Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I can't believe people wait for gog sales. They are already TEN FREAKING DOLLARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
^^^ $5 is my sweet spot for old games. $10 feels like a rip, I wait on those to go on sale. I'll take a sale on the $5 games too tho =P See, it's like, you know it's gonna happen, so why not just wait a bit? The game ain't going anywhere =D ^^^

Woo, I'll take a buck eighteen off of Raptor, thank you very much. Been waiting for that to hit some sort of a sale, 30% will do me. I <3 Raptor. I'm waiting on some of these Infinity Engine games to go on sale before I buy them.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Some of you guys are really poor. Waiting for a game to be a dollar less before buying? :lol:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Some of you guys are really poor. Waiting for a game to be a dollar less before buying? :lol:

Nah, we're just cheapasses.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I bought IWD2 and PS:T on release day practically, but if the rest of the D&D games get a 30% off soonish I'll grab 'em all as well. TOEE is the only one I haven't played, but I'd love to revisit the rest/have all of them in my collection.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

TOEE is my favorite computer implementation of a D&D rule set. I love how much control you have over party creation and combat. Anyone playing should use the Circle of Eight mod which has a huge amount of bug fixes. It can also add new content and raise the level cap.
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
IwD2 doesn't support OpenGL or Hardware Accelerated graphics at all. It really sucks. It looks a fair bit shitter than HoW because of that.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Charlie Mopps posted:

Or maybe we don't have the time to play the games but if the games go on sale it'll tempt us too much to buy them?

VVV Zimbabwe??

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 6, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

Or maybe we live in countries where :10bux: is a lot of goddamn money?

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Ansob. posted:

Or maybe we live in countries where :10bux: is a lot of goddamn money?

Where the gently caress do you live?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Where the gently caress do you live?

Australia. drat Kangaroos eat all the money.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Except one Aus Funbuck is nearly $1USD.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The Aussie dollar's actually worth more than the US at the moment :australia:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I live in Australia and $10 is not a lot of money.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Minimum hospitality wage in Australia is $19.48/hour, in the states it's like $4. Buy a drat game :argh:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nanpa posted:

Except one Aus Funbuck is nearly $1USD.

It's over 1 USD now actually :smug:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=1.00&From=AUD&To=USD

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I got IWD and I'm wondering how I access the Trials of the Luremaster content?

Also, what's the Adventure Pack for IWD2?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Evfedu posted:

I got IWD and I'm wondering how I access the Trials of the Luremaster content?

Also, what's the Adventure Pack for IWD2?

If I recall, there's a NPC on town somewhere that will teleport you over

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

If I recall, there's a NPC on town somewhere that will teleport you over

There's an NPC for Heart of Winter, there's a door for Trials of the Luremaster. Both in Kuldahar.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I wait for sales on GOG because I've already got a lot of games I could be playing and so I've got enough to keep me until any title I want eventually does go on sale.

I'm especially waiting for a sale on the D&D games because I already own all of them so even if I did want to play one of them right now I could do so.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
My approach on GOG games:

If it's a game I know for an absolute fact that I will like (one I've always been meaning to play, one I used to own but have lost for whatever reason, reasons like that) = I'll buy it right away

If it's one where I'm not sure if I'll like it or not, but I'm interested enough to consider = Wait for a sale

I know it's completely irrational, but I hate the idea of paying full price for a game that I later end up loathing.. but if it's on sale, even if it's just a buck or two, that makes it a little less of a "risk" in my mind. "Hey, that game kinda sucked, but at least I didn't pay full price for it", you know?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Half of the fun of GOG is seeing a game you sorta want, putting it in your wishlist, then pouncing on it like a ninja when it goes on sale for $1.32 off.

Then, smugly gazing at it on your bookshelf and never thinking of it again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

closeted republican posted:

Is it compatible with an X360 gamepad?

yes, that's what I use

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Mug posted:

There's an NPC for Heart of Winter, there's a door for Trials of the Luremaster. Both in Kuldahar.

