Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nous_ posted:

What happens if you click a "Local mom makes $4000/mo from home!" ad? Obviously it's a scam, but what do they actually try to sell you/get you to do? Presumably it's some kind of affiliate marketing thing, but they won't tell you until you give them your e-mail.

Quick Google search for "Local Mom Makes"

quote:

Okay. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that MY Jessica Holcomb has an unlisted phone number. So I click on Step 1 under her picture. It takes me to what I call a “Shout” page. It immediately starts yelling at me. . . “Congratulations on making it to this page!” and goes on to tell me how much money I can make with this kick-butt system they are pushing. It’s now asking me to fill out a form. I didn’t but clicked on it anyway and learned. . . I can now have this wonderful opportunity for the low, low, low price of only $49.99. . . but ONLY if I’m one of the next 17 people who sign up!!!

Basically you pay for an eBook and some lovely video on how to make money selling eBooks like the one you just got suckered into buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You'll have to have him measured, depending on his size he'll need anything from a 1/4-3/4, or if he's huge, even a full size violin.

Of course, this creates the whole problem of what to get him when he outgrows his size.

Is it some cardinal sin go get a kid a full sized violin and letting him grow into it? He's an average sized 8 year old, not a stumpy fingered little midget or anything.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Also, not to be the equivalent of the biking snobs, but there's really not any difference in quality for violins under $400 or so. They all kind of suck. Your best bet is to find a used one that's kind of beat up for a good price. If you look hard enough, you could probably find a decent used one for more like the $300 range, but don't expect a Stradivarius or anything.

Going from my experience, I know there is a world of difference between an $80 Rogue acoustic guitar and a $250 Washburn. The rogue would be an unplayable exercise in frustration for a beginner. I was hoping someone could direct me along the lines of "[x manufacturer] makes decent beginner violins in that price range, but stay away from [y manufacturer] because they use plastic tuning heads and have problems with the heel joint cracking".

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Can you afford to maybe pay for a rental contract through a local store there? Most music shops rent violins for band programs at various schools, that way if he's not to a full size yet, you can rent one (I think 1/2s were going for about $15-25 a month last time I worked at one), and upsize as needed, or return it when he inevitably loses interest.

A rental wouldn't normally be a bad idea, but she is in the military. She is probably not going anywhere for another 18 months, but you never know. It would just be much more convenient to shell out 200-300 and get her kid a violin he can keep and not have to worry about what happens if mom gets deployed and he has to go live with his grandmother or whatever. I'd also like this to be a surprise Christmas present.

As for losing interest, yes, you are probably right. In that case, I'll just take the damned thing back and learn to play it myself or find someone who will trade it for a mandolin.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it some cardinal sin go get a kid a full sized violin and letting him grow into it? He's an average sized 8 year old, not a stumpy fingered little midget or anything.

It'd be too big?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Loopyface posted:

It'd be too big?

Little kids learn how to play full sized guitars and full sized pianos. I was wondering if there was something specific to violins that would make an oversized instrument impossible to learn on.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

kapalama posted:

Not necessary a scam, but they definitely require the work from home people to buy materials.

Example: people who do medical billing from home make money from home, and have to pay for the materials to get started. So it's a scam, because you have to pay up front, but it's not a scam, because you can actually make money long term.

Ehhh, I'm gonna partially disagree with you on this one. Sure there are plenty of companies that have taken medical billing and turned it very, very scammy (especially the kind that advertise in cheap magazines), but it's actually a legitimate career and there are legitimate schools (which, yes, do require that you pay up front for your training). I am gonna disagree and say that paying up front doesn't make something a scam. I do medical transcription, and I paid $1600 for five months of training from an actual school. Sure, it was all online, but it was absolutely not scammy at all. I graduated and make $20+/hour working from home, so I don't think a blanketing statement like that really applies. That said, most of those stupid ads are probably either for those things where they pay you to stuff envelopes or you sell crappy crap from their warehouse on your crappy crap website or something.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

e: nvm I think I found a better thread for this

Dacke fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 6, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

chachu posted:

Ehhh, I'm gonna partially disagree with you on this one. Sure there are plenty of companies that have taken medical billing and turned it very, very scammy (especially the kind that advertise in cheap magazines), but it's actually a legitimate career and there are legitimate schools (which, yes, do require that you pay up front for your training). I am gonna disagree and say that paying up front doesn't make something a scam. I do medical transcription, and I paid $1600 for five months of training from an actual school. Sure, it was all online, but it was absolutely not scammy at all. I graduated and make $20+/hour working from home, so I don't think a blanketing statement like that really applies. That said, most of those stupid ads are probably either for those things where they pay you to stuff envelopes or you sell crappy crap from their warehouse on your crappy crap website or something.

