Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I still think the scariest thing on a bike is a massive tank slapper that results in a highside (which I got to experience on my Maxim last year). The doctor thought that it wasn't the impact with the road that broke my wrist but the violent twisting of the handlebars as I hung on like a listless ragdoll for a bit too long.

You want a tankslapper? I got your tankslapper right here. Shouldn't really go in the crash thread since, well, I didn't. But I thought I might die so it's ok!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

needknees posted:

You want a tankslapper? I got your tankslapper right here. Shouldn't really go in the crash thread since, well, I didn't. But I thought I might die so it's ok!

This video always scare the poo poo out of me, always.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Primo Itch posted:

Pretty much. I watched it before linking it and it kinda gave me goosebumps :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

needknees posted:

Pretty much. I watched it before linking it and it kinda gave me goosebumps :(

I can just remember that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach...that "Oh gently caress, this isn't coming back..."

But most of the time it still comes back.

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010

needknees posted:

That video makes me want to curl up on the opposite side of my house from where my bike is parked and go "nonononono."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Primo Itch posted:

Christ, I feel like having a smoke and thinking hard about my life choices just watching it.

Tsaven, yours is not fun either! Especially the twinge of familiarity from the engine note. Glad you're ok and the bike is bloodied yet unbowed.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

needknees posted:

Did you figure out what caused that wobble?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Black ice.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Blaster of Justice posted:

Did you figure out what caused that wobble?

Pretty much a cascade of poo poo.

STRIKE ONE:
It was in the first session of the day, not too many laps in. As such I really wasn't warmed up physically or mentally. Definitely too tight on the bars.

STRIKE TWO:
It happened under hard acceleration. On a literbike. If you notice the slapper starts right at the 2-3 shift. Banging an upshift when the front end is already light from literbike warp speed gone plaid acceleration often ends in the front end getting even lighter. Off the ground even!

STRIKE THREE:
Over the course of this year Mid America had developed some nasty bumps right in front of the timing tower on the front straight. These were caused from cars running the short course configuration frequently this year -- They're hard on the brakes then at the left side of the track. Cars, having four huge contact patches and shitloads of grip, will ruin a track that was not built well. Apparently MAM was not built well!

in short

Too much rider input
literbike POWAHHHHHHH, shifting
nasty bumps.

All at the same time lead to

'YERRRRRRR OUT! MOTHERFUCKIN TANKSLAPPER OF DOOM.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Are you from Omaha by any chance? I just moved away from there and I never got the chance to go to MAM, but if I move back I'd really love to go. This was kind of a nowhere post, oh well. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Are you from Omaha by any chance? I just moved away from there and I never got the chance to go to MAM, but if I move back I'd really love to go. This was kind of a nowhere post, oh well. :)

Nope, but not too far away. I'm in central Iowa. MAM is by far the closest track (that actually holds events, NESBA ran at the Iowa Speedway infield course in prior years but Mid Central kinda ceased to be :( ) so I did a number of days there this year. Much prefer other tracks but anything else is a minimum of 5hrs away, when MAM isn't much over 2.

It's still a really fun track. Not too long after my crazy tankslapper they went through and repaired those lovely bumps on the straights. I think they rolled the rest of the track too. Haven't been there for a couple months, I don't know what it's like firsthand.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

needknees posted:

Cars, having four huge contact patches and shitloads of grip, will ruin a track that was not built well. Apparently MAM was not built well!

Any track that runs any half-decent cars class gets braking ripples. loving Winton has this huge dip in it where the V8 Supercars hit the anchors. Problem is on a bike you're already on the brakes when you hit the dip so heaps of people run off the end of the straight after having get off the brakes.

Racing trucks though, now they gently caress up the entirety of any track they race on.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Maybe slightly NWS https://wi.somethingawful.com/69/693def007f67c29eb4fc81b15fc0faff0a02b209.jpg

Crashed into a tricycle at night. It didn't have any lights nor did that particular stretch of road. Didn't see him before it was too late. Something sliced open a big chunk of my leg. I could see my muscles underneath the flap of flesh that was hanging off my leg. This shot is taken a bit over a week after the accident. It's doesn't seem to be healing very well :/

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

needknees posted:

in short

Too much rider input
literbike POWAHHHHHHH, shifting
nasty bumps.

