Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vino
Aug 11, 2010
He's 9 months and I worked on it from when we first got him at 2 months until about a month ago and he never picked it up. If anybody else has any good ideas I figure I can keep working on it but nothing I've done seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

rivals posted:

Once Sitka and Thor are old enough we will revamp the design :)

Yay! Thor's on the team! As a side note, he's been really ill yesterday/today after a trip to the dog beach. Thanks a lot, BP.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Went to the vet today for round two of vaccines. He was pretty much awesome. Has a malamute himself (and showed off pictures on his iphone) and used to live in Sitka so we had Alaska chat. Apparently we know a lot of the same folks. Haha!

She's in great health, 26lb at almost 12 weeks, and completely scared the piss (literally) out of this completely tiny French bulldog. I think the bulldog was maybe 10 weeks old?

And I learned while walking Sitka that apparently people with multicoloured hair (me) shouldn't have pets because we clearly can't take care of them. This from a woman ignoring her shrieking kids as they ran in and out of the road. While Sitka was trotting along at my heel like a good girl. People, I swear.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

And I learned while walking Sitka that apparently people with multicoloured hair (me) shouldn't have pets because we clearly can't take care of them. This from a woman ignoring her shrieking kids as they ran in and out of the road. While Sitka was trotting along at my heel like a good girl. People, I swear.

Hey there multicolored hair, sled dog ownin' buddy! :hfive:

So what'd the lady say to you??

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey there multicolored hair, sled dog ownin' buddy! :hfive:

:hfive: I meet more punks now that I have Sitka than I ever did before.

quote:

So what'd the lady say to you??

That's the thing. She didn't say it to me. She said it really loudly to her friend as I was walking by. It was just ... kinda surreal in how aggressively passive aggressive it was.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I get that occasionally (though for tattoos) but we live in a college town for now so not that often. It will probably be more once we move in about a month.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

That's the thing. She didn't say it to me. She said it really loudly to her friend as I was walking by. It was just ... kinda surreal in how aggressively passive aggressive it was.

That's really lovely. The best thing I could suggest is just keep bringing your dog up right, and be a stickler about obedience. It HAS to shut people up when your dog is sitting at corners before crossing the street. :rolleyes: I probably help the situation because I'm super social when it comes to my dog in that I KNOW everyone wants to pet him. :colbert: Whenever we're out on walks and people look at him, especially if it's kids, I say it's ok to pet him and that usually starts a conversation where they can see he's a good dog and I know what I'm doing. Like rivals said, too, though, it could be where we live. No matter where you are in the Chicago suburbs, I don't think colored hair really turns heads anymore. Unless you're looking for a job. :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cross posting Buddy's commercial from the Random Nonsense thread. :3:

http://www.wciu.com/udog.php?section=video&assetID=10003854

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oooohhhhhh, Buddy!! :3: That is awesome.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

:neckbeard: Yay Buddy! (I totally voted for him)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Oh god halloween + 12 week old puppy = chaos. Extremely happy chaos for said puppy and all the trick or treaters, but I think it might have set back some of her training. (Particularly the 'do not drag me to object (child) of interest.) She gets four walks a day at 6 am, 11-12, 4-5pm and 10pm. About two miles each. Sometimes the fourth walk in mid-afternoon doesn't happen because she's getting play time next door with the neighbors. (Who are way too good a socialization opportunity to pass up. 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 chickens, 1 turtle, 8 kids.)

We were a little late with the mid afternoon walk because we went over to the neighborhood pre-trick'or'treat thing for the little ones. Which probably wasn't the best idea I've ever had. But I figured lots of kids = great socialization opportunity! Which it was! And everyone was very happy and Sitka got to meet everyone in the neighborhood and all their kids. But it also wound her up like woah. So the mid afternoon walk happened more at 5:30 which was prime trick or treating time for my area.

Oh god the children. The children and the puppy. About every two houses we got a new set of trick or treaters who wanted to play with the puppy. And the puppy desperately want to play with everyone.

