Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I picked up House.

This is the best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/1411669154594816

Jim Carrey posted:

Doin' commentary 4 Cable Guy rerelease on blue ray.It'll be great but you'll have to wait forever 4 it to load... cuz it's so advanced! 8^}

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah Stiller talked about this a bit ago on his twitter. Says it will be out the first part of 2011 I think.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember, but this is (I believe) Carrey's first commentary.

e: nevermind, he did one for Horton.
double e: okay, no he didn't. So this is his first one after all.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 8, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

I remember, but this is (I believe) Carrey's first commentary.

e: nevermind, he did one for Horton.
double e: okay, no he didn't. So this is his first one after all.

I think the fact that Sony is pulling out all of the stops for The Cable Guy should be news enough (considering how horrible the DVD is) even if this isn't Carrey's first commentary

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

doctor thodt posted:

Cable Guy stuff.

I am really, really, unusually excited for this now. Cable Guy is one of my ultimate guilty pleasure movies and if they do this Blu right I will be first in line to pick it up.

"the password is...... nipple"

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How long is the Criteron sale going on? I really, really want Montery Pop Festival but can't afford it until some paychecks come in.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

I think the fact that Sony is pulling out all of the stops for The Cable Guy should be news enough (considering how horrible the DVD is) even if this isn't Carrey's first commentary

I guess if they'll release Ishtar, they'll release anything :haw:

Asnorban posted:

How long is the Criteron sale going on? I really, really want Montery Pop Festival but can't afford it until some paychecks come in.

Ends the 21st

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Asnorban posted:

This just reminded me: What's the difference between 'Jimi Plays Monterey & Shake! Otis at Monterey', 'Monterey Pop' and 'The Complete Monterey Pop Festival' Criterions?

Is the 'Complete' exactly what it says it is and just the first two in the same package? And is that the one we should be buying?

edit: Nevermind, I answered my own question.

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/326-the-complete-monterey-pop-festival

quote:

The Criterion Collection is proud to present the most comprehensive document of the Monterey International Pop Festival ever produced, featuring the films Monterey Pop, Jimi Plays Monterey, and Shake! Otis at Monterey, along with every available complete performance filmed by Pennebaker and his crew.

William Pahllace fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 8, 2010

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Whoever designed the Back to the Future set case can go straight to hell. We also have a high water mark for using digital copies to inflate disc count. They couldn't fit all three one DVD?

I realize everyone else got this like a week ago.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheScott2K posted:

Whoever designed the Back to the Future set case can go straight to hell. We also have a high water mark for using digital copies to inflate disc count. They couldn't fit all three one DVD?

I realize everyone else got this like a week ago.

Better yet, why do we even need the digital copy disc? You have to enter a code into iTunes or wherever anyway, so couldn't we just get a digital download code and download it directly from the internet instead of a one-use-only disc?

MasterKickface
Jul 3, 2007
Big in face kicking circles

El Jackalope posted:

Oh hey B&N is having a 50% off Criterion Blu Ray sale.

http://bit.ly/bn1UeJ

This is great. I picked up Seven Samurai and House.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

hey Sporadic, just making sure you've received the email I sent a few days back?
regarding the Third Man case?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

William Pahllace posted:

I am really, really, unusually excited for this now. Cable Guy is one of my ultimate guilty pleasure movies and if they do this Blu right I will be first in line to pick it up.

"the password is...... nipple"
I really, really love The Cable Guy, and I think anybody who hated it on first viewing should give it another chance.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thoughts at 4AM: Remember when Goldeneye was supposed to come out at the beginning of 09 in that second wave of Bond titles but never did? Are we seriously going to have to wait until the next loving Bond movie, which may OR MAY NOT come out in 2012?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Add Scary Movie to the list of movies where the HDTV cap is better than the Blu-Ray.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/2455/

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
They both look like total garbage in one way or another.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Howl 1/4
The Social Network 1/11

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Lethal Weapon Old vs. New.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/2439/picture:0

One step forward, two steps back...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Enter The Void is set for January 25th from Mpi Home Video (which is kind of strange, I thought IFC/Criterion had the rights to this one in America)

The preorder is up on Amazon for $21.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048LPRD2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0048LPRD2

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mustach posted:

They both look like total garbage in one way or another.

At least the TV capture is just a mediocre transfer, the BluRay is a mediocre transfer with a ridiculous amount of smoothing.

Not that I imagine many people caring how Scary Movie looks.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

Looks like Enter The Void is set for January 25th from Mpi Home Video (which is kind of strange, I thought IFC/Criterion had the rights to this one in America)

The preorder is up on Amazon for $21.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048LPRD2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0048LPRD2

I'm not sure what the specific relationship is between MPI and IFC, but MPI has distributed several IFC titles on home video (Five Minutes of Heaven, Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, etc). Awesome that this is getting a BD release so soon though.

e: Excalibur 3/8

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I'm not sure what the specific relationship is between MPI and IFC, but MPI has distributed several IFC titles on home video (Five Minutes of Heaven, Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, etc). Awesome that this is getting a BD release so soon though.

e: Excalibur 3/8

MPI releases the majority of IFC's films. I think they may have a part ownership of IFC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone with a copy of The Twilight Zone season 1, can you do me a favor?

Does it come with English subtitles for the episodes, and maybe some of the bonus features? Mainly curious if there's any English subtitles at all, then maybe the extent to which they're present.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone with a copy of The Twilight Zone season 1, can you do me a favor?

Does it come with English subtitles for the episodes, and maybe some of the bonus features? Mainly curious if there's any English subtitles at all, then maybe the extent to which they're present.

Yes, but they're in all caps, which is really annoying.