All at the same time lead to

'YERRRRRRR OUT! MOTHERFUCKIN TANKSLAPPER OF DOOM.

I asked because I didn't see any driver caused action that could have caused this fuckload of wobble in the video. My bet is badly worn swing arm bushings, a slightly bend frame or hosed fork bearings. Most likely swing arm bushings.

You should have full throttled it to control that wobble, but other than that, you didn't do anything wrong.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Blaster of Justice posted:

I asked because I didn't see any driver caused action that could have caused this fuckload of wobble in the video. My bet is badly worn swing arm bushings, a slightly bend frame or hosed fork bearings. Most likely swing arm bushings.

You should have full throttled it to control that wobble, but other than that, you didn't do anything wrong.

It's a nearly new bike that's never been crashed. While bad bushings or a tweaked frame would be possible it's not probable. At that point it had maybe 4000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure what happened was what I described. Didn't really go into enough detail I guess.

At that point I was shifting, changing my weight on the bike to get into a tuck for the straight, hit the bump the exact second I shifted which got the front end airborn. Since I was not loose on the bike I bet the wheel did not come down straight and or came down into another braking bump that started the slapper. The bike also had incredibly stick DOT race tires on, which are not going to slide when they hit... making the wobble grow worse and worse. You can hear in the video that I at least maintained throttle. I was trying to get a little more gas to it but it was throwing me around bad enough I couldn't.

Pretty sure going into the dirt (which I did not do on purpose, the bike just kinda threw me to the left in its oscillations) saved my rear end. It let the front end slide a little bit and slowed the movement down enough for me to regain control.

Basically it comes down to me not being loose on the bars. It was a perfect storm of small poo poo that by itself or a couple things that went bad wouldn't have been an issue at all. But the amount of things that piled up and their timing led to the crazy tankslapper.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

needknees posted:

Basically it comes down to me not being loose on the bars. It was a perfect storm of small poo poo that by itself or a couple things that went bad wouldn't have been an issue at all. But the amount of things that piled up and their timing led to the crazy tankslapper.

Whatever the actual cause, watching that video made me feel downright panicky. I am both extremely impressed and extremely glad you managed to save one ugly moment. Kudos.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ringo R posted:

Maybe slightly NWS https://wi.somethingawful.com/69/693def007f67c29eb4fc81b15fc0faff0a02b209.jpg

Crashed into a tricycle at night. It didn't have any lights nor did that particular stretch of road. Didn't see him before it was too late. Something sliced open a big chunk of my leg. I could see my muscles underneath the flap of flesh that was hanging off my leg. This shot is taken a bit over a week after the accident. It's doesn't seem to be healing very well :/

Uh, why is that not thoroughly bandaged up? It looks like it might be getting ready to get infected.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

What were you wearing there?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

giundy posted:

What were you wearing there?

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/produc...r:referralID=NA

Stylish at home, and in the hospital.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

augh I just want to pour hydrogen peroxide all over that

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Zool posted:

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/produc...r:referralID=NA

Stylish at home, and in the hospital.

Well at least they made it through the crash okay.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I was really hoping to not add anything to this thread... ever.

My main injury is to my right hand so the typing is gonna be succinct.

Basically, I was out riding with my buddy on this glorious day and came a little too fast into a descending right-hand curve I had never ridden before. I target-fixated and under-steered in my panic, tried to straighten up and stop but ran out of road. My front tire hit the small gravel bank and I was plastic down in an instant. Overall, I think it was pretty minor but still unsettling.

The turn that got me (looking from the opposite direction)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Skid marks where I slid:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Damage to me:

Mr Balloon Hand:

Damage to Suzie the Suzuki:

I think it is all cosmetic except for my right hand which hurts like a bitch. I sincerely hope none of my little bones are broken (I don't think they are).

