Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Made a chopper last night.
I call it "the Steed"

lovely pics because I have a lovely camera and am a lovely photographer.

Edit- Oh, what a crappy new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm just about fed up with the Sherman I'm building. I just can't get the tracks right. This chain is proving to be a pain in the rear end to work with.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Anyone get the lego advent calander from the lego flyer they mail out? Is it like a lego a day and you build something or can you actually make stuff each day?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AxeManiac posted:

Anyone get the lego advent calander from the lego flyer they mail out? Is it like a lego a day and you build something or can you actually make stuff each day?

If you mean like, the City or Castle Advent Calendars then it's a different model every day. Christmas Tree, Fireplace, Santa in the Shower...

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

AxeManiac posted:

Both the City and Castle ones have a small impulse sized, self contained set per day. The Castle one is extremely popular and goes fast so buy it now.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
I was just wondering if anyone was thinking of going along to the Master build event next weekend at DownTown Disney, Orlando? I think they want to try and build an 8ft dragon. Not many details, but info is here: http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Orlando/events.aspx

Assuming I'm not working, I'd like to try and pop along. It'll be my first (but hopefully not last) Lego event in the US (I'm from the UK) and I'd quite like to meet some goons there too!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Made a chopper last night.
I call it "the Steed"

That's awesome. Gives me Fallout wibes for some reason.

Also, yay for Lego cooperating with NASA!

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005
After work today I went to Borders to use a 40% off one item coupon I got in my inbox (today was the last day to use it). Initially I had planned to buy The LEGO Book but when I got there I realized they had quite a few sets available. Naturally, I chose the most expensive one, a $95 Slave I. Now I know this is a bit of a markup but I got it for $56 and I thought I would go get store credit at the Raleigh lego store. I remembered someone saying the Lego retail stores had an extremely liberal store-credit policy - is this true? Anyone have any experience with it?

When I was checking out I bought a couple of series two mini figs on a whim. I got a witch and a spartan!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Reetz posted:

...I thought I would go get store credit at the Raleigh lego store. I remembered someone saying the Lego retail stores had an extremely liberal store-credit policy - is this true? Anyone have any experience with it?

Very true. The LEGO Store is great about giving you cash (if bought from LEGO store or L@H) or store credit for any set that is unopened, whether you have a receipt or not. Obviously you would have no receipt since you bought from Border's, and because of that you can ONLY get store credit, but you will get credit in the amount of what you would pay for it at the LEGO store.

ALSO, if there is something you see on the LEGO website but don't see in the Raleigh store, the store will go ahead and order it for you, shipped to your house, and you won't have to pay shipping. So keep that in mind.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

ireladd posted:

Very true. The LEGO Store is great about giving you cash (if bought from LEGO store or L@H) or store credit for any set that is unopened, whether you have a receipt or not. Obviously you would have no receipt since you bought from Border's, and because of that you can ONLY get store credit, but you will get credit in the amount of what you would pay for it at the LEGO store.

ALSO, if there is something you see on the LEGO website but don't see in the Raleigh store, the store will go ahead and order it for you, shipped to your house, and you won't have to pay shipping. So keep that in mind.

Hell yes. Tantive IV / spaceship MOC here I come! I already got the recent shuttle kit and while it has a decent amount of white/black spacey pieces I'm liking the look of all those special white space parts.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I still need the series 2 professor guy and have stuff to trade!

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
I need the pharoah, Spartan, and pop singer. But alas, I think my chances of those are gone and I'm sure as hell not paying scalper's prices for them.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Speaking of trading, if anyone wants/needs the Baywatch girl or a Motorcycle Cop or Weightlifter from series 2 I'd really like one of the Witches.

I have PMs and I always look at this thread.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I finished my Sherman Firefly, armed with a 76mm 17 pounder anti-tank gun and fitted with a Chrysler A57 Multibank Engine,; 5 inline 6 blocks combined to form a 30 cylinder 201 ci engine. Some things look a bit 'off' because I have a limited supply of dark green. I think it came out pretty good.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Bought a sealed set of Series 2 on ebay for $45 free ship. I missed plenty of opportunities here in Orlando to find them in the wild, but I was broke at the time and lazy. Paying someone $11 to find and assemble a set for me seems pretty fuckin' awesome for both of us. Capitalism in action!

