Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Has anyone tried TeamWhiskey's Obsidian ROM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I had an N1 with FRF93, rooted with superuser permissions, busybox, and MCR scripts included in the custom ROM. When the FRG83 update came out, I couldn't install the update. I ended up just getting the stock FRG83 ROM and re-flashing the phone back to stock. I didn't know how to update without losing user data...

So, how do you update a rooted phone without losing user data? Do you just completely wipe the phone, install the updated ROM, re-install Titanium Backup and restore?

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 8, 2010

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I had an N1 with FRF93, rooted with superuser permissions, busybox, and MCR scripts included in the custom ROM. When the FRG83 update came out, I couldn't install the update. I ended up just getting the stock FRG83 ROM and re-flashing the phone back to stock. I didn't know how to update without losing user data...

So, how do you update a rooted phone without losing user data? Do you just completely wipe the phone, install the updated ROM, re-install Titanium Backup and restore?

If you're going from stock rom with root to stock rom with root you don't need to wipe data at all, you can just flash the update. More specifically, how couldn't you install the update? You were probably trying to install the official signed update and not a deodexed rooted version.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Stunt Rock posted:

Thought about it, but I'm going to give Macnut R10 a whirl first. eugene has been working on 2.2 kernels a lot longer, so I think he might have the more stable ROM out the gate.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're going from stock rom with root to stock rom with root you don't need to wipe data at all, you can just flash the update. More specifically, how couldn't you install the update? You were probably trying to install the official signed update and not a deodexed rooted version.

Yea, I was trying to do the OTA update which I figured wouldn't work (but tried anyway). If I'm trying to update to a newer ROM that isn't exactly identical (like, the newer one is deodexed), will that work? Thanks for the info.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm running it on my phone. It's not holy poo poo performance like JI6 with z4mod but it is certainly snappy.

There are bugs present as this was just given the kiss of TeamWhiskey and released without thorough testing. The fixes that have been found are posted here.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, Clockwork Recovery doesn't work properly with it yet but hopefully an update will be out soon to take care of that.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Just dropping by to say that I rooted my Inc and installed CyanogenMod 6.1 RC2 / LauncherPro. I always raised an eyebrow at people saying it was so much faster than Sense because I thought it ran plenty quick already but :drat:

pooface
May 20, 2004
HMMM!!!
I just got the Samsung Captivate yesterday and did one update on the phone- Firmware is 2.1-update1.

If i use the oneclickroot file to root could the froyo update whenever its release cause problems? Just wondering if I have to unroot before the update.

pooface fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 8, 2010

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just rooted my first smartphone. Yay!

It took like three tries (the batch file got to a different point each time, even though I didn't change anything), but it worked!

Speaking of, the Epic has a different root method than other Galaxy S phones. Could we get that in the op?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770388

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Atomic Mitten posted:

Having a bit of trouble working out the upgrade path for my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (international version).

Current version: Android 2.1
Product Code: i9000HKDORA (Orange)

PDA: I9000XXJM1
PHONE: I9000XXJM1
CSC: I9000OXAJM1

Ideally I just want to use the reg hack with Kies but I suspect there's more to it than that due to my product code. Also ODIN scares me as I'm not too sure if I need to goto an image first before I goto 2.2 JPO.

You could always just install Rom Manager and flash Doc Froyo which is basically an optimized version of JPO (or JPA if you're feeling Swedish). I'm using it on my Canadian i9000m and really enjoy that you get to choose how much of samsung's extra crap you get to go with.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 8, 2010

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Once the phone has been rooted can you use normal OTA updates, or would you need to unroot and then update?

I ask because I want to use the new Gingerbread release on my N1 when it comes out.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Once the phone has been rooted can you use normal OTA updates, or would you need to unroot and then update?

I ask because I want to use the new Gingerbread release on my N1 when it comes out.

Once you root you give up OTA updates in my opinion. You probably need an unmodified recovery in order to flash the OTA. I'm sure someone will leak a Gingerbread ROM on the N1 before its release date anyway.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 8, 2010

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm hoping this is just unrelated, but as mentioned, I rooted my phone this morning, and now it's having trouble syncing with my google mail/contacts/calendar.

Never had a problem until now. Gmail kept saying connection failed.

I have no idea why rooting the phone would cause this.

Ideas?

edit: google voice search is having problems, too.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 8, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Is there a way to just completely remove all installed drivers for a certain phone? I need to install a particular driver to root a Samsung I7500, but the first guide I followed had a different driver installed. Now I'm having trouble with drivers and I just want to start fresh. I though of going through device manager, but there are like 5 or so different items that have to do with this phone. Will deleting all the drivers that I think have to do with this phone start me at the beginning again, as if I've never plugged this phone into my computer before? Or do you suggest something else?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

God Exists. posted:

Once you root you give up OTA updates in my opinion. You probably need an unmodified recovery in order to flash the OTA. I'm sure someone will leak a Gingerbread ROM on the N1 before its release date anyway.

