Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Any starting tips for Demon's Souls? Sorry, I know it's probably been covered, but the thread is pretty big now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I'm gonna try to play Persona 3: FES again.

i know the basics with SMT games, what i need to know a bit more is about social links and time management. I seem to recall certain nights allowing you to build social links with certain people, but I don't remember the time frame where this works.

So, yeah, what social links have a limited time frame? Anything i should keep in mind vis-a-vis social links?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

upperthorax posted:

Any starting tips for Demon's Souls? Sorry, I know it's probably been covered, but the thread is pretty big now.

I think one of the most important tips is be prepared to die and don't look up cheese tactics for bosses on the wiki. The whole joy of DS is the sense of discovery, the very many "Oh, poo poo!" moments and the pure thrill of finally beating a boss and the sense of accomplishment that comes with it. I personally feel that is ruined by relying on the wikis rather than learning the game yourself. I think the wikis are great for builds and figuring out what certain items do but I stay away from level walkthroughs or boss strategies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

upperthorax posted:

You will die. A lot. If the thought of running back to your corpse over and over again until you learn every enemies pattern, every trap, and every gently caress up you've made doesn't sound appealing just stop now.

Otherwise
  • You'll want to carry weapons of various types (slashing, piercing, etc) as enemies have weaknesses versus specific types and it can make a world of difference.
  • A good shield is a lifesaver and, if you value your sanity, all but mandatory.
  • You can't level up until you beat the first boss, who is weak v fire like those bombs the enemies drop spew out.
  • The best order for the first levels is 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, and then you can debate if you want to try 4-1/5-1 or 2-2. Basically, keep rotating through all the levels. Often gear you find in one will be vital in another.
  • Don't worry about world tendency unless you must min-max.
  • To reiterate: You will die. A lot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

21stCentury posted:

i know the basics with SMT games, what i need to know a bit more is about social links and time management. I seem to recall certain nights allowing you to build social links with certain people, but I don't remember the time frame where this works.

So, yeah, what social links have a limited time frame? Anything i should keep in mind vis-a-vis social links?

Basically all of the Social Links are time restricted, more or less. Each one can only be done on certain days of the week, and school links can't be done during summer break, ect. Party member S-Links will sometimes be unavailable due to plot reasons or studying for exams or whatever. Then sometimes you won't have high enough Social Stats to start a link. You probably can't max out every S-Link on the first playthrough unless you are using a guide the whole way; there's only a few days of leeway total; NG+ has a lot more freedom. If you aren't going for all of them, you get some of the best end-game Persona from Sun, Tower, Star and Devil. Strength is also a good option earlier on.
You'll probably be spending most of your time levelling up Courage, Knowledge and Charm, the Arcade is one of the best sources.
Also dating ladies is a mess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

21stCentury posted:

Emperor, Chariot, Strength, Star, and Aeon are the ones I think you should really go out of your way to max out. Emperor in particular nets you a Persona that is quite vital in killing Death, which unlocks an area that is the best place in the game to grind. Otherwise you'll hit a wall in Tartarus and be unable to really get any stronger because the enemies on the top floors will net you poo poo Experience.

By the way, you will likely have more days than you know what to do with to max out your non-school Social Links. So make sure you take advantage of your school days and not spend them doing non-school S. Links.

You of course want to max out as many as possible. An important thing to keep in mind is that as you gain levels, it takes longer for you to get tired. Ideally you want to finish a Tartarus block ASAP in as few trips as possible, and you need to know that you can go farther and farther as you gain levels. That way the sooner you finish up a Tartarus run, the more nights you can allot to the arcade and studying. Don't be afraid to get Tired, you can visit the nurse at the school to gain Courage anyway.

The bonuses at the Arcade are overall your best bet at maxing out Courage/Charm/Academics. Try to pay attention to what days the games are available and plan accordingly.

