Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Cyrezar posted:

I don't understand the Mercedes (CL 600?) wheels. I mean why go out of your way to have another manufacturer's wheels on your car? Then again you VW people always confuse me so much

Because they look ballin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh

kill me now posted:

i dig it, i secretly want to put some of those Audi TT 5-spoke wheels on my Jetta

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Hermansen posted:

Nope, it's a Coxster..

Yeticopter posted:

Jeremy Clarkson did?
Clarkson on Top Gear refers to it as the Coxster, because (according to him) everyone who drives one is a cock (also most BMW and Audi drivers, apparently).

When I saw the episode of Top Gear, I took this as a (Clarkson-level, i.e. not very) reasonable evaluation of a car from someone who has driven enough different cars to know. Then I saw a few seasons of Fifth Gear, where Tiff Needell calls the Boxster one of the best cars he's ever driven - and he is also a person who has driven enough to know. I had already heard about the, well, "rivalry" isn't the right word for the attitude between the shows, but I put that down to BBC vs. Five within-UK parochial competitiveness. Then I learned that Tiff had been on Top Gear back in the 80's, and suddenly it clicked.

Do you really want to participate in a decades-long pissing match between two middle-aged British television presenters?

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

The Third Man posted:

why

Cyrezar posted:

I don't understand the Mercedes (CL 600?) wheels. I mean why go out of your way to have another manufacturer's wheels on your car? Then again you VW people always confuse me so much
Why not? I'm genuinely surprised that some people think I should only put VW wheels on a VW car. Granted, I've only recently become interested in cars and mostly read euro forums, but I thought this was common.
I bought them because A) all 4 of my previous wheels had curb damage from the previous owner B) Most VW wheels are ugly in my opinion C) I wanted a unique look D) They are both German manufacturers E) They are the same bolt pattern F) I like shiny things and they match my trim and grille and G) They were $950 used, with tires, lug bolts, and center caps -- shipped.
Is it because my car is cheap and MB makes cars that cost 10x as much as mine? I can understand that, it's true. As I pointed out, the wheels weren't very expensive though. I'm cool with any wheel on any car if it looks good...it's the wheels that cost over $2k a set that make me ask "why". Anyway, to each his own, thanks for weighing in.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Well VW is the poor man's Audi which is the upper middle class man's Skoda which are sold in Europe. Europe is the rich man's North America (where Chryslers come from), and there used to be a business partnership between them and Daimler-Benz, making Chrysler the working-two-jobs single parent's Bentley. Bentley, of course, being the creepy uncle's hedge fund manager's Cadillac, a company known for putting lots of shiny bits on their cars (moving them up a snack bracket or two, depending on inflation and the price of prescription medication in that particular year).

So, it makes perfect sense those wheels should go on that car.

(PS: Watch out for curbs, and is that a diesel?)
I can't tell if you're trolling me or not.
I am babying them and kept my old set to put back on in the winter. Negative on diesel, it's a 2.5L I5. Now that I am happy with the looks, an intake, ECU tune, and exhaust are next on the list.

A5H posted:

YES!
Needs to go lower though.
:D I may. I've only had my coilovers on for a month so I'm taking baby steps as I get used to driving lowered. There's half an inch of thread left on the fronts I could go down. The rears are all the way down but I could take out the collars. Right now, I only barely rub tire if I cut all the way right or left and I can take speed bumps straight on, which is good. Not looking forward to having to roll my fenders.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Needs a little work on the stance, rusty lug bolts, the lack of tints & euro plate. Def. plasti dip the chrome and smoke the tails. p.sick mkv for sure
I kinda like the tucking look. I have no plans to go "hellaflush" or poke. Possibly going lower like I said to A5H. You're right about the rusty bolts. Undecided on tint. Euro plates are dumb in my opinion, but I would like to remove my front plate bracket and zip tie my plate to one of the lower side grilles. That looks ghetto though. Stupid MD front plate law :(. I do like the look of the shiny (not plastidip) black grilles and smoked tails, that is a possibility but for now I like how everything matches.

metalhead posted:

That Jetta looks sharp!

unknown poster posted:

That Jetta looks amazing, gently caress the haters.

kill me now posted:

Thanks! :)

blue vein steel posted:

i dig it, i secretly want to put some of those Audi TT 5-spoke wheels on my Jetta
Do it!

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 5, 2010

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

When I saw the episode of Top Gear, I took this as a (Clarkson-level, i.e. not very) reasonable evaluation of a car from someone who has driven enough different cars to know. Then I saw a few seasons of Fifth Gear, where Tiff Needell calls the Boxster one of the best cars he's ever driven - and he is also a person who has driven enough to know. I had already heard about the, well, "rivalry" isn't the right word for the attitude between the shows, but I put that down to BBC vs. Five within-UK parochial competitiveness. Then I learned that Tiff had been on Top Gear back in the 80's, and suddenly it clicked.

