Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Also taking commissions.

If you're interested hit me up. cosmic.capra@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Got some more work done on the Storm squad. Excuse the blu-tac and mock-up-edness

Angry, Reloady, and Gunner.

Pilot, Sarge, Lefty

Gunner, Lefty and Angry, pretty much set and glued.

Two variants of Sarge and Reloady. I really like the pose on Reloady (right-most), even if a bolter and a giant knife is a bit much, but I'm split on Sarge. The concrete block he's standing on in the first one still has to be cut in half as it's way too high, and it's barely noticeable in the photo but the second one is reloading behind a chunk of wall. Should I go with Sarge 1 or 2, or switch around who's who, or what?

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nah, seriously though, looks pretty good so far. I'd maybe lose the huge-rear end knife on the scout, but if you like it, leave it. Also, what are those heads from?

Thanks, and the heads are Pig Iron Heavy Infantry heads. They kick rear end.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Would anybody happen to have the Orc raider with pig? I love this mini and want one to paint:

email is battosai810 at gmail dot com.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

spacegoat posted:

Also taking commissions.

If you're interested hit me up. cosmic.capra@gmail.com

What the gently caress, who are you and where have you been :circlefap:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

SRM posted:

Would anybody happen to have the Orc raider with pig? I love this mini and want one to paint:

email is battosai810 at gmail dot com.

I'm pretty certain that's a mail order only item and is still available from gw? Probably exorbitantly priced but eh.. if you get no offers v:shobon:v

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Sole.Sushi posted:

What the gently caress, who are you and where have you been :circlefap:

Didn't have a schedule conducive to oathing, but now I'm free and looking to make some hams happy :slick:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Some guy's Cronos Parasite Engine

Fix posted:

Did I ever follow up with you on those ogryn?

Nope. Still interested?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope. Still interested?

Indeed. I went and got a bunch of the old 2nd ed ones, which are cartoonishly awesome, but the themed ones would probably be better overall.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Not enough topknots.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope. Still interested?

What's the face/head from?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Too much?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You... you made a 3d John Blanche painting, Fix.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

In fairness, this could have been a lot worse. If he sands the greenstuff and replace the head with something more mechanical (or just cut off the dumb jaw) it could be pretty neat. Then again, I don't have that model right in front of me and it's only the one angle I can see.

E: Crime Fighting Hog, I believe it's from the apocalypse upgrade sprue. I think this was for the defiler upgrade.

E2: Yup. It's upside down here, though. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440335a&prodId=prod770023a

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 8, 2010

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Oh man do I hate how my minis look when I take photos of them.

http://i53.tinypic.com/33zejh1.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/jtkiz8.jpg

Anyway, going to working on an autumn-themed wood elf blood bowl team, and threw together some test models, seen above. I preferably want them to look similar to that fantastic autumn flock I picked up. With that in mind, I have 2 questions:

-Should I consider adding some of the flock to the dryad's hair, to make it blend in even further?
-I want to use a pallette of orange, yellow, red, brown and possibly some green for the wood elves, but I think it looks pretty poo poo at the moment (that's why I haven't highlighted and washed yet). How would you guys recommend painting the elves in an autumn scheme?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You... you made a 3d John Blanche painting, Fix.

Have you actually seen Blanche's minis? They're pretty great, here's the only picture I could find on the GW website.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 8, 2010

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Too much?

Just right.

Now paint all your Vostroyans like this

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Wazzu posted:

Anyway, going to working on an autumn-themed wood elf blood bowl team, and threw together some test models, seen above. I preferably want them to look similar to that fantastic autumn flock I picked up. With that in mind, I have 2 questions:

-Should I consider adding some of the flock to the dryad's hair, to make it blend in even further?
-I want to use a pallette of orange, yellow, red, brown and possibly some green for the wood elves, but I think it looks pretty poo poo at the moment (that's why I haven't highlighted and washed yet). How would you guys recommend painting the elves in an autumn scheme?

The tree looks good because it is primarily brown, with a few drops of color in the leaves. But for the elves, try not use so many colors on the same model, it tends to look really busy. I would say to pick either orange, yellow, or red and have that be your primary color, to go along with brown to form the base for all your models. Then, for every model, pick one of the Y/O/R trio to paint some of your details in. Say you pick orange in the beginning, some models will be Orange/Brown/Red, some will be Orange/Brown/Yellow, but orange will always be the strongest warm color on those models.

Or you could just kill the other two warm colors, stick with brown and one warm color, and then say khaki for the details, and rely on the cool bases to bring in more of the fall palette.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bachtere posted:

The tree looks good because it is primarily brown, with a few drops of color in the leaves. But for the elves, try not use so many colors on the same model, it tends to look really busy. I would say to pick either orange, yellow, or red and have that be your primary color, to go along with brown to form the base for all your models. Then, for every model, pick one of the Y/O/R trio to paint some of your details in. Say you pick orange in the beginning, some models will be Orange/Brown/Red, some will be Orange/Brown/Yellow, but orange will always be the strongest warm color on those models.

