Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breaks
May 12, 2001

Vector 7 posted:

What I was wondering was if there might be some kind of crazy way to export the file as some kind of floating 32 bit format, and dither it down in such a way that it exploits the higher resolution. If someone could type of a good post on why this is absurd, I'd appreciate it.

Now that it's not 3am... There's nothing about the greater bit depth to exploit except for a greater dynamic range, and 24bit audio already provides more dynamic range than any existing converter can utilize. Don't think of bit depth in terms of resolution. As long as proper dithering is occurring the only difference is noise floor. Proper dithering is usually taken care of for you.

People never seem to believe that the only difference is noise, so you can set up the following in Ableton: drumloop on track A, sends only, white noise into a highpass filter at ~10k on track B, also sends only. Adjust faders so that your drumloop and noise peak near 0db. Put a redux on the send, turn on the bitcrusher part and set it to 2 bits, make sure the downsampling part is off (set to "1" which it should be by default). Max the send on the drumloop, confirm that it is really hosed up, and then start raising the send on the noise. I say set it up on a send because then you can duplicate the tracks, set the dupes to master, and send the two pairs to different sides of the xfader for easy comparison if you want.

Anyway, I think you will be impressed with how well your drum loop holds up when it's being quantized to one of 4 possible values.

As far as the track you linked, the bass and kick are both plenty subby but the bass doesn't sound like more than one patch to me, just a big clean bass. That's mostly in the mixing rather than the sound itself. Try stuff like sine, tri, heavily lowpassed saw or square. I like a lowpassed square with a triangle an octave above, which gives you a filtered saw-ish sound with control over the odd harmonics via tri amp. You could do similar with two tri or two filtered pulse. A bit of saturation with any of the above... Just keep it simple and keep other stuff out of the way of it (and vice versa) in the mix.

breaks fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Thanks for the clear explanation, I appreciate your help! Sometimes I over think stuff, and this seems to be one of those times, haha.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
So here's an electro track I was working on... I think I got the mixing and mastering down a lot better than I have before as this came out a lot cleaner and more clear. Still having some trouble with arrangement in general, as you will be able to tell it gets a little repetitive. But any advice or criticism would be great!

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/felix-cartal-love-the-vandal-squad-remix

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

GbrushTwood posted:

So here's an electro track I was working on... I think I got the mixing and mastering down a lot better than I have before as this came out a lot cleaner and more clear. Still having some trouble with arrangement in general, as you will be able to tell it gets a little repetitive. But any advice or criticism would be great!

http://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/felix-cartal-love-the-vandal-squad-remix

Pretty good man, I'm diggin it! If I could give you some advice I'd say just shorten up some of the parts which will make the song as a whole song shorter. But it's really up to you.. if your going for something longer and drawn out its perfect how it is.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
I just can't grasp the common progressions and whatnot for electohouse basslines. I'm a biiiit used to proggy stuff, which I write well, but when I try to apply the same principles....it just ends up sounding proggy :/

Edit : Automation. Been loving around. Seems like that plays a big part.

Shes In Parties fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 5, 2010

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

New limiter from FabFilter. I'm going to try out the demo tomorrow.

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Something silly i made recently with a red alert 2 sample..
http://soundcloud.com/garden-dog/2000volts

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Here's something unf-unfy I've been working on lately.

Still need to make a better transition to the 2nd chorus and a proper in and outro. So far I had a lot of fun making it though :) Done entirely in Reason 4.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 6, 2010

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

"Composition for Computer Musicians" by Michaael Hewitt is a great book, it's helped me out with some stuff I never quite understood. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone starting out in electronic music, absolutely.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Vector 7 posted:

New limiter from FabFilter. I'm going to try out the demo tomorrow.

Nice, I love FabFilter's stuff.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Not sure where exactly to post this but I figure people in this thread might know something- anyway long story short last night my roommate got drunk and spilled water on my APC40. So far I've simply followed standard procedure for wet electronics and unplugged it, I tried to get as much moisture off with a paper towel as I could. My plan now is just to let it dry for a few days and hope the water didn't get to too many important bits, is there anything else I should be doing?

