Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pwn posted:

What brand is CA-1011?

The brand that doesn't infringe any trademarks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

The brand that doesn't infringe any trademarks. :v:

It seriously looks like someone just spilled a little white-out over the C A N O N on his pop-up flash too. It's great.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ZoCrowes posted:

Using the kit lens

And a Rebel, apparently :v:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Martytoof posted:

And a Rebel, apparently :v:

Pffffft, he doesn't even have IS for God's sake! He's only got a Rebel XTi!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

dunkman posted:

I'm having a huge slugfest over in SA-Mart with the host of my photo gallery domain (Tfatf.com).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=991927&pagenumber=84#lastpost
Wow that was quite the meltdown over there. It was a back and forth battle for a while with both sides striking blows and the audience getting into the action. Then out of nowhere, the avalanche hit in support of dunks and it was over before Hytek knew what hit him. Glad you got your domain back.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

pseudonordic posted:

Pffffft, he doesn't even have IS for God's sake! He's only got a Rebel XTi!

Hey it's a tough economy right now. Even the Daily Planet has to make some cutbacks.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

spf3million posted:

Wow that was quite the meltdown over there. It was a back and forth battle for a while with both sides striking blows and the audience getting into the action. Then out of nowhere, the avalanche hit in support of dunks and it was over before Hytek knew what hit him. Glad you got your domain back.

I don't have it back just yet, I'm waiting for the transfer to go through. He can lock it back down at any moment until the transfer goes through.

I do have a filled out document for the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection ready to mail in.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

DJExile posted:

It seriously looks like someone just spilled a little white-out over the C A N O N on his pop-up flash too. It's great.

Oh man, I should totally try painting bits and pieces over my XT's logo sometime and make it look like a cheap Chinese knockoff.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Zack Arias is great - http://www.zarias.com/top-10-ways-to-become-a-professional-photographer/

quote:

#10 – Breathe! – I can’t tell you how important it is to constantly breathe when you are professional photographer. Not only does it help you make great photos but if you can keep breathing long enough after a photoshoot then you’ll be able to collect the check from the client. Try different kinds of breathing too! In through the nose and out the mouth. Or in and out of the mouth. Talk to your customers about how you like it in and out of the mouth.

#9 – Try out a digital camera! - Boy howdy! Digital cameras are becoming all the rage in 2010! For only a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars you can take photos that don’t need film! Digital photography allows you to take pictures and see them as soon as they are downloaded on a computer! It’s almost instant! The Russians have now developed computer tools to work on your digital photographs! Check out this internet web site with all the details! If you buy a digital camera make sure you get a good one like a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, or iPhone.

#8 – Everytime you see a tree… take a photo of it! – Have you ever thought about how important trees are in the world? They help us achieve number 10 on this list! Everyone loves trees and if you have a lot of pictures of trees everyone will love you. When showing your photos of trees to people talk about how you were thinking about the innocence of that tree at the moment of capture. Or point out the transcendental qualities of light and form as the moon beams of uranus waft through the branches. People will think you’re quite the artist.

#7 – Make a portfolio! – Take two or three hundred of your best photographs and make a portfolio! You need this to show to people how good of a photographer you are! I like to make mine out of half inch galvanized steel because it’s really impressive and useful for many other things in life!

#6 – Take pictures of kids! – Parents love their kids and they love photos of their kids! If you don’t have kids then go to your local park and take lots of photos of children. Try shooting from different angles like from inside the bushes, behind trees, or from your parked car for really “exciting opportunities.” You’ll soon meet all of the parents of the kids you are taking photos of as well as lots of local law enforcement officers who, lots of times, have kids too! If they come up to you with baseball bats in hand be sure to have your portfolio from #7 with you. That steel cover is going to be useful to protect yourself. Drop a few of your business cards as you run away. Always market yourself!

#5 – Move to New York City! – Lots and lots of photographers are in New York City. Lots of people who love photography are in New York City. It only makes perfect sense to grab your camera bag and move there to open as big of a photo studio as you can find! Fill that studio with things like backgrounds, lighting, and tripods of different sizes and colors and you’ll be on your way to the bank! I’m not sure what you’ll be doing once you get to the bank but it might involve a ski mask and a paper bag with a note attached to it. Ask the teller if they have kids.

