Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So if you want to learn martial arts pretty much at all, you'll have to go find on your own a school in the civilian world? Is there any kind of allowance for that kind of thing, or entirely out-of-pocket?

How long has it been this way? My dad says he learned savate as a logistics driver in the 80's, and I remember watching videos ~10 years ago about people learning jiujitsu at the officer academy; those videos may have been chock full of misinformation since it was a "holy poo poo joining the military is kickin' rad, dog!" kind of thing.

Entirely out of pocket. It's incredibly unlikely that you'll be in a situation where it could help unless you're an MP, so it really doesn't make sense to waste time and money on teaching infanteers how to beat people up. When I was in Aldershot in 08 the MPs were going through some kind of CQB course, which makes sense because they're basically police officers and they can expect to be in situations where they have to subdue people without killing them, which is not really the deal at all in the infantry. I'll ask one of the MPOs who was on my CAP about it some time and get back to you guys.

If you're concerned about professional development and want to go combat arms, your time and effort would be much better spent practicing navigation, exercising in some sort of functional fitness, hiking (so that you know what to expect from the outdoors and walking long distances with some weight), and public speaking if you're interested in leadership. A couple of things could help, like learning to sky dive if you want to go to a light infantry battalion, or painting things if you want to join the Navy, but should really be secondary to the other stuff. At the very minimum you should read the staple books and stuff (On Killing, Sling and the Stone, et cetera). Everything else, all the cool poo poo like learning to fight and shoot and whatever, won't really help that much. Focus on becoming good at the things that the army really needs you to be good at but doesn't really train very well because they train a lot of the other stuff well enough. If you need something particularly high speed, you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I loving hate poppies. gently caress wearing them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Hizawk posted:

I loving hate poppies. gently caress wearing them.

I loving hate DEUs. gently caress wearing them.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So what's this ACCIS thing I keep hearing the SigOs talk about the Comm Res changing to? Does this mean we'll have to give up our Harris HF and line trucks? :ohdear:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

I loving hate DEUs. gently caress wearing them.

I have gone my entire career in the CF (4 years) without putting my DEU's on once. I loving hate parades.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
One of the Sgt's at the Inf School did the school PT with 120 reflective belts strapped all over his body.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I hope he still had a marker with a reflective vest ahead of him.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

I have gone my entire career in the CF (4 years) without putting my DEU's on once. I loving hate parades.

Chicks dig it.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Mr.48 posted:

I don't see how this possible unless you are in some weird reserve unit.

You've never done a course grad parade or remembrance day ceremony?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Lt. Jebus posted:

A bunch of reservists just do parades in combats, or FFO ( BIQ grad, and yes it looks retarded).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

I just show up in combats and get told to do something else while everyone parades. Then the SM lectures me for 5 minutes at the end, which is totally worth it to miss half an hour of drill with 20 minutes of standing at attention while some goofball officer takes his sweet time with inspection.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I was at school today and there was a guy walking with a patrol pack on as a normal backpack :ughh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, it does work pretty well for normal non-military stuff.

Plus, maybe you're just too loving lazy/cheap to buy a civvie backpack. :confused:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Simkin posted:

Plus, maybe you're just too loving lazy/cheap to buy a civvie backpack. :confused:

I know I'm way too cheap to spring for a regular backpack. They're great for flying because they fit under the seat

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Simkin posted:

Like I know some of the military gear is good for outside the military use( camping, paintball ect). If your going to walk around with it on your just trying to stand out and get attention. Heck I wonder if I will see him in his tilly hat or parka soon or even better, having his dog tags hanging outside his shirt. :fuckoff:

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 10, 2010

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Mr.48 posted:

I just show up in combats and get told to do something else while everyone parades. Then the SM lectures me for 5 minutes at the end, which is totally worth it to miss half an hour of drill with 20 minutes of standing at attention while some goofball officer takes his sweet time with inspection.