I believe some of the extras are subbed, can't recall.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best Buy's 90 day holiday price match guarantee is now in effect, so if you were wanting to pick up Scott Pilgrim tomorrow but opting to wait for a better price, you can grab it now and get an adjustment any time within the next 3 months if the price comes down (which it inevitably will). Pretty sure Target also has a 90 day policy year-round as well.

My most anticipated release tomorrow is not Scott Pilgrim, however, as I am a gay little Depeche Mode fanboy.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 9, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
That commentary for The Cable Guy was recorded with not only Jim Carrey, but Judd Apatow and Ben Stiller as well.

http://twitter.com/JuddApatow/status/1516922667540480

So awesome that they're pulling out all the stops for this movie. Sony :love:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Let's hope the transfer is top notch as well

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Yeah, I can actually imagine The Cable Guy looking drat fantastic on Blu-Ray.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm probably in the minority, but Ben Stiller on the commentary is a negative for me. Why not just have Carrey and Broderick?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Well, he directed it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Red posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but Ben Stiller on the commentary is a negative for me. Why not just have Carrey and Broderick?

I actually quite like Ben Stiller as a director, so I'm pretty interested in what he has to say.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A Man Escaped - region-free and with English subtitles!

Goddamn, I might have to import this. It's a lot of money, but it's my favorite Bresson.

Bodyguards and Assassins
The Horde

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

My most anticipated release tomorrow is not Scott Pilgrim, however, as I am a gay little Depeche Mode fanboy.
It's okay, you're not alone. :sissies: I'm not into concert films, but I saw them on that tour and they put on a great show. There were a lot of cool visuals that should justify the Blu-ray as if the sound quality didn't.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Red posted:

Haha I've never seen someone say a commentary including the director is a bad thing. Do you not like Stiller? I know he had made some crappy cash in movies, but he can be pretty funny.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BFI is releasing 2 more Ozu discs in January - Good Morning / I was Born But... and Equinox Flower / There was a Father.

This website suggests that Criterion has A Canterbury Tale, The Jungle Book and The Scarlet Pimpernel lined up for Blu-Ray releases.

Animal Kingdom 1/18 (yes!!)

The Twilight Zone Season 2 reviewed

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

This website suggests that Criterion has A Canterbury Tale, The Jungle Book and The Scarlet Pimpernel lined up for Blu-Ray releases.

Looks like Canterbury Tales (Pasolini), not A Canterbury Tale (Powell & Pressburger).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Indeed, my mistake.

e: Twilight Zone S2 is $54.99 at gohastings. They charge you shipping and possibly tax, but it's still cheaper than Amazon.

http://www.gohastings.com/product/MOVIE/The-Twilight-Zone-Season-2/sku/282339159.uts

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Target Black Friday deals

$7.99 each
LotR individuals/Taken/Wanted/Gran Torino/select others

$12.99 each
Inglourious Basterds/Clash of the Titans (2010)/The Hangover/Zombieland/select others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

The Digital Bits reviewed the Avatar Collector's Edition. Some choice excerpts:

quote:

Video (1-20): 19
Audio (1-20): 19.5
Extras: A-

...having now seen the new Extended Collector's Edition cut of the film, I think it's definitely a richer and more complete experience.

Video-wise, it's clear to me that Fox has continued to work very carefully on the compression and encoding for the film since the original Blu-ray release, because the 1080p video looks just as good here as it did on the previous disc. In fact, it almost seems a little more natural looking, with just a hair less compression artifacting in the most detailed scenes.

Disc Two of the 3-BD set includes the Filmmaker's Journey features. These are broken into 4 sections: Deleted Scenes, Capturing Avatar, A Message from Pandora and Production Materials. The first of these, Deleted Scenes, is just what it sounds like. There's 67 minutes of footage in all, encompassing some 45 minutes of actual deleted material. The level of completion in these scenes varies from fully finished to partly to very rough. A viewing guide explains how to watch them and what you're seeing. Nothing that's here is extraordinary, and I can understand why most of it was cut, but again the little additional glimpses of plot and character you get here really add to your appreciation of the overall story.

Capturing Avatar is special edition producer Laurent Bouzereau's 4-part documentary on the making of the film, from the origins of the idea and the start of pre-production and the long technological development effort, through filming and post-production to the film's debut. It runs about 98 minutes in all, and there's fascinating stuff to be seen throughout. This is clear right off the bat, when you get to see a bit of the test footage Cameron created for his aborted Brother Termite film project - footage that was effectively the first test for the motion capture process used on Avatar

Disc Three is called the Pandora's Box, and it includes my favorite of this set's bonus content. First, there are fully 65-minutes worth of Scene Deconstructions. Essentially, Cameron and his team have taken some 17 different scenes from the film, and compiled them here with 3 different synched HD video streams. Using your player's remote, you can switch on the fly between the Final Film with PIP (the Red button on your remote), the Template stage (Green button) and the Performance Capture stage (Yellow button). Switching on the fly is easy - there's about a 2 second delay while the switch happens, but it worked perfectly for me on the Oppo BDP-83. The disc also includes some 17 Production Featurettes - again all in HD - on various aspects of the project, from the 3D Fusion Cam to the sound design to the creation of the Na'vi language and even the development of the flying vehicles seen in the film

Ultimately, this new 3-disc Blu-ray allows casual fans of Avatar to gain a much deeper appreciation of all this, while encouraging already diehard fans to love the film even more. It includes nearly everything viewers might want to see, know or learn about the film and its well-imagined world... and then some. This is heady, fun and dazzling stuff - a must for any serious Avatar fan!

• Locked thread