Do you really want to participate in a decades-long pissing match between two middle-aged British television presenters?

Fifth Gear was a TV Car Show.

Top Gear is a TV Comedy Show, about Cars.

Clarskson calls the Boxster the Coxster because its funny.

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 5, 2010

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KuruMonkey posted:

Clarskson calls the Boxster the Coxster because its funny.

Surely you can't be the only one to realize that Clarkson is a professional troll? Take anything he says with a grain of salt, people.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

dreesemonkey posted:

Surely you can't be the only one to realize that Clarkson is a professional troll? Take anything he says with a grain of salt, people.

Literally this.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I like the Jetta. I like the look of those wheels. But I wouldn't go lower. I would leave well enough alone.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

mafoose posted:

Mr. Toast, is there a way to bump your thread out of the archives? Or could you repost the videos? My friend is considering doing something similar and needs a nudge in the right direction. Car looks sharp!

Thanks! I could make a new build thread but I won't be doing much to the car this winter to warrant it. They're all here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr2sauce?feature=mhum#p/u/1/0hswOh6k4vw

Mr. Toast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 5, 2010

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank

dreesemonkey posted:

Pretty much this. Plus with stuff like the Boxster, if you are never going to be in a position where you can realistically afford either a Boxster or a 911 then you can be as snobby and opinionated as you like because you turning your nose up at a Boxster as some kind of cheap compromise doesn't mean poo poo if the 'cheap' one is still waay out of your reach. You can guarantee that if the people who sneer at a Boxster suddenly came into a pile of cash but still not quite enough for a 911 then they'd quickly begin to appreciate it's worth.

Full disclosure edit: I'm almost certainly never going to be able to afford a Boxster. Still think they're awfully pretty though.

Dogtanian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 5, 2010

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Dogtanian posted:

Pretty much this. Plus with stuff like the Boxster, if you are never going to be in a position where you can realistically afford either a Boxster or a 911 then you can be as snobby and opinionated as you like because you turning your nose up at a Boxster as some kind of cheap compromise doesn't mean poo poo if the 'cheap' one is still waay out of your reach. You can guarantee that if the people who sneer at a Boxster suddenly came into a pile of cash but still not quite enough for a 911 then they'd quickly begin to appreciate it's worth.

Full disclosure edit: I'm almost certainly never going to be able to afford a Boxster. Still think they're awfully pretty though.

I can agree with this, I have owned several P-cars over the years including a 2000 Boxster S. Generally the hate comes from those who one have never driven one and two from people for whom the car is out of reach. Originally I poo poo on them but once I was able to drive and purchase one I became a fan very quick.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Spectracide posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not.

I am 100% deadly serious, would you like to see my spreadsheet? It's very informative.

I think the wheels look fine

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Got Timmy aka The Beast registered today. Oil hasn't been changed in years and it even has the original rust!

This truck runs loving awesome though. It sat all winter with the battery hooked up and still started right up in the spring on the old lovely gas that I drained out of all my landscaping equipment last year.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
:swoon: older Dodge full-size pickups :swoon:

Posted in the 4x4 thread, why not post again:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Finally got some new tires to throw on the new(used) wheels I got for the X.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75/16, heard good things about them. Ohh they also look awesome.

Also hopefully they wont kill me like the horrible horrible tires that came on it. Brand spankin new WILD TRAC A/T, zero grip if there was a hint of moisture on the road, I was scared to think about what they would do if there was snow around.

D C fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 6, 2010

lolwut
Jan 15, 2003

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

Got Timmy aka The Beast registered today. Oil hasn't been changed in years and it even has the original rust!

Change your oil, rear end in a top hat!

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
This is the most recent picture that I have.

Still daily driving it, even though more and more little things keep breaking. Once I get a better DD, I'd like to fix it up, put a 2J in it, and get it repainted. In the meantime, time to get the winter tires on...

Exhibit A
May 29, 2003

Mazda's retarded middle child, the MX-6.

Tyte mods are: Tokico Illuminas, Vogtland springs, PG LSD, water-to-air intercooler, boost @ 11psi.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Exhibit A posted:

Mazda's retarded middle child, the MX-6.

Tyte mods are: Tokico Illuminas, Vogtland springs, PG LSD, water-to-air intercooler, boost @ 11psi.

