Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Curse me for getting a deal on the jacket, though. :v:

You might not have to provide your purchase price, they should pay you market rate for your gear--find the most expensive listing of the jacket at a reputable site and don't submit your receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ohwandernearer posted:

You might not have to provide your purchase price, they should pay you market rate for your gear--find the most expensive listing of the jacket at a reputable site and don't submit your receipt.

Ok, I'll try that. They don't even make the jacket anymore, I'll just look for a similar one I guess.

E: Or just google shop it, duh.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 5, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Please stop crashing CA

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Yeah, get your poo poo together California

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sirbeefalot posted:

I was sideswiped on the 10 East in LA yesterday, around 4:45 pm, right before the National Blvd exit. I was splitting in the right side of the #3 lane, and a silver Pontiac Sunfire came either from the left side of the #3, or from the #2 (I didn't even see the car until I was watching my arm take her passenger mirror off), and tried to get into the #4 lane via me. I closed my eyes immediately after getting hit in the left side, but I think I was tossed off the bike and hit on my right shoulder/forearm, then rolled and slid a little bit. There was zero opportunity to try and control the bike, which is why I think I was hit hard enough to be thrown right away. I was going 40-45, traffic was going 35-40.

A good tip whilst lane-splitting is not to watch for wheels turning or indicators coming on, but to watch drivers' heads. Even complete muppets will turn the head a little when they're going to change lanes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was originally admonishing sirbeefalot in my head for lane splitting at such a high speed, then I looked up CA law. Anywhere I've been that lane splitting was allowed, it was at low speeds. California, on the other hand, has no real restrictions it seems.

Good legally, but still dangerous. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it over 25 or 30 because I ride a motorcycle and I know how little attention people pay.

That said, I'm glad it sounds like it will work out for you!

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I don't think speed matters, but rather speed differential. As long as you're only going 5-10mph above traffic there should be no issue.

Also, where have you been that only permits filtering at low speed? Not in the US, right?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A good tip whilst lane-splitting is not to watch for wheels turning or indicators coming on, but to watch drivers' heads. Even complete muppets will turn the head a little when they're going to change lanes.

Definitely, and I do this. I didn't see her car (or I don't remember seeing it) until the point of impact, which was surprising because I am constantly marking cars anywhere near my path of travel that have a chance to interfere with me. She was either blocked from my view by another car, or came from another lane entirely. I'm pretty sure for her statement she said she was traveling straight in the lane she hit me from, so its possible there was just a larger car behind her. People like to drive about 3 feet apart in LA, so that's not completely impossible.

And on the speed, that's definitely the upper end of what I normally will split at. I'm pretty sure the "unwritten" rule is not to split with a differential higher than 15 mph, and not to split when traffic is faster than 45 mph. The differential is important, but you really open yourself up to much more risk the faster everyone is going. I see people split on my morning commute going 90-95 mph when the traffic is cruising at 70, and it makes my balls jump into my throat.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sounds like you were just poo poo outta luck this time dude :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Synonamess Botch posted:

I don't think speed matters, but rather speed differential. As long as you're only going 5-10mph above traffic there should be no issue.

Also, where have you been that only permits filtering at low speed? Not in the US, right?

I tried to think of it, then realized that it was probably related to me anecdotally and when I went to look up places I'd been that allowed it (Cali, the UK, France, maybe the dutch or germans? not sure) none of them seemed to have that as part of the law, mostly just no more than X over traffic.

So I guess it was just some bullshit I've believed for a while. Thanks.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

I tried to think of it, then realized that it was probably related to me anecdotally and when I went to look up places I'd been that allowed it (Cali, the UK, France, maybe the dutch or germans? not sure) none of them seemed to have that as part of the law, mostly just no more than X over traffic.

So I guess it was just some bullshit I've believed for a while. Thanks.

As I recall California used to limit lane splitting speed to 25mph or so. The CHP supposedly pushed for that limit to be removed. This is anecdotal though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

OrangeFurious posted:

As I recall California used to limit lane splitting speed to 25mph or so. The CHP supposedly pushed for that limit to be removed. This is anecdotal though.
When I lived in California (1968-1991), the law read that you were allowed to split no more than 5 MPH than prevailing traffic, up to a maximum of 25 MPH.
I was surprised to learn last year (when I was reading up on California Motorcycle Laws prior to a visit to Santa Barbara) that the law had changed, and that the limit had been removed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
When I got my license in 04(?) the law was not faster than 45mph, not at a differential of more than 15mph, and not on single lane roads. Sometime around 06 or 07, it changed to "lane sharing is not recommended but legal when done in a safe and prudent fashion".

