Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kylej posted:

Pulling up beside someone at a light and seeing them shrivel up in the driver's seat. It's easy to act like you're a stud in your Mustang/Boxter/whatever when it's nothing but grandmas in Corollas around you. Your car's slow bro :clint:

The flip side of this is pulling up next to a squid on his Gixxah when you're in an 8 second street car. Although, most people on bikes seem to be genuinely excited when a car beats them to the next light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

frozenphil posted:

The flip side of this is pulling up next to a squid on his Gixxah when you're in an 8 second street car. Although, most people on bikes seem to be genuinely excited when a car beats them to the next light.

I can imagine that being fun until the fourth light and your gas light comes on.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

schreibs posted:

I can imagine that being fun until the fourth light and your gas light comes on.

Or the clutch implodes

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Or the camshaft breaks...?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Cruising downtown Fri/Sat nights right after the clubs and bars close and getting flashed by hot drunk girls (well one hot drunk girl) and thumbs up from other dudes who get it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
56. The look on the parking garage attendant's face as I merrily roll through the posts and out the exit.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

137. Riding at night. Just me, the roar of the wind, and the growl of the engine.

158. 30-second stoplight discussions with a fellow rider.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
#n. The wasp-tail designs of bikes including mine. Every time another bike passes by I immediately take in and savor said bike's tail's glorious shape and pointyness.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I finally have a 5.

5. Playing in traffic with a guy in a deeply black vette, with BRIGHT RED brake calipers. He's cutting in and out of traffic, taking advantage of the holes.
After a (very) short while, he's stuck behind a Prius or some poo poo in the fast lane, and I get the opportunity to pass him on the right...and I wave as I go by...

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

My insolent gesture fired up his testosterone in such a way that now it's EVEN MORE IMPORTANT for him to squirt through this gap, and slide across a couple lanes of traffic and stomp on it in the open space... He's definitely a driver's driver, and isn't sudden, jerky, or dangerous. He's just the shark among the other fish, and he's able to go (rather) faster than everyone else. But I'm on a fuckoff huge dirtbike. 450 pounds. 37 horsepower. $1500. And I'm keeping up with his $60,000 penis ego shark. Like a remora.

That is... I'm sticking to him like glue right up to the point (just north of the I-76/US-36 Junction) where traffic (as it always does even in moderate traffic because of the limited sight distances) gums up, and he slows down from 70 to 7.

...and I honk as I pass him doing about 12, and keep right on going - splitting my way on home.

God, that was just...the perfect moment.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man if I felt even remotely safe lanesplitting that would shoot directly to #1. (It's illegal as gently caress here, no-one expects it, and I'd pretty much expect some motherfucker in one of the 500,000 pickup trucks in this city to take it upon himself to cross the dotted line right in front of me to "teach me a lesson")

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Doing a wheelie at 75 with a drunk bitch on the back and throwing her off. Keeps weight down and RPM up infront of my bros.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Doing a wheelie at 75 with a drunk bitch on the back and throwing her off. Keeps weight down and RPM up infront of my bros.

This is why I ride mostly nude. Tanning and riding in one step. Genius.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

kylej posted:

This is why I ride mostly nude. Tanning and riding in one step. Genius.

The road rash really helps soak up the tanning oil too, brah.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Phy posted:

Man if I felt even remotely safe lanesplitting that would shoot directly to #1. (It's illegal as gently caress here, no-one expects it, and I'd pretty much expect some motherfucker in one of the 500,000 pickup trucks in this city to take it upon himself to cross the dotted line right in front of me to "teach me a lesson")
First - if you're going so fast that you can't (calmly and without drama) react to someone doing that, you're splitting too fast for the conditions.

If some motherfucker is going to try to cut you off in traffic that's stopped (without simultaneously crashing into the car in front of them, think "parallel unparking"), they're going to have to crank the wheel HARD over, and you'll see it quite a ways away, and can adjust accordingly - by switching lanes, or stopping and waiting for a gap, THEN switching lanes.

