Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.

Bum the Sad posted:

No I'm talking about a continuous infusion of something like a vecuronium drip to decrease oxygen consumption consumption by the tissues. To clarify I am talking about a continuous infusion, not a quick bolus.

Paralysis isn't always bad, I've had a few people on vec + triple sedation (prop midaz fent) post MI that have come out nicely. Admittedly, the vec in that equation is to halt shivering, but still.

If they're on a thiopentone infusion, on the other hand...

And quad inotropes is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Why don't you start a similar post in 'goon doctor' under 'watch and woot?' There are threads there for EMTs, paramedics, pharmacists, and the famous, 'how to avoid marrying a whore, medical school megathread. A nursing thread would be great.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Low Carb Bread posted:

I can't speak for anyone else's program but a few of my friends managed to pull off a minor. It's totally doable if your scheduling allows it, and/or you're willing to take summer classes.

Take summer classes if you want a minor. I actually was ONE course short of a BA after taking courses every summer. A minor is easy if you take summer classes.

I got a job today, case management with a clinical placement I had. They had something open up, I'm so very grateful. :)

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
Could anyone help me with a school assignment?

We are suppose to critique how nurses are portrayed in two TV episodes. Then write a letter to the producer summarizing what was done right and wrong in regards to nursing.

The choices given are House, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Nurse Jackie, and Hawthorne.

The shows need to be recent.

Seeing as how I never watched any of these TV shows, does anyone have any recent episodes that they can suggest that I watch? Rather than having to watch a bunch of TV shows.

Thanks

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Don't watch House. Their opinion on nurses is that they essentially don't exist. Seriously, I think I have seen about 5 scenes with a nurse in all 6 seasons...

Or maybe that's the point haha. Good show though otherwise.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
I'm partial to Nurse Jackie; I think it's a fantastic portrayal, often reminding me of the small hospital in the ghetto where my healthcare career began.

For your assignment, I'd suggest season 2 episode 2. However, you having not seen the preceding season, you're likely to miss a lot.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
Nurses only show up during House when the patient is crashing. I can only think of two times a nurse has had a speaking part on that show, and one of them was that awful male nurse character (male nurses must be gay lol!!).

From the little bit of Gray's Anatomy I've seen, nurses are non-existent there too, and often they have the doctors doing the work of nurses.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
At the beginning of my program (in late Aug. this year), they showed us an episode of Nurse Jackie. It was an episode with the student nurse, and our instructor said that Jackie's speech to the student nurse was pretty much spot on.

I also concur with the opinions on House (as far as I know, there are few RNs and no techs anywhere at Princeton-Plainsboro either.)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with Androids, do you have any favorite work-related applications?

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Epocrates is a pretty decent drug reference app that has a Pill ID search. Also has some medical calculators, and it's free.

http://www.epocrates.com/products/android/

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Hughmoris posted:

For my spanish-only patients Medical Spanish
I wish there were similar applications for other languages (Arabic, Urdu, Russian, Japanese).

When I had a Palm, I REALLY liked ABG Pro. I've not found a comparable Android offering.

We have a PC for every patient bed, so I get a lot of use out of Google Translate.

Edit:

JAF07 posted:

Epocrates is a pretty decent drug reference app that has a Pill ID search. Also has some medical calculators, and it's free.

http://www.epocrates.com/products/android/

Thanks for this. I had students last week arguing over which $50 medication app was best.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 8, 2010

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I watched the last episode of Nurse Jackie, and I also feel that its a positive portrayal of nurses. The tone of the assignment seems like a criticism of how nurses are depicted in the media however. We're suppose to write two letters to a producer of the show. So I'm less inclined to pick Nurse Jackie because overall, I feel like the show does a good job in how it presents nurses.

I rather do a show that I dislike - so I picked Grey's Anatomy. However, I just found out it has the guy from ROME, and he's awesome in it. Also, the episode was pretty decent.

I think the absence of nurses on a TV show can also be a critique of how nurses are portrayed on TV shows. I watched half an episode of the most recent House, and it seems like the doctors do virtually everything. One scene there doing surgery, the next there running a patient through a MRI machine.