Or you could use a guide every step of the way and get everything.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 6, 2010

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
So, I should focus on school social links first and foremost during school days? Those are, IIRC, the school council and classmates, right?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've just started playing The Last Remnant and I have a quick question. I'm running off with to go to some conference thing, and I've just gotten the ability to make 3 unions with 9 units. The 4 generals and Dave have joined the party, but I'm wondering if they'll actually stay in it this time? I've gotten enough people to fill all my unions without them, but I don't want to leave them under leveled if they're actually going to be permanent characters instead of disappearing at the next cutscene...

quote:

So, I should focus on school social links first and foremost during school days? Those are, IIRC, the school council and classmates, right?

I've only played vanilla, but pretty much yes. If school is open, you should be seeing school people. There are a couple of other things to bear in mind as well (unless they changed it in FES):

1) If you don't see somebody for a long enough time (6-8 weeks I think), the person will get mad at you and the relationship will go into reversal (which means you'll have to waste a few days apologizing to them to fix the relationship)

2) At some point when seeing a girl, it will say that she'll get upset if you start seeing another girl. I'm not sure of exactly what triggers the reversal though, since I did a full walkthrough assisted run once, just to 100% it, and the walkthrough had me dating multiple girls at one point without them getting mad.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Gerblyn posted:

1) If you don't see somebody for a long enough time (6-8 weeks I think), the person will get mad at you and the relationship will go into reversal (which means you'll have to waste a few days apologizing to them to fix the relationship)

2) At some point when seeing a girl, it will say that she'll get upset if you start seeing another girl. I'm not sure of exactly what triggers the reversal though, since I did a full walkthrough assisted run once, just to 100% it, and the walkthrough had me dating multiple girls at one point without them getting mad.

The trigger for two is the same as one - go long enough without seeing a girl (60 days, I believe), and the relationship will go into reversal. The issue is that the timer goes down in two ways: one day for each day that passes, and fifteen days each time you date a different girlfriend. So there's no problem with dating four girls at once, you just have to be careful and make sure you don't schedule one girl such that there's more than three dates with other girls between dates with her.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

21stCentury posted:

Just kinda go with what you want. The benefit of social links is pretty minor IMO. As someone said theres I think like 10 days of leeway assuming you do a perfectly optimum run and without a guide you wont be able to do that. So just kinda go with it and save a 100% run for another time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barudak posted:

Don't be afraid to play on easy or cheat, the combat is pretty much awful throughout and to be avoided.

While I appreciate the general sentiment of "the game story and dialogue is so good that it is worth any impediment to appreciate," I have never understood the hate for Planescape: Torment's combat. Not only is it basically the same as the combat in all other Infinity engine games, which is to say pretty good, it is at times my favorite of all of them due to the infinite power the Nameless One can wield through things like a 25 STR. Or, so I hear, amazing magic spells (I do not think I ever cast a single spell in the game that was not having Falls-From-Grace cast healing, nor became a mage).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Personally, I don't like the combat in any IE game, so my dislike for PS:T's combat is entirely consistent. I find the AD&D ruleset to be cumbersome, inconsistent and messy and realtime-with-pausing party-based combat gives me a rash.

I actually think that PS:T's combat is the best of all of them; it's generally quite easy, and thus merely clunky and boring, rather than keyboard-snappingly rage-inducing because a randomly spawned group of archers just instantly slaughtered your entire party from offscreen. Also, there's less of it.

That said, the high level spells in PS:T are really quite awesome and you might want to play through it as a mage sometime.

MECHANUS CANNOOOOON

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 7, 2010

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Any tips for someone just starting out in Killing Floor? I'm going as a Firebug if it makes any difference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quarex posted:

While I appreciate the general sentiment of "the game story and dialogue is so good that it is worth any impediment to appreciate," I have never understood the hate for Planescape: Torment's combat. Not only is it basically the same as the combat in all other Infinity engine games, which is to say pretty good, it is at times my favorite of all of them due to the infinite power the Nameless One can wield through things like a 25 STR. Or, so I hear, amazing magic spells (I do not think I ever cast a single spell in the game that was not having Falls-From-Grace cast healing, nor became a mage).

IE games all have the same clunky, start-stop combat where pausing is necessary to avoid something critically irritating from happening. Sometimes you can't even avoid that, ARCHERS. The game also suffers from D&D 2e and all its associated shortcomings, which let it be said was also a woeful system in the pen and paper game.