Second tip for trying your first split is to ride between the slowest and next-to slowest lanes. That way if there's a surprise, you can (calmly, because you're going slowly while they're all stopped, remember) cut between the cars on your right, and exit to the shoulder, where there's generally LOTS of room.
My first moving split was actually not a 'split' at all. I just "split" on the shoulder doing about 20 when traffic was stop and go between 0 and 15 MPH.

And I call Spiffness as JtS's Parachute Account After The Fact.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jabs posted:

Second tip for trying your first split is to ride between the slowest and next-to slowest lanes. That way if there's a surprise, you can (calmly, because you're going slowly while they're all stopped, remember) cut between the cars on your right, and exit to the shoulder, where there's generally LOTS of room.
My first moving split was actually not a 'split' at all. I just "split" on the shoulder doing about 20 when traffic was stop and go between 0 and 15 MPH.

Personally I'd rather split the passing lane, and whatever is next to that. Less people merging on and off the highway.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Problem with safe lane splitting when it's illegal is that if something does happen, even if it's not your fault, chances are insurance will side with the car because you were dangerously weaving in and out of traffic. At least up here in Nazi ICBC land.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Personally I'd rather split the passing lane, and whatever is next to that. Less people merging on and off the highway.

No large trucks either.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

blugu64 posted:

That's where I split now that I'm more comfortable doing so.

But when first starting to split, given a choice of absolute escape routes between the shoulder and the median (which, at least here in Colorado, varies between the extremes of "enough for two extra lanes" and "six inches of pavement with a yellow stripe"), I'll take the shoulder.

Merging cars and trucks are, to me, a non-issue at 10 MPH. Again, if they're enough of an issue to be an issue, you're (very probably) going too fast.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ya, I rarely split in Texas. Too many nutjobs who are more then happy to take a swerve at you, but it's a blast. I agree on the speed though, 10mph is about my limit.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jabs posted:

If some motherfucker is going to try to cut you off in traffic that's stopped (without simultaneously crashing into the car in front of them, think "parallel unparking"), they're going to have to crank the wheel HARD over, and you'll see it quite a ways away, and can adjust accordingly - by switching lanes, or stopping and waiting for a gap, THEN switching lanes.

Nah, what you do is go around them using the big gap they just left on the other side and give them a nice wave. Drives people nuts.

thr33n0r
Nov 18, 2006
www.theowla.com
1.) The smell of what's around you. Except when stuck behind a cattle truck...
2.) The feel of moving through the air, much like flight
3.) Just looking at my bike... it looks so drat good to me...
4.) Fuel efficiency... my bike paid for itself by the second year just in what I saved in fuel compared to my other vehicle.
5.) The connection: to what's around, to life and death, to what matters. The bike gives a good taste of these things....

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Tsaven Nava posted:

56. The look on the parking garage attendant's face as I merrily roll through the posts and out the exit.

I love this. I seriously have not paid for parking in years.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kyon posted:

I love this. I seriously have not paid for parking in years.

Is that even legal? If not what's to stop them getting your license plate on camera and tracking you?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Frankston posted:

Is that even legal? If not what's to stop them getting your license plate on camera and tracking you?
The hassle.
The parking attendant, who has (in my experience thus far) been an immigrant making minimum wage (and therefore largely gives no gently caress, regardless of whether there's a language barrier between his supervisor or not) will need to stop whatever he's doing (be that servicing a customer, reading a book, or just freezing/baking his rear end off in the booth), note the time, call a supervisor, wait for the supervisor to show up, etc. The supervisor will have to take the notes and find out what's on the tape (which likely will be remote), then they'll need to pay someone to consult the DMV records to get the Address of Record for that license plate, have someone at Corporate prepare a bill, send it out, and (potentially, if you don't pay up right away) then pay more to send it to a collection agency, where you can claim that it wasn't you on the bike, and that they can gently caress off.

To what end should they do all this - so they can collect the $7-20 you should have spent on parking?

The parking attendant isn't being paid enough to give a poo poo whether you ride around the bollards or not.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, it would suck if they decide to dock his pay for it though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, it would suck if they decide to dock his pay for it though.
I'm not sure they could do so legally.