Reserves.txt

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Fraser CDN posted:

Heck I wonder if I will see him in his tilly hat or parka soon or even better, having his dog tags hanging outside his shirt. :fuckoff:

DAOD 135.8, Sub paras a thru f give you explicit permission to punch anyone in the junk that walks around with their dogtags hanging out.

The rest of that poo poo, meh. I use the bivvy bag loving all the time camping, because it is the best bloody thing for motorcycle camping.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Lt. Jebus posted:

Reserves.txt

:smug: You know it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How are the reserves corps? I've been thinking of joining because the job market isn't too hot where I live, and I'll need a stable job through College. How often will I be called in? Every week-end? Every other week-end?

Also, how strict are they on the 5 references thing? It will be a bitch to track down some people who know me for >5 years. I'm in good shape and, I like to believe, pretty smart, and I'd hate to be held up by that.

For reference, I've already sent an application and been called back asking me to show up at a recruitment center with school grades, references, etc.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

How are the reserves corps? I've been thinking of joining because the job market isn't too hot where I live, and I'll need a stable job through College. How often will I be called in? Every week-end? Every other week-end?

Also, how strict are they on the 5 references thing? It will be a bitch to track down some people who know me for >5 years. I'm in good shape and, I like to believe, pretty smart, and I'd hate to be held up by that.

For reference, I've already sent an application and been called back asking me to show up at a recruitment center with school grades, references, etc.

Reserves are great while being in school. Reserve regiments usually parade one night a week and have weekend exercises twice a month (although this can vary throughout the year) so lots of chances to make some money. I believe the current requirement is for you to show up to at least one parade night and one exercise a month, but this can vary by regiment (mine was more strict and demanded higher attendance, but its good money so why not). During the summers there are usually lots of training and other postings available for months at a time which is where you can make some serious cash.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Reserves is really flexible, and a great job for students. You get $2000 a year in education reimbursement if you're at college/uni while being in the reserves as well as regular pay for doing routine work. Plus you get opportunities to, for example, go up to the arctic, or very rarely go someplace in Europe. A few years ago we had a couple people from our regiment go over to France for the Canadian National Vimy Memorial rededication. That sort of stuff is really rare though, obviously. I really can't recommend it enough, and wish I'd learned about it sooner. Unless you're a huge pussy or a fat person you'll be just fine and make decent money to boot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lassitude posted:

Reserves is really flexible, and a great job for students. You get $2000 a year in education reimbursement if you're at college/uni while being in the reserves as well as regular pay for doing routine work. Plus you get opportunities to, for example, go up to the arctic, or very rarely go someplace in Europe. A few years ago we had a couple people from our regiment go over to France for the Canadian National Vimy Memorial rededication. That sort of stuff is really rare though, obviously. I really can't recommend it enough, and wish I'd learned about it sooner. Unless you're a huge pussy or a fat person you'll be just fine and make decent money to boot.

Oh yeah that reminds me, the reserves still owe me 2k.

InterwebzRN
Jan 29, 2009
So, question. Compared to a US Service such as the USMC where insane PT is the norm (i.e like Friday morning, an 8 mile run followed by 30 pound ammo can lifts until your arms could no longer lift above your head)and Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP) is awarded for blowing your nose the wrong way, how different are the Canadian Forces from the US military? Does it depend on the Unit? i.e Princess Patricia's Light Infantry vs some random Logistics Group?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

InterwebzRN posted:

So, question. Compared to a US Service such as the USMC where insane PT is the norm (i.e like Friday morning, an 8 mile run followed by 30 pound ammo can lifts until your arms could no longer lift above your head)and Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP) is awarded for blowing your nose the wrong way, how different are the Canadian Forces from the US military? Does it depend on the Unit? i.e Princess Patricia's Light Infantry vs some random Logistics Group?

It all depends. You might get a unit that's super-highspeed and does ruck marches and ball-buster runs every day. Then again you might get a unit who's view of PT is a Timmie's run.

As far as punishment goes, the only time I saw someone severely punished was the twat that broke one of our C3s by trying to unload the gun with a camo pole. He lost master for that, went all the way back down to gunner. All the time I spent as a pogue, the worst dicipline I saw was bad marks on an ex-review or a stern talking to from the BSM.

