Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know the clone wars show is a mixed bag here, but I really like it. I'm going through the season two dvds for the first time, and I'm continually surprised at how adult this show (usually) is. Torturing a jedi to death? Flamethrowers on geonosians? In the middle of the brain stealers episode, and it's cool seeing hints of anakin's turn when he force chokes poggle. Jesus Bariss Offee just begged Ahsoka to kill her. Does this keep up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I know the clone wars show is a mixed bag here, but I really like it. I'm going through the season two dvds for the first time, and I'm continually surprised at how adult this show (usually) is. Torturing a jedi to death? Flamethrowers on geonosians? In the middle of the brain stealers episode, and it's cool seeing hints of anakin's turn when he force chokes poggle. Jesus Bariss Offee just begged Ahsoka to kill her. Does this keep up?

I really liked that Geonosis invasion 2-parter with the flamethrowers at first, but it was kind of troubling. The series takes pretty much every opportunity to vilify the Separatists and it all feel really unnecessary and forced. They use human shields, they kill civilians, they even talk evil-y. All that's missing are evil mustachios on all the droids.

In fights the clones just take hits and fall over, but in that invasion episode for instance, they have these bug people screaming whilst on fire and being dismembered and apparently it's all ok because they're "the bad guys". I know the series isn't supposed to be thought provoking high art but then they'll do some boring council poo poo that's supposed to be all shades of gray and it's totally in opposition to the action parts of the show.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

I take it you've never been to the theforce.net forums, where Luke is OBVIOUSLY Jesus and so is Vader. Also, Mandalorians are the Jews.

-----signature-----
I only pose as a Sith to bring them down from within. The Jedi are my brotherhood, my family, and the Living Force is my salvation.
ANH > ROTJ > ESB > TPM > ROTS > AOTC
Live for Jesus
TPM 3D in theaters 2012
e-married to Lady_Jedi93

What the heck? Is ESB lacking in Christian morality somehow? How could someone rank it anywhere close to TPM?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Diacritical Mark posted:

What the heck? Is ESB lacking in Christian morality somehow? How could someone rank it anywhere close to TPM?

I'd be more worried he's e-married to a 17 year old girl, but maybe he's using Padme/Anakin as his moral center.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kingtheninja posted:

In the middle of the brain stealers episode, and it's cool seeing hints of anakin's turn when he force chokes poggle. Jesus Bariss Offee just begged Ahsoka to kill her. Does this keep up?

I think thats the only episode I watched, and I loved how that one small scene of Anakin just saying 'I dont need mind tricks' and beating the gently caress outta that dude did more to show Anakins fall to the dark side way better than the entire PT.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hey I thought you all would like to know that reading this thread has kept me from ever buying TFU 1 and 2, and when I had the inkling to do so over the weekend I didn't. Then I read page 53 and I decided not only will I never buy TFU, but...I may just...never do anything with Star Wars again.

It's as if my adult self has murdered my inner child for the sole purpose of keeping it pure and untainted, forever naive of what the real world is like and will do to it.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

DSM IV posted:

NPD:
* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
* Rarely acknowledges mistakes and/or imperfections
* Requires excessive admiration
* Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* Lacks empathy: is unwilling or unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
* Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitude.

That's pretty drat close to how Anakin acts. Which begs the question, does the Jedi order even screen their "applicants" for personality disorders? At least have some sort of contingency plan in case one of your padewans starts showing signs of mental instability.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

NeonTurtle posted:

That's pretty drat close to how Anakin acts. Which begs the question, does the Jedi order even screen their "applicants" for personality disorders? At least have some sort of contingency plan in case one of your padewans starts showing signs of mental instability.

The Jedi are naturally haughty and arrogant anyway so I imagine someone with NPD would slip right through based on personal bias.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I really liked that Geonosis invasion 2-parter with the flamethrowers at first, but it was kind of troubling. The series takes pretty much every opportunity to vilify the Separatists and it all feel really unnecessary and forced. They use human shields, they kill civilians, they even talk evil-y. All that's missing are evil mustachios on all the droids.

In fights the clones just take hits and fall over, but in that invasion episode for instance, they have these bug people screaming whilst on fire and being dismembered and apparently it's all ok because they're "the bad guys". I know the series isn't supposed to be thought provoking high art but then they'll do some boring council poo poo that's supposed to be all shades of gray and it's totally in opposition to the action parts of the show.

I know there are some instances with clones dying a bit more brutally than normal. The brain stealers episode for instance, one of the possessed clones gets run through with a lightsaber. There are other examples I can't recall right now but they are definitely few and far between.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

dialhforhero posted:

Hey I thought you all would like to know that reading this thread has kept me from ever buying TFU 1 and 2, and when I had the inkling to do so over the weekend I didn't. Then I read page 53 and I decided not only will I never buy TFU, but...I may just...never do anything with Star Wars again.

