Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Borrego posted:

Anyone have any idea who the arrogant "comedian" who tried to bribe Marc Maron on this weeks WTF?
That one is a mystery. You'd think a comedian that has that money and "success" happening wouldnt care about what people thought and wouldnt try to buy his way into a podcast, but there we are.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

dancehall posted:

NEW YLNT? BE STILL MY HEART

unrelated: so, Nick Swardson is basically Andy Dick, right?

Except he says "YOU GUYS I AM SO DRUNK RIGHT NOW" all the time instead of doing coke.

Chexxum
Sep 24, 2002

Jesus Krist is :cool:
I didn't know who Chris Anderson was before listening to the latest Nerdist, but now I know he's an unfunny douche that's never heard of Bill Hicks and likes making GBS threads on Spinal Tap and other classic comedies :argh:.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!

NecronSchmecron posted:

I must say my opinion is the opposite of this. It was pretty boring for the most part. Scott should have gotten some people who can smoothly do improv if he's really so ill prepared.

Pumping puss guy wasn't as bad as Halloween episode with Cyber thugs or whatever those guys where. I have skipped more CDR podcasts than any other but then again it let me hear the hobbit song by Leonard Nemoy.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I'm new to CDR and really enjoyed Pastor Rhe, while skipping pretty much the entirety of the urban thugs episode. Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Chexxum posted:

I didn't know who Chris Anderson was before listening to the latest Nerdist, but now I know he's an unfunny douche that's never heard of Bill Hicks and likes making GBS threads on Spinal Tap and other classic comedies :argh:.

Yeah that was probably the first meh episode of the Nerdist that has been done so far. He probably should have let that one stay lost.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

I think the point of the joke is that it is really only marginally entertaining only for those playing it at the time.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Sock The Great posted:

I'm new to CDR and really enjoyed Pastor Rhe, while skipping pretty much the entirety of the urban thugs episode. Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

I think 'What Am I Thinking', while not hilarious, is entertaining. It helps if both people are really on the same page and one person is not totally high. There have been some funny ones in the past. Of course the best ones are when the people finally agree on the same thing at the same time. But that happens rarely on CDR. If someone is purposely spiking it then it extra sucks because its obvious and basically fucks the other person.

I really liked the Halloween episode. It was super childish. Especially all the cockenstein jokes. I also enjoyed Jerry Minor constantly shouting down the ear wolf app. Over all it may have been too long and that freestyle rap part could have been eliminated but whatever.

The only ghost rule is that GHOSTS RULE!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

King Lou posted:

I really liked the Halloween episode. It was super childish. Especially all the cockenstein jokes. I also enjoyed Jerry Minor constantly shouting down the ear wolf app. Over all it may have been too long and that freestyle rap part could have been eliminated but whatever.

The only ghost rule is that GHOSTS RULE!

This is how I feel about the episode. However, I did enjoy the Rap part. I guess I just found it fun.

And Ghoul rules are different than ghost rules, apparently. I learned a lot about how the paranormal works. CDR can be educational. :D

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

It's fun when both participants are into it and panicking to get to the next word. Otherwise yeah it's pretty dull. A good game though, just not for the show

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Something about discussion of iphone apps, system updates and angry birds in heaven struck me as hilarious. I felt like a dork in the elevator this morning, stifling laughter as co-workers stared at me.

The gimmick of seeing what an ad-libbed character can generate and recall shouldn't be nearly as amusing as it is.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

stray posted:

Dunno if this has been added yet, but Tank Riot is lots of fun to listen to and covers many different subjects.

I've discovered these guys about a month ago. It's such a good podcast. The Reagan episode was amazing.

Highly recommended.

cioxx fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 5, 2010

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I love Cyber Thug and he should totally get his own earwolf podcast. Scott was kinda killing the vibe for some of the holloween episode, imo.

I'm usually not a huge Jerry Minor fan either, but CT just works.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

Oh hey, listened to the Besser Sklarbro Country and discovered Asssscat! has a podcast. Time to find out how it works with audio only.

The eps can be found here: http://www.ucbcomedy.com/podcasts/asssscat/rss

I'm hoping its as hilarious as the live show.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Borrego posted:

Anyone have any idea who the arrogant "comedian" who tried to bribe Marc Maron on this weeks WTF?

Dan Nainan apparently. Not 100% sure though.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

JiveHonky posted:

Jesse Thorn is also the undisputed multiple time Galactic Champion of kissing rear end. Nobody has ever made love to a comedian's soft butt cheeks with his mouthparts like Thorn does and nobody ever will. Truly a pioneer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NecronSchmecron posted:

The only reason I haven't checked it out is because I'm not a huge fan of Jesse Thorn (except when he's on NNF, weird) and someone here described it being similar to UYD. I really am not into UYD.

It's an overt insult to mention Jesse Thorn and UYD in the same sentence. They are in no way alike, even in the slightest. UYD 4 LIFE!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

Dude. Throw out some of your PM's I can't respond to your phone message request.