My point was that people tend to blanket label the idea that paying for materials makes it a scam, simply because you have to pay up front, when there are lots of people making a living WORKING AT HOME doing something that they had to pay up front for.

My point: Payng up front does not make it a scam, even though people tend to dismiss pay up front as such. (same as your point basically).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Where's the bra megathread gone? Has it been archived?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
It's in W&W now.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

SkunkDuster posted:

It's hard for little 8 year old fingers to fret a violin properly. Imagine trying to teach an 8 year old the 4-string fingering for a 13th chord (the one where your pinky is 2 frets higher on the 1 string). There's no chance he can do it on a full size guitar, but give him a smaller guitar where the frets are closer together and he might be able to.

Basically, it's not a cardinal sin by any means, but unless he's larger than average, it's going to make things very frustrating for him because he won't be able to play in tune more than likely.

quote:

Going from my experience, I know there is a world of difference between an $80 Rogue acoustic guitar and a $250 Washburn. The rogue would be an unplayable exercise in frustration for a beginner. I was hoping someone could direct me along the lines of "[x manufacturer] makes decent beginner violins in that price range, but stay away from [y manufacturer] because they use plastic tuning heads and have problems with the heel joint cracking".

If you must buy a beginner, the Hoffman Maestro is of a fairly decent quality and around $275. Also look at the Scott Cao student or the Gliga Gems I. All at the top end of your price range, but decent. Again, nothing special, but the binding won't come apart or anything.

Anything else that's a step up in quality, there's a pretty big jump, you're going to be looking at a Fein Amati Sonata or something that's 600-800 bucks. If you can find one used for cheaper, great, but violins don't really lose value as quickly as electric guitars, so deals can't be found on used ones as easily.

Ideally, you would be able to go to a luthier or violin shop and have someone play it for you. That's really the only way to tell if it's crap or not, but if you must order online, those models mentioned above are pretty consistent in quality from my experience.

Hope that answers all your questions. Again, I would have your friend measure her son's wingspan and tell us what it is, then I can tell you how bad buying a full size for him would be.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

kapalama posted:

My point was that people tend to blanket label the idea that paying for materials makes it a scam, simply because you have to pay up front, when there are lots of people making a living WORKING AT HOME doing something that they had to pay up front for.

My point: Payng up front does not make it a scam, even though people tend to dismiss pay up front as such. (same as your point basically).

Oh! I totally misunderstood your point, sorry. I guess I'm just on the defensive because every time my job gets brought up, someone inevitably asks "oh, that scam thing?" when it's very much a legitimate job that pays more than any other job I could get.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's in W&W now.

Thank you. :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I deactivate the webcam on my Acer notebook in Windows 7?

Never mind, found it in Device Manager.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 7, 2010

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
How do I convert a .cdb file to something like XLS or CSV?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Can the network at my dorm throttle .torrent files?

not the actual torrent but the 25k file that links you to the seeders. because trying to download one of those takes forever while bigger files on other websites load no problem

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

They've probably got some sort of traffic shaping in place so that torrents receive a lower priority over types of network activity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Drimble Wedge posted:

They've probably got some sort of traffic shaping in place so that torrents receive a lower priority over types of network activity.

He's not talking torrents. He's talking the .torrent file you download to start a torrent.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

wigtrade.cc posted:

not the actual torrent but the 25k file that links you to the seeders. because trying to download one of those takes forever while bigger files on other websites load no problem

Absolutely. My university used to packet shape both torrent traffic and .torrent files themselves. It wasn't a huge deal, they would just limit it to like 1kb/s, so it would eventually download, and then I was able to use the uTorrent encrypted packets feature to get around the torrent shaping itself.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

wigtrade.cc posted:

It's possible, yes. It's also possible that wherever you're downloading the .torrent file from is just serving files more slowly than other websites where you're downloading other files. If you want to test it, get a 25k file, say an image or something, and rename it from image.jpg to image.torrent. (It's not really a torrent, but your university's firewall might mistake it for one.) Host it somewhere that's not going to change the extension, or maybe just email it to yourself. If your university really is shaping downloads based off of file extension, this file will take as long as your real torrent files to download.