Much less, there is no need to waste time on all the rats and other trash mobs in the game since they add literally nothing to the story other than padding. The nameless one cannot die, so therefore he will win eventually. Lets not make it take more time, ok? Sure, the combat against bosses, people you pick fights against via dialog, and other key events are neat in a story sense but they're still incredibly dull affairs to actually participate in.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Gerblyn posted:

I've just started playing The Last Remnant and I have a quick question. I'm running off with to go to some conference thing, and I've just gotten the ability to make 3 unions with 9 units. The 4 generals and Dave have joined the party, but I'm wondering if they'll actually stay in it this time? I've gotten enough people to fill all my unions without them, but I don't want to leave them under leveled if they're actually going to be permanent characters instead of disappearing at the next cutscene...

It is worth it to keep them in your unions. I haven't played it for a while so I can't remember if they will be disappearing again, but they are permanent members.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Vidaeus posted:

It is worth it to keep them in your unions. I haven't played it for a while so I can't remember if they will be disappearing again, but they are permanent members.

I think there's a short period where they do go away again, but it's only for one or two missions. It's worth it to keep them in your party since they're really, really good.

Edit: I want to say you go back to the castle and they go "hey, see ya later" and leave your party, but join immediately after you leave the city again.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 7, 2010

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any tips for someone just starting out in Killing Floor? I'm going as a Firebug if it makes any difference.

The pistol is your best friend early on in normal/easy difficulty. The one thing I'd watch out for mid to late game is Scrakes (chainsaw dudes) since they're fairly hardy, can give a good sprint when pissed off and if you're caught in a bad situation will be big damage dealers. In a way they're almost worse than Fleshpounds since Fleshpounds don't occur as regularly so the entire team can focus their efforts on the Fleshpounds but a handful of Scrakes can be extremely bad if you haven't prepared yourself for them. I'm no expert on Killing Floor to be honest so my inexperienced solution for Scrakes has always been explosives or a heavy melee weapon even if I'm not playing Berserker or Demolitions.

----

Anyone got any starting tips on Rogue Galaxy? I played it once years ago and gave up in frustration in the jungle area (Where the game officially starts) and the difficulty spike sneaks up on you like some kind of serial rapist. So I've settled to just start totally anew, oblivious to all my former strategies.

Arctic fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2010

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

I think there's a short period where they do go away again, but it's only for one or two missions. It's worth it to keep them in your party since they're really, really good.

Edit: I want to say you go back to the castle and they go "hey, see ya later" and leave your party, but join immediately after you leave the city again.

Yeah, that bit just happened, hence me getting a bit paranoid. Another quick question, people kept babbling at me to go and get some Goslin Copper or something, so I went and mined some. How do I actually give it to the guys? Also, there seem to be weapons I can make which I can't equip myself. I made one (the Stone Sword), just to see what happens. What should I do with it now? Will one of my team members suddenly go "I'll have that!" like they do with accessories sometimes?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, that bit just happened, hence me getting a bit paranoid. Another quick question, people kept babbling at me to go and get some Goslin Copper or something, so I went and mined some. How do I actually give it to the guys? Also, there seem to be weapons I can make which I can't equip myself. I made one (the Stone Sword), just to see what happens. What should I do with it now? Will one of my team members suddenly go "I'll have that!" like they do with accessories sometimes?

You can manually equip weapons on party members, but every now and then they will go "hey I'll grab <x>" for a weapon, and it's always worth it to give it to them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

You can manually equip weapons on party members, but every now and then they will go "hey I'll grab <x>" for a weapon, and it's always worth it to give it to them.

Ah, okay. I guess that must be something that unlocks later? I just tried it on the "Check Equipment" screen, and I couldn't find a way of actually changing the equipment...

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I just started Shining Force 2 for the Sega Megadrive. Since I'm playing it on the Ultimate Collection I'm basically playing blind, and have no idea what stuff like Terrain Effect is. Can anyone give me a short rundown of the essential stuff I need to know not to totally screw myself over?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Terrain increases your defense by a percent and reduces your movement. Stat boost items increase your points by up to 4 or 5 if its possible. Click on anything and everything inside and outside of towns to find stuff. Get a guide for item locations as Mithril appears in that one mountain block ten screens from any town. Mithril weapons are made from a random list of several outcomes and mostly depend on the person you make it for.

