Tally finally got posted online :D

edit;

MrZig posted:

The whole discussion is kind've stupid because it's like asking to pick a single set of skis to use all winter. You cant just have one!
Well you asked if goons would prefer riding 250 over a supersport :) Can't exactly ride more than one bike at a time. Unless you're Z3n, he may be able to pull that one off.

MrZig posted:

If you can't ride an I4 without getting locked up or killing yourself, then you have no self control.
I have no self control. That and I've been on the mountain twice this year when people have gone off and died. Also sold a fellow a one piece who crashed and was on crutches and talked to another fellow who was half paralyzed from that same road. gently caress that poo poo.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 2, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrZig posted:

Where did you start the journey?

Dallas, Texas. 5.5k miles and everyone should ride to LA and Vegas at some point.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
I don't quite get the "a 250 is gutless" discussion. My bike doesn't go faster than 60 mph and it's still awesome to ride it everywhere. It's not about having a lot of power under your seat. I think relaxed cruising around is as much a valid use for a motorbike as whatever you aspire to do on a supersport. If it's fun, it's ok in my book.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Nothing wrong with daily commutes on a geared down GSXR600 with a track oriented suspension setup :colbert:

Have done a few 800km days in the past with no problems either, and have never recieved any traffic infringements despite 600 supersport oh noes

My 250 was great fun both on the road and the track, and I'm glad I started out on it for the first year or so. At the end of the day however, it was slower, buzzier, less comfortable, lacked nice suspension/brakes, and the final coffin nail that it could only take 16 inch bias ply tyres, so no nice grippy radials.

If you have sufficient experience to do it safely, then ride whatever makes you happy and be done with it.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 2, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For something as ridiculous as a Ducati V-max, that sure has some clean lines. Everything comes together, everything is nicely rounded off and smooth. It's dumb, but it ain't ugly.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
200,000 miles on 04 Honda CBRF4i. Bought new with 3 miles on the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs8I8fYNNG0

Aww yeah.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You He win's the rear end of Steel award...drat.

I've been riding like 5 years, 4 seasons and I've only put 8000 miles on two bikes in that time.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 2, 2010

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Oh lol, that's not me. :) I've got 22k on the CBR I have though, still not enough. :(

content... It's almost time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

infraboy posted:

I'd compromise and have a Ninja 500 / GS500/ SV650/ Ninja 650, Great all rounders, can cruise the freeway 75-80mph easily, they all get 50 MPG or more, and are cheap to insure.

Theres a guy who works at a restaurant near mine who commutes about 60miles/day on a 2008+ ninja 250, he actually kind of prefers it over his 2009 CBR 600 because he told me his wrists started bothering him, and hell the CBR is considered one of the most comfortable of modern sportbikes.

My Ninja 500 owns bones and I plan on keeping it when I buy my new bike. It's really perfect for city riding.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I love the crap out of my CBR150RR. Yes it's slow, but you can give it the beans and never have to worry about getting a ticket. Also it weighs less than 300 lbs, and is nimble as hell. The 100+mpg is also pretty decent. $10 fill once a week. It's a great commuter bike.

I really want this bike.

Nomex fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 2, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGC_qh6dC8&feature=player_embedded
Holy poo poo, skills.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrZig posted:

Where did you start the journey? 250's don't suck so to speak, but I much preferred my 750 for the trip. As ancedote, my mechanic is in his 70's and tours 20,000KM-50,000KM every year on his 06 GSXR-1000 and would have no other bike. I love that guy.

The whole discussion is kind've stupid because it's like asking to pick a single set of skis to use all winter. You cant just have one! But if I had to, there's no way it'd be a 250. Way too gutless on the highway. And my GSXR would suck in the city, because the clutch goes to poo poo after it heats up in idle traffic and the lever hurts my hand, since 1st gear is so high. But I'd still take it over a 250 any day. A supermoto is definitely an awesome compromise, with the added fun of hooniganism. Still not great on the highway though. Hopefully the V-Strom 650 I'm picking up in the spring will be the best of all worlds.. But if it does everything good, does it do anything great? Might be boring..