#4 – Join the social media revolution! – With internet web sites like myspace and friendster becoming so popular these days you’ll need to be on there to meet people. You’ll also find many opportunities to win free stuff for all of the online surveys these internet web sites have to offer! Add lots of spinning cameras that make noises to your internet web site pages because you want people to notice you and nothing is better than animated gifs of cameras. Also try out Xanga. Check out another awesome version of my blog to see what I’m talking about!

#3 – Make your own lenses! – Did you know that professional lenses can cost up to $189? As you are getting started you might need to save some money and one way to do that is to make your own lenses. The most important thing to remember is the convex lens curves outward; a biconvex lens curves outward on both sides, and a plano-convex lens is flat on one side and outwardly curved on the other. There are also concave lenes, biconcave, and plano-concave lenses. The elements are not necessarily symmetrical and can curve more on one side than the other. Thickening the middle of the lens relative to its edges causes light rays to converge or focus. Lenses with thick edges and thin middles make light rays disperse.

#2 – Wear socks! On your feet! – I’ve met a lot of professional photographers in my life and one thing that they all have in common is almost all of them, with few exceptions, wear socks… on their feet. I notice this because I’m a photographer and I’m supposed to notice the details in life and find beauty in those details. The next time you meet a professional photographer ask them to take their pants off and see if they are wearing socks. You’ll be shocked at how they react to your noticing details like this and they will know that you are a lot like themselves. You will now have friends in “the industry”! Talk about the moon beams from uranus with your new friends.

#1 – Try to get people to comment on your blog by asking them what the #1 way to become a professional photographer is….

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

dunkman posted:

I don't have it back just yet, I'm waiting for the transfer to go through. He can lock it back down at any moment until the transfer goes through.

I do have a filled out document for the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection ready to mail in.

He is in CT? Where at?

Edit : Fairfield county. Figures.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There has been a flurry of interest in some work a good friend/colleague has recently published about meta-materials, the interest being in its potential cloaking properties. For your general interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11686303

Today we had a photographer from Reuters come down to take some shots. Really nice guy, he had with him a couple of well worn Canon 1D's with a 200-70mm, 70-28mm and 100mm macro. Interestingly enough he said that they were not allowed to do such things as taking out blemishes, scratches or any cloning, and if he did he'd lose his job. Only post processing that was allowed was what is achievable in a conventional darkroom.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Spedman posted:

There has been a flurry of interest in some work a good friend/colleague has recently published about meta-materials, the interest being in its potential cloaking properties. For your general interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11686303

Today we had a photographer from Reuters come down to take some shots. Really nice guy, he had with him a couple of well worn Canon 1D's with a 200-70mm, 70-28mm and 100mm macro. Interestingly enough he said that they were not allowed to do such things as taking out blemishes, scratches or any cloning, and if he did he'd lose his job. Only post processing that was allowed was what is achievable in a conventional darkroom.

That is the standard for journalism and why when people are caught cloning in extra missiles or smoke it is a big deal.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Spedman posted:

achievable in a conventional darkroom

Hate to quibble about wording, but people did some crazy poo poo before darkrooms. Composites and image manipulation existed from the day photography was invented.

edit: Photojournalists have a whole set of ethics that they all need to stick to.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 5, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I think that is just an easy way to explain to people without going into details.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Yea, you're right. Just about everyone I shoot will say, "you can photoshop X to make me look better right?" and I reply "photoshop actually has a tool called a magic wand". They laugh and I get a smile.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Dread Head posted:

I think that is just an easy way to explain to people without going into details.

Yeah, basically.

My editing for the paper involves crop, levels, maybe light color balance if I hosed something up in camera, maybe light dodge/burn, and sharpen. Nothing more.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

BobTheCow posted:

Yeah, basically.

My editing for the paper involves crop, levels, maybe light color balance if I hosed something up in camera, maybe light dodge/burn, and sharpen. Nothing more.

So I couldn't use the little Spot Removal tool to remove a pimple or something?