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Isn't the whole point of splitting to get through slow-moving traffic (and free up the space you'd be otherwise using to help reduce congestion for everyone else)? It seems like splitting in 50mph traffic would just be showing off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah the diminishing returns on lanesplitting means anything much over 30mph is just doing it cause you can.

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
Jack the Smack update:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351601

Never change, man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I just posted that in the chat thread as I figured it'd get off topic fast. I mean, come on, there's not a lot of positive to come when he wheelies a drunk chick off the back of a bike.

Someone should grab the pics an posts for history's sake though.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Inertiatic posted:

Jack the Smack update:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351601

Never change, man.

what a loving idiot

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It's funny, when I was first thinking about taking my MSF, I read all the way through several threads here as research. I remember seeing JTS's posts and being completely unsure if he was just being sarcastic, or if he's really that much of an idiot. It just didn't seem possible that somebody could be posting in a forum with so much good advice, and yet be the antithesis to every single bit of it.

I'm glad the girl wasn't hurt badly.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Low water crossings suck.

TsavenNava and I go out for a nice leisurely cruise through the Hill Country (me two up with my wife, him two up with a lady friend of his), and I wind up dropping my bike in front of him.

Yeah, I'm smooth like that.

We were heading west on Fitzhough Road / Pedernales Falls Road, when we came to this http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...014269&t=h&z=16

I've been through low water crossings before on the ST, and it's never been a big deal. There was a pickup truck that we had just watched go through the water, so we could tell it wasn't too deep and wasn't moving very fast. I slowed the ST down, and was rolling in first at maybe 5 miles an hour with the throttle ever so slightly cracked.

We got almost all the way through the running water when I felt the rear of the bike start sliding to the left. I kept my head up and throttle input the same, hoping to ride it out. Unfortunately, the rear tire fishtailed the other direction, and instead of making it through, the bike just sort of... fell over on its left side and spun 180* in the middle of the bridge.

Tsaven was about 5 - 8 lengths behind me and right about the time my bike is spinning around on the ground, he was hitting the slickest part of what put me down. He managed to not drop the Strom, and to not run us over, yay!

My wife bumped her elbows on the ground when she slid off her seat, but it's nothing serious. Her still healing broken arm is fine, and she only has a small red mark from where the pad in the jacket rubbed on her skin. I dragged my knee and lower left leg on the ground, no marks though, just some dirt on my overpants and my gloves got wet. I did bang my right leg into the side of the bike, but I just have a small bruise there, nothing serious.

The bike laughed it off. Since it skidded on the front tip over wing and rear crash bar, there was no damage to the bike at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Someone should grab the pics an posts for history's sake though.

Ask and ye shall receive.

JTS - How To Lose Your Girl In 10 Seconds:

Jack The Smack posted:

At around 3AM on Wednesday night my passenger, 130lbs I guess (she wont tell me her weight) fell off the back of my bike at 75mph. It was a dark, deserted straight road luckily. Alcohol was involved; she had drank a few beers and was still tipsy. I was sober after having a beer a few hours ago.

There was another 2up rider in front of me who we were riding with. The accident happened when I double tapped her leg to indicate I was going fast (we've done wheelies and gone extremely fast dozens of times with this method). Normally my passengers have their hands on the tank and squeeze with their elbows to stay on, but when I tap their leg they hold on to me really tight with their hands. I tucked forward and WOTed it for a few seconds (going 40mph to 95mph) before slowing down for around 3 seconds to 75mph and to compress the front suspension.

When I slowed down she put her hands on the tank, but I was still tucked in. With my heavy leather jacket I can't tell if the passenger's hands are on the tank or on me. When I jerked the throttle, to wheelie up, she was thrown off the back while we were going 75mph. The 2up friends that I passed said she slid on her rear end before tumbling around 100 feet. This wasn't a freeway and it was in the middle of the night so we were able to make a U-turn on the one way road, move her to the side, and call a friend to drive her to a friends house.