Somewhere in Arizona

That's why when I really think about it, as much as I lust after various other bikes, I just can't shake the feeling that my '06 Pegaso Strada is the best bike I could possibly have for the kind of riding I spend most of my time doing. It's not as hardcore as a pure supermoto, which makes it everyday comfortable, but it's almost as nimble and can still hop curbs with the best of them to get around traffic snarls. Ok the fuel mileage is poo poo at 90mph, but that's going to happen on a 650 single. Something like a V-Strom would fill a similar role (I just don't like the looks personally). Yeah it might not quicken the pulse every day, but it will do what you need it to when you need it to, whatever and whenever that may be while returning some smiles along the way.
I still want a MV Agusta Brutale and a Guzzi V7 Racer though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This is one of the best urban trials videos ever.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
New 2011 CBR600F

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Basically a faired Hornet. Looks nice though :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Caught a good wave on the camera, drat these are fun.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

argh basically the European version of the F4i.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

There really needs to be more white/red bikes. Such an awesome color combination.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I do this daily on my KLR.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pinny posted:

Basically a faired Hornet. Looks nice though :)

So Suzuki made the Bandit by taking the fully faired GSX sports-bike and turning it into a competent but slightly dull street fighter, then Honda built the Hornet essentially from scratch as a slightly more dull street fighter to compete with the Bandit, now they're turning it into a fully faired sports-bike?

:byobear:

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Silver posted:

Oh lol, that's not me. :) I've got 22k on the CBR I have though, still not enough. :(

content... It's almost time.

Fiat jumped ship from Yamaha too? Does this mean Ducati have finally dumped Marlboro?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

anothertenbux posted:

Fiat jumped ship from Yamaha too? Does this mean Ducati have finally dumped Marlboro?

I think that picture is just a fan-made 'shop, at least I hope it is, because it looks awful.

But yes, Fiat will want to sponsor whatever team Rossi rides for, the man is almost a minor deity in Italy. If Ducati bring them on board then I reckon Marlboro might become a joint or secondary sponsor.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

-Inu- posted:

If I had been comparing beyond 2 bikes I'd go with something like an SV for sure. Nothing that bike can't do well.

Content...pictures from Tally finally got posted online :D

Body. Off. The. Bike. Please!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think that picture is just a fan-made 'shop, at least I hope it is, because it looks awful.

But yes, Fiat will want to sponsor whatever team Rossi rides for, the man is almost a minor deity in Italy. If Ducati bring them on board then I reckon Marlboro might become a joint or secondary sponsor.

Yeah it's a fan mock up. Also "Almost" a minor deity, I think you meant "IS" a minor deity. The races in Italy next year are going to explode. Good lord.

Content...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Body. Off. The. Bike. Please!
I know right. The instructors were like "hey yeah don't bother leaning off" and I was like "ok :downs:". Figured I should probably start leaning off during the session those pictures were taken when my toe hit the ground before my knee.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

-Inu- posted:

I know right. The instructors were like "hey yeah don't bother leaning off" and I was like "ok :downs:". Figured I should probably start leaning off during the session those pictures were taken when my toe hit the ground before my knee.

:psyduck: what for!? Did they want you to find the max lean or something?

I've never come close to a huge lean cause I hang off on normal street corners and have never hit a track. Everything I've learned was that the more upright the bike is thru the turn, the better traction you have and the faster you can run it. (obviously referring to street noobs like myself, not the pros)

poo poo sometimes I just hang an rear end over the edge and rotate my knee out just so I don't have to use the bars around town.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Because honestly, it doesn't matter. People make BP out to be this huge, big deal, about how the bike must stay upright, you need to get off the bike, blah blah blah, and the truth is, it doesn't matter.

Here's Troy Bayliss:

3 time WSBK champion. Led a motoGP race from start to finish as a wild card rider. Dude can ride with the best of them.

Rides crossed up at hell.

The fact is, when you get to real max lean, you don't have enough space between the ground and your bike to hang off "properly", so you end up with an rear end check off the seat and most of your body tucked up next to the bike.

The problem with hanging off on the street is that the things that cause you to lose traction while riding mostly upright are going to cause you to lose traction regardless. In that situation, it's better to be hanging off less because the less you hang off, the more control you have when the bike starts sliding.

I'd have a fully funded race team if I had a dollar for every new rider who goes out to the track, hangs off like a monkey, and has the worst lines because they're trying to "get their body positioning right". BP doesn't make you fast, it doesn't make you safer, it doesn't do much of anything until you're dragging pegs in every corner, all the time. And if you're dragging pegs in every corner, all the time, and not pushing the front of the A group, then your lines suck, you're probably off the gas too long, and all the BP in the world won't help you fix that.