I took a journalism class as a gen. ed, and they mentioned something about transient, non relevant details could be removed, like pimples or blackheads or something, but you know, 28 year old TA students are the final authority on this stuff.

Just curious.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 5, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Hard to say really. I have never worked for a major publication for something like that but I am guessing no? It is a really tough call on where to draw the line or to decide what is a "non relevant" detail. An extra missile in a photo may be a minor detail for someone but a major one for someone else.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Definitely not. If it's in the picture, it's in the picture. The only exception would be to remove obvious dust spots from your lovely sensor because your camera body's been beat to hell for five years in a shared closet full of assholes who don't care about beating up gear that doesn't really belong to them so why worry about silly details like caps.

e: I should point out I'm by no means the final expert either, but I've studied journalism all through college, worked on the student paper for a few years, and am currently interning at the local mid-major daily paper.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Definitely not. If it's in the picture, it's in the picture.

Yep. You're going to get your balls busted WIDE open if you do anything but the adjustments you mentioned in your previous post. PJ ethics are very, very strict.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Photos have to tell the truth. If you take out a pimple, you are lying. You can argue all day about how merely taking a photo is manipulation, but that's a different beast. If you take out some power lines that were intersecting your subject's head or killing a really cool framing effect, you're lying. You can't do that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dakana posted:

Photos have to tell the truth.

That's rich.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Reichstag posted:

That's rich.

I'll take the bait. You're coming at this from a different perspective. After doing PJ for a few years and being surrounded by it, I think that I've got a pretty different point of view.

With a news photograph (or even a features photograph), you absolutely manipulate the scene. I'll agree to that. You pick your angle, focal length, light, depth of field, etc. But the point is that in the photograph, everything that is portrayed is real. It happened, and if you were at that event, you would have seen the exact same thing is you were watching. That's the key here. You can mew mew mew at me about how the act of taking a photograph and controlling those variables manipulates what you're shooting, but I'm going to repeat until I'm blue in the face that editorial photographs have a responsibility to remain truthful to reality and portray what actually happened. Whether or not it conveys a different emotion, selects a different detail to focus on, is a subjective interpretation of the scene by the photographer and his/her biases is a different topic. The takeaway from all of this is the simple fact that everything in an editorial photograph is physically real. You choose how you capture it, sure, but it existed. If you take a photograph and then take out a pimple, you create a fiction in which that person does not have a pimple.

edit: I probably should have specified when I made the quoted post that I was referring to an editorial photograph being used in a news publication. That's where the "truth" responsibility comes from. Under any other circumstance in which you're not using photographs to inform the public in a news publication, do whatever the hell you want and more power to you for doing it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Don't know if this has come up yet. A Globe and Mail (large Canadian newspaper) staff photographer talks about what's in his camera bags.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/multimedia/camera-club/whats-in-our-staff-photographers-camera-bag/article1782714/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Mamiya was a really nice touch :)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

dakana posted:

Photos have to tell the truth. If you take out a pimple, you are lying. You can argue all day about how merely taking a photo is manipulation, but that's a different beast. If you take out some power lines that were intersecting your subject's head or killing a really cool framing effect, you're lying. You can't do that.

"When I lie, I am closer to the truth than documentary photography." - Tono Stano

There is no way to impartially capture an event. Just in framing the picture you are leaving something out. There is always some context that is left out. Since you decide what gets left out you are in a sense manipulating the event.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

TheLastManStanding posted:

There is no way to impartially capture an event. Just in framing the picture you are leaving something out. There is always some context that is left out. Since you decide what gets left out you are in a sense manipulating the event.

I was just writing an artist statement for a gallery proposal and I got sick of describing my photos as cartographical insights into the data snow flurries of cryptologists out to conceal the mercatorial projection and mercurial flow of real world visual information and the conversion of 3D to the 2D map framework of our conceptual understanding.

Now you've given me something else to throw verbosity at. Thankin' you, sir, thankin' you. I was very near running a warm bath, breaking apart my safety razors, and sinking into the abyss with a William Gibson novel.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helmacron posted:

I was just writing an artist statement for a gallery proposal and I got sick of describing my photos as cartographical insights into the data snow flurries of cryptologists out to conceal the mercatorial projection and mercurial flow of real world visual information and the conversion of 3D to the 2D map framework of our conceptual understanding.

