Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

http://www.flagline.com/id0186A04

True story: Yesterday, I had an argument with my friend from South Carolina (who does ACW reenacting) about NASCAR.

I also bought some more T34s for FoW. Because I love T34s.

On a related topic: Why does Battlefront have such poo poo quality for their books? My mini-rulebook and my Fortress Europe book are both falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lord Commissar posted:

True story: Yesterday, I had an argument with my friend from South Carolina (who does ACW reenacting) about NASCAR.

I also bought some more T34s for FoW. Because I love T34s.

On a related topic: Why does Battlefront have such poo poo quality for their books? My mini-rulebook and my Fortress Europe book are both falling apart.

Really cheap asian printing. My Hell's Highway stayed together for all of one day before the binding came out.

That said I'm really tempted to paint up some germans to sell on eBay or to the old grognards in town. And finally use my airbrush. Is there any eta on when early war stuff is coming out in well, not 200 dollar army boxes?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I ordered Das Book, and when it gets here, I'm going to take the whole collection to Kinko's and have them spiral bound.

Also, for anyone that plays BKC, do they take different vehicle speeds in to account? It seems odd that a light tank moves the same speed as a super-heavy tank (unless it's got Very Slow Tank).

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
FOW Early war blisters should be in stores Nov 13th. Most of it should be stuff we have seen in the boxes but in blister form.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What do you guys think of using an Armored Transport Platoon with SMGs and one flamethrower team to cruise with my Soviet Tank Company?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Lord Commissar posted:

I ordered Das Book, and when it gets here, I'm going to take the whole collection to Kinko's and have them spiral bound.

Also, for anyone that plays BKC, do they take different vehicle speeds in to account? It seems odd that a light tank moves the same speed as a super-heavy tank (unless it's got Very Slow Tank).

Tanks have different movement speeds in game. ie Tiger 2 has movement of 15cm, whereas a Panther is 25cm

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are the movement speeds in summary for tanks in FOW:

Fully tracked (In rough they reduce to 8" movement regardless of movement rules)
Normal (ie. no movement rules) = 12"
Very slow tank (Poor infantry tanks) = 6" which is infantry walking speed
Slow tank (Infantry and Heavy tanks) = 8" move
Light tank (Stuarts, Cromwells) = 16"
Fast tank (T34, Crusaders) = When moving at the double you tripe your normal move speed.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

LintMan posted:

Here are the movement speeds in summary for tanks in FOW:

Fully tracked (In rough they reduce to 8" movement regardless of movement rules)
Normal (ie. no movement rules) = 12"
Very slow tank (Poor infantry tanks) = 6" which is infantry walking speed
Slow tank (Infantry and Heavy tanks) = 8" move
Light tank (Stuarts, Cromwells) = 16"
Fast tank (T34, Crusaders) = When moving at the double you tripe your normal move speed.

I love moving my T-34's when my opponent gets distracted, just so i can watch them stare at the table and wonder how the hell my t-34s got on the other side of the board, god they move so fast.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What's this at my door? My reinforcements have arrived?

Also got Das Book. It's pretty neat.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
While this figure will be thought ridiculous by those only interested in historically accurate figs, since I also have an interest in fantasy battles, I'm delighted that WF stuck to the exposed cleavage and questionable lower armor. A woman in historically accurate armor would be nearly indistinguishable from a man and I see no point in such a line. For fantasy battles however, bringing out the sexiness is key to making an all-female unit worth putting on the table. That said, I do have to agree that the female form itself is not captured in the sculpt as well as I had hoped. It's like the punch was pulled at the last moment. You've got this really sexy set of armor on a girl I'm not sure I'd pick up at the local bar. I'd have gone full bore on this fantasy figure by exaggerating the thin waste (achieving the classic Playboy 34-24-36 measurements) and celebrating the female form in the sculpt. Still, I'll give you guys a "B" for the figure and an "A" for keeping it a scantly clad fantasy figure instead of something "realistic."

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

link and pics.
That is pretty funny though. There are so many miniature lines out there for booby dnd characters that it is amazing to think that someone would complain about a reasonable historical line of female miniatures

Karandras fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 7, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/announcements/update-to-3d-amazon-view-now-in-color

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
That's some horrible amazon miniatures. Never forget that your hobby sucks.

Anyway, since WHFB hosed up heavy infantry, I have to get a little bit ahistoric with my samurai. Like giving them cavalry pistols and painting them purple. The purple bit wasn't necessary, I guess. It's still historical as in being troops of Hosokawa Tadaoki, who led about 5 000 samurai at Sekigahara on the Eastern side. Hosokawa was so respected that 500 of their troops tied up 15 000 Western soldiers who never got to the battlefield since they didn't want to disrespect Hosokawa by going through his men. Japanese people!

These are just three tests models, I guess I'll end up doing more later to make them an actual unit.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Played a little FoG event this weekend. Remembered to snap pics of my Kushite Egyptians.

