Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
I passed.

Suddenly the world seems like a brighter, more lucrative place.

(I'm a girl. Just thought I'd clarify.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Wow thank you so much for the multiple first hand accounts of the FBI hiring process. Hopefully I can help my friend convince his sister to not ruin her (and her father who is footing part of the bill with his pension) life. But she is pretty stubborn pretentious and delusional about the whole law school thing so I am sure it will fall on deaf ears.

The kicker is that she claims "everyone is way smarter than me and its really hard" and she is a 1L at a T4 school.

Also, if anyone has any info on the sad prospects of becoming FBI outside of this forum I could use as a reference. I would appreciate it.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 4, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Clinical instruction is the stupidest thing in the world. It is so useless and arbitrary.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Cortina posted:

I passed.

How you doin?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

billion dollar bitch posted:

Clinical instruction is the stupidest thing in the world. It is so useless and arbitrary.

You mean clinics where you work on real cases? I had a plea & sentencing clinic where I wrote real appellate briefs and motions and met real clients--didn't seem that arbitrary to me.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

As opposed to the eminently useful philosophical navel-gazing and mental masturbation that is the rest of the law school curriculum?

Clinics were the only practical (and therefore the only useful) classes in the entirety of my legal education. They were taught by practicing lawyers who knew their poo poo and they were graded (I thought) fairly based on the actual skills presented by participants.

In my opinion, the ABA ought to require that the entirety of 3L be nothing but practical clinical instruction, including mandatory service to the public in an actual legal office run by the law school to serve the community, in order to maintain accreditation.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Cortina posted:

I passed.

Nope, now you have to pay bar dues and CLE fees while dying alone and jobless.

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Wow thank you so much for the multiple first hand accounts of the FBI hiring process. Hopefully I can help my friend convince his sister to not ruin her (and her father who is footing part of the bill with his pension) life. But she is pretty stubborn pretentious and delusional about the whole law school thing so I am sure it will fall on deaf ears.

The kicker is that she claims "everyone is way smarter than me and its really hard" and she is a 1L at a T4 school.

Also, if anyone has any info on the sad prospects of becoming FBI outside of this forum I could use as a reference. I would appreciate it.
I went to a T1 law school, never felt dumb compared to my classmates (just a lot lazier), and I didn't feel like I was even close to them considering hiring me during the FBI interview. Mostly because I haven't been able to secure a real job post graduation (neither will she!). I am now applying to be a cop and hoping that after a few years doing that I'll be able to get in. The law degree and the last years of "practicing" law will be entirely useless the second time around. If I'd become a cop instead of going to law school I might have several years detective experience by now, depending on department. If I'd joined the military I would have 6 years of intel experience, plus a money rear end veterans preference. With either of those options I'd also have ~150,000 less debt, and at least $250,000 more in income.

Why on Earth would anyone go to law school to become an FBI agent? Its such a terrible route. The degree only gets her into the interview, it doesn't get her the experience she's going to need to talk about to pass that interview. Its not three years, get a degree, get into the FBI.

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cortina posted:

Enjoy that, it stops after a while

Seriously though, congrats. I remember how nervous and shaky I was when I found the letter from the bar examiners whatever in the mail and how relieved I was when I finally managed to get it open and read it. I didn't even know the results were out, I only checked the mail after seeing people talking about it on facebook.

It's all been downhill since (and even that was just a spike on a downward slope in the first place) so hopefully this goes better for you

In other news: forget about the other news it's boring

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 5, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

In other news: forget about the other news it's boring

Nooooo must have the Ainsley report

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Defleshed posted:

In my opinion, the ABA ought to require that the entirety of 3L be nothing but practical clinical instruction, including mandatory service to the public in an actual legal office run by the law school to serve the community, in order to maintain accreditation.

That's kind of an awesome idea. It's really too bad that we don't know anyone who holds an internal position with the ABA...

