Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The alt text for that one is equally hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Suppose this is the " no new strip" part of the cycle where we post favorite strips.

this strip
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112002

Followed by this strip:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12162002

Still cracks me up. Just thinking of that tiny little pantless santa, just twisting as hard as he can.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Johnny Aztec posted:

this strip
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12112002

The alt text :smith:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
"This strip was 23 days late"

e: there were 3 strips in September, which is not that exciting a number but certainly makes the very lonely singleton October strip stand in stark relief.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Maybe Chris is in real mortal peril while we stand here waiting, and in a few days, we'll all receive certificates declaring us "Cowards Who Would Desert A Dying Man."

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe Chris is in real mortal peril while we stand here waiting, and in a few days, we'll all receive certificates declaring us "Cowards Who Would Desert A Dying Man."

:golfclap:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
He seems to have time to update his twitter like 5 times a day...

Twitter is killing Achewood

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

All he needs to do is twitter that he needs help and where he's at and I'm on the road.

Show me the man threatening Chris Onstad, and I'll show you someone about to go on a field trip to Headlock City.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
10/28/03 11/04/10 - Dear Readers: Due to financial mismanagement, we have been forced to sell Achewood off to Japanese interests. It has been a pleasure providing you with comics these last few years. Please enjoy the new strip. -CTO

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10282003

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Johnny Aztec posted:

10/28/03 11/04/10 - Dear Readers: Due to financial mismanagement, we have been forced to sell Achewood off to Japanese interests. It has been a pleasure providing you with comics these last few years. Please enjoy the new strip. -CTO

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10282003

Life is never neat; Life is always bad. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sexual antic all around.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sexual antic all around.

There's something wrong with me, kept trying to mouse-hover to see alt-text.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Cream_Filling posted:

He seems to have time to update his twitter like 5 times a day...

Twitter is killing Achewood

To be fair, 140 characters is easier than a 4-12 panel comic.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dodgeball posted:

To be fair, 140 characters is easier than a 4-12 panel comic.

To be fair, he should just put the comic on hiatus for 6 months or something while we works out whatever he has going on.
I don't even need to know what is going on. just say " hey some bad shits happening, comics shutting down for X months. Thanks for reading."

and maybe give people refunds that still havn't seen in product.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Johnny Aztec posted:

To be fair, he should just put the comic on hiatus for 6 months or something while we works out whatever he has going on.
I don't even need to know what is going on. just say " hey some bad shits happening, comics shutting down for X months. Thanks for reading."

and maybe give people refunds that still havn't seen in product.

Doonesbury was on a 22-month hiatus back in the 80s, and that was with precious physical space on newsprint. Bloom County went on a break while Breathed was in the hospital after an accident, and other print strips have gone on hiatus while retaining readers. But in all cases, there was an explanation, and the attention span of webcomics fan is somewhat more transient than that of a 1980s newspaper reader.

The Achewood slowdown actually inspired me to finally start using an RSS reader, since it was frustrating to open a bunch of tabs every day that either updated several times a day or a few times a month.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

benito posted:

But in all cases, there was an explanation,

This is what's bugging me. I'd be even more pissed if I subscribed to the fanflow.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is what's bugging me. I'd be even more pissed if I subscribed to the fanflow.

I've let me subscription lapse, but if it starts updating again (the RSS feed works whether you're subscribed or not) then I'll start it back up again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

benito posted:

Doonesbury was on a 22-month hiatus back in the 80s, and that was with precious physical space on newsprint. Bloom County went on a break while Breathed was in the hospital after an accident, and other print strips have gone on hiatus while retaining readers. But in all cases, there was an explanation, and the attention span of webcomics fan is somewhat more transient than that of a 1980s newspaper reader.

The Achewood slowdown actually inspired me to finally start using an RSS reader, since it was frustrating to open a bunch of tabs every day that either updated several times a day or a few times a month.

Well, it also doesn't help at all that Achewood's been slowing down the release schedule for a long time. If you have regular, frequent updates, I think people are more likely to want to come back after a hiatus. Instead, it feels like Achewood's just kind of sputtered to a halt. Mr. Onstad needs to call Gary again.

(Heh, I remember that on the day that strip came out, the image wouldn't load, so all I could get was the alt-text of "Gary is the man who can fix the Achewood machine. I have him on my phone." and I thought "oh, the website's broken, Gary must be the webmaster or something.")

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11052010

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
This is just... goddamn. There Are No Words.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Whelp that's November's strip. See you guys in December.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Remember how Chris is Teodor?

Strips like this make me wonder.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Deathlove posted:

We had a 70-degree day on Wednesday here in Stumptown, I shudder to think what he'll come up with once the rain really begins in earnest tomorrow...

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Seems to me like Onstad just doesn't want to finish that story arc. Not exactly painting himself into a corner, but just painting himself into a place that's not worth finishing.

I mean he's starting up a new thing with David Lynch, but the past 7 story related strips have focused on everything but the Teodor thing

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.

poor and weird posted:

Seems to me like Onstad just doesn't want to finish that story arc. Not exactly painting himself into a corner, but just painting himself into a place that's not worth finishing.

I mean he's starting up a new thing with David Lynch, but the past 7 story related strips have focused on everything but the Teodor thing
I would be perfectly happy if we were just instantly done with that whole arc

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, I'd be fine with that. Still kind of awkward that it's gonna be there after the fact, even in a "and now we'll never speak of it again" way.

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.
hey by the way, how did you become forums cancer?

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
LF. :( Oh well. You play the game, you get the shame I guess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Chris has been stuck in the back of a van sucking an old man's cock for half a year?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I still want my Devil-Banjo, Moby-Paper Store-fantasies storyline to resolve. :colbert:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Achewood has lately begun to read like one of those 'lost episode of a tv show' stories where everyone gets really loving sad and things start moving from that awkward 'haha..hah..ha..hm..' to a genuine concern for the person writing the comic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know, eh. He needs to go back to writing 3-panel jokes that are funny and not trying these huge arcs that are sorta funny and sorta pointless at the same time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, if this is the quality of comics we get at this update schedule, then bring on the one-comic-a-month regime! :haw:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Oh hey, a new Achewood!

...oh. :smith:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Nice art, good jokes, a depressed cat - this is some good Achewood! Ken's note in particular had me laughing.

"i don't know what will happen to you"

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Proof of Life!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
And a Fanflow update! Almost as depressing as the main comic!

:ohdear:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Woah, look at the potbelly going on Beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I don't know what you guys are on about. This current arc is loving great. I just hate that it's going on for half a loving year.