Jazz Cigarettes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 7, 2010

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Jazz Cigarettes posted:

Not sure where exactly to post this but I figure people in this thread might know something- anyway long story short last night my roommate got drunk and spilled water on my APC40. So far I've simply followed standard procedure for wet electronics and unplugged it, I tried to get as much moisture off with a paper towel as I could. My plan now is just to let it dry for a few days and hope the water to get to too many important bits, is there anything else I should be doing?
Ouch. That really sucks. I think the biggest problem is everything metal oxidizing. Maybe take it apart and dry the inside?

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Jazz Cigarettes posted:

Not sure where exactly to post this but I figure people in this thread might know something- anyway long story short last night my roommate got drunk and spilled water on my APC40. So far I've simply followed standard procedure for wet electronics and unplugged it, I tried to get as much moisture off with a paper towel as I could. My plan now is just to let it dry for a few days and hope the water didn't get to too many important bits, is there anything else I should be doing?

If you can get your hands on a crapload of those little silica packets they put in products (you know, the ones that say "DESSICANT - DO NOT EAT") and tuck them in on the inside, or even around it, they can really help get little bits of moisture out. Ideally, you'd put the APC inside an airtight container with a bunch of the packets, but given the size it'd be hard to get it in such a container. Maybe putting it in a garbage bag and tying it shut with some of the packets inside, it can help.

I had one of my hearing aids go through a washing machine, came out completely dead, and then I left it in a ziploc bag with about 4 packets and it managed to save it after a week. Amazing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Alternatively, consider murdering your roommate and selling his kidneys to fund the purchase of a new APC40.

Seriously, make the douche pay for it from his own pocket if he hosed up your poo poo.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Uncooked rice works like the silica packets as well. I'm not positive about an APC40 but friends of mine have saved mp3 players and cell phones by leaving them covered in rice for a few days

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Pretty epic song I just made with a guitarist friend of mine.

http://soundcloud.com/irpat/the-last-temptation-of-glitch

Critiquing is welcome.. and encouraged! Keep in mind this was all recorded roughly and has not really been mastered yet (as far as levels go)

Apple Pyro
Feb 1, 2010

I r Pat posted:

Pretty epic song I just made with a guitarist friend of mine.

http://soundcloud.com/irpat/the-last-temptation-of-glitch

Critiquing is welcome.. and encouraged! Keep in mind this was all recorded roughly and has not really been mastered yet (as far as levels go)

I hear NI Massive Brutal Electro preset in there, pretty good though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Question for all you KP3 users out there - I figured this would be the most ideal place to ask.

I just bought a used KP3 from a local music store. I love it to death, but I have a feeling there's something wrong with one of its functions. No matter what effect I apply, there's a delay tail on it after I take my finger off the pad - now I understand this is supposed to be a function of the 'FX Release' slider, right? But it doesn't seem to change in length at all when I move the slider, and I can't make it go away. Is my FX Release busted, or is this normal behaviour for a KP3? Thanks in advance!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Are you hitting the right button (I think it's shift) when you move the slider? If not you're setting the volume of the samples, not the release...

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!
And a related question: Anyone used the Kaossilator Pro? Is it worth it at $360 $400? I have little to no experience with piano, and this looks really fun and easy to integrate into my band projects.

I am considering it, but I also could just get a 3-octave midi keyboard and reason/ableton/cubase/logic for a lot less.

AJzer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 8, 2010

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

glitchkrieg posted:

Are you hitting the right button (I think it's shift) when you move the slider? If not you're setting the volume of the samples, not the release...

:O

You, sir, just saved me a trip to Long & McQuade. Thanks! It seems to me that FX Release SHOULD be the default parameter, but I've never been the type to complain about having to "press one for English", either.

I'd also like to hear some opinions about the Kaossilator Pro, as I'm thinking of getting one. I also have little experience with the piano, and scales aren't exactly my strong point - would a tool like that be a big improvement to the ability to write melodies?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
A bit out of the realm of this thread but I don't really feel like starting a new one. I'm good with computers, but have very little with electronics as it were, and I happened upon one of these: (my hosting, waffleimages is down)
https://www.mezzir.com/reciever.jpg
Problem is, the power cord's cut an inch away from the unit, and I'm wondering how do-able fixing that would be, as the amp I'm using now is as old and ghetto, except probably more broken than this would be if it would turn on. Anyone have experience with this type of thing?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Mister Speaker posted:

You, sir, just saved me a trip to Long & McQuade. Thanks! It seems to me that FX Release SHOULD be the default parameter, but I've never been the type to complain about having to "press one for English", either.