S3 is going to be a lot harder to collect, Mascot and I are probably going to split a case and sell the extras.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RE: series 2 trades

kensei posted:

I have an extra surfer, life guard and rock star, and would like to trade for the adventurer guy.

So Ted I can help you out!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

EvilJoven posted:

I finished my Sherman Firefly,

That mechanism for rotating the turret seems obvious, but it's actually really inspired.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flavor Bear posted:

That mechanism for rotating the turret seems obvious, but it's actually really inspired.

Ya. The whole point of it was to have something small that didn't look all that out of place when the turret was removed and let me put the turret on without worrying about the orientation of the turntable.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I don't know why, but I adore those valve covers on the engine. The whole thing looks amazing. The little gunner chair is a nice surprise too (don't know what it's called)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I haven't had a Lego set in probably 15+ years, but I just bought [8038] Battle of Endor for $37 new...

Is this a good set and/or deal to get back into Lego with?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

zenintrude posted:

I haven't had a Lego set in probably 15+ years, but I just bought [8038] Battle of Endor for $37 new...

Is this a good set and/or deal to get back into Lego with?

That's an extremely good deal; its MSRP is $99.99.

ace22b
Jan 3, 2006
Not sure how long this will last but supposedly someone is selling Batman Tumbler for $50 on amazon.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

EvilJoven posted:

I finished my Sherman Firefly, armed with a 76mm 17 pounder anti-tank gun and fitted with a Chrysler A57 Multibank Engine,; 5 inline 6 blocks combined to form a 30 cylinder 201 ci engine. Some things look a bit 'off' because I have a limited supply of dark green. I think it came out pretty good.

Nice Tommy Cooker, but where's the flames coming out of it? :11tea:

Great work, can we have a profile shot of the turret too? I really like the Firefly's sleek 17 pdr gun, I'm curious how it looks in Lego.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 11, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I said I'd take pictures when I got all my craigslist sets assembled, so, here they be (camera phone, and on my own hosting). They're as assembled as I could be bothered to get them. Pieces missing from one set were occasionally found in another set's ziploc, and some altogether missing structural pieces came from my existing collection. If you're familiar with the sets and sharp-eyed, you can see some of the missing bits.

The sets. I barely fit them onto the table.

The Blacktron 2 and Spyrius bases.

My second Ice Station Odyssey. My first was the last Lego set I remember getting before my Dark Ages.

Unitron's base

The lone Aquanauts set

My second Mega Core Magnetizer.

A couple more M:Tron sets and a Blacktron 2 ship.

Another M:Tron ship, a Unitron vehicle, and a few small sets including a badly washed-out Ice Planet rover.

Spyrius UFO, some other small ships from the other lines.

Blacktron 2 ships, washed-out Unitron ship

The two Spyrius robots

My second Galactic Mediator and Solar Snooper, and a couple other SP2 sets

The pair of Exploriens sets in the lot

There were 5 Blacktron 2 landing pad baseplates in the lot; I guess he bought them separately.

All the included minifigs. 50 of them. I'm pretty sure some are missing, but I haven't counted yet. Only one miscolored and two missing visors. Definitely short on the accessories, though.

I haven't gotten around to plugging all the missing parts into Bricklink yet. The parts themselves shouldn't cost too much (few rare pieces), but if I can't source them all from just a handful of sellers, shipping is gonna hurt.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ace22b posted:

Not sure how long this will last but supposedly someone is selling Batman Tumbler for $50 on amazon.

Jumped on this... covered by A-to-Z, so should be safe [still scared because it's a new seller]

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Jumped on this... covered by A-to-Z, so should be safe [still scared because it's a new seller]

I did the same and feel the same. ::fingers crossed::

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Nice Tommy Cooker, but where's the flames coming out of it? :11tea:

Great work, can we have a profile shot of the turret too? I really like the Firefly's sleek 17 pdr gun, I'm curious how it looks in Lego.

