Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I think that We Major is probably one of the greatest songs ever recorded. God drat that song is amazing, its this towering behemoth of hip hop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

Chim posted:

I think that We Major is probably one of the greatest songs ever recorded. God drat that song is amazing, its this towering behemoth of hip hop

:lol: That song is good, but you also have Nas, in part, to thank for that, but yeah, kanye od'd on that track and that chorus.

He did good work for Nas on HHID.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
We Major is on an entire 'nother level and everybody but me slept on it forever.

I was at a Q-Tip DJ gig where Kanye showed up and went and chilled in the DJ booth and Tip spun and rewound the track four times in a row and it was sublime.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Heard posted:

By the way, have any of you ever thought Kanye's music doesn't have good shelf life?

I listen to "Good Life", "Stronger", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", "Heard 'Em Say ft. Adam Levine", and it's dated! Those songs were hot for about six months. Now, forget about it.

Not any more so than any other artist. Yeah, I can kind of hear the environment the music was made in when I listen to it, but that's part of the charm. Listening to College Dropout you hear the culmination of all the early Kanye production like Izzo and Heart of the City coming together in album format and basically creating the blueprint for tons of music that was released in that period of the 2000s. It's fine that the album sounds like it belongs in that period, because it does.

I would say the same for Graduation because it draws heavily on what was going on in hip hop at the time, but it embraces it and extends it. I was never a huge T-Pain fan, but Good Life was drat good song, and it still is.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm not really into this as much as some but I'm glad he made Runaway and is making an effort even if it isn't a 100% success or grand slam. I won't say much about his real life theatrics.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
It isn't kosher to post links obviously but All of the Lights and Gorgeous both leaked today. Apparently Gorgeous is really really good but I'm holding off until the album comes out

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I listened to All of the Lights but not Gorgeous (I've already heard most of it from the HOT97 "freestyle"). Honestly AotL is really cluttered and frantic and I don't really like it that much, but I'm sure it'll be a hit.

gently caress Fergie though.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

Brett824 posted:

I listened to All of the Lights but not Gorgeous (I've already heard most of it from the HOT97 "freestyle"). Honestly AotL is really cluttered and frantic and I don't really like it that much, but I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Are you out of your flippin' skull. Fergie is god. Have you seen her video with Slash?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Brett824 posted:

All of the Lights is probably my favorite new track. I happen to love that there is so much going on the whole track.

but wait, is this leaked one the full-version that supposedly had 11 guests? If so I didn't hear this yet.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

the Bunt posted:

All of the Lights is probably my favorite new track. I happen to love that there is so much going on the whole track.

but wait, is this leaked one the full-version that supposedly had 11 guests? If so I didn't hear this yet.

Yeah.

I enjoyed the earlier leaks but with Fergie and Elton John and Cudi and Rihanna it's just... too much.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I just heard it now, and I gotta agree. The Runaway version was probably my favorite

and what happened to Drake?!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

the Bunt posted:

I just heard it now, and I gotta agree. The Runaway version was probably my favorite

and what happened to Drake?!

Rumor is that he was never even on the song to begin with, and the leak with him was just an edit. It's a shame because Drake wouldn't have been bad on it.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
I still love All of the Lights, the beat is straight fire! Infact, I would probably listen to it more just as an instrumental.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm kind of disappointed that basically all of the non-Rihanna singers on All of the Lights have about ten seconds of play. I guess an Elton John hook was too much to ask for :sigh:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Does Elton John even know what rap bars are? :D

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just to give a heads up, there is going to be a webcast by the Kanye himself at

http://www.ustream.tv/kanyewest

in a little less then 2 hours (supposedly it will be at 4:00 for those on the East)

Tenna
Nov 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Brett824 posted:

Even Fergie can't ruin a beat that good. She sure as hell tried though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Korak posted:

Does Elton John even know what rap bars are? :D

Elton John has done a few different things in and around the rap world, most notably he did a duet with Eminem at some award show, where he sang the Dido part of Stan while Em rapped. This came right after Em got accused of being super homophobic, if I remember correctly.

That said, All of the Lights is really crowded, and they could get rid of everyone except Kanye, Rhiana and Fergie and it would be a lot better.

Also, Fergie can be very good in a song, and I really like the latest Black Eyed Peas CD as something that you can hear in a club and just dance to. I liked the site that I heard it on, they said she sounded a lot like MIA, which I totally agree with.

Happyjuice
Mar 5, 2009

Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.
I really don't like All of the Lights. Actually, during the 30 minute RUNAWAY feature-film I remember hearing that song and being like "gently caress...this is going to be all over the radio in the next 2 months"

but what is the first song that plays in that mini-movie....while hes driving the tatra mtx "fantasized about this back in chicago, mercy mercy me that murcielago"

???
has that leaked yet?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Happyjuice posted:

I really don't like All of the Lights. Actually, during the 30 minute RUNAWAY feature-film I remember hearing that song and being like "gently caress...this is going to be all over the radio in the next 2 months"

but what is the first song that plays in that mini-movie....while hes driving the tatra mtx "fantasized about this back in chicago, mercy mercy me that murcielago"

???
has that leaked yet?