The next day we took her to General Hospital after trying to treat her road rash at home (she didn't show me till the next day how bad it was, since it was on her rear end, at which point I forced her to go). All she had was bad road rash on her rear end and right palm (the worst). She had some minor road rash on her elbow, legs, and back. No other injuries. The only gear she was wearing was a helmet, and maybe the leather Giants jacket helped a little.

I know I am 100% responsible for her injuries. I just wanted people to see this and know that if 1 of these factors was changed (she said she could have held on if she wasn't tipsy, if I gave her a second warning tap after slowing down, etc) everyone would have gone home safe.

The gut wrenching feeling I had for the first few hours after she fell was the worst in my life. And I admit I cried: when I was riding to the apartment house where she was going to stay the night, and later when she was screaming in pain while in the bathroom trying to clean herself and her friend was applying bandages.

Also, because this thread is useless without pics:

And the followup:

Jack The Smack posted:

To clarify some things, she and I are the only ones that drive aggressively. She enjoys doing wheelies and high speed. I choose the safest spots to do things (empty road at night was a good place, not a good anything else). I failed to consider alcohol and proper warning before doing it that time. If it were any other person who I didn't have experience with I wouldn't be doing illegal and dangerous stunts. This doesn't excuse my responsibiliy, but I don't wanna appear like I'm taking her for a ride she doesn't want.

The day after the crash I was talking to her about riding in the future and she says she cant wait to hop back on my bike after she is healed up enough.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 8, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If that hand rash had been just an inch or two lower, he'd at least have done her the service of removing those horrible tattoos.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

If that hand rash had been just an inch or two lower, he'd at least have done her the service of removing those horrible tattoos.

Was thinking that myself, but didn't want to be the one to say it. Thanks :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

Low water crossings suck.

I just want to chime in and say that this concret was SLICK AS ICE. I mean, I know people make that analogy all the time, but it was no exaggeration here. Once we got the bike picked up and I was poking around, with just a few strides of a running start I could slide across the pavement easily. I think it was a combination of the cement being polished smooth by the water, and alge growth that combined to make it one of the slippriest things I've EVER had to try and ride on.

I was only milliseconds away from dumping my Wee-Strom avoiding Raven. I really have no idea how I kept it upright, I was sliding around all over the place.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

What do you have against Wingdings?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Crashed tonight. Saw frost on my car's windshield. Don't know why I ignored it.

Gave my triumph too much gas as I came out of a right turn on to a main drag. Went sideways for a few feet and then the bike went over. Fairing damage. Shifter and rider/passenger pegs ripped off. Left handlebar bent. Rideable. Took it home in first gear.

Helmet seems reuseable. No lost time.
Still annoying.

nothing more embarassing than a sub 20 mph throttle mistake.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Embarrassing maybe but at least you came out alright, it would be way more embarrassing if that landed you in the hospital.

I've only hit the ground once and it was at 0 speed so it's the same kind of thing. I locked up the rear brake when i was new to riding on some leaves at a stop sign, and the bike came to a stop with the rear wheel a foot or two to the left of the front. The bike just tipped and hurt my pride and brake levers.

That's always better than tipping the bike and breaking a leg or something, hah.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Crashed tonight. Saw frost on my car's windshield. Don't know why I ignored it.

Went sideways for a few feet and then the bike went over.

If you had a supermoto you could have weighted the outside peg, gassed it, and completed the drift and then pretend it was intentional. :colbert:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Riding in the snow is fine as long as you accept that you're going to crash a lot. It's a real beast and even when you get used to it you'll still probably dump it all the time. Personally I've only done it with street bikes. But a couple of my uncles-in-law who used to be motocross racers, they say it's not much easier with a dirt bike. Then again they would all be drunk and high or whatever so I dunno.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

If you had a supermoto you could have weighted the outside peg, gassed it, and completed the drift and then pretend it was intentional. :colbert:

This happens to me on my KTM. Wet road paint, wet leaves, spilled oils (we have a LOT of that), frosty roads: You're accelerating out of a turn or pulling out from a side road and suddenly the bike's sideways. You keep the throttle steady and before you have time to leave a stain in your skivvies everything just rights itself.