Tangentially, I'd be careful torrenting things when your University is your ISP. The labels/producers/etc seem to like targeting universities, and a HUGE percent of the time your uni will hand over your info without so much as a warrant.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Hope that answers all your questions. Again, I would have your friend measure her son's wingspan and tell us what it is, then I can tell you how bad buying a full size for him would be.

Yup, that was very informative. Thank you very much!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

wigtrade.cc posted:

Yes, as far as I'm aware this is quite possible. That's why some site/tracker packages give the option to download the .torrent file as a .txt file which can then have the extension changed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
(I don't have a TV.) Are those UPS whiteboard ads on TV still?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

kapalama posted:

(I don't have a TV.) Are those UPS whiteboard ads on TV still?

The ones with the postal service as the music? I haven't seen one in a while. They are doing the "We love logistics" ads now.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Physics lessons were a joke at my secondary school, so I'm not too sure about this thought that just occurred to me:

I have a full sink which I then drain. Does the weight of the liquid contribute to the speed at which it drains i.e. it drains faster initially then slows as the volume decreases? If the liquid drains in a vortex, it'll drain faster, so does that counteract the difference in flow rate resulting from a decreasing volume?

I feel dumb for not knowing this :(

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Do those "iron your clothes by shooting steam at them" gadgets work? Given the places they tend to show up i assume that they're junk, but something like that could be handy. It's not that I mind ironing, I'm just not that great at it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

DuckConference posted:

Do those "iron your clothes by shooting steam at them" gadgets work? Given the places they tend to show up i assume that they're junk, but something like that could be handy. It's not that I mind ironing, I'm just not that great at it.
Best $35.00 I ever spent.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
The top bar on google (the one with web, images, etc) is no longer loading for me. It's really annoying. I'm using the latest Firefox, have recently reinstalled it to try to fix it (it didn't fix it), I haven't changed any settings, I haven't disabled any scripts. What's going on?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Orzo posted:

The top bar on google (the one with web, images, etc) is no longer loading for me. It's really annoying. I'm using the latest Firefox, have recently reinstalled it to try to fix it (it didn't fix it), I haven't changed any settings, I haven't disabled any scripts. What's going on?

Are you getting redirected to the https version of the site? That doesn't have the top menu on it. There was an article on Lifehacker I think a week or two ago talking about a Firefox extension that will automatically redirect you to the encrypted versions of various sites (Google, facebook, Amazon, etc) where available. Did you happen to install something like that?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

stubblyhead posted:

Are you getting redirected to the https version of the site? That doesn't have the top menu on it. There was an article on Lifehacker I think a week or two ago talking about a Firefox extension that will automatically redirect you to the encrypted versions of various sites (Google, facebook, Amazon, etc) where available. Did you happen to install something like that?
No, it's definitely the http url. And I don't have any extensions.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I was really into a MUD once (a BBS doors game). It still has players. Back in the day, a license cost $600 for a BBS, and the rights are still owned by a company (it's not abandonware).

What would be the legality of making a not-for-profit independent creation based on that MUD, such as a Neverwinter Nights or Oblivion mod, and then maybe releasing that to people (if I were to ever actually finish it)? I'm talking a very large degree of similarity--the shape/layout of the world would correspond almost directly to those in the MUD and names would remain the same.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Gay Bean posted:

I was really into a MUD once (a BBS doors game). It still has players. Back in the day, a license cost $600 for a BBS, and the rights are still owned by a company (it's not abandonware).

What would be the legality of making a not-for-profit independent creation based on that MUD, such as a Neverwinter Nights or Oblivion mod, and then maybe releasing that to people (if I were to ever actually finish it)? I'm talking a very large degree of similarity--the shape/layout of the world would correspond almost directly to those in the MUD and names would remain the same.

