Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

8. Fishing With John:
It sounds funny, but I'm not sure if the humor would be enough to justify the running time.

This isn't a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

This isn't a movie.

I guess you're right. Netflix doesn't list it under Television, and gives no indication that it isn't just a movie. My bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

8. Fishing With John:
It sounds funny, but I'm not sure if the humor would be enough to justify the running time.

It's a TV show, man. The running time is like 20 minutes each. That's like saying Seinfeld runs 5400 minutes.

EDIT: Beaten

For what it's worth, though, you should totally check it out. The ice fishing one especially.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 4, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Aren't there only 6 episodes? What makes it a TV series as opposed to a mini series (I haven't seen it)?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Aren't there only 6 episodes? What makes it a TV series as opposed to a mini series (I haven't seen it)?

There's no continuity between episodes, so I wouldn't call it a mini-series.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I dunno, just a feeling. It's structured like a TV show. Episodic. You don't need to watch the whole thing or watch it in order to get the comedy and the plot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's basically a bizarre reality television show that only got six episodes. There's a two-parter, but there's no overarching story to speak of.

Edit: What everyone else said. So far this page is just the three of us fighting to answer this guy's questions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's two and a half hours of a bizarre semi-satirical fishing show; there have been longer, weirder things watched in this thread.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Plus Tom Waits puts a fish in his pants

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Fishing with John: Official "Fishing Television"

Click here for the full 859x138 image.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

The director's cut which is 3.5 hours long and isn't too hard to find seems to be the favorite. There is also an original uncut version that is almost five hours long.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It should be noted that Netflix carries the 1997 flipper-disc version, which is a good deal shittier than the more recent two-disc version, so check your local library before you give up a spot on your queue.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dead Ringers was unsettling - Jeremy Irons was pitch perfect. Not as good as I was hoping, a bit plodding, but overall pretty expectional. And the scene where Bev unveils the new surgical equipment was pure Cronenberg.

TenSpades, do Lawrence of Arabia (British Beatlemania)

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

On Dangerous Ground NOIRVEMBER

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier, your list has slowly become dominated by films I haven't seen, but I have seen Written on the Wind and it should definitely satisfy your Sirk cravings.

Sanxia haoren is a solid movie with a lot of depth, though not always the most engaging. I liked it a lot, both for the human element of the two primary stories and the themes of an industrializing society losing and changing its identity. While it's slowly paced I didn't find myself bored, though I did get a little restless at times when I temporarily lost a sense of what it was building up to. I can't really pinpoint what kept me from loving it other than a bunch of minor issues and the lack of something really memorable, but I do think it works well and it's something I would like revisit and knowing exactly what to expect might push it up another notch.

Updated list:
Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Fantomas I liked Les Vampires, so let's give another silent serial a shot.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue Next up from directors I like but haven't seen in a while, Peckinpah.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

Ballad of Narayama Imamura, another director I've seen shamefully little from.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

penismightier, your list has slowly become dominated by films I haven't seen, but I have seen Written on the Wind and it should definitely satisfy your Sirk cravings.

We'll always have The Red Shoes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

About the last thing I expected to see in Written on the Wind was a sweetass bar fight, but here we are. I didn't like it as much as All that Heaven Allows or Imitation of Life (the latter of which is climbing to my favorites), but it was drat good. That lighting is something fuckin else. It was a bit disorienting to see Lauren Bacall in this movie - she seems like she'd rather be anywhere else. On the other hand, I think I'm becoming a Rock Hudson fan. This makes Sirk #5 in like a month and a half. I'm on a roll.

PA, Fantomas! Sorry to give you like 5 hours of movie, but I get a kick out of Feuillade (and I have to look up how to spell his name every time).

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

My Winnipeg I like Guy Maddin and all but he's rough at feature length.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10)

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, let's go with My Winnipeg

I think I liked The Godfather Part 2 more than the original. I loved the cutting between the rise of Vito and the trials of Michael. Young Deniro was at the top of his game and this is Pacino at his best. I really don't even want to move on to the third mvie and just see this as a natural end to the story. What a great film.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) The Seventh Seal- gotta start somewhere with Bergman
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Vertigo- tightening up my Hitchcock faults
9) The Right Stuff- always been curious but never got around to it
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

9) The Right Stuff- always been curious but never got around to it

I just finished it, so you might as well too.

