Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackstarum
Apr 18, 2010

Brace posted:

NWN2 looks pretty :sicknasty:, whats the consensus on that one? Also how easy is it to use the editing tool?

I got that game when it first came out. It starts at a country village festival. I instantly thought, "A bad person will attack this village and kill somebody in a way that will require me to leave the village." And that's what happened.

Also, the interface was clunky as hell. And I glitched the game when I went to the festival archery booth because I had a different lead person than the game was expecting me to have, or something.

I quit playing three hours in. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
MOTB is excellent, though, and is worth getting NWN2 for

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

FuriousGeorge posted:

What's happening is that you're enjoying the superiority of turn-based, tactical combat, my friend. :smug:

They really ought to make more that don't suck. Alas, because they used the dumb story of "Temple of Elemental Evil" for the game by same name, they took it as evidence that "turn-based games aren't popular anymore".

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

FuriousGeorge posted:

It uses a rather bastardized version of 3rd edition, modified to make sense in the Infinity Engine (no attacks of opportunity, a lot of feats created specifically for the game, etc).

So there's no such thing as 2.5E?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

So there's no such thing as 2.5E?

No. There's also technically no thing as 2E, either, considering there were about for or five editions of D&D, most of which ran concurrently with AD&D and AD&D2 (but most people would call AD&D 2E and forget to distinguish from AD&D2, so I guess you could call that 2.5).

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 50% off these 4 DotEmu games when bought together, 30% otherwise.

*wonders how much more profit DotEmu will make here than their actual site*

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm really starting to wish they'd stop the 30/50 and so forth discounts.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
To be fair, it does get them some exposure on deal blogs and the like

Awesome its usually the tipping factor that gets me to buy another game off gog that I probably wont even install for months

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Bought The Dot4Emu pack. Mainly for Gobliins. I remember playing one of them back when I was younger. Not really interested into the flying one, but Robinsons Requiem loks interesting. Also went and got Betrayal at Kronfor and Outcast aswell.

gently caress you gog.com. Taking all my money every month :(. I wont even be able to play any of these games for months as I am going through BG1, then 2, and then I have PS:T, TOEE, NWN, and the Icewind Dale series to get through as well. Not enough hours in my life.........

Edit: Oh and Fallout 1 and 2 aswell... Jesus.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
Is this new version of Raptor still crap compared to the old DOS one?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Modian posted:

Is this new version of Raptor still crap compared to the old DOS one?

mouse control is really lovely, but it's good with a gamepad

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
While there are a few posts covered individual games, I can't find a generic one like this:
Before the end of the day, I'm going to buy one of Baulder's Gate, Icewind Dale (1/2), Temple of Elemental Evil or... some poo poo like that. I want one of the D&D dungeoners. I do not know which one.

I've played Planescape, which I found a little too talky, by which I mean I found the amount of text headcrushing and I was mostly uninterested. I don't want a flatout dungeon crawler though. I liked Arcanum a lot, and found that had a good balance between character building, questing and fighting, while still having a depth of cool stuff in there to find. What would people recommend?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Baldur's Gate 2. Absolutely.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
The Baldur's Gate Trilogy is the best of them, but only the first is out for now. The best way to play is with a mod that recreates the first game using the superior engine of the second, so I'd wait until they release the full series and play them like that.

Icewind Dale and the sequel are combat heavy but still have the great environments of the Infinity Engine games, I'd probably recommend one of them if Planescape didn't grab you.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Right, I bought IWD2 - now where in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is muthafuckin' Baldur's Gate 2?!

(Seriously, it's my favourite game of all time - the only other game that comes close is Dragon Age, which is pretty much a fancier BG2 anyway).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

good balance between character building, questing and fighting, while still having a depth of cool stuff in there to find.

You have basically described BG2. Just wait until next week, then buy both it and BG1 and play them in order in BG2's engine.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
Goons have spoken. I will wait to purchase Baulder's Gate 2.

Thanks.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I wouldn't be surprised if BG2 was GOG's ace in the hole for Black Friday.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if BG2 was GOG's ace in the hole for Black Friday.

I'm hoping for a 50% off deal for Black Isle games.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
How is Ishar? Looks reminiscent of Eye of the Beholder

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Goons have spoken. I will wait to purchase Baulder's Gate 2.

Thanks.

I say screw BG2, Icewind Dale 1 is the best Infinity Engine game you can get. It's way more dungeon crawler than BG though, but it has a nice story and npcs, plus I like the implemented AD&D rules better

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So IWD 1 and 2 and TOEE are combat heavy right? Which of the three would be best for someone who just wants a DnD dungeon crawlish experience where I also get to control a full party?

Do any of the NWN expansions cover this terrain? I have only owned NWN1 vanilla, so I missed out on all the expansions. I got NWN2 vanilla and kind of found it boring. :( And the editor didn't seem as friendly to use which is really what killed it for me.

So at this point, I am wavering between getting the NWN1 set, or one of those Infinity games. I already have BG2, and it kind of never really grabbed me, mostly because of the intro level. I kind of just want to have control of a party and fight stuff and adventure a bit.

I found the general gameplay of NWN1 kind of boring when I played it years ago because I kind of didn't get DnD at all and the lack of pretty much everything in vanilla kind of sucked for me, but I fell in love with the editor. So I was wondering if the expansions really do add enough to make it worth it. Or perhaps I should just go with one of the Icewind games or TOEE for better combat? I've never been presented with these choices before! They're so affordable now!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

How is Ishar? Looks reminiscent of Eye of the Beholder

Basically, but harder.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

So IWD 1 and 2 and TOEE are combat heavy right? Which of the three would be best for someone who just wants a DnD dungeon crawlish experience where I also get to control a full party?