Besides, in order to do so, they'd have to jump through almost as many hoops (finding and reviewing the video, etc.) to prove that he 'let' you get away - or else he's going to turn around and sue his employer (we are talking about America, right?) for failing to pay Minimum Wage.

It's kind of hard for the parking company to prove you were even there. If you don't pull a ticket to get in, and if you ride around the bollards/gates on the way out, they'd basically have to be reviewing all 24 hours of video, every day, from every site they own - unless they caught you by chance in a video spot check or some such.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If you took a ticket when you went in, and that ticket was never entered back into the computer as paid, they know you snuck out. I honestly have no idea what their actual policies are since I've never worked at a garage, but it's standard practice in most lovely minimum-wage jobs like food service to dock employees' pay for poo poo like that. It might not technically be legal, but practically no employees will actually report it or otherwise do anything about it for fear of losing their job. I'm definitely not saying that it actually happens, but I'd be a bit worried about it.

Of course, automated systems like at the airport or train station on the other hand, I'm really tempted to try this at.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

If you took a ticket when you went in, and that ticket was never entered back into the computer as paid, they know you snuck out. I honestly have no idea what their actual policies are since I've never worked at a garage, but it's standard practice in most lovely minimum-wage jobs like food service to dock employees' pay for poo poo like that. It might not technically be legal, but practically no employees will actually report it or otherwise do anything about it for fear of losing their job. I'm definitely not saying that it actually happens, but I'd be a bit worried about it.

Of course, automated systems like at the airport or train station on the other hand, I'm really tempted to try this at.

The $3 you'll pay is WAY too much for the hassle of getting your wallet out, gloves off to pull out card/cash and then finding a place for the change with said gloves on if you do it that way.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jabs posted:

And I call Spiffness as JtS's Parachute Account After The Fact.

He's often gone on "business", he could easily be living a double life doing drunken late night top speed runs in the bay area. I'm just angry he's never let me ride his CBR1000RR.

Bucephalus posted:

Or the camshaft breaks...?
Is that a thing?

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 9, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

The $3 you'll pay is WAY too much for the hassle of getting your wallet out, gloves off to pull out card/cash and then finding a place for the change with said gloves on if you do it that way.

Well, parking at the airport or train station usually runs me at least $50, which is tempting to skip out on, although I suppose more likely that I'd actually get in trouble for doing so.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Frankston posted:

In Sydney we have dedicated motorbike only zones in the city, you can also park in a regular car spot for free (but you have to abide the time restrictions just like everyone else)

For private car parks I just ride around the toll gate in and out. They can't issue fines because they're a private company and don't have the legal authority to issue/enforce fines. I suppose they could try and charge me with theft or some poo poo like that since I'm not paying for a 'service' - but I've never heard of it happening to anyone before. Some car parks here also have agreements with the government and can issue fines, but most carparks don't.

This advice only applies to Australia obviously, since I have no idea how things work elsewhere.

Kyon fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 9, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

SlightlyMadman posted:

If you took a ticket when you went in, and that ticket was never entered back into the computer as paid, they know you snuck out.

Nope, never took a ticket on the way in, rode through the bollards to get in, road through a different set of bollards (next to the booth) to get out. Happy as a clam, I am, and $13 richer! (gently caress hospitals, srsly)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
My last bike was stolen almost 2 years ago in Dallas. It was a SV650Sk6 in that awesome blue color. I rode the damned thing from Biloxi, MS, to Dallas, then to Abilene, TX in about 2 days, with close to 200 pounds worth of poo poo tied haphazardly on the back. Outside of New Orleans, some lady in a rimmzed out Chrysler 300 pulled up next to me on I-10 and shouted "Baybay, yo bags is on fiuh!" Turns out, some stuff fell onto the pipe, and I lost the bottoms to my 2 piece leathers. I rode through a storm that had 18wheelers pulled over to the side of the highway, and people were applauding and cheering me on as I was riding. I miss it more than anything, and can't wait to have another bike.