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

The only positive about coming from law into the FBI is that they count your law school years towards your pay grade.

I worked with an FBI agent here when I prosecuted, and he said he'd write a recommendation if I applied, but that was back when there weren't an extra eleventy billion unemployed law grads. My hunch is that someone who could speak Spanish fluently would have a better chance than a law school grad at this point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Nooooo must have the Ainsley report

the gist of it is that I will literally have $1.40 to my name tomorrow morning and I had to ask my mom to bail me out or I wouldn't be able to afford to get to work on monday

I kind of want another 40 but I can't afford one right now

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Ainsley McTree posted:

the gist of it is that I will literally have $1.40 to my name tomorrow morning and I had to ask my mom to bail me out or I wouldn't be able to afford to get to work on monday

I kind of want another 40 but I can't afford one right now

In college I delivered pizza and would always put the spare change I brought home in a jar. One summer I had car trouble and was barely scraping by. I used to walk down to the nearest gas station and buy cans of Steel Reserve with a stack of dimes I fished out of my change jug.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stunt Rock posted:

In college I delivered pizza and would always put the spare change I brought home in a jar. One summer I had car trouble and was barely scraping by. I used to walk down to the nearest gas station and buy cans of Steel Reserve with a stack of dimes I fished out of my change jug.

I was about to scrounge around for change to buy one but I spent it all on toilet paper :/

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was about to scrounge around for change to buy one but I spent it all on toilet paper :/

Just take a quick shower every time you poop.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I've got a decent paying job and if all goes well I'll soon have an even BETTER paying job.

At this rate by the time I retire I'll have all the jobs :smug:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Congratulations to everyone who passed the bar!

Just kidding, now you're doomed forever you poor sons of bitches.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Defleshed posted:

Clinics are massively expensive, which is why this wouldn't happen.

Law School Dean: noooooo our precious tuition dollars and important scholarly research done by tenured professors!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I mean when you think about grading, in the absence of case work to do. My professor feels like she has to take up the class time, and then also (pointless) meetings with her, and mock interviews with stupid people who just say "I don't know" to every single loving question. I rue the day I signed up, thinking it would be seven easy credits. How do you grade on this?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

I mean when you think about grading, in the absence of case work to do. My professor feels like she has to take up the class time, and then also (pointless) meetings with her, and mock interviews with stupid people who just say "I don't know" to every single loving question. I rue the day I signed up, thinking it would be seven easy credits. How do you grade on this?

Which clinic is this?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

That's kind of an awesome idea. It's really too bad that we don't know anyone who holds an internal position with the ABA...

Hey don't look at me I am but a cog in the machine. A legal sonderkommando

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Save me jeebus posted:

Congratulations to everyone who passed the bar!

Just kidding, now you're doomed forever you poor sons of bitches.

:wotwot:, esquire.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Are you in one of those "Street Law" clinics or something? My clinic's grading system was pretty easy - you get an A if you win a Social Security hearing and/or push through successful immigration applications. It also involved all the pointless mock interviews and class time you mentioned so I feel for you if that's your only method of evaluation.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
May or may not be considering a job above the arctic circle. Also, suicide.

Off to read about 24 hours of night

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus loving christ, if this case doesn't settle I have to go to appellate court.

:smithicide:

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Defleshed posted:

A legal sonderkommando

The best part about this analogy is that the sonderkommando were periodically gassed and replaced with a new crop so as to avoid rebelliousness.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus loving christ, if this case doesn't settle I have to go to appellate court.

Think of your resume

-----

From the legal thread:

Hey guys! I got hit by a drunk driver. He said he'd take care of it and I didn't need to call the police! So i got his phone number and let his drunk rear end drive home, because this wasn't a 911 issue.
Now he's claiming he wasn't driving and it wasn't his fault, what should I do lawgoons!

Answer: Get a goddamn time machine and make your dumb rear end call the cops then. :bang:

nm fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 5, 2010

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

CaptainScraps posted:

Appellate work sucks.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mookie posted:

Appellate work sucks.