I would estimate my speed at impact to be 20 MPH +/- 5. My gear is pretty much unmarked, very light scuffing on the shoulder of my leather jacket. My helmet never touched anything so thankfully I don't have that expense to worry about.

My main concern at this point is that something important (i.e. my forks) were bent in the fall... Is this a valid concern? Is there any way to check for sure? I had it up to 60-65 on the ride home afterward and didn't notice anything unusual.

The handlebars were already bent, I have replacement renthals sitting on my desk for whenever I have the energy--glad I waited to put them on.

More than anything it is frustrating and I feel like a huge scrub--this was probably the world's most avoidable single-vehicle accident.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You can usually see bent forks by eyeballing the triple-tree, but if you're that worried about it I believe Z3n said you can remove the front tire to straighten them out and slap it back on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

My main concern at this point is that something important (i.e. my forks) were bent in the fall... Is this a valid concern? Is there any way to check for sure? I had it up to 60-65 on the ride home afterward and didn't notice anything unusual.

The handlebars were already bent, I have replacement renthals sitting on my desk for whenever I have the energy--glad I waited to put them on.

More than anything it is frustrating and I feel like a huge scrub--this was probably the world's most avoidable single-vehicle accident.

It's a valid concern but probably not in a crash like this. Low speed, dirt bike on asphalt, you're fine. If you notice that the forks have tweaked a bit in the triples, as Sepist noted, you can just loosen up the pinch bolts on the triples and axle (make sure to support the frame so the triples don't drop down the forks) and and everything will rotate back straight. Loosen everything, tighten the lower triple pinch bolts, pump the forks a few times, tighten the upper pinch bolts, pump the forks a few times, tighten the axle pinch bolts and the axle back down, and you'll should be good to go.

But they're probably not even bent.

Glad you're ok :)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
My turn my turn! .......:(

Finally happend to me. Was going about 100 KPH when I noticed the next car in front of me was going quite a bit slower, so I applied front brake and - handlebars instantly lock to the left, next thing I know I'm on the ground sliding and rolling at 80 KPH while watching my bike slide away from me. After that all I remember is trying to stand up at what I assume was 40 KPH and flailing around. As soon as I came to a stop, I got up and ran over to the bike to get it off the road. Car in front stops, car behind stops and the driver gets out and helps me out. The car in front then took off, rear end in a top hat.

Anywho, the DR started right back up, and the only damage it suffered was the back left tail light snapped, but it still works! Just kinda flops around. The passenger foot peg acted as a slider, and the clutch lever was already previously broken so no damage there. As far as myself, my right knee is bruised, my right wrist is bruised and my lower back hurts a bit. I had dislocated my shoulder at the time of the crash but that happens about once a week so nothing new, popped it in and good to go. Nothing broken (I think), no road rash at all thanks to my leathers. I believe that the armor in my leathers helped me out a BIG deal. I even considered just wearing jeans before setting off. Thank gently caress I was smart today.. :)

I checked my air pressure and foudn it was 36 PSI in the front.. On knobbies. That, and I think I mighta applied too much brake at once locked it up almost instantly, and once the handlebars turned it was game over. No time to react, and I've locked fronts before..

I'm just glad I'm relatively ok and the bike has next to no damage.. Lesson learned :)

Bonus pics!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Looks like you got off relatively scott-free. Gotta love dual-sport hardiness. I don't really like using knobbies on the street because it seems that they don't give any warning when they're about to let go. I lowsided like an rear end in a parking lot doing weaves on knobbies.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Posting from the doctor's office...

gently caress gravel. Hit some in the middle of a curve and lowsided at about 30mph. Gear worked splendidly, not a scratch on me. Impact did something to my shoulder though, that's why I'm here! The bike is scratched up, and the rear brake lever bent, but I was able to drive it home.

gently caress gravel. Now I need a new helmet :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Finally had one last night :(.