Now you've given me something else to throw verbosity at. Thankin' you, sir, thankin' you. I was very near running a warm bath, breaking apart my safety razors, and sinking into the abyss with a William Gibson novel.

The sky above his mother's basement was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel....

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hot Cops posted:

Yep. You're going to get your balls busted WIDE open if you do anything but the adjustments you mentioned in your previous post. PJ ethics are very, very strict.

Kind of ironic, given the general level of ethics of the rest of the journos.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ease posted:

He is in CT? Where at?

Edit : Fairfield county. Figures.
Right across town from me in Fairfield, I went to high school with him. Maybe this was all because he got desperate and was $36 short on his boat payment? (I know better than to pull Internet Detective poo poo and post it, but imagine the guy from the "I'm on a Boat" video with shorter hair. Half of his pictures are him out on his boat.)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Martytoof posted:

The Mamiya was a really nice touch :)

Yeah that put a smile on my face too :)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

GWBBQ posted:

Right across town from me in Fairfield, I went to high school with him. Maybe this was all because he got desperate and was $36 short on his boat payment? (I know better than to pull Internet Detective poo poo and post it, but imagine the guy from the "I'm on a Boat" video with shorter hair. Half of his pictures are him out on his boat.)

I got my domain back and had my credit card canceled and they're mailing me a new one so I never have to deal with this guy again. What a nightmare, I have no idea how he stayed in SA-Mart so long.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Photojournalist ethics always seem really bizarre to me, but I understand why they do it that way and why a lot of them are really gung-ho about it. To say that a photograph is truthful is clearly not true, but they have to have some kind of standard to maintain at least a little bit of credibility.

The biggest manipulation is of course when you make the choice to pursue one story or subject over another, seems kind of silly to worry about cloning pimples out at that point, but I get it.

edit:
I loved this project:

http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/editordetail.php?id=399

quote:

they had planned since 2008 to make a hoax as a protest against usual contest entries who Chauvin, one of the two students hoaxers told Le Figaro, typically 'seemed more like vacation photographs as opposed to photojournalism. The photographs depicted small children with big wet eyes in order to illustrate the misery abroad.'

Le Figaro, according to HorseThink, also quotes Chauvin explaining that they 'wanted to enter the contest in order to show the codes used too often in photojournalism and to prove that something real could be translated into something staged.'

The British Journal of Photography reports Le Monde newspaper quotes the students saying they were surprised their hoax images won.

Journalism has it's own signifiers and language, and I think how that has evolved and how those images are used in service of larger agendas is really interesting.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 6, 2010

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

brad industry posted:

http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/editordetail.php?id=399
Journalism has it's own signifiers and language, and I think how that has evolved and how those images are used in service of larger agendas is really interesting.

If you follow the link to the link to chasejarvis blog, the fellow there prattles on less about how the way the photojournalistic ethics can be manipulated and more how ingenious it is to break a code of ethics, and the way they've done it makes him want to hire them for... for what?

You can't hire them for photojournalism now, they've obviously shown they are liars. These guys have shattered their reputation as long as that code of ethics is in place.

I don't know the truth, but Chase Jarvis calls it "subversive... creative... meta..." and I suspect it was more along the lines of this paraphrased dialogue:

"i never win anything, and i always work so loving hard, im going to make up something this year"
"hey, ill join you. how about like, pictures of us being homeless"
"cool ha ha"
"ha ha"
"oh god we won"
"what do we do"
"we can't get away with it, we have to admit it"
"sacre bleu"

EDIT: gently caress, dunkman. Blur into the background, you didn't deserve your win and it was the ugliest 15 minutes of fame I've seen in a long time, and you keep pushing, ungraciously pushing. Who are you to be such a fool. Just blur, dunkman, and stop acting like a oval office.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 6, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

The biggest manipulation is of course when you make the choice to pursue one story or subject over another, seems kind of silly to worry about cloning pimples out at that point, but I get it.

