Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If I wanted a laquered red wood look, how would I go about doing it? Blood red, badab black, gloss coat?

I've never tried to make a red wood look, but to do wood grain I start with Scorched Brown, lay down various browns in stripes to represent the wood grain, and then add a brown wash to mute it all. If you used a 2:1 Baal red:Devlyn mud wash, that should look pretty good, but do a test piece first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Red wood isn't so bad. The trick for me is to start with a deep burgundy color and add thin lines of brown (of various shades) and black. If you find it's too brown, that's fine, because the last step would be to make a thin red and brown ink glaze (or a slush as they are sometimes called) and pull it across, giving you that red hue you wanted and the luster you're after.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Another day, another paint job. Decided to do a commander today.

Edit: And this evening, several sergeants. Just photoed one since I gave them all pretty much the same paint job.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 5, 2010

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Another day, another paint job. Decided to do a commander today.

Edit: And this evening, several sergeants. Just photoed one since I gave them all pretty much the same paint job.

I like the colors for those guys. I think non-camo guard rock, so that might be why. How did you get the stripes so straight?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I love me my GW metallics. Tin bitz, Mithril, Gunmetal, all of that.

But what the gently caress is up with Burnished Gold? I cannot get a drat's worth of coverage with that stuff for all the fighting I can marshall. It just smears and congeals and barely drybrushes worth a drat. I was thinking about covering and washing down from this stuff, but it looks like a nightmare. Is it an anomaly, or is my pot bad or what, because this poo poo doesn't live up to the rest of the line.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Fix posted:

Burnished Gold :argh:

SM47 just gave this a try for her October Oath, actually, and was similarly disappointed. Covered like poo poo, was worse than the VGC metallic that she had been using previously (that this was supposed to replace.)

For gold colors, we're still sticking with Vallejo. They're painful to work with sometimes, but I haven't found better gold colors elsewhere (or in as many different shades.)

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Fix posted:

But what the gently caress is up with Burnished Gold? I cannot get a drat's worth of coverage with that stuff for all the fighting I can marshall. It just smears and congeals and barely drybrushes worth a drat. I was thinking about covering and washing down from this stuff, but it looks like a nightmare. Is it an anomaly, or is my pot bad or what, because this poo poo doesn't live up to the rest of the line.

That's pretty much the way it is. The way I do gold is I put down some scorched brown first and then if I'm feeling ambitious I mix scorched brown and shining gold for the next the layer, then pure shining, and follow that one with the burnished gold.

Pretty much a pain in the rear end.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I've only found burnished when over macharius solar orange to be any good. Even then the coverage is sub par. Gold highlights way better with Mithril anyway.

Sup.

Click here for the full 706x1074 image.

Click here for the full 767x1041 image.

4 Months. Time to get on the oath wagon. The staff probably could have come out a bit better. The second white dots you see on the gems are the light source reflected.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 5, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I use mithril silver and gryphonne sepia. Most of the time with a wash of badab before the sepia.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
@ Red Herring: That's a very nice Eldred. Well done!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The painting is excellent but that sword is stirring up my OCD. Needs to be bent inwards a little bit, twisted and bent swords or staves are a real issue with metals.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 5, 2010

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
The staff is bent a bit too. I didn't notice it until after I painted it, and re-adjusting it will crack the paint. :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Red Herring posted:

I've only found burnished when over macharius solar orange to be any good. Even then the coverage is sub par. Gold highlights way better with Mithril anyway.

Sup.

Click here for the full 706x1074 image.

Click here for the full 767x1041 image.

4 Months. Time to get on the oath wagon. The staff probably could have come out a bit better. The second white dots you see on the gems are the light source reflected.

Didn't you enter this bad boy in this years GD? How did you get on?

edit: VVV to be fair, if I'd painted something to that standard, I'd be terrified of even breathing near it

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Red Herring posted:

The staff is bent a bit too. I didn't notice it until after I painted it, and re-adjusting it will crack the paint. :(

Probably not, you get a fair amount of play before paint starts cracking. It's actually pretty flexible stuff even when it's dry.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey dudes, still have a bunch of new on sprue marines, used 1st ed eldars, etc here for cheap as poo poo:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304041&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Feel free to make me an offer on the eldar as a lot, thats like 17 or so harlequins and I think 10 fire dragons. A nice chunk of points and Ill let it go pretty cheap.

Ive still got basing materials for $3 a bag, and Ive got about 5 plasticard kits left, a few pin vices, etc.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Red wood isn't so bad. The trick for me is to start with a deep burgundy color and add thin lines of brown (of various shades) and black. If you find it's too brown, that's fine, because the last step would be to make a thin red and brown ink glaze (or a slush as they are sometimes called) and pull it across, giving you that red hue you wanted and the luster you're after.