Do any of the NWN expansions cover this terrain? I have only owned NWN1 vanilla, so I missed out on all the expansions. I got NWN2 vanilla and kind of found it boring. :( And the editor didn't seem as friendly to use which is really what killed it for me.

So at this point, I am wavering between getting the NWN1 set, or one of those Infinity games. I already have BG2, and it kind of never really grabbed me, mostly because of the intro level. I kind of just want to have control of a party and fight stuff and adventure a bit.

I found the general gameplay of NWN1 kind of boring when I played it years ago because I kind of didn't get DnD at all and the lack of pretty much everything in vanilla kind of sucked for me, but I fell in love with the editor. So I was wondering if the expansions really do add enough to make it worth it. Or perhaps I should just go with one of the Icewind games or TOEE for better combat? I've never been presented with these choices before! They're so affordable now!

It really depends if you want turn-based or real time combat. TOEE is turn-based and runs on the 3.5 ruleset. Both Icewind Dale games are real-time, the first game uses a modified version of 2nd Edition while the second game uses a modified version of the 3.5 Edition ruleset.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

ToastyPotato posted:

The NWN expansions are fun, but if you're looking to control a full party in a big dungeon crawl, they're not for you. I'm pretty sure they stick with the one character and one henchman rule from the original.

IWD or ToEE depends on what kind of combat you like. If you want turn based tactical combat, get ToEE. If you want real time pausable combat, like BG2, get an IWD.

Also, just to clarify, because I've seen it a couple times in this thread, ToEE is not an Infinity Engine game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Ok, I am leaning toward TOEE then. Mostly because I don't really know anything about the older rule sets. Is there any reason I might not want to? Anything inherently wrong with the game that might ruin it for some people? I might eventually get all of them, but for now, I would like something to hold me over until Christmas at least.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Low level DnD is like smashing your face with a brick. ToEE is a large amount of this. IWD is a worryable amount but far less than ToEE.

IWD is probably the most accessible, IWD2 is hard as balls in general, and ToEE is hard as balls because the entire game is basically low level DnD.

IWD2 has the best story arc, then IWD, then ToEE.

IWD has the best writing, then IWD2, then ToEE.

IWD has the coolest dungeons, IWD2 has coolest dungeons by way of ripping off IWD, ToEE is just welp here's a dungeon go for it.

ToEE has the best rule implementation. IWD2 is a bit of a bastard child of strict implementation because of engine limitations. IWD is vaguely DnD related in comparison.

I love IWD the most but there are reasons to choose any of them really.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The low'ish level cap in ToEE kind of put me off at first, but now I don't mind it too terribly.

I really like BG2 because you sail into epic levels, which admittedly has some issues in AD&D so it's give/take either way.

Doesn't IWD1/2 push you near level 20 by the end? Can't remember.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

zedprime posted:

Low level DnD is like smashing your face with a brick. ToEE is a large amount of this. IWD is a worryable amount but far less than ToEE.

Only if you don't like a challenge. Personally, I love low level D&D and tend to lose interest in the late game when I become more of an rear end kicker.

But then again, I play roguelikes.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
IWD 2 > IWD because the fighting and game mechanics are way better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Farquar posted:

Only if you don't like a challenge. Personally, I love low level D&D and tend to lose interest in the late game when I become more of an rear end kicker.

But then again, I play roguelikes.
I'm actually going through ToEE at the moment so I can't complain too much but IWD and IWD2 spend far more time in a sweet spot where your guys can do useful stuff without being able to do so much useful stuff the game loses any challenge.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Basically, but harder.

Jesus I can't even imagine that.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn
I can't believe they finally released IWD2, this is the best news ever (from GOG). I haven't played the game in years, and have had to make do with IWD 1 and BG1&2 which were really starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Any highly recommended mods or party setups for IWD2? I have never installed any mods for it or really done anything especially interesting with the game; all I know is to bring a ranger because at some point I will use his special ability to go through a forest.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Shang Yang posted:

I can't believe they finally released IWD2, this is the best news ever (from GOG). I haven't played the game in years, and have had to make do with IWD 1 and BG1&2 which were really starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Any highly recommended mods or party setups for IWD2? I have never installed any mods for it or really done anything especially interesting with the game; all I know is to bring a ranger because at some point I will use his special ability to go through a forest.

You can always look up the forest path online, or just follow the "use the path with light coming out of it' rule of thumb. It's really not all THAT confusing.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I still think IW2 has one of the best intro battles in CRPG history, it really puts you in the thick of it early on.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Does Icewind Dale 2 need the DirecrDraw fix as well?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Whoa, how long has Robinson's Requiem been available and hiding from me somehow? Ordered that right quick.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

mouse control is really lovely, but it's good with a gamepad

Is it compatible with an X360 gamepad?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
So, who else is waiting for the inevitable D&D sale once BG2 is released?
Because certainly, I can't wait until that is released. (And a weekend sale on all the D&D titles would be very, very nice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luisfe posted:

So, who else is waiting for the inevitable D&D sale once BG2 is released?
Because certainly, I can't wait until that is released. (And a weekend sale on all the D&D titles would be very, very nice)

I'm waiting for a sale as well. Steam has gotten me used to waiting for sales, no matter how long it'll be until they happen.