No problem, I thought exactly the same until I started complaining about the samples not being loud enough and then I checked the manual ;)

quote:

I'd also like to hear some opinions about the Kaossilator Pro, as I'm thinking of getting one. I also have little experience with the piano, and scales aren't exactly my strong point - would a tool like that be a big improvement to the ability to write melodies?

A book about music theory will cost an awful lot less and you'll learn much, much more.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

glitchkrieg posted:

A book about music theory will cost an awful lot less and you'll learn much, much more.

So is this your review, or are you just being a jerk?

I'm looking for a jumping-off point, and the Kaossilator looks like a fun, less intimidating introduction/toy that will have me making music inside of a week. I'm just not sure it's worth the dollars for what you get.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

AJzer posted:

I'm looking for a jumping-off point, and the Kaossilator looks like a fun, less intimidating introduction/toy that will have me making music inside of a week. I'm just not sure it's worth the dollars for what you get.
I don't think that guy is being a jerk, I think that his advice is spot on. If you want to spend $400 on something you don't really know how it works or why the scales sound good, go ahead, but understand that the technology can't make music for you, just help you along. Nothing can replace a knowledge of music theory, and the only real way to develop that understanding is to get a book or take some classes at your local community college.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 8, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

AJzer posted:

He has a point, you know. Keyboard, XY pad, fretboard, whatever- none of them inherently make it easier to compose melodies. You still need to learn scales and so on. And this stuff isn't rocket science either.

Or, you know, we're all dicks :shobon:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I'm a dick actually

edit: but I'm a dick who knows scales.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Once you wrap your head around the basic concept scales are super, super easy. You can learn the theory in like two hours. If you order something you can understand scales by the time it arrives at your house.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

Computer Jones posted:

...XY pad...none of them inherently make it easier to compose melodies.

Disagree, see below.

Chitin posted:

Once you wrap your head around the basic concept scales are super, super easy. You can learn the theory in like two hours. If you order something you can understand scales by the time it arrives at your house.

I'm ok with theory. I just don't have the technique (or time, yet) to play around in specific scales on a keyboard. This is a huge barrier to melody composition for me. The Kaossilator will absolutely make this easier, since it has presets for scales and keys that map the notes to the x-axis. I believe this is the feature that informed mezzir's question.

Still, I'm also looking for some general opinions about the device itself. A "don't bother, buy a music book" isn't much help, considering there's a lot of other stuff in this thing. I probably jumped to insults a bit quick, but I assumed this and the feature above was clear.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

AJzer posted:

Disagree, see below.

I'm ok with theory. I just don't have the technique (or time, yet) to play around in specific scales on a keyboard. This is a huge barrier to melody composition for me. The Kaossilator will absolutely make this easier, since it has presets for scales and keys that map the notes to the x-axis. I believe this is the feature that informed mezzir's question.

Still, I'm also looking for some general opinions about the device itself. A "don't bother, buy a music book" isn't much help, considering there's a lot of other stuff in this thing. I probably jumped to insults a bit quick, but I assumed this and the feature above was clear.

I think you're convinced that the Kaossilator is the answer and you're looking for support, not differing opinions.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

melee beats posted:

I think you're convinced that the Kaossilator is the answer and you're looking for support, not differing opinions.

Pretty sure all I said was it would make this one aspect easier. That alone doesn't justify $400 for me.

Enough with the derail, I apologize.

Do you have any insight into the rest of the device?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

AJzer posted:

Pretty sure all I said was it would make this one aspect easier. That alone doesn't justify $400 for me.

Enough with the derail, I apologize.

Do you have any insight into the rest of the device?

