Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Preliminary art on two of next year's big releases:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

Preliminary art on two of next year's big releases:

I like the Kane cover, but the ghost of Heston doesn't look that great on Ben-Hur.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I'm not big on either of those as cover art, but I'll buy the poo poo out of Citizen Kane when it comes out.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Amazon.co.uk are having a Blu-Ray classics sale, the highlight is the upcoming Sound Of Music 45th Anniversary Edition for £9.97: http://tinyurl.com/3x92gl2

Sound Of Music here: http://tinyurl.com/2uk393z

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:whatup:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Night of the Hunter reviewed

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Really looking forward to this. Some 6 hours of extras!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Well, that's another Criterion I have to own. God drat that looks awesome.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

already preordered this along with Modern Times through the B&N Sale.
with both reviews coming out today from gary.. nov 16th cant come fast enough!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

doctor thodt posted:

Somewhat annoys me when two different art styles are slapped together. Check out Bridge On The River Kwai:

http://www.thehdroom.com/images/bluray/large/5756.jpg

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

doctor thodt posted:

Weird, this is only showing up for me as a DVD comparison.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Goddamn, I'm so pissed this is region locked and isn't out on Blu-ray in Europe.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

Any reason to pick this up if I already have it on DVD?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Where'd the black case come from, is it a new edition or something? Different from the blue case blu ray?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

Goddamn, I'm so pissed this is region locked and isn't out on Blu-ray in Europe.

The latest issue of Empire mentions a UK release for Black Dynamite in January, if that helps.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Where'd the black case come from, is it a new edition or something? Different from the blue case blu ray?

I switched it out with the case from Comme les 5 doigts de la main.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tremors

Universal just needs to give up on releasing catalog titles.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Tremors

Universal just needs to give up on releasing catalog titles.

They just ported the old HD-DVD from the look of it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

doctor thodt posted:

I switched it out with the case from Comme les 5 doigts de la main.

I am so ready for BluRays to stop with the loving idiotic-looking blue cases. It makes every movie look dumb. "Here's Kingdom of Heaven in a transparent light blue plastic box." gently caress.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Adrianics posted:

The latest issue of Empire mentions a UK release for Black Dynamite in January, if that helps.

Oh, hell yes!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheScott2K posted:

I am so ready for BluRays to stop with the loving idiotic-looking blue cases. It makes every movie look dumb. "Here's Kingdom of Heaven in a transparent light blue plastic box." gently caress.

Seriously, this.
The black cases for Blu-rays just look amazing all around.

Honestly, anything other than blue looks good for the most part.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The newly-announced Midnight Legacy BD releases were supposed to come in custom red cases to match the artwork style, but supposedly they received a ton of complaints and switched back to standard blue so as to allow people to have "uniformity" on their shelf. I've seen people post similar complaints on Blu-ray.com all the time, and god do I hate those people.

At the same time, for this specific case (lol pun), I wouldn't be surprised if Midnight Legacy was just saying that as an easy way out once they found out how much custom red cases would cost. Everything about their talk seems exaggerated - they're pressing 30,000 copies of Alien 2 On Earth but its a strictly "limited edition" affair. :rolleyes:. And about the red cases, they received over 1000 emails complaining. I honestly don't believe they're even going to sell 1000 copies of the thing, nevermind have 1000 people email them in a period of two days over such a trivial issue. Knowing the history of the people behind the company, I wouldn't even be surprised if the thing just never comes out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neo_Reloaded posted:

At the same time, for this specific case (lol pun), I wouldn't be surprised if Midnight Legacy was just saying that as an easy way out once they found out how much custom red cases would cost.

They should have just scratched the logo off of a bunch of HD-DVD cases

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
You know what I would prefer, though? If there wasn't a big, useless hunk of extra plastic of any color at the top of my cases.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mustach posted:

You know what I would prefer, though? If there wasn't a big, useless hunk of extra plastic of any color at the top of my cases.

I'd like to see something of similar proportion to CD cases. They wouldn't need such a ridiculously strong mechanism holding the disc in the case and you could fit more of them onto an adjustable-shelf bookcase. I know what you're thinking - "but the poster art would get screwed up!" Look at the BluRays on your shelf, and count the number of them that had great theatrical one-sheets that got thrown away in favor of three floating heads and some wide shot of a location or a building at the bottom. They're wasting the opportunity for tall cover art anyway, might as well make it more space-efficient.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

I'd like to see something of similar proportion to CD cases. They wouldn't need such a ridiculously strong mechanism holding the disc in the case and you could fit more of them onto an adjustable-shelf bookcase. I know what you're thinking - "but the poster art would get screwed up!" Look at the BluRays on your shelf, and count the number of them that had great theatrical one-sheets that got thrown away in favor of three floating heads and some wide shot of a location or a building at the bottom. They're wasting the opportunity for tall cover art anyway, might as well make it more space-efficient.

This is so sadly true. I'm almost of a mind to just throw away the cases and keep the discs in my old 400-cd trapper keeper.

Bluray box art is loving terrible. Except for a few Digi-books and box sets.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Just working my way through The Pacific, and oh my bajeezers does it look and sound good. With the exception of some dark night scenes these discs are the most flawless BDs out there. Everything about them is reference quality.

I cannot recommend them enough. As soon as I'm done I'm gonna go back through with the field guide option to listen to all interviews and history excerpts. I usually have a tough time going back to movies for commentaries or special features but with this I want to watch EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE. It is that good.

It is going to be really great seeing movies and TV shows really start to embrace shooting everything in HD and reproduce it with as much perfection as the Pacific on BD when it comes out.

Go buy this now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mustach posted:

Criterion cases are the best cases.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No kidding. Sturdy, wide, pearly-translucent. It helps that they tend to have magnificent art on them but even empty they're a drat sight better than the regular Blu cases.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how thin the standard cases are :(

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

What's the consensus on the A Bug's Life BR? It comes out in the UK next month.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's a Pixar Blu-Ray so...I don't understand what you want to know about it

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Hrm, fair point. Not sure why I bothered asking!

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!
Yeah, I know Pixar Blu-rays are famously well-done... but drat, Toy Story 3 is flawless. The opening sequence came on and I was in awe - any last feeling of guilt or doubt I had about buying my HDTV burned away.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Psycho :stare:

So this is, like, a remake, right? Not the original 50 year old movie, because, well, drat it looks good.

drat.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Fantabulero posted:

Yeah, I know Pixar Blu-rays are famously well-done... but drat, Toy Story 3 is flawless. The opening sequence came on and I was in awe - any last feeling of guilt or doubt I had about buying my HDTV burned away.

I watched Toy Story 3 last night too and it was amazing. I was thoroughly impressed scene after scene. The final scene looked and sounded better in my home than it did in the theater I originally saw it in (also there weren't children crying when I watched it in my home). I've had my system for a few years but after this it's going to take a lot to get me to pay to see movies at the cinema rather than buy (or rent) the Blu-ray at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A month left until Inception on Blu-ray. :stare:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

A month left until Inception on Blu-ray. :stare:

Exclusives are already starting to pop up. FYE will have a steelbook, and Best Buy's is still unknown (somebody said it contains the script).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh hey B&N is having a 50% off Criterion Blu Ray sale.

http://bit.ly/bn1UeJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

El Jackalope posted:

Oh hey B&N is having a 50% off Criterion Blu Ray sale.

http://bit.ly/bn1UeJ
I picked up Paths of Glory and Darjeeling last night when I walked in the store because I didn't know the sale was going on. This sale couldn't have come at a worse time. Just need more money to buy that Seven Samurai set and Yojimbo.. :smith:

• Locked thread