What? You get to ToL by talking to the halfling in the Lonelywood inn(inside HoW), not through any door.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

doctorfrog posted:

I really like having a shelf filled with classics I don't play. Whatever computer I have, wherever I am, for the rest of time I can get me some Arcanum. Feels good man.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TJO posted:

I really like having a shelf filled with classics I don't play. Whatever computer I have, wherever I am, for the rest of time I can get me some Arcanum. Feels good man.

"THAT'S NOT HOW GOG.COM WORKS!!!!!" Morbo, backer up of classic games

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Also what is Ishtar or that Robinson thing, those any good?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I've been a member of GOG since long before beta ended, and I still don't have my copy of Jagged Alliance.

You've made a powerful enemy, GOG...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

AxeManiac posted:

the Robinson stuff is Robinson's Requem and Deus, hard as hell survival sims. Supposedly very good, but I dunno, haven't tried them.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AxeManiac posted:

I tried them years ago (many, many years) and couldn't get into them. I don't know how they've aged, but I can't imagine it'll be worth my time to try.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

AxeManiac posted:

Ishtar is one of the very earliest pseudo-3d european style rpgs. I remember playing it as a kid on the amiga and it not really going anywhere and being pretty cryptic and dense to get into.

As for Robinson, take a look at this: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Robinson/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AxeManiac posted:

All I remember of Robinson is something from the old Slowbeef LP for Super Metroid. He kept cutting away to the game. The game allows you to saw off your own limbs if you so desire!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mithaldu posted:

As for Robinson, take a look at this: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Robinson/

Ok, in spite of looking like crap, and probably being hard as balls, this is really making me want to buy RR.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Half of the fun of GOG is seeing a game you sorta want, putting it in your wishlist, then pouncing on it like a ninja when it goes on sale for $1.32 off.

I want to go back in time and tell the early-90's version of myself that in 2010 I keep my games on a virtual bookshelf on The Internet just to totally mislead him (me).
The time travel part sounds pretty basic once I get around to it, but I can't decide what to wear.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rirse posted:

All I remember of Robinson is something from the old Slowbeef LP for Super Metroid. He kept cutting away to the game. The game allows you to saw off your own limbs if you so desire!

That sounds cool, but it looks like the game would murder me, more so with the old timey interface and design. I'd never be able to get anything done.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Koskinator posted:

What? You get to ToL by talking to the halfling in the Lonelywood inn(inside HoW), not through any door.

I was way off, sorry it's been years.

Mug fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 7, 2010

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Does anyone have any experience with the Earthworm Jim 1&2 pc games? I had the second game for snes when I was growing up and loved it. How does this compare to the various console ports as far as sound, graphics and gameplay are concerned?

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Earthworm Jim 1&2 pc games? I had the second game for snes when I was growing up and loved it. How does this compare to the various console ports as far as sound, graphics and gameplay are concerned?

The sound is not that much better and overall it has the feel of a Console game that was pushed over to the PC. Would I recommend it? Probably not if you have a PS3 and can get the HD version (is this out for the 360?) but.. really its not that bad and I have no issues running it on Win 7.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Nthman posted:

The sound is not that much better and overall it has the feel of a Console game that was pushed over to the PC. Would I recommend it? Probably not if you have a PS3 and can get the HD version (is this out for the 360?) but.. really its not that bad and I have no issues running it on Win 7.

PC version is missing the maggot level. I was sad when I found this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I got the Earthworm Jim 1&2 pack on sale, and for two games it's worth it. They're fine ports except for not being the DEFINITIVE versions (which I guess would be the Sega CD/later PC release of the first, and the Saturn version of 2) that include one or two extra levels. Having played them originally on the SNES I didn't know/care about all that jazz anyway.

And of course, the GOG pack also comes with quite a bit of extra junk, including the soundtracks.