I have plenty advice on the rest of the device - don't get it. What it sounds like is that you want something like an autoharp where you just pres butan and you're playing in a certain key. This can be achieved with far more flexibility in Ableton by using the scale plugin it has. Basically, you play or compose notes, and it reroutes them based on the key you've selected. That seems like a much, much, much smarter investment than a Kaossilator.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

melee beats posted:

I have plenty advice on the rest of the device - don't get it. What it sounds like is that you want something like an autoharp where you just pres butan and you're playing in a certain key. This can be achieved with far more flexibility in Ableton by using the scale plugin it has. Basically, you play or compose notes, and it reroutes them based on the key you've selected. That seems like a much, much, much smarter investment than a Kaossilator.

I've got Ableton, but haven't really played with it much. Do you have any advice re: midi input devices that have enough extra knobs and business for less than $400? I'd ideally like something 2-3 octave, for flexibility when I actually spend time with a keyboard.

One of the attractive features of the Kaossilator is the lack of needing a laptop/keyboard sitting next to me for live performance, and that I can get notes and effects (y-axis) with one hand. I'm an acoustic drummer, so this means I have 3 limbs free to play while using the pad.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

AJzer posted:

I've got Ableton, but haven't really played with it much. Do you have any advice re: midi input devices that have enough extra knobs and business for less than $400? I'd ideally like something 2-3 octave, for flexibility when I actually spend time with a keyboard.

One of the attractive features of the Kaossilator is the lack of needing a laptop/keyboard sitting next to me for live performance, and that I can get notes and effects (y-axis) with one hand. I'm an acoustic drummer, so this means I have 3 limbs free to play while using the pad.

You could get a few at that price - if you're a drummer, you might even want to check out a pad based controller like the MPD's from Akai. You might have a bit of fun with that. But I'd say get a 61 key Axiom from M-Audio - mine was $140 and it's perfect.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

AJzer posted:

Disagree, see below.

:wtc:
Gonna assume this was a mistype, because my question was about hardware repair.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

AJzer posted:

Do you have any advice re: midi input devices that have enough extra knobs and business for less than $400? I'd ideally like something 2-3 octave, for flexibility when I actually spend time with a keyboard.
There are many, try a bunch out and find one that fits you. Something like this might work perfectly for you, but I've used that controller before and hate the knobs and pads on it. That kind of thing can't be tested out over the internet, it's something you have to get to know with hands on experience.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 8, 2014

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

colonp posted:

I have a Kaossilator, and it's a fun toy.

I do not really like my Axiom 25. The keys are nice, but yeah, the knobs and pads aren't. Also 25 keys is not enough.

Yeah, I just said screw it and went to the local music shop to give it a run through today. Played with it for about an hour, and I composed more songs in that time than I have ever before, but it seems extremely limited given 200 presets that can't change. It could be fun as an input device I guess. The interface is unique and enjoyable, but more gimmick than anything. Not worth the $400 given this advice and my short experience.

And save for colonp, there seems to be a lot of Axiom love here. Are they sort of the established keyboard controller brand like Technics is for DJs, or just coincidence?

Edit: I also played around with the Roland Octapad SP-30. Whoo boy that is a badass little machine. Maybe in 10 years.

AJzer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 9, 2010

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Since we're talking about the Kaossilator Pro, can anyone comment on it as a live-looping and effects device?

Also regarding exotic and not-so-exotic scales, while I see the appeal of the KP as a controller for melody, just get any kind of pad controller (Akai LPD8, Korg NanoPad, etc.) and set the pads to scale values. As mentioned, Ableton has stuff that helps with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
M-Audio(makers of the Axiom line) is well-known for entry-level keyboards and controllers, but they're pretty good quality for the money. Akai would be a step up, although probably unnecessary for your first piece of gear. Same with Novation. Any of those three brands see a lot of use amongst producers/DJs. And those are just the first that come to mind for me.

The biggest thing with controllers, as colonp mentioned, is the feel of each control. Pads, knobs, faders, etc vary by manufacturer(and even product, sometimes). If you're spending any sort of real money(which to me is $100+) you need to have some sort of hands-on with the gear. Once you're satisfied with the action of your gear choice, do some quick googling to make sure it isn't a POS. Look at some reviews to see what potential problems it may have, and any possible hardware/software incompatibilities. At the very least, make sure you know the exact warranty/return policy so that you don't get the shaft if it sucks rear end, or doesn't fit your style/setup.

• Locked thread