I was heading back to Albuquerque from visiting friends in Phoenix (and selling a motorcycle...). There'd been spotty storms all day but nothing serious. I took an incredibly silly route back and took longer than anticipated in the morning, figuring I would make it back up slabbing 40 from Holbrook, AZ to ABQ. I was wrong. Pretty serious storms started up around the AZ/NM border, but nothing other than rain/strong winds. I stopped for dinner in Gallup and to kinda wait the storms out, the radar was showing them to be pretty small and moving fast. Hopped back on the bike when it looked like the worst of it was over... only to run into storms again maybe 10mi down the road :(

It started looking better as I crossed the Divide, no rain and the roads were drying up! I'd picked the pace back up at that point and was feeling pretty good. Then more heavy rain so I slowed down to ~40 or so... then BAM motherfucking 3-4 inches of hail and slush on the road :wtf:. Basically no warning. Just heavy rain to one shitload of hail on the ground. I was already slowing down from the heavy rain but after I saw that I started for the shoulder. I managed to hit a spot where a semi had run over and turned to solid loving ice and boom lost the front, went down on the right side. Slid for a ways and hopped right back up. I was more or less out of the road at that point, but I picked the bike up and got it completely off the road. Only one semi driver stopped to see if I was ok... the rest of the cagers could care less.

Total damage to me? Basically nothing. In looking my gear over I only found one small tear on the rear vent zipper flap. Didn't hit my head on the ground as far as I know but I was wearing my cheapo STT super deal EXO1000 so if it's trash no big deal. Pants are totally fine. Gloves fine as well but I did find out how good of a shovel a cortec scarab winter glove makes when sliding backwards over hail and slush... Nothing like having wet and cold hands! I felt fine after going down but when I woke up this morning my wrist was bugging me. I don't think it's anything worse than a sprain but who knows.

The bike wasn't bad either. Tiny bit of rash on the exhaust, got the right side engine cover pretty good, no broken levers but the bar end and tip of the brake lever did contact the ground. Very little fairing rash. Who would have thought ice offers little in the way of abrasion... or traction for that matter.

After collecting myself and the bike there was little choice other than continuing along the shoulder to the next exit. Riding in that poo poo wasn't bad when it was fresh - I had no issues riding along the shoulder. The exit I came up on really had no services but I got off the interstate and on a road that paralleled it. Rode for ~7 miles in very heavy rain (luckily no more hail) till I found a gas station... that of course was closed so I couldn't go try to dry my goddamn glove out and get some coffee. While I was standing around under the canopy trying to figure out what to do a car pulls up... stops right in the middle, not near a pump. There's mud and poo poo all over the car, talked with them for a bit and they too lost it in the hail. Spun out and hit the ditch. Luckily there was no serious damage to their car and they came to a stop on some concrete poured in the median so they were easily able to get out of the ditch. That was my biggest fear as I was on the side of the road... someone else losing their poo poo and taking me out wiht them.

What did I learn from this? Desert thunderstorms can suck my balls, that's what I learned. I'm no stranger to riding in poo poo weather, manage to ride in the rain frequently so that's no big deal. I COULD NOT believe how fast the hail had accumulated. I basically just registered that hail was lightly mixed in with the rain when I came up on all the poo poo on the road. I don't know what I would have done differently in this case. I was trying to get to the shoulder to get into the fresh, non packed stuff and stop (or go very slowly with my flashers on so I would stand less of a chance of getting smoked).

I think the moral of the story is weather is very unpredictable. gently caress weather.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

needknees posted:

I think the moral of the story is weather is very unpredictable. gently caress weather.

Sonoran desert storms are highly unpredictable, they'll drop 1-2 inches of rain in 20 minutes and then just stop. Sorry to hear that you got caught in them. I know how you feel since I live in Tucson and what's sometimes a 30% chance of rain equals out to standing in your skivvies in a laundromat while you wait for your clothes to dry.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Riding through hail is nuts. Its insanely loud on the helmet and hurts the hands through leather gloves no problem.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NipplesTheCat posted:

Sonoran desert storms are highly unpredictable, they'll drop 1-2 inches of rain in 20 minutes and then just stop. Sorry to hear that you got caught in them. I know how you feel since I live in Tucson and what's sometimes a 30% chance of rain equals out to standing in your skivvies in a laundromat while you wait for your clothes to dry.