Super difficulty is bugged to give enemies a ton of attack.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, that bit just happened, hence me getting a bit paranoid. Another quick question, people kept babbling at me to go and get some Goslin Copper or something, so I went and mined some. How do I actually give it to the guys?

There are a few ways and they're all kind of annoying:

- If you mine a component that someone needs, they'll get a copy automatically.
- If they have asked you for the component specifically, and you buy one from the store, they'll buy one too.
- They'll ask for components they need after battle if enemies drop them.
- If you split a monster and one of the pieces is something someone needs, they'll take a copy.
- If you break apart an item at the smith, they can get components from that as well. I don't recall if they need to have asked specifically for that component or not. But this is the only way to get certain high end materials.

quote:

Will one of my team members suddenly go "I'll have that!" like they do with accessories sometimes?

Yup. But the item has to be vaguely on that character's 'item path' for that to happen. Sometimes this is obvious (like a guy uses hand axes and you buy a better hand axe), sometimes its not. Keep in mind that any time someone 'borrows' an item, you are never getting it back.

Gerblyn posted:

Ah, okay. I guess that must be something that unlocks later? I just tried it on the "Check Equipment" screen, and I couldn't find a way of actually changing the equipment...

You have to edit a setting in the ini file to do this. It's kind of screwy though, because they may override what you have them equipped with when they upgrade their weapons. You certainly don't need this to play the game, but you may prefer it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are a few ways and they're all kind of annoying:

Ugh, that is a pain, why on earth can't you just give them the stuff you're already carrying? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Faerie Fortune posted:

Play it with friends. Seriously, Killing Floor has some of the BEST co-op in a game that I've seen in a long time. Playing it alone or with pubs is just ruining the experience.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Frankosity posted:

I just started Shining Force 2 for the Sega Megadrive. Since I'm playing it on the Ultimate Collection I'm basically playing blind, and have no idea what stuff like Terrain Effect is. Can anyone give me a short rundown of the essential stuff I need to know not to totally screw myself over?

There are certain items that you can find to allow you to promote certain characters to certain classes. Look up their locations. IIRC,

Vigor Ball: Priest -> Master Monk
Pegasus Wing: Knight -> Pegasus Knight
Silver Tank: Archer -> Brigand?
???: Mage -> Summoner
???: Warrior -> Baron

With the exception of the archer upgrade, these are all worth taking the time to find, ESPECIALLY the Vigor Ball. Master Monks have the highest attack in the game, turning your healer into a loving machine.

Summon magic works differently than other magic. First, when you promote to a summoner, you lose all your spells. That's fine. However, where as regular spells deal a set amount of damage regardless of the number of targets, summon magic deals a large amount of damage spread out over the number of targets. So if you cast DAO on one guy you might do 30 damage, but on 3 you might do 18 each. Keep that in mind.

e: Also, and this is only important for min/maxing, you can promote your characters at level 20. However, before promoting, you can continue to level them up to level 40 in their base class if you choose. When you promote them, they will go back down to level 1 and have a max of 99, so in order to truly max their stats you'd want those extra 20 level-ups before promotion.

Cliff fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 7, 2010

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Captain Failcon posted:

Faerie Fortune posted:

Play it with friends. Seriously, Killing Floor has some of the BEST co-op in a game that I've seen in a long time. Playing it alone or with pubs is just ruining the experience.

If you do end up playing with pubs, best advice is to just follow them around & do what they do. Even if they aren't talking/typing instructions you can pick up strategies for the various enemies just by seeing who they target & in what order (of course, the better you do in that round the more you value that round's strategy, as if you get wiped immediately it's obviously best not to repeat your actions from that round).