The Right Stuff - Wasn't bad at all. It was nice to see all of our failed attempts :)

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Grease - Never really seemed like my kind of thing.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Anatomy of a Murder - An oldie I don't know much about.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Dirty Harry - I'm 33 and never seen this. I never cared for Eastwood or Stallone as a kid but times have changed, I just haven't seen most of the movies yet.
10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Pushpak, Juno, The Right Stuff

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
chemosh, see Anatomy of a Murder. It has a score by Duke Ellington. This is all you should need to get really excited.

Anyway, Unforgiven was rather more subdued, and at the same time more brutal. I don't think I've seen many other films that make killing look so ugly and gut-wrenching. this is probably my favorite "revisionist" Western I've seen. 4 and a half stars.

*A Clockwork Orange - Uh, weirdly, I actually bought this for five bucks at a used Movie/Music/Video Games store, six months ago. But I've been kind of leery of watching it because I really don't like watching rape on film. It just makes me feel unclean.

*8 1/2 - really no excuse for this. I've seen four Fellini films (La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, and Amarcord), and loved all of them. I just have a weird thing about foreign films where, unless they have action or comedy, it seems like homework to watch them. I feel tremendously guilty about this impulse.

*Singin' in the Rain - I've seen clips from it, enough that I feel like I've seen the whole thing, but...I'm pretty sure I haven't. Which is weird, because Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors ever.

*Apocalypse Now - I watched part of it on cable on vacation in a hotel room when I was young, and then my parents made me change the channel. Ever since, I've felt like I'm doing something wrong every time I make an attempt to watch it, so I don't.

* The Seventh Seal.
Tokyo Story - Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm always weirdly wary about getting bored by foreign films with no action scenes.

*Jaws - uh, I have no idea why I've never seen it, guess I've just never said to myself "you know what movie I absolutely have to watch right now? Jaws, man."

*Pulp Fiction - I starting watching this once, and liked it up until the Bruce Willis section, where I got so bored, I stopped it, and returned it to the library the very next day. Recently I bought a copy, hoping that I would change my mind, as it's universally regarded as a classic. But I haven't worked up the motivation yet to actually watch it.

*Unforgiven
This is Spinal Tap - I have no excuse, really. Sounds like it would be right up my alley.

*The 39 Steps - Being a huge Hitchcock fan, I'm guilty about not having seen this already.

*Eraserhead - well, I've always heard it was kind of squicky.

Watch list: The Seventh Seal, Unforgiven

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just checking in to say that I'm still alive and I still haven't seen Satantango. I will, but I'm currently preoccupied with trying to earn my masters degree in biology so it'll be some day when I feel I have the time, probably near Christmas.

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 8, 2010

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

*Pulp Fiction - I starting watching this once, and liked it up until the Bruce Willis section, where I got so bored, I stopped it, and returned it to the library the very next day. Recently I bought a copy, hoping that I would change my mind, as it's universally regarded as a classic. But I haven't worked up the motivation yet to actually watch it.

This is my all time favorite film so I'm gonna have to force you to watch this one. :)

So after god knows how long I FINALLY got around to watching Sex, Lies and Videotape. It was amazing, especially when you consider it was Soderbergh's first film. The dialogue was really constantly compelling and the acting was top notch all around. Also, man that guy knows how to direct a movie. For example, in the scene when MacDowell's character finds the earring, most director's would have flashed back to Giacomo's character saying she lost it, but Soderbergh trusts us enough to remember it and instead just focuses on the reaction. Great film. I give it a 8.5/10 I guess.