It's as if my adult self has murdered my inner child for the sole purpose of keeping it pure and untainted, forever naive of what the real world is like and will do to it.

TFU 1 wasn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but yeah avoid 2.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rent TFU at least if you want to try it out. Don't touch the PC version as it was a poo poo conversion.

But get drunk and pretend not to give a poo poo about the canon while playing it.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Kingtheninja posted:

I know there are some instances with clones dying a bit more brutally than normal. The brain stealers episode for instance, one of the possessed clones gets run through with a lightsaber. There are other examples I can't recall right now but they are definitely few and far between.

There's a particularly brutal bit from Season 3, where Ventress impales a clone on her lightsaber. The kiss was cut from broadcast.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ARC_Troopers_(episode)#Behind_the_scenes

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
TFU is honestly worth a play if you haven't played it. Just don't touch the Wii port either, not only is it ugly as gently caress but it repeats itself more than a Devil May Cry game in terms of level design.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

TFU is honestly worth a play if you haven't played it. Just don't touch the Wii port either, not only is it ugly as gently caress but it repeats itself more than a Devil May Cry game in terms of level design.

The Wii/Playstation 2 version can be considered a completely separate game.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NeonTurtle posted:

The Wii/Playstation 2 version can be considered a completely separate game.

It's not exactly a port, more of something akin to a Hong Kong knock off. Most PS2 and Wii ports usually are to tell the truth.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

It's not exactly a port, more of something akin to a Hong Kong knock off. Most PS2 and Wii ports usually are to tell the truth.

Yeah, who would've thought that trying to fit The Force Unleashed on last generation gaming systems would be problematic?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

NGL posted:

There's a particularly brutal bit from Season 3, where Ventress impales a clone on her lightsaber. The kiss was cut from broadcast.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ARC_Troopers_(episode)#Behind_the_scenes

Holy poo poo.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone gotten The Jedi Path? I'm kind of tempted to manchild it up after Christmas and get it from Amazon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress no, it's the most retarded thing yet.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress no, it's the most retarded thing yet.

The Force tester is worse but the Jedi Path is pretty bad and overpriced. I honestly just want to read it but I've never seen a physical copy of it. My passing interest in it is pretty awful I admit as well.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

The Force tester is worse but the Jedi Path is pretty bad and overpriced. I honestly just want to read it but I've never seen a physical copy of it. My passing interest in it is pretty awful I admit as well.

Have you tried looking around your local library? My local library allows me to check every library in the state for a book. If anyone has it, they'll ship it on over so I can check it out. Maybe yours has something similar.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NeonTurtle posted:

Have you tried looking around your local library? My local library allows me to check every library in the state for a book. If anyone has it, they'll ship it on over so I can check it out. Maybe yours has something similar.

A library in New Jersey and another in Washington both have it apparently. It's also checked out with holds in both cases as well.

I think I'll just wait until they come out with a non-vault, not so ridiculous edition. I like reading about the Jedi but from what I've found online it doesn't seem to be something to go crazy over by any stretch.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

NeonTurtle posted:

Interlibrary loan is a wonderful thing that many (if not most) libraries participate in. Most people are oblivious to this fact. It's a shame, really. It's like pre-internet file-sharing.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

NGL posted:

Interlibrary loan is a wonderful thing that many (if not most) libraries participate in. Most people are oblivious to this fact. It's a shame, really. It's like pre-internet file-sharing.

Tell me about it. I was able to put in a request for "The Secret History of Star Wars" from some college. Sure beats having to buy the book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It'd be loving hilarious if they let you check out the vault version, even more so from interlibrary loan.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

It'd be loving hilarious if they let you check out the vault version, even more so from interlibrary loan.

I'm sure they would just glue all the extra crap into the book itself as pages. That's what they usually do with errata and maps.

I would imagine some education libraries at major universities would have it as an in library use only item. My former college's had all kinds of ridiculous children's books and toys that you could check out for a few hours.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Also doesn't help that Kenobi acts like he's pure evil through the whole OT. No mention of "Oh, yeah, by the way. I should probably tell you that, despite all the hosed up poo poo he did, your mother believed there is still some good in him. Perhaps there is."

Well... Padme got killed for her trouble, which (a) arguably proves her assessment - driven as it is by some unJedi feelings of attachment wrong, and (b) highlights the risks involved in giving peace a chance when dealing with the guy, so Obi-Wan wouldn't want to risk his new golden boy, and has no problem lying to serve his own agenda.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really explained. As mentioned there's some indication he's letting himself get captured. This doesn't explain why either of the Jedi present as his capture don't wonder what the deal is with him not force choking everything in a three mile radius.