Especially if you're on contingency.

Plus there's no precedent, so everyone's pulling out these enormous treatises (that say there's no precedent) and throwing poo poo at the wall to see if it sticks.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

hypocrite lecteur posted:

May or may not be considering a job above the arctic circle. Also, suicide.

Off to read about 24 hours of night

There's a job posting in the capital of Nunavut right now but it's during the school year (Jan - April) :smith:
Fyi the mean daily temperature in those months ranges from 5F to -18F, with a record low of -50 and wind chill of -65.

$41/hour is pretty sweet though.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Elotana posted:

Just in dissent from this: The patent litigation workshop I took at UT was taught by two partners from Weil in Houston and it was the most useless class I'd ever taken. They gave zero feedback on our written assignments outside of final grades, and it was completely random on a given week whether in-class exercises would be judged by one dude, the other dude, both dudes, or some hapless co-worker of theirs completely unfamiliar with the course's structure and fact pattern.

I'm sure they were competent attorneys, but they were busy attorneys, and totally incompetent teachers.

Seconding this. Also, make sure it's something practical rather than inherently academic.

I'm taking International Law (because it's required) with adjuncts currently, and while they are more prepared than the ones Elotana had, the big problem is it's a subject that is inherently a course all about pointless omphaloskepsis. I was hoping we'd get some practical insight about cross-border transactions or something but instead it's the same "Sovereignty/Human Rights" that is taught by all the profs. It ends up being a lousy philosophy class instead of a good one.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

There's a job posting in the capital of Nunavut right now but it's during the school year (Jan - April) :smith:
Fyi the mean daily temperature in those months ranges from 5F to -18F, with a record low of -50 and wind chill of -65.

$41/hour is pretty sweet though.

We're almost definitely considering the same position

Oh also, the town is 6000 people big, a majority of people speak something other than English as their first language, and they just got high speed internet and depending where you live you may have to get dialup. Also, perpetual night.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

JudicialRestraints posted:

The best part about this analogy is that the sonderkommando were periodically gassed and replaced with a new crop so as to avoid rebelliousness.

Yeah they've been sending around association wide emails extolling the free donuts in the basement...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

hypocrite lecteur posted:

We're almost definitely considering the same position

Oh also, the town is 6000 people big, a majority of people speak something other than English as their first language, and they just got high speed internet and depending where you live you may have to get dialup. Also, perpetual night.

Yes!!

It's a lovely place though, in its own bleak way. I'm totally considering it for next year but I have a job interview in a couple weeks that might bring me back from the ledge.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

Someone living the dream in wonderful Bethel, AK has been arrested for his involvement in/knowledge of tying up a 19 year old to a table saw and bludgeoning him to death. This raises the question: why tie him to a table saw and bludgeon him to death instead of, oh I don't know, table sawing him to death?

In other news, a job position has just opened up in wonderful Bethel, AK! (Rural stipend included!)

Terrible update on the law clerk who got caught fleeing the state after not saving a tied-up, naked, beaten, 19 year old's life.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
gently caress the 2hr 20min left until my bar results come in is going to be nerve wracking.

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!
The New York State Board of Law Examiners congratulates you on passing the New York State bar examination held on July 27-28, 2010.

IMMA SUE ERRBODY

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Harry Ellis posted:

The New York State Board of Law Examiners congratulates you on passing the New York State bar examination held on July 27-28, 2010.

IMMA SUE ERRBODY

They're already out? I remember my exam results didn't come out until right before Thanksgiving.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Defleshed posted:

Hey don't look at me I am but a cog in the machine. A legal sonderkommando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!

TyChan posted:

They're already out? I remember my exam results didn't come out until right before Thanksgiving.

Yup; just got the email with the pdf and all that good stuff.

My gf took it last year she got an email the day before letting her know they were coming out... no warning this time.