So here's my list:
1) The Searcher: I am not really into westerns and honestly never heard of this until I saw it brought up in CinD,
2) Schindler's List: It seems like I really should not just go into this film all willy nilly. Still, I really feel I should watch it.
3) The French Connection: I started watching this and just sort of lost interest early on. I'm willing to give it another try though
4) Solaris (the original): I really like the remake, but the original is just so intimidating. Still, I feel like I should watch it.
5) Raging Bull: I also started watching this and sort of lost interest. Really feel I should give it another try.
6) Sex, Lies, and Videotape
6) Fanny and Alexander: I have only seen two Bergman films. This needs to be remedied immediately.
7) Cool Hand Luke: Once again, I've meant to watch it, I've just never gotten around to it.
8) 8 1/2: Like most of these, it's a long and intimidating movie that I've really meant to get around to seeing.
9) Stalker: I know nothing about this other than this forum seems to like it, so why the hell not?
10) The Sting: I actually really want to see this...I just always tend to forget about it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mistletoe Donkey, I've been waiting like a goddamn month to make you watch My Darling Clementine. Somehow we haven't synched up right yet.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

My Winnipeg was closer to Synecdoche NY than Brand Upon the Brain. I dug it. Not sure I have much to say about it. Guy Maddin's like on a whole nother level. It wore on my patience a bit at the beginning, but just a bit. So cool to see Ann Savage at work again. It was delightfully unhinged, maybe the only good way to describe the unique character of a (any) city. Unfounded speculation and made up poo poo combined with facts, family history, ghosts, and hookers.

axleblaze, Cool Hand Luke. Paul Newman is the best. I'd say The Searchers, but it's a terrible one to watch if you're just getting into westerns. It's like western grad school.

New List:

3 Women But I never saw 1 and 2!!!!

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
wow, I've never seen any of those either, penismightier, but uh, I guess watch On Dangerous Ground.

Anyway, Pulp Fiction is...huh. I don't know, it was pretty good, but the endless praise and popular obsession perhaps made me expect something that it wasn't. I would have to say it's my least favorite Tarantino (Jackie Brown is amazing, probably one of my favorite movies ever), which is not a slight at all, because it's still pretty good. The Bruce Willis section drags, in part because the French girl is unbelievably irritating, and you kind of wish Bruce Willis had hooked up with the Colombian cabbie instead. My favorite part was Harvey Keitel as the most awesome man in the history of the universe. I kind of wish there were a movie entirely about Winston Wolf, but I could say that about many of the characters. Also, Samuel L. Jackson is perhaps the best I've ever seen him, especially in the diner at the end. I really don't understand why this is considered one of the GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME, but I would love to have someone explain it to me. i]Four and a half stars out of five[/i]

*A Clockwork Orange - Uh, weirdly, I actually bought this for five bucks at a used Movie/Music/Video Games store, six months ago. But I've been kind of leery of watching it because I really don't like watching rape on film. It just makes me feel unclean.

*8 1/2 - really no excuse for this. I've seen four Fellini films (La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, and Amarcord), and loved all of them. I just have a weird thing about foreign films where, unless they have action or comedy, it seems like homework to watch them. I feel tremendously guilty about this impulse.

*Singin' in the Rain - I've seen clips from it, enough that I feel like I've seen the whole thing, but...I'm pretty sure I haven't. Which is weird, because Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors ever.

*Apocalypse Now - I watched part of it on cable on vacation in a hotel room when I was young, and then my parents made me change the channel. Ever since, I've felt like I'm doing something wrong every time I make an attempt to watch it, so I don't.

* The Seventh Seal.
Tokyo Story - Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm always weirdly wary about getting bored by foreign films with no action scenes.

*Jaws - uh, I have no idea why I've never seen it, guess I've just never said to myself "you know what movie I absolutely have to watch right now? Jaws, man."

*Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs - I own this as well, for some reason. I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet.

*Unforgiven
This is Spinal Tap - I have no excuse, really. Sounds like it would be right up my alley.

*The 39 Steps - Being a huge Hitchcock fan, I'm guilty about not having seen this already.

*Eraserhead - well, I've always heard it was kind of squicky.