This is what happened with Froyo, at least. There was actually some confusion last May when Froyo came out because of all the rapid and different versions of Froyo, but upgrading or downgrading from one ROM to another was a little complicated then compared to now, with tools like Rom Manager making it much easier.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Mein Eyes! posted:

This is what happened with Froyo, at least. There was actually some confusion last May when Froyo came out because of all the rapid and different versions of Froyo, but upgrading or downgrading from one ROM to another was a little complicated then compared to now, with tools like Rom Manager making it much easier.

Hmm, I'll have to look into Rom Manager then

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Bobulus posted:

I'm hoping this is just unrelated, but as mentioned, I rooted my phone this morning, and now it's having trouble syncing with my google mail/contacts/calendar.

It's not you or root, it's Google problem. http://www.google.com/support/forum...4f5209bf7&hl=en

They're trying to fix it.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 8, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

God Exists. posted:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Official OTA updates use a different signing method for the update.zips than custom update.zips. As such, you cannot use a direct OTA update .zip on your phone with Clockwork Mod recovery. It will give a signature error and fail.

Since you're on an N1, you cannot lose root permanently. As such, you can always return to stock recovery and install the OTA if you're REALLY impatient. But there's always a custom update.zip out within a few hours. Usually, there's even a rooted version within a day or so.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

God Exists. posted:

It's not you or root, it's Google problem. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=7c73ea54f5209bf7&hl=en

They're trying to fix it.

According to that link, they fixed that problem on the 5th, and I didn't even start having the problem until the morning of the 8th.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Did you clear your data/cache in Gmail? Backup your ROM and do a factory wipe then and see if your syncing comes back then. Or install a new ROM and see if it works. Or unroot it entirely. Root should not mess with your notifications. Like I said it's probably a Google problem, or a simple user error on your part.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 8, 2010

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?
Rooted Evo Problem Incoming.

So for most of you Evo users, you remember where it was found out that if you have a high TWS, then your battery life is going to be complete poo poo. Well the fix that was given was typing #*#*4636*#*# and changing over the CDMA to GSM setting once the windows pops up. We also ran into a PRL update problem which gave us another code to use to fix that issue. My problem is that now when I try to use the #*#*4636*#*# code, nothing happens. It worked when I was on CM6 but now that I am on Fresh 3.3, none of these codes work out for me. Anyone got an answer for what I am doing wrong?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Mask posted:

Rooted Evo Problem Incoming.

So for most of you Evo users, you remember where it was found out that if you have a high TWS, then your battery life is going to be complete poo poo. Well the fix that was given was typing #*#*4636*#*# and changing over the CDMA to GSM setting once the windows pops up. We also ran into a PRL update problem which gave us another code to use to fix that issue. My problem is that now when I try to use the #*#*4636*#*# code, nothing happens. It worked when I was on CM6 but now that I am on Fresh 3.3, none of these codes work out for me. Anyone got an answer for what I am doing wrong?

Those codes stopped working in the Froyo OTA build (which is what Fresh uses) for some reason. Looks like you can use this app to do the same thing though, http://www.appbrain.com/app/network/de.mangelow.network .

Mask
Jun 8, 2003

traslin posted:

Those codes stopped working in the Froyo OTA build (which is what Fresh uses) for some reason. Looks like you can use this app to do the same thing though, http://www.appbrain.com/app/network/de.mangelow.network .

Seems I missed that, appreciate it buddy. Hopefully my TWS drops from 51%.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
EVO 4G Trip Report:

So I've been sporting stock Froyo root since day one of owning my Evo 4G.

I got a Bluetooth Wii Classic Controller for use with console emulators (which works great by the way, and is nice not to have be tethered to a Wii Mote).

The only way to get Bluetooth HID support on an Evo 4G is to run a non sense ROM, the main disadvantages of non Sense ROMS are loss of 4G WiMax and HDMI out, since I'm not in a 4G area yet (scheduled for end of year), and I don't really use HDMI out, I'm willing to live with it for now.

I decided to sport Cyanogen nightly (as of last night) with toast v2.6.35 test kernel.

Honestly I had Sense configured pretty well and I think I actually prefer Sense over Launcher Pro. People say how stock Android is so much faster than Sense, but I didn't really notice that, what I did notice is that it was more consistently faster. Meaning far fewer small hiccups, and speed seemed to be maintained even when running a bunch of apps (though that could be placebo of having a fresh install). What I did notice is that battery life shot way up. I tried tweaking Sense as much as I could for battery but I would still usually end up dead or down 30-40 percent over night if not on the charger. With Cyanogen I lost at most 5 percent over night, a big improvement.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

yamdankee posted:

Is there a way to just completely remove all installed drivers for a certain phone? I need to install a particular driver to root a Samsung I7500, but the first guide I followed had a different driver installed. Now I'm having trouble with drivers and I just want to start fresh. I though of going through device manager, but there are like 5 or so different items that have to do with this phone. Will deleting all the drivers that I think have to do with this phone start me at the beginning again, as if I've never plugged this phone into my computer before? Or do you suggest something else?