BP is the most questionable gain that you can possibly have from any riding skill, and the easiest for people to access. Which is why any halfway decent track instructor will say "Forget about BP, focus on corner entry, lines, throttle application, and getting pinned". Because all of those things help you go faster. BP helps you look better in pictures.

Inu, your toe was hitting the ground before your knee because you're rotating your knee forward, not out.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 3, 2010

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Z3n posted:

Because honestly, it doesn't matter. People make BP out to be this huge, big deal, about how the bike must stay upright, you need to get off the bike, blah blah blah, and the truth is, it doesn't matter.

Here's Troy Bayliss:

3 time WSBK champion. Led a motoGP race from start to finish as a wild card rider. Dude can ride with the best of them.

Rides crossed up at hell.

The fact is, when you get to real max lean, you don't have enough space between the ground and your bike to hang off "properly", so you end up with an rear end check off the seat and most of your body tucked up next to the bike.

The problem with hanging off on the street is that the things that cause you to lose traction while riding mostly upright are going to cause you to lose traction regardless. In that situation, it's better to be hanging off less because the less you hang off, the more control you have when the bike starts sliding.

I'd have a fully funded race team if I had a dollar for every new rider who goes out to the track, hangs off like a monkey, and has the worst lines because they're trying to "get their body positioning right". BP doesn't make you fast, it doesn't make you safer, it doesn't do much of anything until you're dragging pegs in every corner, all the time. And if you're dragging pegs in every corner, all the time, and not pushing the front of the A group, then your lines suck, you're probably off the gas too long, and all the BP in the world won't help you fix that.

BP is the most questionable gain that you can possibly have from any riding skill, and the easiest for people to access. Which is why any halfway decent track instructor will say "Forget about BP, focus on corner entry, lines, throttle application, and getting pinned". Because all of those things help you go faster. BP helps you look better in pictures.

Inu, your toe was hitting the ground before your knee because you're rotating your knee forward, not out.

If you look at Inu though, he is almost straight up and down with the bike and using quite a bit more lean angle than necessary. After lowsiding once because of bad bp, I pay pretty careful attention about lean angle and bp. There is an edge to the tire, and if you aren't moving your body, you will be able to find it.

I do agree, however, that you can be crossed up as hell and be fast as hell. There are plenty of WSBK/MotoGP/AMA/CCS/WERA riders that do this, but the thing is that they really get their butts off of the seat. They just don't stick their knee out because like you said, they have most of their body tucked into the side of the bike.

I think it was twist of the wrist that had a good diagram of what various body positions did with the CG of the bike and the contact patch of the tire.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

So Suzuki made the Bandit by taking the fully faired GSX sports-bike and turning it into a competent but slightly dull street fighter.

No. The Bandit has always been a designed as a naked. Suzuki has only recently started to chuck fairings on them to make the GSXF bikes. As for the slightly dull, that only refers to the smaller 600/650 models and the newer 1250. The original oil-cooled 1200s were complete nutters.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Doubt it, Philip-Morris puts a lot of money into Ducati Corse for MotoGP, basically paying for the entire thing. Xerox did the same in WSBK.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
This is all body positioning you need to know

I gotta stand up because my handlebar is almost touching the floor, bitches :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Most of the top riders don't get more than a single rear end cheek off. Obviously, there's exceptions. Elias is definitely one, but he rides so crossed up it pretty much boggles the mind. But even with those extremes in mind, the top riders get no where near the BP of your typical C or B group trackday rider. If you're getting one rear end cheek off the bike and your head somewhere to the inside-ish of the gas cap, you've got about as much gain as you're going to get from BP.

It's just not that important. If you're not riding it like a supermoto, BP is a convenient scapegoat, because there's this assumption that if you had another 1-2 degrees of lean angle available in reserve there wouldn't have been an accident, but it's wrong. You hit something slick, you apply too much throttle, you tense up on the bars, your suspension is set up funny or too harsh or too soft, all of these things are way more important than body positioning. And focusing too much on body positioning will have a negative affect on line choice, when you get on the gas, when you get on the brakes, and just about every other aspect of riding a motorcycle quick around a track. Control riders tell people to forget about BP because at absolute you'd gain a minuscule amount of time when you're sacrificing tens of seconds by staying off the gas too long, not getting pinned, coasting, not braking consistently, and a thousand and one other newbie mistakes everyone makes as they progress.