I've said it whenever an old MX-6 GT pops up here -- mine was quite possibly my favorite car out of 25+ that I've owned over the years. Just for the shear beater-ness of it. I had some ghetto mods on it -- vacuum leak to just let it hit the factory boost-cut for boost control, Probe swirlies that rubbed bad in the rear, Yugo hood scoop for Cold Element Induction, etc...

The car saw no love, was totally hammered on, all the time, and never missed a beat. I'm jealous, but lose the corksport sticker.

Exhibit A
May 29, 2003
The sticker is justified, CorkSport is a sponsor :)

I've actually got two of these things, this is another 89 GT

Click here for the full 800x516 image.

I've owned 5 of these stupid cars over the years, but these two are the only ones I've kept. I've got a few built shortblocks sitting in the garage that need to be used, so I'll probably throw my fogger kit on the black car and see how much it'll take before it pops.

Exhibit A fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2010

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

lolwut posted:

Change your oil, rear end in a top hat!

I got the stuff to do it today. I wasn't the one neglecting it. I also ordered new tie rod ends and a drag link (all Moog, nothing but the best) since it has about 6 inches of play in the wheel. The rear main seal kind of takes care of the oil changes anyway, all I would really have to do is change the filter every once in a while. I also ordered some valve cover gaskets because they leak so much I don't want it to catch on fire. Timmy project thread coming soon. The truck has an enormous amount of problems yet still runs so mint and I love it. Old Dodges kick rear end.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I left me real camera at work but I detailed and waxed it today so I took an iPhone photo anyway. Here it is with it's winter wheels and tires.

2002 IS300 with a 5-speed and LSD, it's everything I've ever wanted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Exhibit A posted:

The sticker is justified, CorkSport is a sponsor :)

I've actually got two of these things, this is another 89 GT

Click here for the full 800x516 image.

I've owned 5 of these stupid cars over the years, but these two are the only ones I've kept. I've got a few built shortblocks sitting in the garage that need to be used, so I'll probably throw my fogger kit on the black car and see how much it'll take before it pops.

More pictures please?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My hire car in New Zealand. Daihatsu Sirion 1.3lt. It has one of the heaviest clutches I have come across in a car.

I am amazed by the number of Japanese grey import cars in NZ. There are barely any European or US brand cars here. And strange rebadging of vehicles, like Hino trucks rebadged as Fords...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

I am amazed by the number of Japanese grey import cars in NZ. There are barely any European or US brand cars here. And strange rebadging of vehicles, like Hino trucks rebadged as Fords...

You'll likely see a few Chev Cavaliers (badged as Toyotas) and possibly the occasional 300c but thats it.

Lots of euros around though, although more in the cities than out in the country.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

You Am I posted:

My hire car in New Zealand. Daihatsu Sirion 1.3lt. It has one of the heaviest clutches I have come across in a car.

This is very un-Japanese.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Minutes before I put the OEM wheels on for winter. It's a '97 LS Special(?) according to Chiltons. Learned to drive stick in it, and it's amazingly fun to whip around.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Openknees posted:

Minutes before I put the OEM wheels on for winter. It's a '97 LS Special(?) according to Chiltons. Learned to drive stick in it, and it's amazingly fun to whip around.

I'm confused. The stop sign in the background is the standard American stop sign so I'm assuming the front plate is a novelty plate but you blanked it out?

e:nm, apparently some European countries use the same sign as well.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

More like most of them, if not all.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

I'm confused. The stop sign in the background is the standard American stop sign so I'm assuming the front plate is a novelty plate but you blanked it out?

I'm an American stationed in Germany :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There's another non-US sign in the background too.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
haha yeah, I noticed that after I posted the edit. I've always noticed that most European road signs are obviously different than American but guess I never paid attention to stop signs.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

Turbo shitbox is finally starting to look alright!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Took a few lovely camera phone pictures of the rust-bucket. I've honestly never owned a car without rust or horrible paint. gently caress you New England.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Turbo shitbox is finally starting to look alright!

You have a turbo Lumina? I've only ever seen one of those.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Baby Hitler posted:

I can't tell if this is a fakepost, but this is not a lumina. The only turbo w-body of this era was the Grand Prix.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I lost 600lbs with a new daily:

Goddamn these things handle like a dream. :iia:

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

Baby Hitler posted:

Its a grand prix, But I also have a 5 speed lumina if that counts for anything

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

_firehawk posted:

I can't tell if this is a fakepost, but this is not a lumina. The only turbo w-body of this era was the Grand Prix.

Looked like a Grand Prix to me too. I know there was a turbo Lumina coupe with the 3.1t for like a single year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

_firehawk posted:

Don't know why but that reminded me of this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6U_KawAdg