As a new player, I'd say ignore the Fleshpounds (the big things with the yellow cores that turn red when they enrage) unless at least 1 other person is shooting at them, because you're just going to make them mad by trying to nibble away their HP with your weak weaponry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cliff posted:

There are certain items that you can find to allow you to promote certain characters to certain classes. Look up their locations. IIRC,

Vigor Ball: Priest -> Master Monk
Pegasus Wing: Knight -> Pegasus Knight
Silver Tank: Archer -> Brass Gunner
Secret Book: Mage -> Sorceror
Warrior Pride: Warrior -> Baron

With the exception of the archer upgrade, these are all worth taking the time to find, ESPECIALLY the Vigor Ball. Master Monks have the highest attack in the game, turning your healer into a loving machine.

Summon magic works differently than other magic. First, when you promote to a summoner, you lose all your spells. That's fine. However, where as regular spells deal a set amount of damage regardless of the number of targets, summon magic deals a large amount of damage spread out over the number of targets. So if you cast DAO on one guy you might do 30 damage, but on 3 you might do 18 each. Keep that in mind.

e: Also, and this is only important for min/maxing, you can promote your characters at level 20. However, before promoting, you can continue to level them up to level 40 in their base class if you choose. When you promote them, they will go back down to level 1 and have a max of 99, so in order to truly max their stats you'd want those extra 20 level-ups before promotion.
Some special promotions are horrible. Your golf cart Brass Gunner characters are slow as hell. The Pegasus Knights have high hp and no defense, but they ignore terrain. Barons don't get the defense boost in place of their swords.
There are hidden game modes with fast play and enemy control. There is also a timed battle.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 7, 2010

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Some special promotions are horrible. Your golf cart Brass Gunner characters are slow as hell. The Pegasus Knights have high hp and no defense, but they ignore terrain. Barons don't get the defense boost in place of their swords.
There are hidden game modes with fast play and enemy control. There is also a timed battle.

I think the Pegasus Knights are worth it because mobility is everything in this game. Case in point, keeping Warriors/Gladiators in your party tends to be an issue as they have a hard time getting to the frontlines at the same time as, frankly, the battle.

Brass Gunner: +def -spd
Master Monk: +atk +being a badass
Summoner: gets summon magic
Pegasus Knight: ignores terrain
Baron: +mov -def

e: but I'm with you on Brass Gunners. Frankly, I don't keep the archers around anyway, except Mae, as she has enough mobility (outside of forests and deserts) to keep her useful.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Captain Failcon posted:

I have a couple of friends who play with me and are helping me learn the game but one is Support and the other's Medic, with no levels in Firebug so while they can help me out with general tactics and stuff, when it comes to class specific stuff I'm on my own. All I know so far is that setting fire to Fleshpounds is a bad idea no matter how fun it looks.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Just picked up Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed II, both on Xbox 360. School me. I already know I should probably be playing Fallout on a PC, but well, it was cheap.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Fallout 3

It's possible to skip entire sections of the main storyline accidently. To avoid doing so, do not visit Rivet City (the aircraft carrier) or The Jefferson Memorial until instructed to do so.

When hacking computers, look for closed brackets around unintelligible symbols e.g. [&^%#^///!%&$]. Selecting them will make the hacking process easier.

Hoard any undestroyed pre-war books and Nuka Cola Quantums, there are specific people that are looking for them.

Don't skip picking up the Medicine bobblehead off of the doctor's desk in the early game.

Don't bother with the perk that gets you exp faster. The perk that gets you bonus points from reading books is worth getting though.

Assassin's Creed 2

Pour all your money into upgrading your villa. Make getting it maxed your top priority.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alris posted:

Fallout 3

When hacking computers, look for closed brackets around unintelligible symbols e.g. [&^%#^///!%&$]. Selecting them will make the hacking process easier.

Hoard any undestroyed pre-war books and Nuka Cola Quantums, there are specific people that are looking for them.

The hacking trick only works if the set of characters is on a single line, and sets will highlight when you mouse over the first character of them.

Also hoard scrap metal; you can get lots of caps (or karma, if you need it) by trading it in.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Arctic posted:

Anyone got any starting tips on Rogue Galaxy? I played it once years ago and gave up in frustration in the jungle area (Where the game officially starts) and the difficulty spike sneaks up on you like some kind of serial rapist. So I've settled to just start totally anew, oblivious to all my former strategies.

