Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

For the G2 and MT4G which still don't have permaroot, is there any reason you couldn't download the Wireless/Wired Tether for Root Users apk, temproot with VISIONary, and then tether away?

Wifi tether requires a module in the kernel that's generally not included in stock. It might be in 2.2 since it's got built in tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

chippy posted:

Is there any explanation of what the different CPU governers do? I'm trying to work out how to effectively set up SetCPU to squeeze a bit more of my battery without compromising performance, but I can't really see much in the way of a manual or guide anywhere. Also, I thought Android scaled the CPU frequency according to load anyway?
This is documentation from the dev's website: http://www.pokedev.com/setcpu/#7

It only covers 5 options, though, and one doesn't work. Looking on my phone, I also see "smartass" and "interactive" as options. I don't know what smartass is, and this is in fact the first time I noticed it. Interactive is similar to ondemand in that it will scale up the frequency as needed, but will do so in a more gradual way, I believe. I know that when I use it, my phone can be sluggish for a second or 3 if it's been idle for a while, depending on how low I set the min.

Anyway, this is the SetCPU thread at the xda forums. It's in the G1 subforum, but as far as I know, it's the official thread for that app.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Casao posted:

Wifi tether requires a module in the kernel that's generally not included in stock. It might be in 2.2 since it's got built in tethering.

Yeah I just did the manual upgrade of the G2 and tethering options are there.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TheReverend posted:

Yeah I just did the manual upgrade of the G2 and tethering options are there.

Yes, but does that have the kernel modules that wireless-tether requires? Or did they do it a different way?

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
someone cool with a G2/mytouch 4g: install http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/ , temproot, and tell me if you can wired tether, pretty please :)

erp seems someone already tried it and it works, def getting an MT4G now

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/wiki/FAQ in the comments there

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2010

toby
Dec 4, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Guh...is there anyway to get wifi tethering with the Epic other than flashing a ROM?
Yeah, I'm not prepared to start dumping new ROMs on my new-rear end phone. One step at a time, I guess.

I don't know why, but the Epic is like the bastard unsupported child of the Galaxy S phones.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

toby posted:

I don't know why, but the Epic is like the bastard unsupported child of the Galaxy S phones.

It takes a lot of skill to become the bastard, unsupported child of a Samsung phone line. They'd have to pretty much purposely introduce bugs.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Casao posted:

It takes a lot of skill to become the bastard, unsupported child of a Samsung phone line. They'd have to pretty much purposely introduce bugs.

They won't take that title away from my Moment. It doesn't even HAVE a forum on XDA.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Getting a phone you hope will have support is kind of a gamble. You can kind of count on HTC, but not always, a moto if it's on Verizon, and the rest is a big toss-up. It's almost always best to hang back and wait until the dev scene has taken a liking to a device, because you certainly can't count on the manufacturer/carrier to give you up-to-date support.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
I seem to be failing miserably at rooting my Evo using unrevoked. I'm following the instructions and when I open up unrevoked nothing happens, it just stays at "waiting for device". I'm doing this on Ubuntu by the way. :iiam:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

the aftermath posted:

I seem to be failing miserably at rooting my Evo using unrevoked. I'm following the instructions and when I open up unrevoked nothing happens, it just stays at "waiting for device". I'm doing this on Ubuntu by the way. :iiam:

You may need to add the device id for your evo to udev to get it detected properly. Take a look at the Android website for details.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Ashex posted:

You may need to add the device id for your evo to udev to get it detected properly. Take a look at the Android website for details.
Thanks, but I just restarted my comp and my phone and tried again and it seems to have worked. Yay.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Anyone else here a MIUI user? Nerdgasm over 11.5 right now... Mp3 controls on lockscreen! :swoon:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

flyboi posted:

Anyone else here a MIUI user? Nerdgasm over 11.5 right now... Mp3 controls on lockscreen! :swoon:

I have ROM ADHD but I've had MIUI on my Evo for about a week now and I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to playing with 11.5, the changelog looks pretty dang good.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

This has been in CM6 forever now FYI. Definitely hoping something like that gets pushed into stock Android in 2.3, it's long overdue.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

This has been in CM6 forever now FYI. Definitely hoping something like that gets pushed into stock Android in 2.3, it's long overdue.