1.Adventure. Feeling bored? Hop on the bike and ride. It's cheap and fun, and you learn a lot about the area you're in.
2.Comraderie/"the wave". I've met so many cool people through motorcycling, its ridiculous. One night, I get bored and decided to ride from San Angelo, TX to Austin which is about a 3.5 hour ride. On the way there I met to guys on GS650's doing the Brownsville to Alaska ride. I met two old Harley riders at a gas station that rode ahead of me to show me the way, via some shortcuts. I met another old Goldwing man at a gas station, who talked to me for about an hour about bikes and life in general, and had some really interesting stories. For some reason, bikes bring people together better than anything else I've ever done, including being in the military.
3.Impressing people by doing my grocery shopping, picking up dry-cleaning, and getting fast food with a drink, all at the same time on a sport bike. Also, learning how to pack correctly.
4.Little kids absolutely love sportbikes for some reason. I've had multiple kids BEG their parents to look at my bike, and the dad is always really angry screaming NO! Watching the little kid go from :smith: to :unsmith: when I say "No, it's cool! here, put on the helmet and climb on!" makes me feel pretty good about myself.
5.When you forget to stop singing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" at a stoplight and having people laugh at you.

I absolutely need to have a bike again. I hate hate hate hate the cage. I started out on a ninja250 when I was 17, and rode for 3 years up until my SV was stolen, never having to have a cage for ANYTHING. I moved from Houston to Dallas in one trip on the 250, including bringing my computer and guitar. I moved from Biloxi, MS to San Angelo, TX in one trip on a bike. I've had people pay for my meal because they saw that I rode and wanted to sit down and talk about the good old day's wearing a leather helmet riding a Norton or a BSA.

Motorcycling is honestly the best thing I have ever experienced.

(also, the spidey sense, and being a way better cage driver than my peers because of it.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Tsaven Nava posted:

Nope, never took a ticket on the way in, rode through the bollards to get in, road through a different set of bollards (next to the booth) to get out. Happy as a clam, I am, and $13 richer! (gently caress hospitals, srsly)

I love that now that I have a bike, I ride to all my dr appointments. Ride in around the arm, park next to the bike rack in the corner right by the door, ride out around the arm again. Booya, parking garage!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
45. The delighted squeal of a female passenger after her first bike ride

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007

invision posted:

3.Impressing people by doing my grocery shopping, picking up dry-cleaning, and getting fast food with a drink, all at the same time on a sport bike. Also, learning how to pack correctly.

This. I never tire of telling a story that begins with "I was grocery shopping on my bike," followed by the jaw-open-stare as you explain the finesse of centering a gallon jug of milk under the cargo net, and just how many boxes of cereal and pop tarts will fit in your backpack.

Related: since riding I have become a very efficient packer. I used to take tons of extras on every trip that would never get used. Extra pair of shoes, extra shirts and pants, three books I wouldn't have time or interest to pick up while away. Everything can fit in a backpack, and if it won't then you don't need it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

45. The delighted squeal of a female passenger after her first bike ride

46. The horrified screams of a female passenger during her first bike ride

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

This. I never tire of telling a story that begins with "I was grocery shopping on my bike," followed by the jaw-open-stare as you explain the finesse of centering a gallon jug of milk under the cargo net, and just how many boxes of cereal and pop tarts will fit in your backpack.

Related: since riding I have become a very efficient packer. I used to take tons of extras on every trip that would never get used. Extra pair of shoes, extra shirts and pants, three books I wouldn't have time or interest to pick up while away. Everything can fit in a backpack, and if it won't then you don't need it.

friends:"How the gently caress do you think you're going to bring the pizza AND a 2-liter of pepsi back to the apartment on your tiny little motorcycle?"
me:":smug:"

I got real good at balancing lil' ceasers on the tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

(Random Number): I love when people make a point to speed up and go around me when I'm just putting down the road, only to realize it was all in vein when I split by them at the next red light or traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I decided to gently caress college off the other day and take a drive to the Imperial war museum in Manchester. Great ride, lovely clear (freezing cold) day, doing 75mph on my tiny GS125. Looked at some guns, read about Kosovo, rode home. Bikes rule.

• Locked thread