This is why photojournalism is never as "ethical" as its aggressive proponents make it out to be. You can't shoot every story and the ones that are shot get more weight over the ones that aren't.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It says they were surprised they won that competition. It actually is really smart and subversive. Journalism has a visual language the same way bad HDR photography has it's own style and language. We all know exactly what he means when he says images of "children with big wet eyes". Journalists use visual codes that we understand to signify certain ideas - humanity, suffering, importance, human nobility, whatever. They faked those visual cues to draw attention to the language (I guess you could also call it 'manipulation') photojournalists use to communicate ideas and stories, and they faked those codes so successfully their little joke actually won.

quote:

and the way they've done it makes him want to hire them for... for what?

I imagine a critique of journalistic style like this would be interesting to all kinds of people who hire photographers, although obviously not those that hire actual photojournalists for reporting.

edit:

I dunno if you want to read through all of this but there's a good critique in this slide lecture of a journalism image in the "Ideology" section

http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/semiotics_and_ads/contents.html

"The Photographic Message" essay by Roland Barthes also talks about meaning in photojournalism:
http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

brad industry fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 7, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I dunno, I don't think they screwed their futures as photojournalists.

I'm thinking of an analogy to how banks and computer security companies like to hire hackers. If you can expose the weakness of a system, you can avoid some major hazards, and show your employer how to avoid those hazards. The fact they admitted to the hoax pretty much right away, rather than hiding it and risking getting found out, speaks well to their intelligence and creativity, as well as basic honesty, I think.

Of course, I'm not a professional photographer nor journalist of any kind. Maybe this episode really does exclude them from photojournalism as a profession.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

brad industry posted:

It says they were surprised they won that competition. It actually is really smart and subversive. Journalism has a visual language the same way bad HDR photography has it's own style and language. We all know exactly what he means when he says images of "children with big wet eyes". Journalists use visual codes that we understand to signify certain ideas - humanity, suffering, gratitude, whatever. They faked those visual cues to draw attention to the language (I guess you could also call it 'manipulation') photojournalists use to communicate ideas and stories, and they faked those codes so successfully their little joke actually won.

You're right. What I was trying to say is whatever their noble intentions may be now, whatever merit can be pulled from this stunt, I very seriously doubt that was their intention from the beginning, I don't believe they set off to mock the integrity of photojournalism. From what I've seen of these contests, from what I think I know about people, from what I've read in this article, this is not how things like this start, this is the story you make up later to get out of trouble.

And that's what bothers me, this misinterpretation of "art". Whether or not I'm right, and my strawman point is true (in regards to me guessing their intentions), they've faked humanity in a photograph, and they faked it well enough to win a contest. I'm not going to say faking such photographs is easy and anyone with photographic understanding can do it, and I'm not going to say they shouldn't go out and find something real to photograph. I am going to say that if someone poo poo on your front door step, that is a poo poo on your front door step.

It can be construed as a message to get a bigger fence, to purchase a starving doberman, to sit on your porch with a shotgun. You take whatever you want from that, but in the beginning, someone poo poo on your front door step and now you need to clean it up.

You shouldn't cover the shitter in glory because you wanted that new fence.

I personally don't feel like these guys deserve such a congratulating tone for sticking one to the establishment.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think maybe you are missing the point of what they did, without the misrepresentation it's not as effective of a critique. Read that stuff I linked, I don't know whether they read Barthes in PJ school but it is definitely something that art students like these would be familiar with. I don't see how the work or how they reacted to winning indicates it was anything but what they say it is (or how they would get in trouble - is the ghost of Ansel Adams going to ground them?).

I guess it doesn't really matter to me either way because what they say they did is way more interesting to talk about than some tired "modern art is bullshit to trick you" discussion. An elaborate cover up where they reveal their own hoax just seems unlikely for a project that conceptually works so well...

brad industry fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Here's a story about how one little digital alteration caused a set of photos to be disqualifed at this years World Press Photo. They're pretty serious about these sorts of changes. Even require entries to include the original RAW files: http://www.petapixel.com/2010/03/03/world-press-photo-disqualifies-winner/