Here's a visual comparison: Me on my SV, and my friend on his R6. I'm faster than him, following him to video. He's got his elbow on the ground, I don't even have a knee down. I can't find the other picture in the photostream, but our bikes are at a nearly identical lean angle, despite my worse body position, and higher cornerspeed. He's got better tires, higher pegs, better suspension, better BP, is going slower, and yet is using the same amount of lean angle that I am. Why? Because his better body position doesn't even begin to make up for the flaws in his riding elsewhere. And it won't magically do it for anyone else either. He's got probably the best BP of anyone I've ever met, could drag elbow on just about any corner on the track, but it just flat out doesn't make a significant difference.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 4, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Thanks for the detailed write up, it's definitely interesting.

However, I don't know about other people, but when I was talking about hanging off the bike I was referring pretty much to your positioning in that picture. Slide the rear end over, lean the shoulders out and look past the rear-view mirror.

I can also already see my noobie problems in what you described there, if I ever get around to getting some riding videos converted and uploaded(an unbearable pain in the rear end, converting, rotating, splitting, etc.) I know I slow way too early, but then again I'm on a rural street road, probably at or over the limit, and I just haven't spent enough time with my front brake to know how hard I can hit it in spirited backroad driving.

I just need to find myself a track next season....now I'm nervous :ohdear:

Edit: Looking again at that last pic...that's wild. Is any part of his rear end on the seat or is it just thigh?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 4, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's just a personal pet peeve, honestly.

It seems like it's always the #1 thing that people comment on (understandably, because it's the only thing that's really easy to comment on), and the #1 thing that people want to know about. If you want to pose for the pictures, than sure, hang off like crazy, but if you're interested in riding faster, safer, you're best off making sure that you're getting to full lean quickly and consistently, you're not making any midcorner corrections to your lines, you're obeying the throttle rules, and you're getting to full throttle as often and as soon as possible. The gains of even excellent BP are small at best.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I feel like I always had the conception that if you do hit a slick the farther you're leaned the worse, so I always tried to keep it more upright, but I've been wrong before.

Regardless, all of my experience is on the street which just naturally makes me more hesitant to see if it'll go that little bit farther. I hate riding on the street :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

I feel like I always had the conception that if you do hit a slick the farther you're leaned the worse, so I always tried to keep it more upright, but I've been wrong before.

Regardless, all of my experience is on the street which just naturally makes me more hesitant to see if it'll go that little bit farther. I hate riding on the street :(

You are better off if you're more upright when you hit something slick.

You aren't better off if you hit something slick when you're way disconnected from the bike because you're hanging off like crazy and unable properly continue to weight the pegs and control your body weight.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The rear of the bike sliding isn't the end of the world like everyone thinks. I got to play with the rear sliding everywhere from 20mph busstop corner to full throttle 3rd gear doing 90mph with a little lean angle... scary at first, then you get used to it and just let the bike do its thing. As long as you don't chop the throttle or do something weird you'll be fine.

Either way, the street isn't the place to learn the limits of your front brake or sliding a bike around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

BlackMK4 posted:

The rear of the bike sliding isn't the end of the world like everyone thinks. I got to play with the rear sliding everywhere from 20mph busstop corner to full throttle 3rd gear doing 90mph with a little lean angle... scary at first, then you get used to it and just let the bike do its thing. As long as you don't chop the throttle or do something weird you'll be fine.

Either way, the street isn't the place to learn the limits of your front brake or sliding a bike around.

When you are the instigator of the slide, it can be fun and controllable. When you hit a slick or gravel on the road, you can be down in a second. I hit a patch of gravel on the insanely twisty northern end of Highway 1 in California, and my rear tire slid out a couple feet nearly dumping me. Didn't low or high side it fortunately, I guess my rock solid reflexes helped me out. (luck)

Another time, North of Whistler, BC, I hit a gravel patch on a long right hand sweeper and my front end tucked about a foot. My face almost smashed into my windshield and my right hand slipped off the handle grip. Pants making GBS threads.

So yeah, the tires sliding aren't always the end of the world, but they definitely can be. I've always found it harder to control my bike when hanging off like a monkey so now I just lean with it where it feels normal, and not like a retard Rossi wannabe.

Also why is this turning into the discussion thread :(