Yeah I know. MIUI and CM6 are working closer together so that's why it's in MIUI now. The two will be very similar in terms of features after a few more updates.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does MIUI have full arabic support w/rtl like CM6? I'm tempted to try MIUI on my N1 but I can't sacrifice arabic :(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That's a good question... It's AOSP so whatever is necessary can technically be thrown into it to make it work.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

flyboi posted:

Yeah I know. MIUI and CM6 are working closer together so that's why it's in MIUI now. The two will be very similar in terms of features after a few more updates.

Except the MIUI version looks about a hundred times nicer and features a lockscreen visualiser too.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
For people with rooted HTC Desires, have they fixed the horrible issue with viewing pictures? Where the phone uses the thumbnail as the source instead of the original image making zooming horrible horrible horrible?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

For people with rooted HTC Desires, have they fixed the horrible issue with viewing pictures? Where the phone uses the thumbnail as the source instead of the original image making zooming horrible horrible horrible?

Viewing pictures in what app?

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Got an evo today and unRevoked doesn't work on the new HBoot 2.02... Some say it may if you set teh security level to off but yeah. Not sure If I feel safe doing the Hboot 2.02 S-Off thing.. I'll just have to watch to see if it gets updated

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I have an HTC Incredible and found a pretty nice theme for another sense phone and all I want is to use the dialer graphics from the theme in my current rom. I know how to extract and rezip apks, but don't know where the dialer graphics are located. I've narrowed it down to either settings.apk or framework-res.apk. Anyone know where they are located and which specific files they are?

E: I thought it'd be HTCDialer.apk but the theme doesn't include this apk so I'm lost as to what's controlling the color of the dialer (specifically the number keys).

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 6, 2010

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
It's in Phone.apk, not htcdialer.apk. They're the phone_number pngs in the drawable_hdpi folder.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 6, 2010

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

It's in Phone.apk, not htcdialer.apk. They're the phone_number pngs in the drawable_hdpi folder.

Wow, thank you! I looked in Phone.apk too but must have overlooked it. Apparently the button background is btn_dial_normal.9.png

E: wtf, the theme I downloaded has no phone.apk but screenshots show a themed dialer. What's going on?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 7, 2010

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

travisray2004 posted:

Wow, thank you! I looked in Phone.apk too but must have overlooked it. Apparently the button background is btn_dial_normal.9.png

E: wtf, the theme I downloaded has no phone.apk but screenshots show a themed dialer. What's going on?

Is it a metamorph? Where'd you get it from?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

Is it a metamorph? Where'd you get it from?

I'm thinking it probably is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=789493

All I want is the dialer button graphic from the greencarbon theme in the second post.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
If there's no APK being fully replaced it might be a metamorph, since all metamorph does is alter files within currently existing APKs. In any case the png should be somewhere in the theme ZIP file, you just have to find it. I don't know where to download the theme from so I can't help.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 7, 2010

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Viewing pictures in what app?

Any browser. Currently using Dolphin but the default one does the same thing.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

travisray2004 posted:

I'm thinking it probably is.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=789493

All I want is the dialer button graphic from the greencarbon theme in the second post.

I think I found what your problem was. Turns out that the green Dial button is in framework.res in the drawable_hdpi folder. Here's the files you want, in any case

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

God Exists. posted:

I think I found what your problem was. Turns out that the green Dial button is in framework.res in the drawable_hdpi folder. Here's the files you want, in any case

I was actually looking for the number keys but I found them in com.htc.resources
Thanks a lot, man :)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

Any browser. Currently using Dolphin but the default one does the same thing.

Okay, I'm still not really following. You mean that if you visit a webpage with say a grid of photo thumbnails, then tap on one to open it full size, you still get the thumbnail sized image?

Do you have any example pages where this might happen? Because it's something I've never seen before and I've owned a Desire since launch, and tried a whole variety of different ROMs as well as running on stock until a simple root option became available.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

Friend links me a 1680x1050 image and I open it up in Dolphin.

My phone resizes it to 10% of it's original size and shrinks-to-fit a thumbnail on my screen.

