Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How is Shutterfly? I don't really want to pay Flickr for more than the 100 MB limit. This will mostly be used for family and friends to look at, print, or order prints of my newborn so something easy to use and decent quality prints would be ideal. The ability to upload HD videos would be cool, too, but not a deal-breaker since I could use YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
FYI there's not just a 100MB limit but also a 200 photo limit !

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

It seems to me the site only survives because it's popular.. the interface is lovely and the community is even worse. But it got that critical mass and has become too big to fail.
I'm with Flickr solely because my ISP gets me a free Flickr Pro account :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Picasa gives 1GB for free, bumping up to 20GB is $5 a year. Their maximum is 16TB, for $4,000 a year.

I've been pretty content with it, their photo editing program isn't the coolest thing in the world but it works for managing your online folders.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't really see anything wrong with flickr. I don't get why people bitch about generic comments, if you don't like it you can ignore it or delete it. You can't really expect random people to spend hours and hours critiquing every photo they see whether they were asked or not. If you want good feedback there are some really good groups (forums) on the site that can help you out. You just have to search them out.

Flickr is really made for people who are "into" photography to:
A. Look at photos from photographers they know and don't know
and B. Post photos in a place where a lot people who have an interest in photography can find them.

If I'm looking for inspiration, flickr is the first place I'll go. There is more good content on there than a single person could look at in a life time. I really can't think of any other site like it.

As for posting to flickr, I post my work there for one simple reason: The more eyeballs that see my work, the better.

Other than being involved with other photographers/people into photography, as others have mentioned, flickr isn't really a good place to send friends/family/clients/people not really "into" photography. You probably want to consider more than one solution. With modern tools like Lightroom and Aperture, managing more than one hosting service is almost effortless.

As for me, I'll post all my artistic shots to flickr, snapshots to facebook (mostly drunk photos of friends), a custom website with a very selective portfolio for clients, and I'll use mobileme to host photos for private galleries for people to view and download if needed. One day when I feel like taking blogs seriously, I'll add a blog site into the mix.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I'm hoping maybe some of you guys can help me out with a Christmas present.

I know more or less nothing about photography. That said, my dad knows it all. He's a former professional photographer for a newspaper, did photo work work for the state police, did all the crappy weddings and senior pictures and what not before he had to sell most of his equipment years ago after our family came on some difficult times. He'd love to get back into it, but he would never admit that to anyone.

So, my mother and I are looking to pitch in and get him a modern camera roughly equivalent to what he used to have. His old rig (that I can remember) was a Canon 35mm. He had a poo poo ton of lenses for it though that he could do anything from a sit down picture, to taking a picture half a mile away, to time lapse stuff. My mom says he was always partial to Canon and Nikon, so if possible I'd like to go with those brands. We don't want to spend a TON of money, but we also want to get him something that will let him do at least most of what he used to be able to with his old equipment and something that he can get additional lenses for if he wants to get back into it heavily again. We're looking to try to keep it around $500, but if there's one that stands out that's a little bit more we'd consider it. Knowing what little I do, here's the one we're considering:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120278

Any thoughts on this one, or other suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
A lot of people will recommend buying a used camera, but being that it's a gift that seems kind of weird to me. Maybe it's not and it's just me. If you do go used, you could probably get a Canon 40D for around that price.

The camera you selected, the XS, is a good camera, but given your dad has a lot of experience he might want something more advanced down the road.

Edit: Also, that's an awesome gift. :3:

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 4, 2010

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Depending on how old your dad is, and how willing he would be to purchase additional lenses, you might want to consider getting him a high end point and shoot. I'm sure he enjoyed his days as a photographer, but he might not be willing to shoot in raw, and learn digital processing to play around with modern photography.

e: My dad is almost 60 and told me he would rather have a compact camera that doesn't need any processing. Although my dad was a hobbyist, and loves shopping, so accessories/lenses were almost his favourite part of photography.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 4, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Any chance he'd rather get back into film? You can get a much bigger bang for your buck with a 1990's film camera body. If he had a professional film body back in the day, an XS will be a significant step down in terms of camera body features and the kit lens that comes with it will also be considerably worse.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Depending on how old your dad is, and how willing he would be to purchase additional lenses, you might want to consider getting him a high end point and shoot. I'm sure he enjoyed his days as a photographer, but he might not be willing to shoot in raw, and learn digital processing to play around with modern photography.

e: My dad is almost 60 and told me he would rather have a compact camera that doesn't need any processing. Although my dad was a hobbyist, and loves shopping, so accessories/lenses were almost his favourite part of photography.

