Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

Her name was Jesse and she had been on the show much earlier in its run before Kari joined at all.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Scottie. Jessie was only around while Kari was on maternity leave-IIRC, Kari was on like the second episode of Mythbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This Philly tow truck driver show is ridiculous. And to think, they started making this show because the drivers were shooting at each other.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

IRQ posted:

I thought the VOs we get in the US were done by Canadians? That guy who narrates Mythbusters sure sounds like a Canadian and I'm pretty sure he's said dumb stuff like "zed" before.
He's in Australia, but none of his voiceover stuff has an Aussie accent, so who knows.
http://www.listenerguide.com/index2.php

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The table pull video looked horrible, but there are sooooooooooo many people that think these horrible videos on the web are real it isn't funny. I know this because I know many of these people. :(

Scottie was cool, but I will say that Jessie was a decent addition to the crew when Kari was on maternity leave. She, like Scottie, brought actual build experience to the team, but she didn't handle the horrible scripted segments so well. Kari isn't terrible, but a lot of times she doesn't bring much to the show.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 3, 2010

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

haveblue posted:

Her name was Jesse and she had been on the show much earlier in its run before Kari joined at all.

Kari has been working on the show since it started.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't really seem like 5 a minute is that fast for bow and arrow.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Did they ever do a sober, well-rested control run for the driving course? Or did they just sort of skip that part? I mean I know the show is pretty unscientific at times but that's just lazy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They usually do, but they don't show it, because they only have 44 minutes.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I really wish Waylon Jennings was still alive to be the Stormchasers/Swamp Loggers balladeer.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Totally taken by surprise that Matt Hughes passed away. I actually teared up a little at the end there. From what I have read online, he attempted to commit suicide at his home shortly after the tornado intercept. He died a week later at the hospital.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/storm-chasers/tribute.html

If you have a couple of extra bucks, consider sending it to his memorial. He left behind a wife and two young sons.

Matthew John Hughes Memorial Fund
c/o Intrust Bank
142 North Ash
Valley Center, Kansas 67147

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn
Yay, the first Storm Chasers episode with a good friend from undergrad has aired - she's awesome :)

Bitter sweet that it's Matt's last though. :smith:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hazo posted:

Did they ever do a sober, well-rested control run for the driving course? Or did they just sort of skip that part? I mean I know the show is pretty unscientific at times but that's just lazy.

Actually, since the myth was just that you drive worse tired than drunk, a control run with neither would be entirely unnecessary for a valid scientific analysis.

Also they might have been worried it would end up not showing a difference with tipsy and send a message they wouldn't want.

C0lin
Jul 12, 2005

Horse Pepsi posted:

Yay, the first Storm Chasers episode with a good friend from undergrad has aired - she's awesome :)

Bitter sweet that it's Matt's last though. :smith:

She's really cute too. It was such a bummer to see that about Matt. I kinda wish it had been a reason other than suicide.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

C0lin posted:

She's really cute too.

Yeah, we were both atmospheric science majors in a class of a handful of people. Definitely cool. Smart, funny and from NYC. :)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Timmer is such a turbo douche, with the girlfriend and the fat dude. I can't believe he got a windshield wiper endorsement.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That was a hard Storm Chasers to watch. It was so bitter sweet, to see Matt finally being given the respect and trust to lead the TIV into a tornado and to see him accomplish that goal perfectly. Then to realize that it was his last chase, was really really sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Horse Pepsi posted:

Are you the one that taught her how to drive?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If she's from NYC then her driving skills (or lack of) make sense now.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ToastyPotato posted:

Scottie was cool, but I will say that Jessie was a decent addition to the crew when Kari was on maternity leave. She, like Scottie, brought actual build experience to the team, but she didn't handle the horrible scripted segments so well. Kari isn't terrible, but a lot of times she doesn't bring much to the show.
Wait a second Grant has just as much build experience as Scottie did.

Hazo posted:

I honestly don't know if you would need the well rested sober as a control from a true science perspective. I know that a lot of medical studies where they are set up in the manner that they ran that experiment. They compare one thing known to cause a specified effect to something else they would hope would also cause the specified effect.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 4, 2010

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I don't drive :(

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

FogHelmut posted:

Timmer is such a turbo douche, with the girlfriend and the fat dude. I can't believe he got a windshield wiper endorsement.

He has done spots for Lexus and Turbo Tax too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wait a second Grant has just as much build experience as Scottie did.

I honestly don't know if you would need the well rested sober as a control from a true science perspective. I know that a lot of medical studies where they are set up in the manner that they ran that experiment. They compare one thing known to cause a specified effect to something else they would hope would also cause the specified effect.

I was comparing Scottie to Kari and worded it poorly. Grant and Tori have a bunch of experience if I am not mistaken. Kari was just an intern when she was hired, right?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

ToastyPotato posted:

Kari was just an intern when she was hired, right?