I used USBDeview to remove drivers for my Droid X and it worked wonders.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Oh man, thank you so much!

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

scarymonkey posted:

What I did notice is that battery life shot way up. I tried tweaking Sense as much as I could for battery but I would still usually end up dead or down 30-40 percent over night if not on the charger.

Set up a SetCPU profile to turn your CPU way down with the screen off and install JuiceDefender, it's done wonders for me.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

I'm using an Incredible running CyanogenMod 6.1 RC2, and for some reason it doesn't ring when I get calls. It vibrates, but it doesn't actually make any noise. I've spent a ton of time in my Sound and Call Settings but everything looks fine.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

emoltra posted:

I'm using an Incredible running CyanogenMod 6.1 RC2, and for some reason it doesn't ring when I get calls. It vibrates, but it doesn't actually make any noise. I've spent a ton of time in my Sound and Call Settings but everything looks fine.

How are you setting ring tones?

I find that setting off the SD directly can cause issues like this if the SD card is ever unavailable - I edit the files, then use Ringdroid to create either a Ringtone or Notification directly and set THAT (With Rings Extended, if you like).

It's done wonders for me.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

200th Poster posted:

You could always just install Rom Manager and flash Doc Froyo which is basically an optimized version of JPO (or JPA if you're feeling Swedish). I'm using it on my Canadian i9000m and really enjoy that you get to choose how much of samsung's extra crap you get to go with.

Alright I have a new wonderfully wierd issue now. Where the hell did USB settings go in 2.2? I installed JPO officially to start with and I can't for the life of me find where the settings went. I suspect something is a bit wrong on my phone now.

Fuckers had moved it to Wireless and Networks. Ta samsung.

Atomic Mitten fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 9, 2010

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I have a rooted Galaxy I7500 running 1.5.

I need to install Galaxo from here.

The only Galaxo ROMs I see there are for 1.6

Can I:

a: Still install a ROM built for 1.6 on 1.5?
b: Update to 1.6 on this I7500? If so, how?

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
More Evo fun incoming.

So I don't have the latest Radios, PRI, NV, WiMax and found a combo download on XDA. Problem is the download requires an HBOOT configured to S-OFF. I am currently on HBOOT 0.79.0000 S-ON and can't figure out how to switch this over. Going to Myn's ROM but I ant to go in fully updated to really get a feel for it. Anyone got any ideas for me?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

What is the current status for the Google Apps (gapps) package? ROM Manager is unable to pull down Gapps for anything it seems like. TeamDouche's mirror doesn't even seem to have it listed as an option anymore as well.

What is the best resource for grabbing the latest Google Apps? I am hopeful that the newest download will finally have updated YouTube & Car applications.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I don't understand why Wireless Tether from code.google.com always throws up the No Netfilter! error, but when I install Barnicle Wifi Tether on the same kernel it works fine.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JerseyMonkey posted:

What is the current status for the Google Apps (gapps) package? ROM Manager is unable to pull down Gapps for anything it seems like. TeamDouche's mirror doesn't even seem to have it listed as an option anymore as well.

What is the best resource for grabbing the latest Google Apps? I am hopeful that the newest download will finally have updated YouTube & Car applications.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version has this. And yeah, 20101025 has new YouTube and Car Apps.

yamdankee posted:

I don't understand why Wireless Tether from code.google.com always throws up the No Netfilter! error, but when I install Barnicle Wifi Tether on the same kernel it works fine.

Cause they use different methods of tethering.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Casao posted:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version has this. And yeah, 20101025 has new YouTube and Car Apps.

Thanks for quick reply Casao. Grabbed them off that site. Handy article on the Wiki, they should have that on their Changelog on GitHub.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones
G2 was finally permarooted, easy instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

hopefully the MT4g won't be too far off, can't wait to get rid of all the Sense junk

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA posted:

G2 was finally permarooted, easy instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833965

hopefully the MT4g won't be too far off, can't wait to get rid of all the Sense junk

MT4G should probably follow a similar root method since I'm hearing of people using the G2 temp-root on it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah the MT4G has been rooted too.

That said, I'd encourage you to wait for Visionary to be updated. It'll be able to perma the G2 tomorrow, and possibly the MT4G then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Reading this thread has convinced me to root my Moto Droid. I remember reading a while ago that Bugless Beast was the de facto ROM for a Droid but it seems like CyanogenMod is the new hot thing. Could someone with experience with both of them give a quick pro/con on the two?

Also, sorry for the newbie questions, but is installing a custom ROM really as easy as rooting it, backing up the apps, and installing the ROM you want? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like that's a bit too easy.