That song was Dark Fantasy. Only the movie rip version is floating around.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just to give a heads up, there is going to be a webcast by the Kanye himself at

http://www.ustream.tv/kanyewest

in a little less then 2 hours (supposedly it will be at 4:00 for those on the East)

He's live now!
e: aaaand off-air.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 4, 2010

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Holy crap the album packaging he's showing off is awesome

Sen Sen
Oct 12, 2008

Kraken would smash.
yeah that album packaging and artwork was extremely classy. I also think it's crazy to picture CyHi, Big Sean, and Kanye just hanging out as friends.. not coworkers, but legitimate friends that like to have fun together and have that family connection.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

the Bunt posted:

As for the movie, I love love love it...but man, he should have just made it dialogue-free. I really dug the first line "First rule of this world baby, don't pay attention to anything you see on the news!", but everything after that was hamfisted and cringeworthy.
This is how I felt about the video, I watched three times and I just felt myself tense up when the phoenix spoke. I wish he had incorporated more of the elements the Power video had into Runaway.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Interesting interview with Jay-Z about Watch The Throne.

Apparently him and Kanye were in the studio for 4 days and are almost finished. :psyduck:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Brett824 posted:

Interesting interview with Jay-Z about Watch The Throne.

Apparently him and Kanye were in the studio for 4 days and are almost finished. :psyduck:
They're going to spend a good 4+ months ironing out other parts of it though. Pretty sure Kanye has said Watch the Throne won't be coming out till next year, so my guess is the first day of the 2nd Business Quarter of 2011 it will drop.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
DJ Premier confirms Mama's Boyfriend as a bonus track for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

http://www.vibe.com/video/dj-premier-says-kanye-collaboration-never-materialized-adds-last-minutes-scratches-mamas-boyfr

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

haterade posted:

DJ Premier confirms Mama's Boyfriend as a bonus track for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

http://www.vibe.com/video/dj-premier-says-kanye-collaboration-never-materialized-adds-last-minutes-scratches-mamas-boyfr

From what I've heard this isn't a confirmation, as much as "DJ Premiere talked about Mama's Boyfriend" and the rest is extrapolated from that unconfirmed tracklist that was making rounds around the internet.

Also, Kanye West was named the #1 celebrity Twitter by Pitchfork. In other news, Pitchfork is still a joke.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brett824 posted:

From what I've heard this isn't a confirmation, as much as "DJ Premiere talked about Mama's Boyfriend" and the rest is extrapolated from that unconfirmed tracklist that was making rounds around the internet.

Also, Kanye West was named the #1 celebrity Twitter by Pitchfork. In other news, Pitchfork is still a joke.

#1 musician on Twitter. Who else would you have put at #1?

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
^^ Lil B the Based God.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Superchunk posted:

#1 musician on Twitter. Who else would you have put at #1?

No I mean the joke is the article in the first place.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brett824 posted:

No I mean the joke is the article in the first place.

Ah, well I guess you just get used to Pitchfork's pretty amateur journalism after a while. I remember when Sufjan announced the "All Delighted People" EP their headline was "NEW SUFJAN ALBUM!!!!!" For a few hours before they realized that it sounded like a 12 year old talking about the new Justin Bieber.

For those curious about the awesome album packaging, check the OP.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Superchunk posted:

Ah, well I guess you just get used to Pitchfork's pretty amateur journalism after a while. I remember when Sufjan announced the "All Delighted People" EP their headline was "NEW SUFJAN ALBUM!!!!!" For a few hours before they realized that it sounded like a 12 year old talking about the new Justin Bieber.

For those curious about the awesome album packaging, check the OP.

Granted, the new Sufjan album is pretty good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pitchfork is stupid hipster trash... unless they say something I agree with, then it's alright.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Can somebody please explain how the bird and monkey comment are supposed to be related to Amber Rose? She said that was supposed to be her at the dinner but I can't see how it relates to her. I can on the other hand see how the end is his pre-fame girlfriend.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Where can I find a listing of every G.O.O.D. Friday track? I've googled around to no avail.

Also, anyone catch a Hot 97 cut mixing studio Drake with live Drake? It was pretty tight but I can't find it online anyplace.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

aude omnia posted:

Where can I find a listing of every G.O.O.D. Friday track? I've googled around to no avail.

Also, anyone catch a Hot 97 cut mixing studio Drake with live Drake? It was pretty tight but I can't find it online anyplace.

http://kanyewest.com/#good_fridays

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
He took Monster off there?

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

EDIT: I'm a dumbbutt.

aude omnia fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

He took Monster off there?

Monster is being sold on the iTunes store right now as a single, so it got taken down. I expect the same thing will happen to So Appalled and DIAND when the album is released.

• Locked thread