Also, I used to find Jesse's utter amazement at the stars he gets to come to his house pleasing. Now I'm bored of it. I am amazed he was able to turn that podcast into such a giant enterprise. I actually have considered going to MaxFunCon to see if it was actually Max Fun...

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

King Lou posted:

Dude. Throw out some of your PM's I can't respond to your phone message request.

Done and done. Sorry.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

I have to say this is entirely untrue. His sincere joy of life and pursuit of fun is something I find inspiring.

Also: UYD is ok.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Borrego posted:

Anyone have any idea who the arrogant "comedian" who tried to bribe Marc Maron on this weeks WTF?

What did they try to bribe him to do?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The new Doug Loves Movies with Edgar Wright, Michael Cera, and Aubrey Plaza is fantastic.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Maerlyn posted:

The eps can be found here: http://www.ucbcomedy.com/podcasts/asssscat/rss

I'm hoping its as hilarious as the live show.

It's incredibly hard to hear, no one is mic'd properly, and a lot of the jokes are visual, so sadly, it doesn't really work. I have all the episodes ready to go, but they're not a "go-to" podcast for me. Shame, because it should be amazing.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

UltraRed posted:

What did they try to bribe him to do?

Let him appear on WTF.

There's a pretty convincing example of a Nainan mass e-mail on the AST forums, which closely matches the tone, language, and d-baggery of the e-mail Marc was reading.

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/wtf-marc-maron-podcast-14671/index56.html#post183166

quote:

From: "Dan Nainan, Comedian"
Date: June 10, 2010 7:30:04 PM EDT
To: [edited this out]
Subject: $8000 for a Show in Dubai! May I Gloat Just a Little Bit? Thank you.

Dear Friends,

I just received the initial deposit for a corporate show in Dubai that's coming up in a couple of weeks. The show pays $8000, yes, that's right, EIGHT THOUSAND US DOLLARS for less than one hour's work! And yes, I'll be flying in First Class as usual, in unbelievable luxury, with a flat bed! I'll be checking out the indoor ski range, surfing on the sand dunes, visiting the tallest building in the world and the world’s largest shopping mall, and luxuriating by the pool at my five star hotel. And yes, I will send pictures!

I know I shouldn't be gloating, and I know I should be spending my time working on my book in preparation for my upcoming meeting with my literary agent, and I know it really pisses off poor-rear end alcoholic drug addicted comedians when you tell them how much money you make, but when something like this happens, such as the $15,000 corporate show I did earlier this year in San Francisco, or dealing with the deluge of royalty checks from my Apple commercial ($22,000 so far and SAG health insurance, thank you), I just can't help but think about all the people who told me (and still tell me) that I'm a hack, and that I shouldn't be doing ethnic material, I'm a sellout, and so forth.

And you know the best part? They found me on YouTube! Yes, on YouTube, where one of my videos is approaching 800,000 views! Funny, a lot of the comedians who were on Premium Blend or Live at Gotham post their clips, and guess what... they get fewer views in a year than I get in a day! Why is that, do you think? Maybe it's because the pablum that the industry forces down the throats of their viewers JUST. ISN'T. FUNNY! That's the beauty of the Internet -- disintermediation -- for you mental midgets that means that the middlemen such as managers and agents are becoming less and less important, because anybody can post anything on the Internet, and if it's funny or entertaining, then by golly people will send it to each other!

I can't help but think about all the club bookers in New York that turned me down and continue to turn me down, about all the comedians who brag about their "credits" on Premium Blend, Live at Gotham, Jimmy Kimmel and Comics Unleashed who still have day jobs and drive hundreds of miles to their crappy occasional gigs that pay three digits and that get drunk and smoke weed after the shows and stay up till the early morning.

I can't help but think about the witty, clever New York comics who are passed at all the clubs, whom you can't even recognize if you haven't seen them in a year or two because they have aged so much…oh, the joy and the schadenfreude.

I can't help but think about the comic who made fun of my physical appearance from the stage when I didn't even know him -- yes, making fun of another comic - I thought that was verboten, whom I saw working in a crappy restaurant the other day and exhibiting a serious case of avoirdupois.

I can't help but think about a highly embonpoint female comic A who went into an apoplectic hysterical conniption fit because I dared to admonish her for talking loudly with her female comic friend B while I was on stage, and then being cautioned the next day by another female comic C who said that I should be “very careful” because “word travels fast”, and female comic A “has a lot of credits” and is “very connected in the industry”.

Yes indeed, I'll be reminiscing about all of this on the long plane ride to the Emirates... with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

SKULE123 posted:

Let him appear on WTF.

There's a pretty convincing example of a Nainan mass e-mail on the AST forums, which closely matches the tone, language, and d-baggery of the e-mail Marc was reading.

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/wtf-marc-maron-podcast-14671/index56.html#post183166

Wow. That was pretty interesting. That guy is so bitter! He has a point about the respect thing but his comedy isn't really very good. Maron should have him on and see what the gently caress is wrong with him. Although he sounds delusional about his comedy skill. He has a successful set that works but he doesn't appear to be quick on his feet. This is me judging with almost no exposure. HOW WILL IT PLAY OUT!?!!1

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."