I'll set it up, but it doesn't look terribly impressive to be honest. I didn't have the proper pieces for a decent Sherman turret.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010

ace22b posted:

To everyone who "jumped right on this":

...be prepared for a fun time with Amazon's customer service. I just got off the phone with the web manager for Grow Smart Toys (website http://www.growsmarttoys.com/) who was kind enough to let me know what's going on. Amazon has apparently uploaded their product stock information from two or more years ago...when they first attempted to create a seller account. The items it lists are not in stock, and all orders for them will be cancelled.

Moral of the story...if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Mascot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 12, 2010

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Pyroclastic posted:

Tons of Space sets

Thanks for those pictures. I have about half those sets buried at my parent's somewhere and it really takes me back. The big Spyrius robot is the coolest, there is a little mini ship pod that comes out of the robot's back compartment that you can have the cool Spyrius android with the clear helmet pilot. Then the main robot head also detaches into a ship and you can attach the arms to the sides of it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mascot posted:

...be prepared for a fun time with Amazon's customer service. I just got off the phone with the web manager for Grow Smart Toys (website http://www.growsmarttoys.com/) who was kind enough to let me know what's going on. Amazon has apparently uploaded their product stock information from two or more years ago...when they first attempted to create a seller account. The items it lists are not in stock, and all orders for them will be canceled.

It should get auto-canceled and we'll receive an email alerting us of the fact and that our CC was not charged. It's fairly painless...

I tend to "jump on" all deals like this on the off chance (and there have been instances) where the deal is actually there.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I thought this might be a fun little challenge for us.

I got this LEGO education thing in the mail, which was designed for teachers and has three small challenges in the back for students. The pieces are pretty common, so I think it wouldn't be hard for others to get the pieces together and play along. The colors other than the yellow and red ones aren't important, and they aren't that important in the big scheme of things. They are:

4x2 brick (yellow)
2x2 brick (yellow)
2x2 brick (yellow with eyes)
1x2 brick (yellow)
2x4 plate (red)
2x3 plate (red)
4x4 plate (light green)
2x6 brick (green)
1x4 brick (green)
1x2 brick (green)
1x6 brick (light grey)
1x3 brick (dark grey)
2x4 brick (orange)
2x2 brick (orange)
1x1 brick (pink)
2x6 plate (black)
2x4 slope (black)
2x2 plate (white)
2x8 brick (blue)
1x6 brick (blue)

Challenge 1: Build a Duck
Remove the yellow and red LEGO bricks from the LEGO smart kit. Using only these six bricks, ask students to build a LEGO duck within one minute. When they are finished, have students compare their ducks to other ducks in the room. Are any of the ducks exactly alike? What features are similar throughout the designs?

Lesson learned: There are many ways to reach a solution.

Challenge 2: Tallest Tower
Working in pairs, instruct students to build the tallest tower possible from their set of LEGO bricks within a two-minute time period. When complete, have students compare their towers, measuring for accuracy. How did teams decide to construct their towers? Do the students think it would have been easier or harder to build it on their own?

Lesson learned: Some challenges are best accomplished using teamwork.

Challenge 3: Back to Back
Divide students into pairs and give each student an identical set of LEGO bricks. Ask the students to sit back to back so neither can see the other. Instruct Student A to build a structure out of their set of bricks. When they have finished, ask Student A to give only verbal instructions to Student b on how to build the exact same structure. Student B cannot look at Student A's structure or ask questions during the re-construction process. Student A cannot watch Student B's progress. When student B is finished, compare both structures. Are they identical? If not, what could have been done during the activity to correct the errors?

Lesson learned: Not all solutions can be seen, some must be heard.