My dad is 54, so not too far off from your dad. He does, however, LOVE playing around on the computer, so I don't think he'd mind learning all the digital processing and stuff. I think he's already done a fair amount of it, because he's taken lots of old family pictures, scanned them, and cleared them up and poo poo like that. I'm guessing that if we get him a nicer camera, he'll be into buying the lenses and crap, because I can remember his bag that he took with him to do crime scene pictures for the state police and there was probably 10 or so different lenses just in that bag.

spf3million posted:

Any chance he'd rather get back into film? You can get a much bigger bang for your buck with a 1990's film camera body. If he had a professional film body back in the day, an XS will be a significant step down in terms of camera body features and the kit lens that comes with it will also be considerably worse.

He may, but he doesn't have access to a darkroom or anything anymore, and he always developed his own film and such. But like I mentioned above, he's pretty big into computers and stuff now, so I don't think that would be an impediment to him. It may be preferable, really. I'm not especially looking to match what he had, because my mom said she thought his main camera (the Canon) cost around $700 - $800, and this would have been in the mid to late 70s. I'm sure if I wanted to match that, I'd be into the multiple thousands now. I'm basically looking for something to kind of get him back into it a bit, and if he gets the bug again he can upgrade either the camera itself or get some additional lenses for it.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

A lot of people will recommend buying a used camera, but being that it's a gift that seems kind of weird to me. Maybe it's not and it's just me. If you do go used, you could probably get a Canon 40D for around that price.

The camera you selected, the XS, is a good camera, but given your dad has a lot of experience he might want something more advanced down the road.

Edit: Also, that's an awesome gift. :3:

Yeah, I think I'd probably want to stick with new, though I don't think he'd necessarily care. My uncle still does some professional work, and the camera I linked is the one he takes out to do weddings and poo poo, and he thought it might be a good one to go with and that he could upgrade later if he wanted. He's a bit of a pillbilly though, so I didn't know for sure if he knew what he was talking about and figured maybe you guys could help.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll take whatever thoughts/help/comments I can get.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

stimpy posted:

He may, but he doesn't have access to a darkroom or anything anymore, and he always developed his own film and such. But like I mentioned above, he's pretty big into computers and stuff now, so I don't think that would be an impediment to him. It may be preferable, really. I'm not especially looking to match what he had, because my mom said she thought his main camera (the Canon) cost around $700 - $800, and this would have been in the mid to late 70s. I'm sure if I wanted to match that, I'd be into the multiple thousands now. I'm basically looking for something to kind of get him back into it a bit, and if he gets the bug again he can upgrade either the camera itself or get some additional lenses for it.
Loud and clear about wanting digital, just wanted to add that a $100 film camera from the 90s will be far better features-wise than his pro camera which cost $700 in the 70s (matching it with a digital body will definitely run into the quadruple digits). You can still get film developed at a drug store and scan it at home then play with it on the computer or have the developer scan them for you and put them on a CD to share online. $400 extra to spend on a better lens would go a long way. The XS is pretty much the lowest entry level dSLR nowadays FYI.

Ok that's the last I'll say about film. I'm sure he will love whatever you decide to get him :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How is your dad's eyesight? Not for nothing, but the entry level Canons (and Nikons, I'm not picking on a brand here) have some pretty small and dim viewfinders. That would be my only concern.

edit: Though I think the XS offers Live View so that might be OK.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whatever you buy from the brands he likes will be fine, but I prefer Canon's entry level stuff (Nikon 3100 is nice but expense last time I checked).
From the D90/40D on, both brands make stuff that's just great, and features+ergonomics should dictate what you get.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

spf3million posted:

Loud and clear about wanting digital, just wanted to add that a $100 film camera from the 90s will be far better features-wise than his pro camera which cost $700 in the 70s (matching it with a digital body will definitely run into the quadruple digits). You can still get film developed at a drug store and scan it at home then play with it on the computer or have the developer scan them for you and put them on a CD to share online. $400 extra to spend on a better lens would go a long way. The XS is pretty much the lowest entry level dSLR nowadays FYI.

Ok that's the last I'll say about film. I'm sure he will love whatever you decide to get him :3:

Something to think about then. I may have to poke around and gauge his feelings on digital vs. film.