Had a couple of little ones (like 4-6 range) who weren't quite sure the 'puppy' was an okay thing given that she was about their size. But she did pretty good with the 'do not jump on the child' though there was one little girl that Sitka just completely adored and when the girl went to leave Sitka grabbed the wing of her costume. :ohdear: Fortunately the parents were pretty chill about it even though the little girl and I were mutually horrified. There was another little boy in superman costume who had to be physically separated from Sitka. Like I had to pick up the puppy and the parents had to pick up the boy and we had to walk in opposite directions with our respective charges wailing like it was the end of the god damned world.

Fortunately she passed right out when we got home. Just crashed on the sun porch after dinner. When I came to see if she wanted in she was so asleep that she drapped in my arms when I carried her up to put her in her crate. And now this morning she was hyper active as gently caress. >_< Agh. She's going to be so disappointed to find out that not every day is Halloween.

pandrax
Sep 9, 2010

u kno i have lupus rite?

Sock Weasel posted:

Hrafn is amazing! Thank you (albeit a bit late) for sharing.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

The puppy's ears have arrived

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
poo poo my dad gave him a grape. Is one grape something to worry about? The internet says it can cause permanent damage.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Vino posted:

poo poo my dad gave him a grape. Is one grape something to worry about? The internet says it can cause permanent damage.

One grape shouldn't kill your dog, no. But I'd be very careful and not feed any more grapes or raisins to your dog. My dog LOVES grapes and I only remembered how bad they were halfway through him chowing down on one. :ohdear: Since then I've had to keep a good eye on him since he'll eat almost any fruit I have. Luckily for him, he can have as much watermelon and blueberries as I want to give him.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's almost the fluffy time of the year again here on the East coast.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Haha oh my are those wisps and chunks of fur I see gathered over there in the background?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Exactly.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Haha oh my are those wisps and chunks of fur I see gathered over there in the background?

Tumbleweeds. Fur tumbleweeds. We only get those in our dining room and bathroom (you know, places where the carpet can't hide it.)

Koji is only growing fluff on his butt so far, but it's only JUST now getting below 70.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan's filling in a little bit but not much. However, it's currently in the low 80s here.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Buddy's already fluffed up quite a bit. I keep thinking he's getting fatter (since we just changed his food and I'm keeping tabs to make sure he's getting the right amount) but he's just growing one hell of a coat, I think. We're toughing it out and haven't turned our heat up past 66 so far, so I'm guessing he's going to be a wooly beast this year. I'm already dreading spring. :doh:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

It's like 40 degrees out here, and Fang has barely finished growing in his summer coat.
That dog ain't right.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I'm waiting for Sitka to grow in her guardhairs. I'm not sure if she's getting fluffier or just bigger since, you know, the entire puppy growth spurt going on.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Elsa is shedding at the moment. Waking up with a mouth full of shiba fluff sucks, she wasn't even on the bed!

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Oh god he doesn't stop eating. After i finished a muffin I held the wrapper up so he could lick it, but to my surprise he put it in his mouth and didn't let go until he'd swallowed it. I can't imagine that muffin wrappers are dangerous to dogs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I've had two different dogs steal muffin wrappers with no consequence. :rolleyes: :argh:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I gave all three dogs chew bones yesterday. After Pi had eaten his, this happened

The greedy bastard's also eaten a silicone muffin wrapper and countless paper ones with no consequence other than colored poo.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Wow. He just found a toy that I had written off as being lost for months. Oddly enough it's not squeaky, it's not chewable, it's one of those bouncy balls that you get at conventions that makes blinky light when you bounce it, but for some reason it was one of his favorite toys.

edit: Oh no what if the muffin wrapper and the grape mix together in his stomach in an unholy poisonous chemical reaction? I couldn't live with myself!