I don't have any inks, actually. Any ideas for the same colouring with just gw washes? The rest of that's great, though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

CaptainPete posted:

I like the colors for those guys. I think non-camo guard rock, so that might be why. How did you get the stripes so straight?

Thanks. Though my friends are calling my army the Cadian Broncos now.

Got the stripes straight just painting it free-hand. Just very carefully pulled the brush in a straight line.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

enri posted:

Didn't you enter this bad boy in this years GD? How did you get on?

edit: VVV to be fair, if I'd painted something to that standard, I'd be terrified of even breathing near it

Yeah, entries for us close next week on the final day. I'll definitely let you guys know how it does.

Cheers for the feedback so far.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

Just finished painting the gold parts on my doomwheel and ended up with burnished gold.

1. 1:1 Scorched Brown and Shining Gold
2. Shade with watered down 1:1 Scorched brown and chaos black
3. Build up with Shining Gold.
4. Build up Burnished Gold.
5. Mithril silver on the edges.

It think it looks nice.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

And filling out the majority of my army, is the 1998 Denver Broncos.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Red Herring posted:

Yeah, entries for us close next week on the final day. I'll definitely let you guys know how it does.

Cheers for the feedback so far.

for some reason I was convinced you'd entered the UK GD :) keep us posted anyways :D

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So my Wave Serpent is Liche Purple with black patterning. What the hell should I paint my weapons? I was considering doing Space Wolves Grey with an Asurmen Blue Wash.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's more progress on the Imperial Fists I've been painting. Here's everything I've done so far except one Marine and a biker that I forgot to get into the frame:

Terminators:

Tactical squad:

My client told me he specifically wanted the Librarian to be in his regular Marine colors, rather than Librarian colors. To offset this, I made sure his sword was distinctive and somewhat mystical looking with a nice green blend:

And his hair, which came out great if you ask me:

I think the sword came out a little too toothpaste colored; should have probably gone from Snot Green to Scorpion Green instead of straight to white. That's like the fourth blend I did on that thing though, and I got frustrated doing it over and over again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

Space Wolves Grey with an Asurmen Blue Wash.

From personal experience, the wash will darken the swg a massive amount. Do the wash over shadow grey then build up to space wolfs, you'll get a smoother transition.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty fukken good idea for a conversion, SRM.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think someone asked you before, but where did you get those resin bases? Invictus somehow ended up shipping me a handful of them in some ebay haul and I have no idea where they came from.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

That's a pretty fukken good idea for a conversion, SRM.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think someone asked you before, but where did you get those resin bases? Invictus somehow ended up shipping me a handful of them in some ebay haul and I have no idea where they came from.

I talked to the guy who I'm painting these for; turns out they're from Back 2 Base-ix or however they spell it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I paint my golds by throwing down a layer of iyanden darksun as a basecoat. Gold, wash and drybrush or highlight until you get what you want.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

I don't have any inks, actually. Any ideas for the same colouring with just gw washes? The rest of that's great, though.

Ogryn Flesh. It's a nice red-brown.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Ogryn Flesh. It's a nice red-brown.

I ended up doing this almost immediately after I posted. :v: It looks pretty nice, though I tossed a thin coat of badab black on top of two coats of ogryn for some deeper shading, because I'm edgy like that.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Master Twig posted:

And filling out the majority of my army, is the 1998 Denver Broncos.

This made me laugh.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

From personal experience, the wash will darken the swg a massive amount. Do the wash over shadow grey then build up to space wolfs, you'll get a smoother transition.

I used it on my rangers and I like the way it turned out. Once I go back and touch it up with SWG again the guns look pretty good.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Which artists here are still accepting commissions right now?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

I used it on my rangers and I like the way it turned out. Once I go back and touch it up with SWG again the guns look pretty good.

Fair enough. Pictures of said Rangers?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Really depends on how much/what you want done.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 7, 2010

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fair enough. Pictures of said Rangers?

They'll come. They're my first finished models and I just need to get them based.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Artists like Discount Bees or commission painters? I'm painting minis for commission but I'm a bit tied up right now with the above Imperial Fists.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Commission painters for a 1250 point Nurgle Chaos army. Anyone interested?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I've actually got some free time coming up, send me the details on what you want done. craigsniffen@craigsniffen.com

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've actually got some free time coming up, send me the details on what you want done. craigsniffen@craigsniffen.com

Did I ever follow up with you on those ogryn?

• Locked thread