The Pod
Jul 29, 2003
She opens her box of tricks and begs me to pick from one of a billion ways to feel no pain.
There's a critical shortage of nurses in my area (Pensacola, FL) and, from what I understand, if you work here for a certain amount of time, you can get your student loans forgiven.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Pod posted:

There's a critical shortage of nurses in my area (Pensacola, FL) and, from what I understand, if you work here for a certain amount of time, you can get your student loans forgiven.

What hospital? I'm a nursing student doing clinicals in Pensacola. I haven't heard anything about shortages in the area, just that it was hard to get hired here as a new grad. Do you know what new grads make in this area?

Donkey Darko
Aug 13, 2007

I do not lust for blood or death. I prepare for the warrior's call.
So, I just accepted a place on my Nursing DipHE pre-registration course at Stafford University. I am led to believe that my intake shall be one of the last diploma level (as opposed to degree level) intakes ever.

Am excited, and there is an NHS hospital right next to the campus, so that's convenient, assuming the majority of my placements are there.

The Antidepressant
Oct 9, 2010
This is me:
Senior - will graduate spring 2011.
GPA ~3.9
Sociology major

I started on the pre-med path when I was a junior. I'm over halfway done with my pre-med reqs and doing fairly well. I know I'll love helping people directly with their health.

But I have to admit this: I enjoy having free time and getting 7 hours of sleep. I want to spend my 20s on my feet instead of stuck in the library 24/7. I don't think I have the endurance for 4 years of medical school + 3 years of residency.

Was wondering if I should consider nursing instead?
Also from what I gather, it sounds like nursing school has a huge waitlist so I might not get in for quite a few years. I was wondering what your guys' experience was with admissions?
Also, I recall reading somewhere in this thread about a nursing degree for people who have a bachelors. I was wondering if someone could elaborate on that since I can't seem to find it now.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

RE: Med school: You won't be stuck in the library 24/7 and it really isn't that bad. If this is what you wanted all along I wouldn't drop it now just because you're afraid of the hours. It's not easy, but in most med schools you can get 7 hours a night of sleep any night in the first two years barring any self imposed study regimens or volunteering. Those two years are not that much harder than college. Third year is more difficult, but even then you will still have many of your weekends free. Typical schedule for, say, medicine would be starting at 7am, ending at 5pm mo-fri. Call is a bit variable but figure on coming in once in a while on the weekend or staying late every fourth day. Surgery is more brutal, something along the lines of 4am start, 6pm finish time or thereabouts. But that's only 6 to 8 weeks of your third year. If you can do that, fourth year will be a breeze. Residency, as you may already know, is about 80 hours a week but some programs work you a lot harder than that (surgery especially), and some are more relaxed (pathology, radiology, physiatry, dermatology etc). There's a lot of word on the street that they'll be dropping the maximum hours to 60 or 65 soon so who knows.

Nursing: I'm not sure about this wait list thing, and your college may offer a bachelor of science in nursing degree which you could start right now even. In my area there are a lot of programs that will take anyone interested with good credentials, such as yourself. If you're serious about nursing then look into the programs in your area now so you can start sooner rather than later.

Other alternatives: Physician assistant is another possible alternative to nursing or medicine.

In any case, this is a decision that will make a big impact on the rest of your life, so I would think long and hard about the end game rather than what will happen in the next 2, 5 or 10 years. What would you like to see yourself doing 20 years from now? How do you want to live? What experiences do you have with nurses, physicians and other people in the medical field? You should perhaps spend a little more time trying to figure out what you want to be doing before committing to one thing or another.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Low Carb Bread posted:

In any case, this is a decision that will make a big impact on the rest of your life, so I would think long and hard about the end game rather than what will happen in the next 2, 5 or 10 years. What would you like to see yourself doing 20 years from now? How do you want to live? What experiences do you have with nurses, physicians and other people in the medical field? You should perhaps spend a little more time trying to figure out what you want to be doing before committing to one thing or another.

This part of LCB's post is fuckin' money. These are really the questions you need to mull over before you can make the decision.

For me, the question boiled down to "in 20 years, if I do something else, will I constantly be asking myself how would life be different if I had become a doctor?" Obviously, my answer was a resounding "yes," so the decision to go to medical school was pretty easy. And not only that, it's a pretty drat cool job. I feel like a lot of doctors forget that these days, so don't base your decision on the opinions of just one or two docs, but get a wide variety of viewpoints.