Supermotos are so good they make you cooler by accident.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I was going down my favorite twisty this evening, when all of the sudden I felt my back wheel slipping out. It wasn't quite cold enough for ice, so I was confused and slowed down a bit to figure it out. Everything seemed fine so I figured I hit an oil patch or something (pretty dark out so I couldn't see much), and I proceeded on into the next one. As soon as I do so, the exact same thing happened and next thing I know I'm on the ground.

Thankfully I wasn't going fast since I noticed it before, and not even a scratch on me or my gear. The bike is pretty much fine, with just some scrapes on the grips and pipe, and the clutch peg popped off. It was in 2nd, so I managed to just ride it home that way without changing gears at all.

Turns out there was a giant slick of oil all over the road. I'll have to take a different route to and from work to give that time to wash away, I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Good job on slowing down and trying to figure out what was going on, and reducing the damage as a result :) Everything going to be easy enough to repair?

It also might be worth reporting it to caltrans or what have you in your area if you have one.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, the only thing that I really need to do is replace the clutch peg and maybe one of the mirrors. I can't seem to find replacement clutch pegs online, but I can just take it to the dealer this weekend, since it's still pretty much rideable.

I'm certainly glad I slowed down, although I wish I'd taken it more seriously and actually checked the ground better for the source of the problem. Also of course I'm sure a more seasoned rider could have managed to keep the rubber side down despite the oil slick, but at least now I'm a little more prepared for that situation.

If I feel the back popping out to the side like that, what's the correct response? I'd think I should give it some throttle to straighten out, but if the rear loses traction then suddenly regains it, that can cause a high-side, right?

I'm also lucky that a car behind me happened to also stop and help me pick the bike up, and even followed me a couple blocks to make sure I was ok. I rode the whole way home super slow, because I couldn't shake the feeling that I still wasn't getting proper traction. Could have just been my imagination from being shaken up, or there could have been some oil still left on my tires.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think what normally happens is the rear starts to slip out and then you...

fall. At least I do. But at least you minimized it, which is all you can do in your situation.

That super curved lever isn't the first.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

If the back starts sliding, turn into the slide, let the bike slip under you, get on the outside edge of the seat, and ride it out.

More throttle will not make it straighten out, more throttle just reduces the traction budget and makes you slip more. Spend some time skidding the back tire on a bicycle to understand. Try skid turns on a steep hill for advanced level practice. It's easier than it sounds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just avoid abrupt movements and let the bike do it's thing, you'll be fine.
By the way, riding a supersport in dirt is loving awesome.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Just avoid abrupt movements and let the bike do it's thing, you'll be fine.
By the way, riding a supersport in dirt is loving awesome.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?88535-fernley-vet-national-and-GP-pics

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

SlightlyMadman posted:

If I feel the back popping out to the side like that, what's the correct response? I'd think I should give it some throttle to straighten out, but if the rear loses traction then suddenly regains it, that can cause a high-side, right?
Don't give it throttle, just be smooth and keep doing what you're doing -- it will usually hook back up after a short time. If the rear is spinning then it is struggling to grip the ground, giving it gas and making the tire spin after will just make it harder to regain traction. The most important thing to remember is that just because the bike is sliding it doesn't mean you are going to crash. You can ride out slides Just DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T chop the throttle. Just need to have faith in the bike, remember, the bikes are capable of way more than most of us will ever be able to utilize :).

Sometimes there's just not a whole lot you can do though, especially when outside factors like oil, gravel, sand, ice, etc are involved. If you haven't read it, Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II is really great for explaining what you should do in a potential crash situation, and more importantly, what you should avoid doing.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm certainly glad I slowed down, although I wish I'd taken it more seriously and actually checked the ground better for the source of the problem. Also of course I'm sure a more seasoned rider could have managed to keep the rubber side down despite the oil slick, but at least now I'm a little more prepared for that situation.

you wrecked her already? :-(

Glad you are ok, though. Where did this giant oil slick happen? I'd like to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

ohwandernearer posted:

you wrecked her already? :-(

Glad you are ok, though. Where did this giant oil slick happen? I'd like to avoid it.

Nah, she's fine, just has some matching scuff marks on the other side to make things symmetrical ;)

It's on San Martin, right on the fun bit. Big streak going right down the middle of the Northbound lane. Hopefully we'll get some rain soon or something to wash it away.

• Locked thread