Yes, she offered Jamie her rear end.

as a mold for a project

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really liked the latest episode of Mythbusters. They finally went back to one of the main reason I watch the show - the actual build.

It's fascinating watching them work the project, fixing all the problems that inevitably crop up with any complex device. With all the stupid crap they do, it's easy to forget how incredibly skilled they both are.

I know it must be hard when you're doing your ten millionth "let's make a full size remote control car" segment to make thing interesting, so you just gloss over the whole proceedure instead :(

Hope they go back to spending more time on that in the future.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Grant and Tori have a bunch of experience if I am not mistaken.

Both of them spent a long time at Industrial Light & Magic; Tory used to work as a model maker, while Grant (in addition to working on models and animatronics for a poo poo-ton of movies) is one of something like four people authorized to operate R2-D2. Both of them had worked for Jamie in the early- to mid-'90s, which is how they got invited to be part of MythBusters.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 5, 2010

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Timby posted:

Both of them spent a long time at Industrial Light & Magic; Tory used to work as a model maker, while Grant (in addition to working on models and animatronics for a poo poo-ton of movies) is one of something like four people authorized to operate R2-D2.

Grant will always be immortalized in my book for this thing here.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ToastyPotato posted:

I was comparing Scottie to Kari and worded it poorly. Grant and Tori have a bunch of experience if I am not mistaken. Kari was just an intern when she was hired, right?
Yeah but she's an art major which could mean anything in terms of skill level.

quote:

Grant (in addition to working on models and animatronics for a poo poo-ton of movies)
Grant's the only one of them with a techncial degree.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why did Scottie leave anyway?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As I understand it (I saw Grant and Tory speak at UW-Platteville a few years ago, and they were asked about it), Scottie's background was in metalworking and fabrication shops, and her entire mentality was "start a project, finish a project, move onto the next one." The way that TV shows are produced, with shooting everything from multiple angles, doing things out of sequence, and the start-stop-start style of work, really bothered her, and she ultimately sat down with Jamie and the producers and said that while she loved what the show was doing, she couldn't keep working on it, and they let her out of her contract.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
Finally a reason to get a 3D television. Natively 3D MythBusters!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/discovery-3d-mythbusters-43904

quote:

The 3D TV network joint venture of Discovery Communications, Imax and Sony Corp. is looking at teaming with Discovery to shoot some episodes of hit show Mythbusters in native 3D.
A spokesman for the network, scheduled to launch next year, confirmed that the channel is "extremely interested" in the idea, but said there is no deal to announce at this stage.
The network would not just shoot select Mythbusters episodes with 3D cameras in addition to the regular 2D filming, but is looking to create native 3D, or productions designed with 3D in mind.
The 2D version would air on Discovery, while the 3D version would air on the venture channel.
The network would likely test the approach in limited form for its feasibility and economics.
It may also look at other Discovery shows for similar treatment.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
My dad thinks living off the grid is a cool idea, but he's never been super paranoid about it. For now. I'm going to have to limit his exposure to shows like "Track Me If You Can." It's interesting to learn about stuff like info chips embedded in tires, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

the-jam posted:

Finally a reason to get a 3D television. Natively 3D MythBusters!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/discovery-3d-mythbusters-43904

Dirty Jobs 3D :gonk:

Also, I was under the assumption that there was no standard for 3D yet? So would this be equally 3D for everyone who had various 3DTVs?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToastyPotato posted:

Dirty Jobs 3D :gonk:

Also, I was under the assumption that there was no standard for 3D yet? So would this be equally 3D for everyone who had various 3DTVs?

If the TVs speak HDMI 1.4 then there is a standard for 3D. I don't know if there's a standard for broadcasting 3D over cable but that's for the STB to figure out.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Who know that you could swim underwater in a tuxedo and still have it look good.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That's very surprising and extremely cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And that's two myths I really didn't expect to be confirmed.

They did fall a little short on procedure for the tuxedo myth, though- they should have had the fashion guy try to determine which one of them went swimming, especially since they could already tell that Jamie still looked perfect before they met up with him.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

haveblue posted:

They did fall a little short on procedure for the tuxedo myth, though- they should have had the fashion guy try to guess which one of them went swimming, especially if they could already tell that Jamie still looked perfect.
Yeah but its next to impossible to blind that when only one of them is well known to be a salvage diver.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

haveblue posted:

They did fall a little short on procedure for the tuxedo myth, though- they should have had the fashion guy try to determine which one of them went swimming, especially since they could already tell that Jamie still looked perfect before they met up with him.

I really don't think they expected him to be that dry and perfect looking at all.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They're building a candy-stealing robot arm and testing it out on live babies. This is retardedly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Was that a My Buddy doll?

• Locked thread