Watched list: The Seventh Seal, Unforgiven, Pulp Fiction

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Anyway, Pulp Fiction is...huh. I don't know, it was pretty good, but the endless praise and popular obsession perhaps made me expect something that it wasn't. I would have to say it's my least favorite Tarantino (Jackie Brown is amazing, probably one of my favorite movies ever), which is not a slight at all, because it's still pretty good. The Bruce Willis section drags, in part because the French girl is unbelievably irritating, and you kind of wish Bruce Willis had hooked up with the Colombian cabbie instead. My favorite part was Harvey Keitel as the most awesome man in the history of the universe. I kind of wish there were a movie entirely about Winston Wolf, but I could say that about many of the characters. Also, Samuel L. Jackson is perhaps the best I've ever seen him, especially in the diner at the end. I really don't understand why this is considered one of the GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME, but I would love to have someone explain it to me. i]Four and a half stars out of five[/i]

Pulp Fiction is overpraised to hell and back, but that love makes more sense in context. Remember, it came out in 1994. There hadn't been a crime movie that vivid and self-aware and honestly quirky since, I dunno, Band of Outsiders back in '64?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno...for me Pulp Fiction is pure joy to watch. Every time I watch it I just sit there with a dumb grin on my face loving every minute of it. There is not a single second of that movie I don't love. It's hard for me to even explain why. I can't say it's the uniqueness (though it is unique) because that wouldn't bear on repeat viewings and I can't really say it because it has some hidden depth. I mean there is some extra stuff going on there to contemplate but it's nothing major. I think for me everything just comes together. The dialogue matches perfectly with characters who are matched perfectly with the actors who just go through a story that draws me in every time. The direction is constantly interesting as is the soundtrack. The plot itself goes places you don't expect at all but manages to do so in a way that seems organic. The movie has tension, wit and even some good serious moments. It is my single favorite film and one of the few things in this world that can put me in a good mood no matter what. There's just something about it that clicks with me as a person. It's a something that I realize I can't force people to see, but it's there for me and that's all that really matters.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Spatula City turn your TV up to eleven for This is Spinal Tap

The Right Stuff was informative and entertaining, but didn't really cover any ground that I didn't already know. I still enjoyed it though. It was good to see where we started compared to where we ended up.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Mistletoe Donkey, you're right about Bogart, Bacall and Hawks, so go watch The Big Sleep

Persona was an incredibly interesting movie. This is the kind of movie that you can watch multiple times and always find something new to discuss, something you may have missed before. The cinematography was stunning, and Bergman's direction was exquisite. I can't wait til I can sit down and watch it again.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita Fellini is becoming one of my favorite directors.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about this except that it is a Bergman film.

North by Northwest I've seen parts of this before, and know the basic story.

Rio Bravo My favorite westerns have always been of the spaghetti variety, so I've never given this one much thought.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona

vvv This is what I get for not double checking. I was thinking Rio Grande.

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 10, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

tokillthesunflower posted:

Rio Bravo My favorite westerns have always been of the spaghetti variety, so I've never given Ford much thought.

Rio Bravo is Howard Hawks, not Ford.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
tokillthesunflower, you get Rio Bravo. Enjoy.

Thee Big Sleep was a film right in my wheel house. Bogart was outstanding as usual and it was vintage Hawks. Just a finely crafted noir film. I loved every mnute of it,

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love Nick Ray. On Dangerous Ground does not change this. It's like David Holzman's Diary or something, how it anticipates a genre (the Dirty Harry vigilante bit) and tears it apart before it even EXISTS. "Decide to be a cop, not a gangster with a badge" is a great goddamn line. Robert Ryan is creepy as hell. Ward Bond is in top form, but then again I'm always glad to see him. The barren snow-field contrasts great against the dirty city - is this where Shoot the Piano Player got that from? I was amazed at how much handheld footage there was, too! The cinematography on the whole was very modern - downright frantic at times. The plot wasn't much to speak of, but Ray just swings for the loving fences on this one.

Mistletoe Donkey, FINALLY I get to make you watch My Darling Clementine. It's just so... likeable.