Some Kushite Cavalry

Kushite Chariots

More Chariots

The other pics came out a little lovely. Gotta get back to painting my Spaniards.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

What do you guys think of using an Armored Transport Platoon with SMGs and one flamethrower team to cruise with my Soviet Tank Company?

I was thinking of the exact same thing for my tankovy. The idea looks great on paper but I won't get to test it until Thanksgiving weekend. I'll let you know how it worked out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man, the T-34/85 bodies have the little front track cover already molded on the body. The T-34 obr 42s do not, and it sucks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that flamethrowers are one-shot weapons and you remove the team after they get hit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

6 T34-85s and 3 IS-2s

I'm hoping to finish the 10 T-34 o.42s I have left before it gets too cold and windy to spray paint outside. Alternately, I'll need to come up with a way to spray paint inside.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The tank in the right of that picture has a guy holding what I assume are signal flags, but I can't find any reference pics on how to paint them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lord Commissar posted:

The tank in the right of that picture has a guy holding what I assume are signal flags, but I can't find any reference pics on how to paint them.

Anyone have any ideas?

I think in Eastern Front they're shown as just solid red, but a T-35/85 in the late war period should have a radio making the signal flags kind of odd. Not tryin to sperg out, honest.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

I think in Eastern Front they're shown as just solid red, but a T-35/85 in the late war period should have a radio making the signal flags kind of odd. Not tryin to sperg out, honest.

I just wanted a way to look down at the table and say "That's the HQ!" and that seemed like the best one to use.

Maybe I'll make them both Soviet Union flags, like those American flags everyone had on their cars after 9/11

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Hello chaps. I went to the International Plastic Modellers Society UK show case at the Telford International Centre yesterday. It was massive and awesome and filled to the brim with quite frankly unbelievable models and great trade stands.

I have a fair glut of photos I am going to share with you but first I wanted to show you Modelmates Weathering dyes they had a guy doing demos at their stand and I picked up a load myself. Check out the site at http://www.modelmates.co.uk/index.html they have how to videos that show the product better than I could explain. Hopefully it should mean that I can stop having to gently caress about with the oils being awkward.

Any way the PICS!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Since I started to paint 6mm samurai I found out that there are no makers of Asian themed 6mm terrain, except for Vietnam War terrain. I want to build a board with a Japanese village/small town, and since I don't want to make so many individual houses, I'm thinking of casting in resin. I'm still at the first step of making the models to cast. However, since I have never done something like this, or even bought resin houses, I'm looking for feedback.

I'm not really sure about whether to do the roofs detached or attached to the model. Since I haven't tried casting before, I'm not sure whether it would work to mold it like that or not. I'm mostly concerned about the pocket of air under the part of the roof that extends over the walls.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I've seen resin terrain done both ways, and I vastly prefer separate roofs.

However, I imagine that's more expensive, and at 6mm scale, I'm not sure it's necessary. Plus, I don't think you're going to have a bunch of skirmishers hiding inside, are you?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I've seen resin terrain done both ways, and I vastly prefer separate roofs.

However, I imagine that's more expensive, and at 6mm scale, I'm not sure it's necessary. Plus, I don't think you're going to have a bunch of skirmishers hiding inside, are you?

No, if I had to do interiors in 6mm I'd kill myself. I'm curious about how possible it would be to do 15 or 28mm with interiors later. Pretty much all Japanese terrain in those scales are without interiors, which sucks for skirmish play. For example, the onle producer with some variety is Oshiro model terrain, and to be frank, his houses looks to be high quality but mostly pretty dull boxes.

http://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/catalogue28.html

I'm thinking of doing some houses with separate roofs and some with attached roofs for 6mm, just to try out how it works. When I have some experience I can move on to 15mm and 28mm. I can cram out a 6mm house in just a couple of hours, so it's a good scale to experiment with compared to a detailed 28mm project that could take weeks.

e: wouldn't it be cheaper to have interiors as you would need a lot less resin to pour into the mold compared to a solid house?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It would be cheaper resin-wise, but the mold might be harder to make, and thus more expensive.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

6 T34-85s and 3 IS-2s

I'm hoping to finish the 10 T-34 o.42s I have left before it gets too cold and windy to spray paint outside. Alternately, I'll need to come up with a way to spray paint inside.

Lord Commissar, which book do you take your army list from? The guts of my tankovy army looks a lot like yours with the mix of T-34 o.1942s and T-34/85s. Are there any supporting units you've tried out and found wanting?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

free mummy posted:

Lord Commissar, which book do you take your army list from? The guts of my tankovy army looks a lot like yours with the mix of T-34 o.1942s and T-34/85s. Are there any supporting units you've tried out and found wanting?

Fortress Europe.

So far I've not actually played the tank company, just a mechanized company, and the infantry did jack poo poo.