InterwebzRN
Jan 29, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

It all depends. You might get a unit that's super-highspeed and does ruck marches and ball-buster runs every day. Then again you might get a unit who's view of PT is a Timmie's run.

As far as punishment goes, the only time I saw someone severely punished was the twat that broke one of our C3s by trying to unload the gun with a camo pole. He lost master for that, went all the way back down to gunner. All the time I spent as a pogue, the worst dicipline I saw was bad marks on an ex-review or a stern talking to from the BSM.

That sounds more or less like the US military. How about gently caress-gently caress games i.e "We're gonna meticulously scrub in between the tiles on our floors with toothbrushes in service A uniform!" How difficult would it be for a former US servicemember to join the Canadian Forces?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

InterwebzRN posted:

That sounds more or less like the US military. How about gently caress-gently caress games i.e "We're gonna meticulously scrub in between the tiles on our floors with toothbrushes in service A uniform!" How difficult would it be for a former US servicemember to join the Canadian Forces?

Depending on your trade and instructors the cock ( gently caress gently caress games) will be different. Ive heard of/done change parade - running up 8 flights of stairs to grab your tooth brush, then come back down and go back up and grab your left DEU glove and its timed, or moving a pile of snow from one area to another with just your snow shoe as a shovel, or striping wax floors with their dog tags and bayonets ( loving battle school).

I bet some of the other goons have some goon ones.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

InterwebzRN posted:

Well, even at my armored regiment 10-15km morning runs were common (around 8 miles give or take a bit), interchanged with ruck-marches of slightly shorter duration and of course interval training.

As for cock (ridiculous punishments) the worst I've see was taking all the furniture out of a barracks room and arranging it the same way outside (back and forth until the instructors got bored). The worst I had to go through myself was taking mod-tents up and down for about 8 hours straight.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2010

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

InterwebzRN posted:

As normal as any other citizen, you might get higher priority for previous military experience.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah PT severity depends on your chain of command and trade. On infantry PAT for instance we do like 150 skips, 30 pullups, 45 pushups, and 60 unanchored situps for time just as a warmup. Then we lift weights or run or something for another 90 minutes. The guys did a 30km (18 miles) ruckmarch from Oromocto, NB to Fredericton with 55lb packs. On Phase 3 Infantry (officer) one of the harder PTs I remember was an 8k run (give or take) with 65lb sandbags. Or the time our platoon of 30 did a 7k 80lb (or something? Simkin would remember) ruckmarch with 15 84mm rocket launchers (a 40lb metal tube). One guy carried two for some reason. The hardest march of my life was a 9km withdrawal with an ERYX strapped to my ruck. Probably about 130 pounds of kit with three days no sleep, pretty slow pace though.

Cocking (cock is Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge, by the way) for officers is generally pretty tame from the sounds of it. I've never heard of anyone polishing or doing anything exceptional to floors. Going up and down many flights of stairs in different uniforms is pretty common. Digging for 20 hours straight through solid rock without being allowed to eat sounds like cock to me, but I think it's just part of training. Depending on your staff you may have to wear gas masks a lot of the time for no real reason. I think I've been very lucky with the amount of cock I've gotten so far.

Right before graduation the guys from my course had to do a 16km ruckmarch and pull an LSVW for some ridiculous distance, and carry stores. I'm not sure on the details because I wasn't there but I know it was a horrible thing to do to people on the last day of course.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
I think last summer just got ridiculous with some back room oneupmanship or something because from what I heard that poo poo was retarded. I am so glad I did the summer before, it might have been wet as all hell but the staff weren't actively trying to break us. It honestly sounded like all the staff just lost their loving minds.

Also armoured phase 3 gets retarded room inspections with stupid waxings and polishing shells.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

I think last summer just got ridiculous with some back room oneupmanship or something because from what I heard that poo poo was retarded. I am so glad I did the summer before, it might have been wet as all hell but the staff weren't actively trying to break us. It honestly sounded like all the staff just lost their loving minds.