New List:

The King of Comedy This is a documentary about Gallagher, I presume

3 Women But I never saw 1 and 2!!!!

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 9, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

On the Waterfront - Pretty good movie. I think the last 15 minutes or so was the best. I found the nicknames like "Mr. Friendly" etc. to be humorous. As well as the scene with the longshoremen flinging everything they could get their hands on at the priest.

I wasn't blown away by the "contender" dialogue between him and his brother in the car. I've heard it referenced so often that you'd think witnessing it would be like a religious experience.

Also I got tired of seeing a couple on my list so long and couldn't resist delaying any longer.

To Kill a Mockingbird..this has been on my list for what feels like a year so it was time to watch it. I thought it was decent. I had forgotten some of the details of the story..I read it ~15 years ago as a freshman in high school. I'd seen most of the film in a few big chunks but never all of it. Kind of depressing.. the things that really stuck out were Scout wearing that ham costume home..I'm glad they didn't change that. Also that spinning tire scene was impressive.

I also ran across All About Eve. It was good enough to keep me watching but didn't stand out like Sunset Blvd. did. 14 academy award nominations is an astronomical amount. The second DVD had some interesting newsreels..that's one DVD extra I always find interesting to watch. I watched Bette Davis get her cement at Grauman's Chinese Theater and it said 11-6-50...cool 60 years to the day..(I watched it on Saturday.)

New List:

#61 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#73 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#89 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#96 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#102 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#106 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie?

#107 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#112 Slumdog Millionaire - Seems to be lauded. Plot really didn't pique my interest.

#113 Hotel Rwanda - Another one I didn't get around to watching.

penismightier posted:

The King of Comedy This is a documentary about Gallagher, I presume

I'll say this. I liked watching Jerry Lewis get tortured.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Zogo, watch City Lights. My favorite Chaplin.

Lawrence Of Arabia is almost the longest movie I've seen, but it didn't bore at all. The first half definitely had a better sense of direction, with Lawrence's rise to power. The performances were great all around, although Guinness' accent was a bit annoying. I definitely enjoyed this more that I expected I would. 4.5/5

My updated list (I switched out Fishing With John to cut down the complaints):

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
I like Pixar, but haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
3. His Girl Friday
I've owned this for a long time, but just never had the inclination to watch it.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. The Battle of Algiers:
Was never really on my radar.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

TenSpadesBeTrump fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 10, 2010

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump watch The Battle of Algiers

Adaptation was extremely well written, well acted and fun to watch. Nicolas Cage really shines in his two roles, and Streep does a great job as well. The last act was amazing.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Unforgiven - I love the Dollars trilogy so I don't know why I haven't seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Atheistdeals, let's go with Unforgiven. It's quite good

My Darling Clementine is now my favorite of the movies about Wyatt Earp and Tombstone. Just a well made film. I really enjoyed Victor Mature's Doc Holliday, played not flamboyant, but with more of a dark brooding side. And you're right penismightier, it was very likable.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Watch this because it is amazing. Really, you'll go in expecting a really heavy film, and you'll get one but you'll also be surprised by how genuinely enjoyable it is on a basic level.

So I just watched Cool Hand Luke and :smith:. It was really good but it was such a spirit breaker. It's really interesting in how it seems to take the prison caper flick and turn it on it's ear. It has all these characters expecting Luke to fill that role as the leader that gives them hope and he fills it until things get tough and he gets broken. He's still human and in the end he ends up dead and everyone else is still imprisoned using him as a surrogate for freedom. As i said...:smith:. Still an amazing film. It had a few off scenes that kind of took me out of it but still a solid 9/10

So here's my list:
1) The Searcher: I am not really into westerns and honestly never heard of this until I saw it brought up in CinD,
2) Schindler's List: It seems like I really should not just go into this film all willy nilly. Still, I really feel I should watch it.
3) The French Connection: I started watching this and just sort of lost interest early on. I'm willing to give it another try though
4) Solaris (the original): I really like the remake, but the original is just so intimidating. Still, I feel like I should watch it.
5) Raging Bull: I also started watching this and sort of lost interest. Really feel I should give it another try.
6) Sex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10
6) Fanny and Alexander: I have only seen two Bergman films. This needs to be remedied immediately.
7) Cool Hand Luke 9/10
7) The Bicycle Thief: I basically constantly hear people saying how they couldn't stand this movie so it makes me reluctant but I also feel obligated to watch it so...
8) 8 1/2: Like most of these, it's a long and intimidating movie that I've really meant to get around to seeing.
9) Stalker: I know nothing about this other than this forum seems to like it, so why the hell not?
10) The Sting: I actually really want to see this...I just always tend to forget about it.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