It's well in line with Obi-Wan in that energy field in AotC being helpless as a bantha cub :goonsay:

Which was also dumb as hell, but also it was OMG-Canon or whatever.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2010

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Angry Midwesterner posted:

It's well in line with Obi-Wan in that energy field in AotC being helpless as a bantha cub :goonsay:

Which was also dumb as hell, but also it was OMG-Canon or whatever.

Another possible explanation is that Starkiller's clone fried the poo poo out of Vader's suit with his amplified force lightning and he was running on a combination of barely-functioning life support equipment and a considerable portion of his dark side powers to survive. Seriously, though, how the gently caress did Vader live through that assault only to keel over to ten seconds of Palpatine's lightning in RotJ?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TwoSheds posted:

Another possible explanation is that Starkiller's clone fried the poo poo out of Vader's suit with his amplified force lightning and he was running on a combination of barely-functioning life support equipment and a considerable portion of his dark side powers to survive. Seriously, though, how the gently caress did Vader live through that assault only to keel over to ten seconds of Palpatine's lightning in RotJ?

Obviously because as per the Saga Edition RPG Palpatine was a level 20 character at that time. Starkiller was maybe lvl 16 at the time of TFU2.

All issues with TFU can be dealt with by saying its fanfiction while the original trilogy was a masterpiece of science fiction. Vader died because it had meaning, not because of some 13 year old's dream scenario.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TwoSheds posted:

Palpatine had higher power midichlorian levels.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Obviously because as per the Saga Edition RPG Palpatine was a level 20 character at that time. Starkiller was maybe lvl 16 at the time of TFU2.

All issues with TFU can be dealt with by saying its fanfiction while the original trilogy was a masterpiece of science fiction. Vader died because it had meaning, not because of some 13 year old's dream scenario.

Not really because it is considered movie-level canon according to GL.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

Personal canon is the only canon.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

LLJKSiLk posted:

The last person who's going to tell me how to enjoy Star Wars is George Lucas, which is why I can still enjoy the OT without the burden of the ridiculous-sounding EU (most of which I've never read) and wondering how video games apply to some ridiculous sense of fiction "canon".

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Derek Dominoe posted:

The last person who's going to tell me how to enjoy Star Wars is George Lucas, which is why I can still enjoy the OT without the burden of the ridiculous-sounding EU (most of which I've never read) and wondering how video games apply to some ridiculous sense of fiction "canon".

I agree with you. But you have the two sides of the argument. We each enjoy Star Wars in our own way. I for instance, am a big fan of I.M.P.S. and enjoy seeing a more sympathetic/realistic view of the Empire instead of the cartoonishly evil caricatures we are asked to accept by George Lucas. But on the flip side, people will say "nah nah I don't care what the books say the whole Empire is evil!"

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Derek Dominoe posted:

Nothing in the EU is worse than what Lucas put into the prequels.

Midichlorians, Shmi's virgin birth, Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???), Gungans, elected 14-year-old queens. And that's not even the worst prequel movie.

Seriously, what's the stupidest thing in the EU books/comics, the Jedi Prince series? At least those made some kind of sense compared to the Trade Federation dispute. I can understand why Trioculus was hunting endangered Whaladons, even if it's stupid. I have no goddamned idea what is going on in The Phantom Menace.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Suenteus Po posted:

Nothing in the EU is worse than what Lucas put into the prequels.

Midichlorians, Shmi's virgin birth, Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???), Gungans, elected 14-year-old queens. And that's not even the worst prequel movie.

Seriously, what's the stupidest thing in the EU books/comics, the Jedi Prince series? At least those made some kind of sense compared to the Trade Federation dispute. I can understand why Trioculus was hunting endangered Whaladons, even if it's stupid. I have no goddamned idea what is going on in The Phantom Menace.

Three words: Psychic Force Clit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

NGL posted:

Does this have something to do with FoTJ?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

NGL posted:

Ok, I really need to know the context behind this one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If we're going to fight over which has stupider concepts (EU or movies) we might as well just give up and go get laid.

It is a argument without an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does this have something to do with FoTJ?

No.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Ok, I really need to know the context behind this one.

I don't remember which novel it's from (there's a bit with Lando betting on blob racing), but at one point, Luke starts psychically exploring Leia's brain (for Force sensitivity, I believe) and in the very back, he finds a little psychic protuberance. When he... probes it with the Force, it knocks him on his rear end. Only Force-sensitive have the psychic Force clit.