Or you could just kill the other two warm colors, stick with brown and one warm color, and then say khaki for the details, and rely on the cool bases to bring in more of the fall palette.

Thanks for the advice. I've 'cut it down' to graveyard earth and catachan green as the main colours, with scorched brown for the leather and orange as a flash colour. I may use a strange catachan green/camo green hybrid in the end instead, but I think I can work with this, unless you have further suggestions.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Wazzu posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've 'cut it down' to graveyard earth and catachan green as the main colours, with scorched brown for the leather and orange as a flash colour. I may use a strange catachan green/camo green hybrid in the end instead, but I think I can work with this, unless you have further suggestions.

That looks a lot better. Should look great with that flock.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

Just right.

Now paint all your Vostroyans like this

:suicide:

56 Lasgunners complete! I'm just glad to be able to move onto some new models. Gonna try to get all the plasma going like that, but there's a bit less to be done with the flamers and the grenade launchers. Gotta try converting a few of one or the other to Melta, since they didn't bother to make any Vossies with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

:suicide:

56 Lasgunners complete! I'm just glad to be able to move onto some new models. Gonna try to get all the plasma going like that, but there's a bit less to be done with the flamers and the grenade launchers. Gotta try converting a few of one or the other to Melta, since they didn't bother to make any Vossies with them.

Well goddamn, those are looking nice. What are you thinking for bases?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SRM posted:

Well goddamn, those are looking nice. What are you thinking for bases?

Light urban ruins in snow. A bit weedy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Didn't get any painting done this weekend. But I did make some characters!

Put together a mounted Prince, nothing special, built completely using normal Plastickit Prince parts. However I did some conversion work on one of the Island of Blood mages.

I may have gone a bit overboard with his gaudy hat. You can't really see his face underneath that huge crescent moon. Even worse is I'm considering shaving down the sides of a bow and sticking them on either side of the helmet like this guy did on his Teclis conversion. Though I was considering having them sweep back rather than just curve inward. If I do that, I might redo the head all together, that crescent is really just too huge... maybe. I'm not sure! I also need to either greenstuff that hole in his chest or find something to cover it up with that doesn't look odd. Either way, this guy will hopefully come out as a nice arch-mage.

Aside from that I also kitbashed a mounted mage using the body of the Dragon mage and a tiranoc chariot horse. Given that a mounted mage is kinda-sorta useless, he's pretty much intended as a display piece, hence the 50mm base. Besides, even if I did put him on a normal cavalry base, he'd never be able to rank up with those huge flowing robes! I love how dynamic it is coming out, the mini has a nice sense of speed to it. I still need to do a bit of work on the saddle area, but I'm not sure what to do. I suppose I could just leave it as it is, using the IoB Griffin chair back and a bit of greenstuff.

I have no idea how I want to paint either one of these guys. But I might just enter the mounted mage in a local painting competition that is coming up at the end of the year. As a novice I know I'll never win, but gotta start sometime. :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wazzu posted:

Have you actually seen Blanche's minis? They're pretty great, here's the only picture I could find on the GW website.

John Blanche's Skaven are the stuff of nightmares, probably the "scariest" minis I've seen. Can't find a pic though.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Can anyone suggest some good "swarm" miniatures that would fit well with Nurglings? I'm looking to add a bit of variety into my Nurgling stands and so far I have grubs and rats. I was looking for some pretty generic individual spiders or toads or other nasty forest creatures, but most swarm minis seem to be all fused together.

Edit: Reaper and GW's familiars are really close, but seem a bit too friendly/silly.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 8, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Wazzu posted:

Ughhh, gently caress checkers. I'll give him a lot of respect for doing that, just as I do anyone doing Orks and painting checkers all over their armies. I definitely do not have the patience for that poo poo at all.

I'm not terribly surprised Blanche does Chaos Marines, though.

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!
I have an idea for some pretty cool terrain, but I have to cut up some old metal models to make it. Any suggestions on what I should use to cut the metal? I was thinking a diamond tooth blade, but that sounds like overkill. I was going to use a hacksaw or a jewelers saw. Would a regular blade work, or would it kill the blade?

Thanks!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

prxi posted:

I have an idea for some pretty cool terrain, but I have to cut up some old metal models to make it. Any suggestions on what I should use to cut the metal? I was thinking a diamond tooth blade, but that sounds like overkill. I was going to use a hacksaw or a jewelers saw. Would a regular blade work, or would it kill the blade?

Thanks!

Jewelers saw should be fine, failing that you could use a dremel if you have access to one.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

prxi posted:

Thanks!