Seriously, people that have never seen it just don't understand. :v:

modify_evolution
Jan 21, 2010
Holy crap guys, quit crashing. I'm like "I haven't checked this thread in 24 hours!" and BLEGH CRASHING. Including 33% of the goons I've met in real life. Stop that, needknees.
Glad everyone's okay.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

modify_evolution posted:

Holy crap guys, quit crashing. I'm like "I haven't checked this thread in 24 hours!" and BLEGH CRASHING. Including 33% of the goons I've met in real life. Stop that, needknees.
Glad everyone's okay.

After my crash yesterday, I iced my wounds, had a hot shower, took some advil and iced them some more. This morning I got up and my knee and wrist basically didn't hurt anymore, my back hurt less, but my shoulder still aches. I even went to work which was tearing apart a barn, utilising a crow bar and lots of physical labour.

If it wasn't for my gear I might have a lot of road rash, a broken collar bone or shoulder blade, and definitely a shattered knee cap. Gear prevented me from having a 1-2 month recovery, instead it's a few days, maybe a week at most of annoying pain.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
My brother posts here so Tomek - please dont tell mum.

Went down at the track yesterday. It was at MSR Houston, in the second last session on the last turn (turn 1 I think) entering the pit straight. Bascially I came out of the long sweeping left hander before it and setting up for the right turn into the straight, and for some reason target fixated on the curbing on the inside of that turn. I feel really dumb cause it could have been easily avoided.

I bounced over the curbing, onto the grass, back onto the track and then low sided. Speed wise I'm not sure but I went into the sweeper before hand at 80mph (Im a newbie) and I dont remember doing any significant braking, though there isnt much damage to me or my bike so I must've bled considerable speed off. I had a camera mounted but not recording that session!

The damage to the bike is a mangled rear brake lever, ground down fairing (SV650s so it has the bikini fairing only) which doesn't really look all that bad, some sanding primer and paint and it will be good. Cracked the indicator on the right side, ground the ball on the brake lever and bar end, and scratched the exhaust. Not bad - no damage to engine, tank or tail section so I'm grateful for that. I had bought frame sliders but they took a long time to ship and I didn't have the correct tools to install them on the one night I had before the event.

Gear wise - helmet took a blow so its probably a goner (shoei rf1100 :( ). I had a brand new teknic chicane suit on which held up ok except for the shoulder section where it had a fabric panel on the inside the shoulder. That is torn up good. Seeing how flimsy that fabric is doesn't inspire confidence, but hey I just crashed and I walked away so I'm happy. I'll take that somewhere to get it stitched back up. My right glove knuckle guard is ground down to the carbon fibre (I thought that was just a gimmick to sell gloves.. guess not) and my shoes are scuffed.

Most of the impact was on my side, I have some bruises and it feels like someone pierced my body from the front of my chest to the right shoulder blade whenever I cough. I hit my head but no concussion etc though I was a bit dazed yesterday.. I drove home with the hanger for my suit dangling from the roof rack, and the key for my bike still in the ignition. More sore today but I'm just grateful I'm in good shape. The only real painful thing is my left hand (which had no damage on the glove) is banged up, swollen and hurts to do anything but the EMS said it should be OK. Kept it on ice yesterday and is feeling a little better. Still not sure how that happened.