I was trying to find something like the one he used to have, just for comparison purposes, and this either is, or is REALLY similar to the Canon he used to have:

This one has an AE-1 stamped on it, which looks familiar to me, but its been 20 years at least since I've seen it, so I'm not sure, and I have no clue what all this one does.

Martytoof posted:

How is your dad's eyesight? Not for nothing, but the entry level Canons (and Nikons, I'm not picking on a brand here) have some pretty small and dim viewfinders. That would be my only concern.

edit: Though I think the XS offers Live View so that might be OK.

He wears glasses, but he always has. If the viewfinder is comparable to the camera I posted the pic of, I'd say he'll be fine with it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

stimpy posted:

He wears glasses, but he always has. If the viewfinder is comparable to the camera I posted the pic of, I'd say he'll be fine with it.

The old film SLR's have much brighter viewfinders then new DSLR's which have dim, lovely optics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much bigger too. I think the only cameras that can really compare to the old film SLRs are the Canon 5d series and maybe the Nikon D3s (but I haven't really looked at a D3 yet so I can't say for sure). Nikon D700 as well, maybe since it's full frame, but all three of these are way over your budget :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Man, you and your mom are awesome. I imagine that he does secretly want to get back into it, but when you have lots of responsibilities it seems really selfish to spend money on yourself. Giving him a camera might just be the "permission" his mind needs to enjoy himself.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how you might be able to get something that's a step up from the XS w/ a lens for around $500, but I don't think it's possible. Ultimately I'm sure he'll love whatever you get him and the XS will certainly take great photos.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

jabro posted:

How is Shutterfly?
Dunno about their gallery setup, but I've gotten prints done there, a few posters, a calendar and a couple of photo books. I've always hated their interface, the small oversharpened versions it gives you while you're setting up orders.
The print quality on the photo books and calendar was a little weaksauce, but given the price I'm not sure one can expect better. Whatever, the non-photographers loved them. Prints have come out satisfactory, and I haven't spotted any problems that might not be my own lack of calibration or mistakes setting up crops appropriately. Definitely good enough for mom, maybe good enough for pixel peepers too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the XS will take beautiful photos on par with any camera when used correctly. It's not the gear that takes the photo it's the photographer. I'm sure he'll love it not only for the camera itself but that you guys put a lot of thought into it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't worry about the viewfinder too much. Viewfinder is crucially important when you're shooting film and there are no do-overs but with digital you've got more leeway.

I think he'd probably be thrilled with just about anything even if it's just to get him started. After all, it's more about the notion and intent of the present than the present itself. That said, you want to get him something that he won't hit the wall with in a few months. I think a Rebel with a kit lens would be a good way to start. You don't want to spend too much either because then he'll probably feel kind of guilty about taking the present. Parents can be that way sometimes after they've spent all their working lives slaving away for the sake of the family.

One route you may want to look at is refurbished camera bodies. They come in a box and everything, just a white box instead of a proper Canon box. But the manuals and cables all come wrapped in plastic, so it's pretty much like getting a new camera. I bought a refurbished XTi a while ago and it has been good to me.

EDIT: The USA Canon eStore has refurbished Rebel XSi bodies with kit lens for $500. XS with kit is $400 and T1i with kit is $600.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 4, 2010

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Parents can be that way sometimes after they've spent all their working lives slaving away for the sake of the family.
They do, but they also enjoy being spoiled by their kids (as long as you can afford the present) I bought my dad a touch screen laptop, something he wouldn't purchase for himself, but he certainly loves it. It's nice to be the one who gets to enjoy a nice new toy for once.

quote:

One route you may want to look at is refurbished camera bodies. They come in a box and everything, just a white box instead of a proper Canon box. But the manuals and cables all come wrapped in plastic, so it's pretty much like getting a new camera.

Absolutely take a look at the Canon Loyalty Program, current prices are here:
What is the cost? Prices were reduced in Mid October 2010 to the current levels of:
Canon XS - $319.99
Canon XS with 18-55 Kit Lens - $399.99
Canon T1i - $415.99
Canon T1i with 18-55 Kit Lens - $479.99
Canon 40D - $559.20
Canon 40D with 28-135 Kit Lens - $719.20
Canon 50D - $719.20
Canon 50D with 28-135 Kit Lens - $839.20
Canon 7D - $1,087.20
Canon 5D Mark II - $1,599.20 (Removed from Program November 1, 2010)
You will be charged state sales tax for the state your credit card is issued.