I've built the duck and the tower, but I'm hesitant to post pictures, because I can only see one way to build a duck, and I want to see if I'm right, and because I think I've done something novel with the tower and want to see if others have the same idea. Oh what the hell. The tower isn't even the tallest possible, I forgot to use two of the bricks. Just as well, I don't have anything to measure it here at the office.
http://imgur.com/7q9ONl.jpg
http://imgur.com/iqUUvl.jpg

I'll build the structure tonight and write a build guide. Anyone can then attempt it and we can compare photos. Others are welcome to make their own structures and build guides which we can then try to match.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zenintrude posted:

It should get auto-canceled and we'll receive an email alerting us of the fact and that our CC was not charged. It's fairly painless...
My card was already charged and I cannot cancel the order. So yeah, I'm down a fair amount of money until they refund it, thanks Amazon!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Welp, glad I didn't give into temptation!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

einTier posted:

Challenge 2: Tallest Tower
Working in pairs, instruct students to build the tallest tower possible from their set of LEGO bricks within a two-minute time period. When complete, have students compare their towers, measuring for accuracy. How did teams decide to construct their towers? Do the students think it would have been easier or harder to build it on their own?

Lesson learned: Some challenges are best accomplished using teamwork.

29 bricks high, conceptually. I don't have my lego at school so I can't actually measure it out, but I think that is the tallest achievable tower.

edit: poo poo. I didn't think of using the bricks vertically. You beat the hell out of my idea.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm thinking about uploading some pics of my creations. I'm wondering what image hosting site would be best for this? Specifically, I'd like a function that reduces the size of images automatically, like Facebook. Does MOCpages do this?

I already have a Brickshelf account, and while images are thumbnailed, they're actually saved at the original resolution (unless there's some setting I've missed), meaning uploading takes forever if you don't resize them manually beforehand.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
I don't know about the others, but there are a lot of clients for flickr on Windows and Macs that allow you to do batch uploads in the background, as well as batch editing (tagging/naming) and flickr does the resizing automatically.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm thinking about uploading some pics of my creations. I'm wondering what image hosting site would be best for this? Specifically, I'd like a function that reduces the size of images automatically, like Facebook. Does MOCpages do this?

I already have a Brickshelf account, and while images are thumbnailed, they're actually saved at the original resolution (unless there's some setting I've missed), meaning uploading takes forever if you don't resize them manually beforehand.

Flickr is about your best bet. It reduces image size incrementally so you can have multiple convenient sizes, without the horrible image compression that Facebook applies. Keep in mind that a basic flickr account only allows up to 200 visible images in your gallery (once you hit 200, it starts moving your oldest pictures into an archive that only you can see) and caps maximum image size at 1024 pixels vertically and horizontally. A pro account forgoes these restrictions, naturally, but at the cost of about 25bux a year.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

3 posted:

Flickr is about your best bet. It reduces image size incrementally so you can have multiple convenient sizes, without the horrible image compression that Facebook applies. Keep in mind that a basic flickr account only allows up to 200 visible images in your gallery (once you hit 200, it starts moving your oldest pictures into an archive that only you can see) and caps maximum image size at 1024 pixels vertically and horizontally. A pro account forgoes these restrictions, naturally, but at the cost of about 25bux a year.

This is why I haven't bothered with flicker... also Captain Scandinaiva, why don't you just adjust the settings on your camera to take smaller pictures? Or you could try GIMP, it's free and I'm pretty sure it can resize images.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
If you don't want to bother using GIMP, just use Aviary! http://www.aviary.com/

poo poo is seriously like an online version of photoshop that gets the basics covered pretty well.

Also that pedophilia thing on BrothersBrick was not at all what I was expecting to see when I wanted to get my MOC fix. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

This is why I haven't bothered with flicker... also Captain Scandinaiva, why don't you just adjust the settings on your camera to take smaller pictures? Or you could try GIMP, it's free and I'm pretty sure it can resize images.

Huh, hadn't even thought of that. Unfortunately, because of my limited amount of pieces, I usually only build two MOCs at a time, photograph them then break them down.
About resising, it's mostly the fact that I need to be able to do it in a batch, resising just above 100 pics is too much. :effort: So unless GIMP can do that... I'll check out flickr

Thanks for all the advice!