Now that I am here in med school though, you really really really have to want to do it to survive these 4 + 3 years (or more). It's not a decision to take lightly, but if you devote the time and consider LCB's questions above, you're bound to make the right choice.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I'd heavily dissuade anyone feeling "meh" about medical school from leaping over to nursing. The two are worlds apart. At least in the hospital setting, MDs largely make a plan and walk away. Nurses execute the plan. There can be a lot of creativity and autonomy in the execution of the plan, but carrying out a plan is not the same as designing it.

Which would you rather do?

There are upsides and downside to each role. Making the plans is actually pretty boring most of the time. It's also frustrating because rather than do what you would like to do, you're often constrained by the way things are done at your local institution. You're also going to have your plan overwritten by other practitioners, and sometimes the people carrying out your plan will end up mangling it so badly you won't even recognize it. You also won't be there when things happen. You'll have to trust that other people are monitoring, and that those people know how to respond appropriately.

Executing the plans is fun because you get to deal with the immediate problems that crop up. You have to prioritize and anticipate, and in a true crisis you get to make the really quick decisions that matter just as much as the overall approach. The downsides are that it's frustrating when you get stuck with a lovely planner. The job also becomes terrible when you are so overloaded you have to mentally shut down and just leap from task to task. Of note, the people executing plans are usually the ones who get covered in disgusting bodily fluids.

The best advice I can offer though is to get out and shadow people. Call up your local hospital and ask them if you can tag along behind someone in the ED for a day. While you're there, try to talk to people in different roles and see what they do, how happy they are, and try to decide if what makes them happy would make you happy.

Also, look into Physician Assistant programs. Midlevels do 90% of the cool stuff MDs do while dodging 90% of the awful poo poo MDs have to put up with. If you're looking for something close to being a physician, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant might be more up your alley. Of the two, PA is probably the better option for someone without a nursing degree.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 5, 2010

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'd heavily dissuade anyone feeling "meh" about medical school from leaping over to nursing. The two are worlds apart.

This. And there are a lot more jobs in the health care field besides nursing and medicine. Besides physician's assistant, which would probably indeed be a good fit for you, there's physical therapy, respiratory therapy, lab workers and researchers, pharmacists; many social workers work out of hospitals, too. Heck, there are many, many different specialties in medicine and nursing: pediatrics, surgery, labor and delivery, cardiology, psychiatry, hospice, to name a few; there are busy hospital floors and quiet outpatient clinics, and everything in between. If you know anyone who works in health care, ask to shadow them. You might be surprised at all the different options out there.

The assumption of "I don't have the stamina to go through med school, so I should be a nurse," is a common one, but the jobs are very different. Nursing is much, much more hands on. I myself had no idea what nursing really entailed when I signed up for the program, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Not everyone in my class was so lucky, and a lot of people wasted a lot of time and money. If you really want to be a doctor, don't let the workload dissuade you. But know that a nursing school isn't a breeze, either.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just finished up my first semester of nursing school, coming into it with absolutely zero medical experience. Honestly, I didn't find it too challenging although I'm sure it will pick up in the following semesters. The toughest part for me is getting over my nervousness when doing procedures that causes the patient pain (wound dressing changes). I guess I'm too empathetic at the moment, if thats possible.

My clinical experience (med/surg floor) was surprising in that there was a shitload of downtime for us students. We were assigned 1 patient, so after the morning vitals/give bath/ make bed chores, we typically just stood around until we repeat it in the afternoon. I got to do a couple of interesting things, such as doing a wound vac dressing change on a patient missing half her shoulder, and doing dressing changes for a patient that was shot 5 times. We do not get to do anything IV related until the third semester, so most of what we did was pretty mundane.

All in all, I'm happy with the way things are going and I live to see the next semester.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2010

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009
Anybody have any experience with Psych Nursing?

My girlfriend just finished her first semester and she's learned basically next to nothing, the only content she's learned is from her online only course where her common sense was more or less solidified. From the handouts I've seen her prof is awful, her assignments are basically one line saying "write an essay on ____" with no rubric. Every essay I've been assigned so far I've been given 1-2 full pages with mark breakdowns, etc. To me that's unacceptable. My friend who has completed the same program said the same thing about her, awful presentation of assignments and she gives students bad marks because they literally don't know what they are supposed to be writing about.

Another thing, they just wrote their final exam. Apparently so many students complained on their message boards that the prof had to look at each individual exam and omit every question where the majority of students got wrong, as the study guide the prof gave out was completely opposite of what they were told to study for.