The T1i is within your price range, and a big step up from the Xs (ISO wise, screen , it's just awesome, and there is pretty much no difference between refurb/new)

Details available here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=948785

It doesn't sound like you can really push the budget any more, but if you have any brothers/sisters/other relatives that would kick in a few bucks, the 40D with the 28-135 would probably be something that would last your dad a lot longer/forever if he's not too much of a pixel peeper.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jabro posted:

How is Shutterfly? I don't really want to pay Flickr for more than the 100 MB limit. This will mostly be used for family and friends to look at, print, or order prints of my newborn so something easy to use and decent quality prints would be ideal. The ability to upload HD videos would be cool, too, but not a deal-breaker since I could use YouTube.

The basic version of smug mug is $40 a year and is perfect for family sharing. It's a bit more expensive, but ordering prints and sharing albums couldn't be any simpler.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
stimpy, one small thing to also keep in mind is to make sure your dad is willing to haul a large camera with him again. P&S cameras are so attractive partly because they're almost always with you. Awesome gift, by the way.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

They do, but they also enjoy being spoiled by their kids (as long as you can afford the present) I bought my dad a touch screen laptop, something he wouldn't purchase for himself, but he certainly loves it. It's nice to be the one who gets to enjoy a nice new toy for once.

What is the cost? Prices were reduced in Mid October 2010 to the current levels of:
Canon XS - $319.99
Canon T1i - $415.99
Canon 40D - $559.20
Canon 50D - $719.20
Canon 7D - $1,087.20

The T1i is within your price range, and a big step up from the Xs (ISO wise, screen , it's just awesome, and there is pretty much no difference between refurb/new)

Details available here:

It doesn't sound like you can really push the budget any more, but if you have any brothers/sisters/other relatives that would kick in a few bucks, the 40D with the 28-135 would probably be something that would last your dad a lot longer/forever if he's not too much of a pixel peeper.

oh man, that's awesome. We could definitely swing the T1i with the lens using this. If we could get my cheap rear end brother to toss in 150 or so, we could probably do the 40D. I can seriously just take an old generic point and shoot and trade it in and get 20% off? I read the FAQ on that link like three times to make sure, but that just seems too good.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Canon XS - $319.99
Canon T1i - $415.99
Canon 40D - $559.20
Canon 50D - $719.20
Canon 7D - $1,087.20

Details available here:

oh man, that's awesome. We could definitely swing the T1i with the lens using this. If we could get my cheap rear end brother to toss in 150 or so, we could probably do the 40D. I can seriously just take an old generic point and shoot and trade it in and get 20% off? I read the FAQ on that link like three times to make sure, but that just seems too good.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

stimpy, one small thing to also keep in mind is to make sure your dad is willing to haul a large camera with him again. P&S cameras are so attractive partly because they're almost always with you. Awesome gift, by the way.

I doubt that he'd be doing the heavy professional work that he used to with it, but for stuff like family reunions and poo poo I'm sure he wouldn't mind. One of the biggest things he used his old gear for was me after I was born. There are tons and tons of black and white and color pictures of me that look amazing because they were shot on a real camera by someone who knows what they're doing as opposed to someone like me who points, twists around, and hits a button. My brother just had their first grandchild over the summer, so I guarantee that's where most of the use would come from. Shooting an occasional wedding, or something like that might be something he'd like to get back into, but I don't think he'd be lugging it around every day like he used to.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

stimpy posted:

Shooting an occasional wedding, or something like that might be something he'd like to get back into, but I don't think he'd be lugging it around every day like he used to.

All the more reason to opt for a Rebel over an xxD model. Rebels are compact and light. The kit lens is compact and light compared to something like the good old Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Now there's only one thing left to worry about.

"Merry Christmas, dad!"

"Wh-what is it?"

"It's a digital SLR! Go on! Take a photo!"

*click*

"My god... the photo... it appears instantly!"

"Dad, are you okay?"

"Life... wasted! Could have taken so many more great photos! Nooooooooo!"

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

quote:

What?? They removed it ? :argh:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

stimpy posted:

As long as its a Canon P&S you should be set. If you don't have one you can probably troll Craigslist or ask your facebook for one.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I noticed a weird problem with certain types of 120mm film in my Diana camera. The 800 ISO film never rolls up properly after shooting it. Basically, a part of it portrudes from the spool's edges eventhough it's still tightly rolled up. I didn't have this problem with 400 ISO or 100 ISO but at the other hand I don't really understand why the ISO would affect that at all.