In retrospect what really concerns me is that despite that I crashed out on the entrance to the pit straight, no officials saw it happen, no flags went up even though I could see the corner workers and waved at them. Until I moved my bike off the track (maybe a minute or two after I got up) I was waving at riders to make sure they saw me. Luckily I was off the racing line. Students are instructed not to stop for fallen riders, which is cool but a number of instructors rode by without stopping either , which is just plain hosed up. Im guessing they must've rode by after I picked up the bike but thats still not cool considering I was standing by the side of the track with my helmet off. I have some issues with how the instruction was run in general but I'll keep those to myself.
Some of the track employees (not the riding school employees) yelled out to me from the pit lane asking if I needed a tow so I thought they were going to get a flag up, but they didn't radio it to the track marshall. I ended up riding the bike back into the paddock after the session ended (a few minutes later), and walked out to the EMS to get my hand checked out as I couldn't use it. When I went to the track marshall he was surprised cause no one had told him I'd gone down. I got away lightly, but if someone had target fixated on me or messed up their line or whatever, or even if I had gotten dazed enough to walk out onto the line it could have ended much worse.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

My brother posts here so Tomek - please dont tell mum.

Went down at the track yesterday. It was at MSR Houston, in the second last session on the last turn (turn 1 I think) entering the pit straight. Bascially I came out of the long sweeping left hander before it and setting up for the right turn into the straight, and for some reason target fixated on the curbing on the inside of that turn. I feel really dumb cause it could have been easily avoided.

I bounced over the curbing, onto the grass, back onto the track and then low sided. Speed wise I'm not sure but I went into the sweeper before hand at 80mph (Im a newbie) and I dont remember doing any significant braking, though there isnt much damage to me or my bike so I must've bled considerable speed off. I had a camera mounted but not recording that session!

The damage to the bike is a mangled rear brake lever, ground down fairing (SV650s so it has the bikini fairing only) which doesn't really look all that bad, some sanding primer and paint and it will be good. Cracked the indicator on the right side, ground the ball on the brake lever and bar end, and scratched the exhaust. Not bad - no damage to engine, tank or tail section so I'm grateful for that. I had bought frame sliders but they took a long time to ship and I didn't have the correct tools to install them on the one night I had before the event.

Gear wise - helmet took a blow so its probably a goner (shoei rf1100 :( ). I had a brand new teknic chicane suit on which held up ok except for the shoulder section where it had a fabric panel on the inside the shoulder. That is torn up good. Seeing how flimsy that fabric is doesn't inspire confidence, but hey I just crashed and I walked away so I'm happy. I'll take that somewhere to get it stitched back up. My right glove knuckle guard is ground down to the carbon fibre (I thought that was just a gimmick to sell gloves.. guess not) and my shoes are scuffed.

Most of the impact was on my side, I have some bruises and it feels like someone pierced my body from the front of my chest to the right shoulder blade whenever I cough. I hit my head but no concussion etc though I was a bit dazed yesterday.. I drove home with the hanger for my suit dangling from the roof rack, and the key for my bike still in the ignition. More sore today but I'm just grateful I'm in good shape. The only real painful thing is my left hand (which had no damage on the glove) is banged up, swollen and hurts to do anything but the EMS said it should be OK. Kept it on ice yesterday and is feeling a little better. Still not sure how that happened.

In retrospect what really concerns me is that despite that I crashed out on the entrance to the pit straight, no officials saw it happen, no flags went up even though I could see the corner workers and waved at them. Until I moved my bike off the track (maybe a minute or two after I got up) I was waving at riders to make sure they saw me. Luckily I was off the racing line. Students are instructed not to stop for fallen riders, which is cool but a number of instructors rode by without stopping either , which is just plain hosed up. Im guessing they must've rode by after I picked up the bike but thats still not cool considering I was standing by the side of the track with my helmet off. I have some issues with how the instruction was run in general but I'll keep those to myself.
Some of the track employees (not the riding school employees) yelled out to me from the pit lane asking if I needed a tow so I thought they were going to get a flag up, but they didn't radio it to the track marshall. I ended up riding the bike back into the paddock after the session ended (a few minutes later), and walked out to the EMS to get my hand checked out as I couldn't use it. When I went to the track marshall he was surprised cause no one had told him I'd gone down. I got away lightly, but if someone had target fixated on me or messed up their line or whatever, or even if I had gotten dazed enough to walk out onto the line it could have ended much worse.