As a rough guess, I'm going to say you encountered a Mimic - they first appear on the Unbelievably loving Retarded Jungle Planet and are by far the hardest thing you're going to encounter there. The strategy for those is basically "run in a circle around them, dodge their fireball (it curves slightly, so watch out), return fire for a few shots, repeat". You'll want to keep your allies on hold and away from the mimic, since otherwise they'll charge into melee/get charged and get utterly murdered for it. Just keep it's attention on you and switch around if your pistol runs out, and you should be good. Later on you'll be able to paralyze them and attack in melee, which will wipe them out much quicker (especially with some sword boosts and attack multipliers), but for now you want to play it safe.

Other tips that may be useful early on:

- Don't sell weapons. You gain the ability to fuse weapons together on the Did They Seriously Think This Was A Good Idea Jungle Planet, and weapons are always more useful as fusing material than cash.

- Don't sell materials you can't buy more of. Later on you'll gain the ability to manufacture things, and stockpiling materials can get you some things ahead of time. At minimum, try and keep one of everything you find on hand - several recipes have "unknown" components, but like other recipes will refuse to let insert the wrong components. Having one of everything lets you run down the list and confirm what you actually need to be looking for.

- On a related note, your characters gain abilities by inserting items in their grid. You gain absolutely nothing from half-completed abilities, and a lot of them use rare materials, so waiting until you've got all the components before inserting them will make sure you don't waste an item you could have used elsewhere on an ability that also requires an item you won't see for five chapters. If you don't have enough of an item for everyone (and you won't) focus on getting abilities that will help and that you actually want/will use over filling out the grid for the sake of filling out the grid.

- The useless comedic relief character has no abilities you want. gently caress him. Don't even bother bringing him into battle if you're not an obsessive compulsive who has to complete everything.

- Don't forget about blocking. There are several situations where blocking will save your life in battle.

- When you get to Stereotypical Mobster But Still Better Than loving Jungle Planet, make drat sure you get the key from the bar as soon as you can, or you'll lose out on it for several chapters.

- As you may have guessed, the Jungle Planet loving sucks. It is the game basically going "We know we promised you a space opera, and don't worry, we're going to deliver! But you know, we had a bunch of absurdly racist 'lost jungle tribe' plot outlines just sort of lying around, gathering dust ever since people starting get embarrassed by them sometimes in the early 70's, and we figured 'might as well use them somewhere', you know? Anyway, enjoy your hodgepodge of every terrible concept we could shove in there, and we'll see you about that space opera in two chapters or so. Later!" Anyway, don't let it put you off. The game DOES get better.

- Seriously, the loving chief export of the planet is space fuel, but oh no, there's no fruit left to refine fuel from, and the natives are very restless about it and being very threatening to us with their scary masks and sharpened loving sticks, because they don't approve of us offworlders and our machines, no, they're going to solve the problem their own way, which involves appeasing the obvious loving monster Sun God in their ages old manner of human sacrifice (where ages old can't have been that loving long if this is the first anyone other than them has heard of it or even noticed that this utterly crucial fruit which can't be found anywhere else is loving gone), which the heroes must stop because it is ignoble and barbaric, but oh no we need to get past this obstacle how will we do it, oh look it is loving Little Sambo and his two brothers, all of whom were exiled from their village for daring to touch a loving machine and they all love and idolize space travel, so it's a good thing they didn't choose to leave with any of the ships who came here to gather fruit, or else we'd really be screwed - but I digress, sooner or later we get there right before the sacrifice, and oh look, the Sun God is an mindless loving monster who not only is the one eating all the fruit but is also the one attacked the sacrificial girl and her sister killing their mother, which happened like six years ago according to the flashback so so much for that "ages old" thing, I guess "human sacrifice" must have just had a lot of proporters at that town hall meeting or maybe I guess they really have just been sacrificing people to absolutely nothing for no reason for as long as they could remember, sure I'll buy that, can't expect anything better from those darkies, but ANYWAY you kill it and no one cares except the village elder who banishes the girl who helped you for [insert reason here], no seriously, insert reason there, I honestly can't even recall which stupid stereotype they chose to go with.