SKULE123 posted:

Let him appear on WTF.

There's a pretty convincing example of a Nainan mass e-mail on the AST forums, which closely matches the tone, language, and d-baggery of the e-mail Marc was reading.

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/wtf-marc-maron-podcast-14671/index56.html#post183166

Wow, I'd never heard of this douche before now, but jesus, what an arrogant oval office.

EDIT: Had to look him up on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_iYKigxRU
Are all of his loving jokes about his race? Mad hackiness.

The Banned fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 5, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Just saw some of the dude's video. I chuckled at the burning question mark but nothing really else. Turned it off when he did the thing about the Japanese not showing a lot of emotion. In 2010, yeah, this guy is a bit hackey. Is his entire act racial humor? I guess some people are more into it, but I kind of get bored of it if it goes on too long.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

soru posted:

The new Doug Loves Movies with Edgar Wright, Michael Cera, and Aubrey Plaza is fantastic.

Cera's response to the question if people ever give him stuff was a great callback.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The Banned posted:

Wow, I'd never heard of this douche before now, but jesus, what an arrogant oval office.

EDIT: Had to look him up on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_iYKigxRU
Are all of his loving jokes about his race? Mad hackiness.

This is actually one of the only stand-up sets I've never even cracked a smile at. He might be the antithesis of humor. gently caress HIM.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Jesus, what a douchebag.

E: Maybe Kyle Cease can help him out LOL.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Cera didn't say a lot on DLM, but most everything he said was comedy gold. I hope he has Wright on again, ideally with Tarantino. The Leonard Maltin game will be glorious.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The Halloween CDR was fantastic. It just seemed like a really fun place to be with all those guests in a room at the same time, all playing characters (some better than others). The absurdity of "The Monster gently caress" was hilarious, too.

This week's CDR was pretty good too, but yeah...Gemberling wasn't at his best here. In fact, I think the only thing that made this episode so funny was Scott and Doug running with jokes like the airplanes flying through clouds.

Also, I just want to say that after starting to tire of Doug Loves Movies over the past few weeks, the Swardson/Hardwick/Kroll show was a fantastic breath of fresh air for the show. It was funnier than the show had been in a while and all the guests interacted with each other really well. I've been convinced not to give up on DLM.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Glad I found this thread, I had been listening to most of these podcasts for quite a while now.

Has Stop Podcasting Yourself been mentioned? Not especially laugh out loud worthy, but still enjoyable. The Jon Dore second appearance episode I maintain is one of the funniest podcast episodes I've ever heard. Similarly, Jon Dore's appearance on Sklarbro Country was equally magical. "HENDERSON THROUGH THE BACK DOOR!" gets me chuckling just thinking about it, as did "Feigl matter".

Kodo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 7, 2010

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jon Dore calling his sister could very well be the funniest thing I've heard.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

Mt. Modular posted:

Also, I just want to say that after starting to tire of Doug Loves Movies over the past few weeks, the Swardson/Hardwick/Kroll show was a fantastic breath of fresh air for the show. It was funnier than the show had been in a while and all the guests interacted with each other really well. I've been convinced not to give up on DLM.
I know it's just a cheap pun, but I almost ran off the road from laughing so hard when I was listening to this episode and "Maid in Manhattan: Full Blown Maids" got mentioned.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!

DrVenkman posted:

Cera didn't say a lot on DLM, but most everything he said was comedy gold. I hope he has Wright on again, ideally with Tarantino. The Leonard Maltin game will be glorious.

Cera showing how broken the Leanard Maltin game is though if you have apathetic players.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Godspell posted:

Cera showing how broken the Leanard Maltin game is though if you have apathetic players.

I love a game that can be won as easily by being a dick as it can by being the smartest man in the world.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am on episode 42 of UYD, and I am really enjoying it. My favorite bit is "This week in Florida" just because of the kooky nonsense that always seems to pop up in that state. I have listened to a few of their latest ones and I don't recall hearing a "This week in Florida." Did they stop doing that bit?

I had to pull over in my car because I was laughing so much when they were talking about the homeless man in Florida who peed all over a bunch of mail. Hey Florida, stop peeing on your mail.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am on episode 42 of UYD, and I am really enjoying it. My favorite bit is "This week in Florida" just because of the kooky nonsense that always seems to pop up in that state. I have listened to a few of their latest ones and I don't recall hearing a "This week in Florida." Did they stop doing that bit?

I had to pull over in my car because I was laughing so much when they were talking about the homeless man in Florida who peed all over a bunch of mail. Hey Florida, stop peeing on your mail.

They don't really have set segments. They usually do segments for a limited amount of episodes and change it up with no real prior indication. It does kind of suck for some of the funnier ones like craigshouse, but I feel like it keeps with the whole UYD "unscriptedness".

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
So does the one guy from UYD stand the whole time they're recording? It looks that way from the videos on youtube. Something about that weirds me out...

However this clip has convinced me to give this show a listen.

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 8, 2010

  • Locked thread