Glad you are ok. Just a quick comment about instructors not stopping...No one stops on a racetrack. That's how really really bad things happen. They are not EMT's, they are not mechanics, they are not supermen. The only thing they could do if they stop is say "poo poo, you went down". You should be annoyed at the corner workers (if there were enough of them to cover the whole track that is) more than anything for not, at the very least, putting up a yellow flag.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Dear Cycle Asylum, I never thought it would happen to me.

Man, do I wish this was a thread about bangin' hot coeds.

I was sideswiped on the 10 East in LA yesterday, around 4:45 pm, right before the National Blvd exit. I was splitting in the right side of the #3 lane, and a silver Pontiac Sunfire came either from the left side of the #3, or from the #2 (I didn't even see the car until I was watching my arm take her passenger mirror off), and tried to get into the #4 lane via me. I closed my eyes immediately after getting hit in the left side, but I think I was tossed off the bike and hit on my right shoulder/forearm, then rolled and slid a little bit. There was zero opportunity to try and control the bike, which is why I think I was hit hard enough to be thrown right away. I was going 40-45, traffic was going 35-40.

I jumped up as soon as I stopped moving, as my first thought was "oh poo poo, please no one run me over," and I walked to the shoulder until I could get my wits back and see that traffic had stopped. I went back to pick the bike up, and somehow the kill switch had been flipped in the tumble which was convenient. Walked the bike to the shoulder and traffic resumed before I could grab the car's mirror or my right turn signal. gently caress you, LA drivers.

She stopped, thankfully, and had insurance, thankfully, and even called 911 right away. A CHP officer (very nice guy, of course recommended I don't lane split anymore) showed up 15 minutes later, and we went to the gas station to take statements, etc.

I don't really know how lane splitting factors into the fault determination, but I was just going straight, with plenty of space in the right side of the lane. Really in the end, I'm out a couple hundred for a new helmet, jacket, and turn signals. The forks are twisted, but not bent as far as I can tell. I rode it home without issue, but the handlebars were turned slightly to the right when going straight. I took surface streets, being less than a mile from home at that point. :sigh:

Gash on my forearm where I think my too-loose textile jacket moved, as well as on my shoulder where the jacket basically disintegrated. I know textiles are kinda one-use-only, but I think UV degradation of the synthetics was going on too (its seen 19 months of SoCal sun by now, almost daily). The shoulder of the jacket basically exploded. Other than that I'm just sore. I was pretty much set to be an ATTGATT kinda guy anyway, but this really drove that point home. The bike is rashed up slightly more than before on the right side, and I lost both front turn signals as well as got the twist in the forks, but other than that I don't think anything's broken.

Now to wade through the red tape of insurance and get a new helmet and jacket (going leather this time, I think).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 5, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Lane splitting is legal in CA, right? If so, I wouldn't see how that could be a factor. Glad you're ok, and it sounds like you made it out surprisingly well given the circumstances. Every time I start to read a post in this thread, I have to remind myself "they're posting here now, so it couldn't have been that bad."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Glad you're ok. You should be ok on the lanesharing front, but I had 100% her fault somehow turn into 100% my fault when the cop was done with the report. Fucker. But you actually made contact and it looks like it's pretty clear cut so you should be ok. Glad the damage was minor and fully perf'd leather jacket are awesome. Lemme know if I can help with anything on getting the bile back together.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
You might want to see if her insurance will pay for your gear if she's determined at fault. It was damage caused by the crash like any other and I've heard of other people having luck with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

henne posted:

You might want to see if her insurance will pay for your gear if she's determined at fault. It was damage caused by the crash like any other and I've heard of other people having luck with this.

That's the plan. I have accessory coverage on my plan but not collision. The accessory coverage only kicks in if the accident is covered by my plan. I've already got PDFs ready of order confirmations, etc. for the jacket and helmet. Curse me for getting a deal on the jacket, though. :v:

Who makes a more oval-shaped helmet than a Scorpion EXO-700, that offers at least yellow or orange if not something fluorescent? I've had a little pressure on my forehead from the helmet and wanted to try something else.

• Locked thread