And then you get to a planet where a spaceship factory has been hijacked by a crazed former employee over the "former" part, and oh hey look the game is a fun space adventure again! Just endure the stupid loving jungle and move on and forget it ever happened. As a bonus, forgetting it will mean you can pretend the game just used aliens in place of minorities! Instead of, you know, shoving all the minorities in the middle of a loving jungle.

Christ I hated that planet.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Alris posted:

Fallout 3

Always use all but one of your attempts when first starting a hack. If you don't get through the hack on your first set of attempts, use your last attempt to look for the hidden codes Alris here is talking about.

This way, you don't waste the best hidden code reward which replenishes your attempt allowance, meaning your attempts are reset. Since you are not charged an attempt if you enter a hidden code, it's pointless to use one on your first attempt.

If you go through all the hidden bonus codes and still aren't through the hack, hit B to leave the terminal and try it again.

Also, sometimes, hidden codes can stack like this {xxx(xx)x}. There are 2 codes there, the smaller () and the bigger {}.

Hidden codes are held within open and closed sets of (, <, {, [, and maybe others. They will highlight just like words do if you hover over them, so they're pretty easy to spot. You can go through a whole screen character by character to find them, but you'll soon learn to spot em just by scanning the screen with your eyes.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

upperthorax posted:

After you beat 1-1 and unlock the other worlds, go to 4-1. When you can take a tunnel to the left, do so. Run through there, run past the evil black skeleton who will probably kill you, and grab the item down near his feet. It's pretty much the best weapon you can have in the early game.

Now that you have that, you can kind of branch off from there.

If you're a melee type of guy, go clean out 2-1. You'll get the chance for better upgrades for your weapons.

If you're a magical type of guy, go clean out 3-1. You'll the chance to learn better and more powerful spells.

Also, save the named Demon's Souls for later. Don't use them unless you're absolutely sure you're not going to need them to create a new weapon or learn a new spell.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

AnimalChin posted:

Also, sometimes, hidden codes can stack like this {xxx(xx)x}. There are 2 codes there, the smaller () and the bigger {}.

You can also use some twice. If your example was this: {xxx{xxx} you could get two bonuses out of that, from clicking the second { and then by clicking the first {.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Binowru posted:

Just picked up Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed II, both on Xbox 360. School me. I already know I should probably be playing Fallout on a PC, but well, it was cheap.

For Fallout 3, for your first time playthrough, you'll probably want to tag small guns, repair, and lockpick.

For a little bit of min/max playing, Charisma is considered by most players to be a fairly crappy stat, since it only affects your starting barter and speech, which aren't that useful. Intelligence, on the other hand, is good for all play types, since it affects the number of skill points you get when you level up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Astfgl posted:

You can also use some twice. If your example was this: {xxx{xxx} you could get two bonuses out of that, from clicking the second { and then by clicking the first {.

Finally if you just feel like straight up cheating, leave the hacking screen if youre completely out of attempts. It'll reset everything. Works for lockpicks too! (You get 3 mistakes before pins start breaking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Fallout 3
Skills to avoid Tagging
Energy Weapons - by the time you find good ones you'll be able to raise this skill plenty.
Sneak - Sneak has to get very, very high before the points you put in it start to actually make a difference. Just look up the "Silent Running" perk and make sure you have the required points by the time you hit that level.
Barter - Just pay attention to the weight/value ratio of everything around you and loot as much as you can, you'll have plenty of caps.

DO NOT set any S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats to 10 at creation, as every stat has a bobblehead you can pick up in the gameworld to raise that stat by 1. Also bear in mind you'll be able to get a permanent boost to STR or PER as a reward to a fairly simple quest that you'll get early on. Easy-to-find apparel can give you a +1 to PER and/or CHA.

There's also bobbleheads for each skill that give +10, and lots of books that give permanent +1 skill boosts (+2 if you take the comprehension perk, which you should). Bottom-line: don't bother leveling any skills to 100.