It sucks because my girlfriend is getting extremely discouraged. Any other psych nurses care to chime in on the quality of their program?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

HollowYears posted:

Anybody have any experience with Psych Nursing?

My girlfriend just finished her first semester and she's learned basically next to nothing, the only content she's learned is from her online only course where her common sense was more or less solidified. From the handouts I've seen her prof is awful, her assignments are basically one line saying "write an essay on ____" with no rubric. Every essay I've been assigned so far I've been given 1-2 full pages with mark breakdowns, etc. To me that's unacceptable. My friend who has completed the same program said the same thing about her, awful presentation of assignments and she gives students bad marks because they literally don't know what they are supposed to be writing about.

Another thing, they just wrote their final exam. Apparently so many students complained on their message boards that the prof had to look at each individual exam and omit every question where the majority of students got wrong, as the study guide the prof gave out was completely opposite of what they were told to study for.

It sucks because my girlfriend is getting extremely discouraged. Any other psych nurses care to chime in on the quality of their program?

I'm a psych RN, but I never heard of seperate psych programs for RN's, only NP and such. I finished a 4 year school, got a BSN. If you have any questions for me, shoot.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Axim posted:

I'm a psych RN, but I never heard of seperate psych programs for RN's, only NP and such. I finished a 4 year school, got a BSN. If you have any questions for me, shoot.

Axim, do you have any new viewpoints on working psych since you last posted about it a year ago? Are you still happy to be working psych compared to telemetry? Can you give us an example of what your day to day job is like?

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
I'm seriously thinking of starting a nursing degree in 2012, so I'll be following this thread with interest!

My mother's a nurse, so I know what nursing entails (gory bits and all), and I still want to do it. I'm going to try and do some health correspondence papers next year in preparation, as it's been a while since I've been at school.

I'm pretty excited, but 2012 is so far away.

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009

Miss Shell posted:

I'm seriously thinking of starting a nursing degree in 2012, so I'll be following this thread with interest!

My mother's a nurse, so I know what nursing entails (gory bits and all), and I still want to do it. I'm going to try and do some health correspondence papers next year in preparation, as it's been a while since I've been at school.

I'm pretty excited, but 2012 is so far away.
Yeah, this thread solidified my interest in becoming a nurse.

I just want to be the only person I know with a four year degree with a job :)

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009

Axim posted:

I live in Canada. We have a separate Psychiatric Nursing program. It's fairly new and is not widely accepted but its a growing field.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HollowYears posted:

Yeah, this thread solidified my interest in becoming a nurse.

I just want to be the only person I know with a four year degree with a job :)

I don't want to poop on your parade but from everything I've been reading/hearing, new grad nurses are having just as hard of a time finding a job. I think once you have that first year of experience, you can pretty much write your own ticket. It doesn't help that everyone and their sister has decided to become an RN since the economy went into the shitter.

RogueTrick
Oct 27, 2006
Reverend to the Pirate Nation

Hughmoris posted:

I don't want to poop on your parade but from everything I've been reading/hearing, new grad nurses are having just as hard of a time finding a job. I think once you have that first year of experience, you can pretty much write your own ticket. It doesn't help that everyone and their sister has decided to become an RN since the economy went into the shitter.

Depends on your location, but in some places this is certainly true.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Axim fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 16, 2010

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Hughmoris posted:

This is an interesting point and I would like the thread's opinion on the matter. I have seen so many girls just decide almost haphazardly that "yep, nursing is a great ticket to a job!" And it's not just girls I talk to, but browsing (stalking) people on facebook reveals pretty much the same thing. A flood of people that want to be either a nurse or a nurse practitioner.

Is it also the classic geographic distribution too? Tons of nursing jobs in Billings, Montana, but almost no nursing jobs in San Diego, California?

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009

RogueTrick posted:

Depends on your location, but in some places this is certainly true.

Nursing positions are basically nonexistent in western Canada but everywhere else it's stable.

I'm just saying, out of the several people I know with degrees, one of the only people I know that came out with a job is my friend who just finished his psych nursing degree. The rest are starving artists.

I'd love to get a degree in History or Anthropology but I love making money more than either of those so yeah.

nordavind
Mar 25, 2008
1st year nursing student from Norway here.