But the FoW website has a neat write up on this very thing: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1888

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finally recovered from Rallypoint 2010. My army took out 2nd place in generalship and ended up only 1pt behind 1st place.

Here is my boys all lined up for the painting comp.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

lilljonas posted:

I'm not really sure about whether to do the roofs detached or attached to the model. Since I haven't tried casting before, I'm not sure whether it would work to mold it like that or not. I'm mostly concerned about the pocket of air under the part of the roof that extends over the walls.

Have you seen how Baccus do their buildings?

The buildings come on nicely sculpted bases, but the buildings come away from the bases and the hole left is the same size as one of their infantry bases. Works really well.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Also tonight Im doing a Rules of Engagment game (28mm ww2 skirmish)- US paras VS Panzergrenadiers.

Should be fun- might try taking a few photos although I am unsure if my lazy mate has painted his Heer yet.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Also tonight Im doing a Rules of Engagment game (28mm ww2 skirmish)- US paras VS Panzergrenadiers.

Should be fun- might try taking a few photos although I am unsure if my lazy mate has painted his Heer yet.

Pictures please!, a report/general thoughts on the system, etc would be awesome as well. I was browsing the warlord games site last night and am now considering spending my Dark Eldar money on starting up this instead.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 21, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tankovy Battalon!

Basecoated!

lovely Picture!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

How am I supposed to model a PTRD on this BA-64?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Devlan Mud posted:

Well historically they didn't always have radios, they had a mix without radios, or some didn't work, etc. so even by the late war period that had to break out the flags from time to time, so even if he models them its still historically correct.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Lord Commissar posted:

How am I supposed to model a PTRD on this BA-64?

http://www.gamingfigures.com/viewProducts_test.asp?action=viewproduct&product=3823

Stick one of them in it! Or cut the arms off the one where the two dudes are carrying one. That set comes in three pieces, try to imagine how fun that is to glue together.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ElBrak posted:

http://www.gamingfigures.com/viewProducts_test.asp?action=viewproduct&product=3823

Stick one of them in it! Or cut the arms off the one where the two dudes are carrying one. That set comes in three pieces, try to imagine how fun that is to glue together.

Yeah I'd thought of that, but I didn't want to have to buy a whole blister just for two guns.

I think I may use the other T34 barrels I have and some greenstuff and just make it "good enough" for 15mm.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was wondering if anyone with some experience with flames of war could give me some advice on some lists I've been building.

To cut a long story short, my brother sucks at painting and assembling his armies because he is too loving lazy. I have decided to collect two armies (and add a third later) to make sure I get at least one game in this time. I wanted two armies that would be reasonably balanced and fun to play against each other, that used some of the models I got in Open Fire!

Without further ado, here are the two lists:

code:
American - Rifle Company 		

Company HQ		15
Bazooka Team		15
Bazooka Team		15

Rifle Platoon		
3 Rifle Squads		155

Rifle Platoon		
3 Rifle Squads		155

Tank Platoon		
3 M4A1 Shermans		205

Tank Destroyer Platoon		
1 M10 Section		175

Total		        735
code:
German - Grenadierkompanie		

Company HQ		40
Anti tank Section	25
Mortar Section		55

Grenadier Platoon		
3 Grenadier Squads 	165

Grenadier Platoon		
3 Grenadier Squads 	165

Panzer Platoon		
3 Stug G		285

Total		        735
Before I go and spend my hard earned dollars, I was wondering if these would be fairly reasonable lists to start out with.

Also, can infantry destroy tanks with rifle fire? I mean,a rifleman has anti-tank 2, and a stug has front armour of 7 and side of 3, meaning that a rifle will penetrate a stug 1/3 of the time from the front and 100% from the side. This seems a little odd, but I guess it makes it balanced.
If this is true, then maybe I was a little rash in avoiding buying a tank company for one of the armies, I thought it would poo poo all over a rifle company in low points games because there weren't enough points to buy anti tank guns. I might change one of the armies into a tank company just to make sure that they play differently, then I can focus on artillery when I get me some soviets.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 24, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KongGeorgeVII posted:

:words:
Tank companies will poo poo all over infantry. These lists look well relatively balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Also, can infantry destroy tanks with rifle fire? I mean,a rifleman has anti-tank 2, and a stug has front armour of 7 and side of 3, meaning that a rifle will penetrate a stug 1/3 of the time from the front and 100% from the side. This seems a little odd, but I guess it makes it balanced.
If this is true, then maybe I was a little rash in avoiding buying a tank company for one of the armies, I thought it would poo poo all over a rifle company in low points games because there weren't enough points to buy anti tank guns. I might change one of the armies into a tank company just to make sure that they play differently, then I can focus on artillery when I get me some soviets.

Uh, rifle men will never penetrate a Stug from any direction. When you compare antitank to armor after a armored unit is hit, the armor gets a d6. So it would be antitank 2 vrs 7-13 front armor, so even with out the d6 the riflemen have no chance to penetrate.