I double tap to zoom in, and instead of giving me 20% of the original image and keeping the image crisp and clear, it enlarges the thumbnail and gives me a blocky mess.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Paccione posted:

Friend links me a 1680x1050 image and I open it up in Dolphin.

My phone resizes it to 10% of it's original size and shrinks-to-fit a thumbnail on my screen.

I double tap to zoom in, and instead of giving me 20% of the original image and keeping the image crisp and clear, it enlarges the thumbnail and gives me a blocky mess.

I'm not running stock Sense at the minute but I just tried in three different browsers (Dolphin, Miren and stock Android browser) with a desktop wallpaper sized image and don't have this problem.

Are you sure it's not your network operating a proxy that compresses images to save on 3G bandwidth?

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

I'm not running stock Sense at the minute but I just tried in three different browsers (Dolphin, Miren and stock Android browser) with a desktop wallpaper sized image and don't have this problem.

Are you sure it's not your network operating a proxy that compresses images to save on 3G bandwidth?

I have no idea how to check that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Paccione posted:

I have no idea how to check that.

Try it over wifi.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

MasterColin posted:

Got an evo today and unRevoked doesn't work on the new HBoot 2.02... Some say it may if you set teh security level to off but yeah. Not sure If I feel safe doing the Hboot 2.02 S-Off thing.. I'll just have to watch to see if it gets updated

Well that freaking sucks. I'm sure unrevoked is working on it, I would definitely wait a bit to see what they say about it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Guh...is there anyway to get wifi tethering with the Epic other than flashing a ROM?
android-wifi-tether should work in ad-hoc mode out-of-the-box, as long as you're rooted. It requires one of the 2.0.5-pre versions, which are at the top of the Downloads page. I can't confirm it works as ad-hoc is broken on my laptop, but I think others have had success with it.

Also, MobileAP from the Galaxy S i9000 works on the Epic. Make sure you read the end of that thread as folks were reporting problems in tbe beginning, but it works now. It supports infrastructure mode, which is pretty much as good as you can get. It will work on stock ROM, but it replaces the Sprint hotspot application.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I use PDANet now, because it's still better than lovely hotel wireless, but I get the impression PDANet isn't that good/fast?
The air interface is probably the limiting factor in speed. Although I've not tried PDANet, I suspect that despite whatever inefficiencies, it's probably not terribly slow unless the driver really sucks. The problem with it is that it's not plug-n-play on the host side.

In any event, the Epic does support USB tethering with android-wired-tether, which presents as an RNDIS adapter host-side. It requires installing the Galaxy S drivers in Windows, just so it knows how to enumerate the device, it also works in Linux. Granted, you need to use the modified android-wired-tether client from that thread, and need to install a kernel supporting RNDIS. The "test" kernel from that thread works just fine, but it has to be manually installed since no one packaged it. Alternatively, the MixUp kernel also supports RNDIS with some other things and is updated fairly frequently.

Yeah, installing a new kernel isn't exactly plug-n-play either. But it's not the same thing as installing a new ROM, all the user-facing software is left untouched. It's also trivial to restore the stock kernel should you want to go back.

toby posted:

By Samsung or by the community? It sucks that Froyo isn't out yet, but that's a problem on the Vibrant, Fascinate, and Mesmerize too. The Epic development community is surely much smaller than the Evo, but other than CyanogenMod support and a good AOSP build, I can't think of anything else right now the Epic doesn't support. And AFAIK CyanogenMod/AOSP are issue on other Galaxy S devices too.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I need to root a Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500. I'm looking at this guide, but the phone I have is running 1.5. The guide links to a list of recoveries that say they are 'for' 1.6 and some for over 1.6. Can I use one of those recoveries or is there a better/easier way to root the I7500? I know Androot is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
Having a bit of trouble working out the upgrade path for my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (international version).

Current version: Android 2.1
Product Code: i9000HKDORA (Orange)

PDA: I9000XXJM1
PHONE: I9000XXJM1
CSC: I9000OXAJM1

Ideally I just want to use the reg hack with Kies but I suspect there's more to it than that due to my product code. Also ODIN scares me as I'm not too sure if I need to goto an image first before I goto 2.2 JPO.