In Norway you're pretty much guaranteed a job after you graduate, however it will probably be in a nursing home, or part-time, which isn't exactly what new nurses want. They did a poll among the third year students at my school, and 95 % said that they had no interest working in a nursing home.

Luckily, being a male, I have a much better chance of scoring a job in a field I'm interested in. On a lot of psychiatric wards for example, there has to be 50 % men on a given shift.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Pretty sure that, here in NZ, you are almost guaranteed a job, even if you have to work in a rest home for a year. Lots of people with degrees go over to Australia for better pay, etc, and nursing is one of those areas that suffer. It's on the government's long-term shortage list, so if you want to come to NZ...

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Donkey Darko posted:

So, I just accepted a place on my Nursing DipHE pre-registration course at Stafford University. I am led to believe that my intake shall be one of the last diploma level (as opposed to degree level) intakes ever.

Am excited, and there is an NHS hospital right next to the campus, so that's convenient, assuming the majority of my placements are there.

Yep Diploma is going to die very soon, from what i have heard you did really well to get on Diploma - once it was announced that Nursing was going to go all Degree based lots of people took their last chance to jump on the Diploma.

Ive done all my placements in the same hospital, and combined with all the bank work I have done for the last couple of years, i think there are only 3 places in the hospital i havent worked in.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
How do you think the profession will be affected by the fact that everyone and their mother is flocking to nursing schools because they hear it's one of the fields that actually provides a living wage? There may be lots of jobs for people with experience now, but is there going to be for everyone that started a RN/BSN in 2008-2010 to flee the poo poo-tastic economy?

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

antwizzle posted:

How do you think the profession will be affected by the fact that everyone and their mother is flocking to nursing schools because they hear it's one of the fields that actually provides a living wage? There may be lots of jobs for people with experience now, but is there going to be for everyone that started a RN/BSN in 2008-2010 to flee the poo poo-tastic economy?

I don't know if that will affect the job market so much as the fact that nurses seem to be working longer (pushing back retirement) and working more hours per week. A lot of nurses I know used to work part time but now work full time because they need the money, or their spouse lost a job that gave them health insurance, for example. That shut out some new grads. However, it seems like it was harder to get into nursing school in the past two years. In 2008 my school had a record number of applicants, but they didn't open up any more seats in the program.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

antwizzle posted:

Everyone is attempting to flock to nursing, but I don't really think you're seeing a larger number of graduates than normal. There's still a ridiculous shortage of nursing instructors so the schools can't really increase capacity past what they normally admit. If anything, a larger pool of candidates trying to get into nursing school just for the money/job security means a larger number of people are going to discover it's not just holding someone's hand and saying "everything will be all right" like society/television has taught them about the profession.

I know out of my class of 80-84 people in level 1, we had at least 5-10 people bomb out before the end of the semester, and I'm sure there will be a quite a few more who failed because they needed something like a 90 on the final to pass the class.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

JAF07 posted:

Everyone is attempting to flock to nursing, but I don't really think you're seeing a larger number of graduates than normal. There's still a ridiculous shortage of nursing instructors so the schools can't really increase capacity past what they normally admit. If anything, a larger pool of candidates trying to get into nursing school just for the money/job security means a larger number of people are going to discover it's not just holding someone's hand and saying "everything will be all right" like society/television has taught them about the profession.

I know out of my class of 80-84 people in level 1, we had at least 5-10 people bomb out before the end of the semester, and I'm sure there will be a quite a few more who failed because they needed something like a 90 on the final to pass the class.
I gotta say, that's pretty awesome that the educators actually restrict admission like that, compared to the law school model of "we'll admit everyone, bleed them 100K of tuition, they can fend for themselves when they get out!". It seems to me like the health care field is unique in this -- perhaps due to the cost of expensive equipment & clinical training. I have heard it's very competitive to get in, which is good.

I have heard reports on a some scam degrees though, typically for-profit places like ITT tech and DeVry, where you get your degree without actually stepping foot in a hospital. In fact, I'm trying to talk a friend out of doing one of those right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Wait... Devry has a nursing program???

That is NOT going to end well. I'd heard of ITT's nursing school, and I know there's Apollo or whatever they're calling themselves.

Other news, starting prereqs at my community college, apparantly they have a basic skils check off before you can start your RN, which you can bypass with a CNA class, aside from checking a pulse/blood pressure, what else could this entail?