A photographer tried something with a little piece of tape at the bottom of the loading spool but that didn't actually seem to work.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

I'm sure he'll love it not only for the camera itself but that you guys put a lot of thought into it.
Seconding this. I was going to say that your dad could sell the body and upgrade to something in a year if he feels like he's hitting a wall. Then I thought about it some more - your father will absolutely loving love this present, it will be the present he talks about for decades. He will never, ever sell this camera, and will love the everloving gently caress out of it for the rest of his life. Think about it: it's the present his wife and kids gave him to get him back into the very serious hobby he used to love.

Best christmas present from a goon this year, in my opinion.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

spf3million posted:

Actually, he could probably get a used 35mm body for almost nothing to go along with whichever DSLR he picks. I don't know anything about EOS 35mm models, but there are a ton on KEH for under $20 that probably work great.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Seconding this. I was going to say that your dad could sell the body and upgrade to something in a year if he feels like he's hitting a wall. Then I thought about it some more - your father will absolutely loving love this present, it will be the present he talks about for decades. He will never, ever sell this camera, and will love the everloving gently caress out of it for the rest of his life. Think about it: it's the present his wife and kids gave him to get him back into the very serious hobby he used to love.

Best christmas present from a goon this year, in my opinion.

well thanks for the thoughts. And I appreciate all the help you guys have given me so far, I'd still just be looking at random websites by this point without all your help.

I've got a family friend that works at a pawn shop, and she said they get in Canon 40D's every now and then. She said that if they got one in, she'd let me know, and she'd sell it to me for $500 with a lens, tops. It looks like those retail for around 1k, so that would be awesome if they had one come in. I'm going to wait a couple weeks and see if I can work that, and if not, I'm going to grab a broken Canon on ebay and do the loyalty program I think and grab a T1i.

I'll probably have some more questions before I get everything squared away, so I hope you guys don't mind helping me out a bit more.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have a stupid question.

How much of a total waste of $8 would it be for me to buy a cheapo IR filter? I've got a Pentax K10D, and I'm thinking of getting an IR filter for the kit lens, 18-55mm. Googling leads to some vague descriptions of IR-cutting glass in front of the sensor, and much talk of modifying cameras, which I do not wish to do. Will an IR filter just result in blackness and boredom, or is there a possibility I can get some interesting / fun pictures, even at 2 or 3 stops penalty?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Let's talk gloves. I shot some stuff tonight, spur of the moment, and it was 29F. My hands were frigid after 20 minutes and it was hard to work any of the functions on the camera. Any recommendations for thin gloves that will keep my hands a bit warmer>

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's talk gloves. I shot some stuff tonight, spur of the moment, and it was 29F. My hands were frigid after 20 minutes and it was hard to work any of the functions on the camera. Any recommendations for thin gloves that will keep my hands a bit warmer>

Fingerless hobo gloves work pretty well in that temp range.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

It looks like they've discontinued the gloves I and some other goon have, but they're similar to these.

Mine happen to be from Under Armour, but really you're just looking for a pair of liner gloves. These are thin gloves with a grippy material on the fingers and palm, designed to be worn inside heavier gloves or mitts. The idea is when you need to be able to use your fingers, you pop off the heavy outer gloves, do what you need to do, and don't lose anything to frostbite.

I have several different pairs of gloves built along these lines, and for manipulating camera controls you definately want something with something other than just cotton or polyester on the fingertips. Lots of gloves have a leather or something patch on the palms, but this is much less useful than grip material covering the fingertips of at least the first 2 fingers.

Get a loose-fitting pair of heavy outer gloves, too, and put your hands in them to warm up during periods of inactivity. You can get out of such gloves in less than a second when it's time to work again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I bought a cheap pair of regular gloves and cut out the pads of the thumb and index finger on the right one. That's really all you need for manipulating your average SLR.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Once again, being from Florida, the only time I wear gloves is when I'm cleaning the toilet. However, I have heard great things about these: http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/aquatech-sensory-gloves.html

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

How would a Canon T1i compare to the Nikon in this thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362605

And if someone has tons of time, what do you look at to even compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

stimpy posted:

How would a Canon T1i compare to the Nikon in this thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362605

And if someone has tons of time, what do you look at to even compare?

The D70 is a six year old camera that Moses probably used to take snapshots while he was crossing the Red Sea. The T1i would mop the floor with the D70.