Legality aside, in reality the worst that will happen with a not-for-profit mod borrowing obscure intellectual property is that you get a cease and desist letter. Also, are you 100% sure this isn't abandonware? I find it incredibly hard to believe that BBS software from the 90's could be given away, let alone sold.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This morning I vaguely ran a school bus stop sign. I treat those things as sacrosanct, but today I justified it by: 1) That bus is right before my parking ramp, 2) It usually sits there for five minutes, and 3) I made certain that I didn't pass when the sign was out and blinking. But it was in the motion of opening. And the bus's amber lights were on, which was a no-no. I figured it was equivalent to the red light going on just as you clear an intersection. The bus driver honked angrily at me. (Note that no children were in danger; they got on from the curb side, no one crossed the street) In the end, it didn't matter; the red light after it held me up. It wasn't worth it in the least, and now I'm feeling bad and wanting to throw myself upon the mercy of the city, instead of waiting 2 months or whatever for a citation to arrive in the mail, should one even arrive. Should I do this? Send an email or call in saying I was the rear end in a top hat who did it this morning? Or just go down to the station with my checkbook and get it over with? Looks like the penalty in Iowa is $330 (oy) so I'd rather not pay, but... would there be any consideration if I came forward today and said mea culpa? Or just wait it out and see if the driver took down my license (considering, thanks to the red light, he had ample time to do so)?

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 8, 2010

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If you're gonna get one then you're gonna get one. No sense in making it easier for them, the only thing turning yourself in is going to do is seal the deal so I'd just sit back and wait.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

DELETED posted:

If you're gonna get one then you're gonna get one. No sense in making it easier for them, the only thing turning yourself in is going to do is seal the deal so I'd just sit back and wait.

One thing that made me want to accelerate it was someone saying a cop visited him; but, he was a 16 year old, so perhaps that was why. I certainly don't need that poo poo happening.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Remember that in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Make them do the work to prove you're guilty. Since the cop didn't see you commit it, he has to do a little more work to prove you're guilty which might mean the cop just says screw it. Why would just up and give yourself away and erase any and all chance that you can get out of a potentially non-existent ticket? Kick back and don't talk to cops.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 8, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Golbez posted:

This morning I vaguely ran a school bus stop sign. I treat those things as sacrosanct, but today I justified it by: 1) That bus is right before my parking ramp, 2) It usually sits there for five minutes, and 3) I made certain that I didn't pass when the sign was out and blinking. But it was in the motion of opening. And the bus's amber lights were on, which was a no-no. I figured it was equivalent to the red light going on just as you clear an intersection. The bus driver honked angrily at me. (Note that no children were in danger; they got on from the curb side, no one crossed the street) In the end, it didn't matter; the red light after it held me up. It wasn't worth it in the least, and now I'm feeling bad and wanting to throw myself upon the mercy of the city, instead of waiting 2 months or whatever for a citation to arrive in the mail, should one even arrive. Should I do this? Send an email or call in saying I was the rear end in a top hat who did it this morning? Or just go down to the station with my checkbook and get it over with? Looks like the penalty in Iowa is $330 (oy) so I'd rather not pay, but... would there be any consideration if I came forward today and said mea culpa? Or just wait it out and see if the driver took down my license (considering, thanks to the red light, he had ample time to do so)?

dude, nothing's going to happen. Chill out and forget about it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Schweinhund posted:

dude, nothing's going to happen. Chill out and forget about it.

You're probably right. And if it does, it'll just be a mailed ticket. I'm just annoyed with actually being that tool who runs school bus stop signs. :( even if it wasn't fully extended and wasn't blinking

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

even if it wasn't fully extended and wasn't blinking

Sounds like you didn't actually do anything wrong, then?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds like you didn't actually do anything wrong, then?

He didn't honk and wave angrily for no reason. And apparently, when the amber lights on top of the bus start flashing, that's also required stopping. And, in the end, if he did take down my plate, it's my word against the word of a school bus driver, and we all know who wins that one. But, y'all have convinced me to calm down and wait and see what happens, if anything. It was probably just the annoyance of the moment at myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
I'm looking for a script to implement into this web design I'm working on. What I'd like to do is have 4 panels in the middle of the page, and when one is clicked have it expand to take up the whole space of the four panels. (Kind of like a zoom feature)

The panels will each have an image similar to an advertisement, and I'd like to have the ability to expand on each advertisement's info with out loading a new page/frame/etc.

Does any one know what/where I could look for such a thing?
If I'm not being clear I can upload a pic or two to further explain.

Thanks in advance for any leads!