Vino fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 4, 2010

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Have any of you tried to teach a husky/malamute 'fetch'? We've been trying and it's been working with mixed results. She chases the ball and comes back when I call her, but she doesn't bring the ball back with her and I'm not sure how to teach her. I'm also kinda at a loss on how to teach her 'wait'.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Have any of you tried to teach a husky/malamute 'fetch'? We've been trying and it's been working with mixed results. She chases the ball and comes back when I call her, but she doesn't bring the ball back with her and I'm not sure how to teach her. I'm also kinda at a loss on how to teach her 'wait'.

Heh, Koji SORT of fetches if he still wants to play. I would say maybe try to offer an exchange? Ball for a treat and see if that works with her wanting to get it and bring it back for nummies?

For wait, what are you doing? Is it like your version of stay? It wasn't terribly hard to teach Koji "wait", but it took some time for him to do it reliably (he now will sit and look at me and wait for his cue.)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I couldn't get Kaidan to retrieve/play with something if my life depended on it. Whenever I try to get him to play with toys, even food puzzles, he just gives me this look like, "Really? Do you think I'm actually a dog or something?" :sigh:

CrisisCarolina
Feb 22, 2010
We had a hard time teaching our shiba to fetch, he SORT of does it. We can throw the item, he'll chase it down and bring it back...but then you have to wrestle it away from him. Very rarely does he drop it for you, he makes you work for that poo poo. I think he only really learned the concept of bringing it back because he saw our toddler doing it and realized 'oh hey that's what they want me to do!'

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

What is it you're actually using "wait" for? It affects how you teach it. Is it to teach self control like waiting for a treat or at a corner for a walk, or is it in place of "stay"?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

CrisisCarolina posted:

We had a hard time teaching our shiba to fetch, he SORT of does it. We can throw the item, he'll chase it down and bring it back...but then you have to wrestle it away from him. Very rarely does he drop it for you, he makes you work for that poo poo. I think he only really learned the concept of bringing it back because he saw our toddler doing it and realized 'oh hey that's what they want me to do!'

Hahaha, yeah, that's how Koji plays. And he goes OUT OF HIS WAY to swing by as close to you as possible so you can catch the toy in his mouth to wrestle and tug before we make him give it and sit for another throw. He gets bored after a handful of this, though.

WolfensteinBag posted:

What is it you're actually using "wait" for? It affects how you teach it. Is it to teach self control like waiting for a treat or at a corner for a walk, or is it in place of "stay"?

Our wait is used for self-control, I believe. I don't really know how I could make the "stay" kind effective (or know much of a difference?) I can say wait to Koji for him to stop on a walk to untangle his leash, he has to wait away from the door for it to open, wait away for food, and it's come in very handy when trying to get him to NOT MOVE DAMNIT for pictures. He HAAAAATES it but does it since I mean business with that one. I might abuse my power for my amusement at times. :rolleyes: My favorite part is when he thinks it's time to be released from it before I say so, I give the "AH AH! Wait!" and he'll just look at me, sigh, and sit back down. My dog has such an attitude.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 7, 2010

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Whats a good method for teaching your dog 'wait' ? Any good links? Cosmo's well behaved but I want to make him have near-perfect recall at the dog park which is the hardest place to get Cosmo to listen, at least semi-immediately after the command.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This is a good way to teach general impulse control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

The point of that one is that you don't have to teach your dog a command -- they choose to behave without one.

I don't have a specific wait command myself. I have a "stay" (which admittedly I should work harder on making bomb proof) and a "leave it". I taught the leave it similarly to the method in that video, adding the cue when Cohen broke her attention from the object and focused on me. Leave it is also my default "watch me" cue, but I might change that in the future.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

^^ That youtube is super helpful! Thanks.

WolfensteinBag posted:

I've been using it for self control. She sits just fine, but I want her to sit and stay there when I'm putting her food down or waiting to cross the street or waiting to go out a door. That sort of thing.

Citizen Rat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 7, 2010

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

I've been using it for self control. She sits just fine, but I want her to sit and stay there when I'm putting her food down or waiting to cross the street or waiting to go out a door. That sort of thing.