7) The Bicycle Thief: I basically constantly hear people saying how they couldn't stand this movie so it makes me reluctant but I also feel obligated to watch it so...

Hard to choose between this, The French Connection and Raging Bull but I liked this more than the other two.

Unforgiven was absolutely fantastic. It is extremely dark and honest in its depiction of violence and morality. Eastwood's character is really interesting, and he becomes pretty frightening when he returns to being a monster at the end of the film. Definitely one of the best westerns I've ever seen.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Woody Allen is really easy to recommend, so I'm going for that.

As for the Bicycle Thief, it was good but it also didn't really gel with me. I know it's kind of the point but after a while you're just kind of like "I get it. It's tragic." It just seems all very one note. I mean it was very well made, the characters were well realizes and there's nothing I can really fault it on but for a movie like this to fully work with me it needs to get under my skin and with this I felt I was kept at a distance somehow. I wanted to be moved by it but instead I was left sitting there thinking "yup, that sure is sad". I dunno. Still 6/10 for the film making alone though.

Anyways here's my list:
1) The Searcher: I am not really into westerns and honestly never heard of this until I saw it brought up in CinD.
6) Sex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10
7) Cool Hand Luke 9/10
7) The Bicycle Thief 6/10
7) Amadeus: I saw half of this in music class in high school and it was really good but I've never got around to seeing the rest and I don't know why.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

axleblaze posted:

You need to watch this. I, too, love the remake and thought watching the original would be a good idea. WRONG. There are now three hours of my life that I will never have back - and this was when I first started dating my current girlfriend of six years. What I'm getting at is that I COULD HAVE BEEN loving INSTEAD... :doh:

Here is a list of movies that I have not seen, be it fully or at all:

1. The Godfather - Started watching it and that loving wedding (or whatever) scene went on for like half an hour. I was done, son... no reason to revisit it again since.
2. Annie Hall - I've been told that I will love this, but I just haven't gotten the motivation to check it out... I've only seen three Allen movies: Sleeper, Celebrity, and Match Point (the only one I actually enjoyed).
3. 2046 - I ADORE WONG KAR-WAI, but I tried to watch this movie and fell instantly asleep. Same goes for Days of Being Wild.
4. Last Year at Marienbad - Looks boring as gently caress, told I may enjoy it.
5. The City of Lost Children - I've liked everything else Jeunet has done, but I've yet to see this... have no idea why.
6. The Saragossa Manuscript - Is there really a reason for anyone to see this? I hear it's over three hours long... not sure if that's three hours in a good way (Seven Samurai) or three hours in a bad way (Solaris).
7. Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - There has to be one joke entry, and this is it. What is not a joke is the fact that I have never seen this movie, yet I love Excellent Adventure... go figure.
8. Jacob's Ladder - I don't really like scary movies. This movie is scary, right? [note: I did like The Jacket]
9. Lust, Caution - What, what?? In da butt! (this is all I know about this movie)
10. M - I love noir, but I'm wary of German cinema... make me a believer!

Ok, have at you and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zenintrude posted:

You need to watch this. I, too, love the remake and thought watching the original would be a good idea. WRONG. There are now three hours of my life that I will never have back - and this was when I first started dating my current girlfriend of six years. What I'm getting at is that I COULD HAVE BEEN loving INSTEAD... :doh:

Things wrong with this post:

1. You're recommending something you don't like (also, you didn't like Solaris, but whatever).
2. HAY GUYS I HAVE SEX

zenintrude posted:

6. The Saragossa Manuscript - Is there really a reason for anyone to see this?

Yes, it's very good.