Also armoured phase 3 gets retarded room inspections with stupid waxings and polishing shells.

The best part of that sandbag run was that at the end, our course officer - who was later fired for being too hard of an assessor (ex JTF2 after 16 years as an assaulter, head of the tactics school sniper cell, one of the first men in Afghanistan in 2001, [insert hard fact here ad nauseum]) - was moaning in pain and limping with the sandbag on his shoulders. I mean what the gently caress.

\/\/ I love the term cock. Especially when you compare it to "gently caress-gently caress games". I mean seriously, that is a really really stupid name for something. I think it just looks weird because we're reading and writing it instead of saying it. I don't think I've ever written about it before.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 22, 2010

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I really like when the courses I'm on get a lot of cock. It sucks at the time, but it makes the experiences so much more memorable and satisfying having gone through them.

e: we need to think of a better term than "cock"

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 22, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Honestly, I think cock is as good a term as any, as you can make a backronym out of it - as tuyop put it - plus, it nicely encapsulates how you're getting hosed in the rear end by people with authority over you.

I wouldn't really count ruck marches as cock, other than perhaps that last one on grad day. Being drunk for it was probably the right thing to do, all things considered. :D

I do think that the staff must have a great deal of fun just thinking up retarded poo poo to get students or subs to do while on course. Whether it has merit towards the course or not is entirely accidental.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Simkin posted:

Honestly, I think cock is as good a term as any, as you can make a backronym out of it - as tuyop put it - plus, it nicely encapsulates how you're getting hosed in the rear end by people with authority over you.

I wouldn't really count ruck marches as cock, other than perhaps that last one on grad day. Being drunk for it was probably the right thing to do, all things considered. :D

I do think that the staff must have a great deal of fun just thinking up retarded poo poo to get students or subs to do while on course. Whether it has merit towards the course or not is entirely accidental.

Yeah, that was my LSVW/MLVW course(Someone else in here was on this one, and can attest to how loving miserable it was). A course that's supposed to involve sitting around for 8 hours drinking coffee, and the next few hours drinking. The course before mine hosed that up for us, and one of the instructors was a hard-core marathon runner. 15k runs and 8k ruck-marches for 3 weeks. You're not supposed to have broken ankles and blown backs on a driver wheel course.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I've seen/done stupid poo poo. But as a reservist, most of the cock I got was pretty mellow. We had timed change parades (changing from full combats to DEU to PT strip back to combats, back to DEU, ad nauseum), we got woke up in the middle of the night for bunk inspections, and I got yelled at once :shobon:

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, that was my LSVW/MLVW course(Someone else in here was on this one, and can attest to how loving miserable it was). A course that's supposed to involve sitting around for 8 hours drinking coffee, and the next few hours drinking. The course before mine hosed that up for us, and one of the instructors was a hard-core marathon runner. 15k runs and 8k ruck-marches for 3 weeks. You're not supposed to have broken ankles and blown backs on a driver wheel course.

that's literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard (and I was in the Army, so I have certainly heard stupid poo poo)

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
CFB Esquimalt snow day!

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

compressioncut posted:

CFB Esquimalt snow day!

Hahaha I used a day of annual

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well yeah, I had to go in and my car is trapped in the parking lot. I was going on yesterday's forecast which had today as sunny, or I would have taken the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

that's literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard (and I was in the Army, so I have certainly heard stupid poo poo)

Regs also state that drivers are supposed to get a minimum of 6 hours sleep. We were up at 0430 every morning for some new loving thing (LOG PT ON A DRIVER WHEEL COURSE) and got to bed 11-12ish. So nowhere near. I lost a mirror on my ML after I fell asleep at the wheel, and my loving instructor did as well. Woke up to him screaming "WHY DID YOU FALL ASLEEP". Me being a stupid, worn out 18 year old private, I think I said something like "Because you didn't wake me up?"

gently caress that stupid course it's because of poo poo like that you shouldn't make 20 year olds master corporals.