The best way to train that is just to be more stubborn than your dog. I ought tp have my husband take a video of Buddy wait by the door to go out, it's a good example. I'm out right now, but I'll be sure to elaborate later!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ok, didn't edit my last post just to bump the thread. Had a chance to take some video as an example of how I've worked with Buddy and his "wait" command! :haw: Here's the text I wrote up for the video:

This is an example of how we use the "wait" command on Buddy's walk, and how it differs from the "stay" command. The first part is an example of Buddy going outside, and he was surprisingly on his best behavior. This was all done with positive training, he knows his reward is going outside, and that he isn't going to get anywhere by being pushy. He also knows that I'm faster than him, and that if he tries to make a break for it, I'll just shut the door!

Out on our walks, "wait" is used to halt Buddy in his tracks. He looks back at me waiting for his next command, even though he might not want to listen to whatever it is!

It's hard to tell because it's dark and I'm trying to walk Bud and take video at the same time, but when I tell Buddy to "heel" he's supposed to stand by me so I can hold on to his collar. We use this to walk in busy areas like near busy roads or in crowds, or in this case, to walk around obstacles. It's hard to see in the video, but he is walking next to me.

Finally you can see Buddy wait at corners (a safety measure) and sit. I did it two times so you could see the difference in his motivation. The first his reward is just continuing his walk. The second is a treat. Look how fast he plants his butt the second time around!

Here's the link to the actual video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53TRfRNlTw

To elaborate a little bit on how we trained for the command, it pretty much came naturally. I think he probably picked it up the most from our walks. I would tell him to wait, then tug him back on his leash until he was right by me. Then I wouldn't let him move away from me until I gave him his release command (out on a walk, and most of the time otherwise, it's "ok, go ahead.") Other than that, it's a natural thing to teach with body blocking. Just keep whatever it is your dog wants away from him until he gets that he has to wait.

For going outside (when I put him in a stay before hand) he was NOT always this good, and this is a particularly good run of it. When we first started with this training, it would take a pretty long while before Buddy would be calm enough to be released outside, and even longer before I was really confident holding the door open like that. Part of what helped us, I think, is upping the obedience price if he did a "false start" as it were. If he hadn't stayed like that, I would have had him back up again, then go from a "sit" to a "lay down". Not only is that forcing him to do something else and ohmygod that's so much WORK, but it also puts him in a position where he's naturally more calm and has to put forth more effort to bolt.

Here's another video we just took, which shows an example of Buddy jumping the gun and being put into a "lay down". This is Buddy's routine after finishing his dinner. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gMsD4ulbc

Overall, all of Buddy's commands were really natural to teach using everyday things as motivation. I'm really impressed these days with his obedience, I forget sometimes that it's not a natural thing for huskies to obey like that. That is, I forget until there's something more interesting there than the treat/walk/whatever I'm bribing him with. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Heee Buddy. :3: Koji doesn't watch me during the waits on walks (something we've been working on) but he does stop and glance at me like "whyyyyy?!" before waiting to hear me say we can go again. I wish I had time to take a video, but I'm going out of town as soon as I get off of work. I'll get one of him waiting for doors and such when I get back, though. I'm so proud of him, especially when we get fosters in who know NOTHING and I forget just how much Koji really knows.

But speaking of SHIBAS (sorry the post is so late :ohdear:) but Dogs101 finally aired the Shiba segment. I think I should know a few people or dogs that are in the video maybe, since they approached one of my friends in California and their meetup group. I think they did a pretty good job for the time allotted, though I wish they mentioned knees since I feel like that's a more rampant problem than hips (hips, knees, eyes and allergies are the biggest health issues.) I don't feel like the rage from some of the other rabid Shiba owners was called for since they didn't mention every quirk of the breed, but I thought it was a decent summary. I also WISH Koji was that behaved for a nail trim.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs-101-season-3/

• Locked thread