Lead/pewter is like butter to any kind of metal-intended saw, no worries about damaging the teeth. Just be careful with the particles you make.

You generally want to use a razor saw when cutting up minis so that you remove the least amount of material from the model- the blade is thinner than a typical hacksaw (1mm hacksaw vs .5mm razorsaw)(not real numbers, but you get the point.) I couldn't speak for a jeweler's saw, but they seem thinner than a typical hacksaw.

That said, if you're just hacking up the models to make pieces, then you should be able to just go hog wild. It's probably not going to matter if you turn half of a marine's neck to dust, as you won't be trying to reattach it.

e: enri! :argh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

prxi posted:

Thanks!

What models are you chopping up? Old metal dreadnoughts/killa kans?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
A jeweler's saw is a fantastic tool, just be sure to get plenty of extra blades for it as they tend to snap when working around things with weird detail like miniatures. Although if you're just sawing things in half or whatever, a razor saw will probably work fine, and not need additional investment in blades.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Proof of concept for my Eternal Guard conversions.

The helmet took a long bloody time and still isn't right, and Spearmen heads are a fair bit less androgynous than their WE cousins, but I think it works nicely once the cape and shield are in place.
I need an emblem for the shield though. Does anyone know of anything?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Looks nice except for the old HE gorilla hands. Not much you can do about that though, keep on truckin' with the rest if the unit.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nope. Still interested?

That face is going "HOOOOOLY poo poo GUYS".

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

SRM posted:

What models are you chopping up? Old metal dreadnoughts/killa kans?

Yeah it's an old killa kan, I plan to give it away as a gift once I finish it. I'm going to make it into terrain. A nice rocket hole in its side, buried in the ground, claw raised in the attempt to catch the rocket :)

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I'm getting back into war gaming for the first time since high school and wanted some general advice of paints. Which company's are good value on brushes and paints? Is there any companies that i should avoid buying from? And is anybody in Australia who knows of a good retailer either online or bricks and mortar for this kind of stuff?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

prxi posted:

I plan to give it away as a gift once I finish it.

This is like a hint aobut a society so wonderful, I want to live in it. Like the Avatar world, only with people who like painting small catholic super soldiers and mutant soccer hooligans.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Calico Noose posted:

I'm getting back into war gaming for the first time since high school and wanted some general advice of paints. Which company's are good value on brushes and paints? Is there any companies that i should avoid buying from? And is anybody in Australia who knows of a good retailer either online or bricks and mortar for this kind of stuff?

Brushes: army painter brushes have a pretty good ratio of price:effectiveness, P3 studio brushes if you're looking for entry-level natural hair ones. Winsor Newton Series 7s and Raphael 8404s are outstanding and well worth the money, but the quality does come at a price premium. I also like to hit an art store for a pack of cheap synthetics every now and then so I can abuse the poo poo out of them drybrushing and slopping on washes, which tend to wick up into the ferrule of the brush obnoxiously.

Paint: in the hobby paint field, I think Vallejo is best in terms of cost per quantity, with Reaper and P3 in the middle, and GW on the bottom by a fair margin. Craft paints like Delta Ceramcoat (not sure if they even sell that particular brand in Australia) are far cheaper, but you may occasionally have issues thinning them effectively when comparing to the very fine and liquid pigments that hobby paints tend to use to justify their prices (not that you can't paint well with them, just look at anything KingMob's done). Hobby paints you may want to keep an eye out for: GW's foundation paints and Vallejo's super-opaques are both a group of colors that cover extremely well, and are very nice for use while basecoating. Similarly, GW's washes are pretty great, many on this forum will sing you the praises of badab black and devlan mud. Vallejo recently came out with a similar range, which I've heard positive things about, but have not tried personally.

Other stuff: a tub of The Masters' Brush Cleaner is highly recommended, and can probably be located at any art store worth the name. There's a bunch of additives you can play around with (matte medium, slo-dri/retarder, flow aid, etc are all available with much better value in art shops), but the things topping my shopping list on my first outing to an art shop would be the aforementioned packet of cheap brushes, a cheap multi-well plastic palette, and a dropper bottle to keep my thinning water in.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Calico Noose posted:

And is anybody in Australia who knows of a good retailer either online or bricks and mortar for this kind of stuff?
Maelstrom Games will give you the best deals on approximately everything.
They're pretty slow, though, so...

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Maelstrom Games will give you the best deals on approximately everything.
They're pretty slow, though, so...

I'm ordering an Earthen Dire Troll and a Dire Troll Mauler from them for christmas, how long should i expect to wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Is there any US-based online bits store that has both 40k and Fantasy, and not at insane prices? I'm not gonna pay 6 bucks for a single multimelta at the Warstore, and although Bitz Barn has (most) of the Skaven and Marine bits I'm looking for, everything is out of stock there.

• Locked thread