Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Robotonomy is basically Superjail with Robots instead of people and a high school instead of jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr Christmas posted:

Robotonomy is basically Superjail with Robots instead of people and a high school instead of jail.

Nothing wrong with that, Superjail was awesome.

Also, this has Patton Oswalt, so it has that going for it too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Which makes sense considering the background of the show's creator.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So just as an aside, Dexter's Lab is on.
It looks like it's going to be on at 11:30 on weekdays, which is pretty great!

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I thought last nights episode of Robotomy was pretty awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

I thought last nights episode of Robotomy was pretty awesome.

Its a pretty good show, it just had the misfortune of premiering after Adventure Time and Regular Show which are pretty GREAT shows.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Behold the CN parental complaining.

edit:It's almost laughable.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 13, 2010

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

thelaughingman posted:

edit:It's almost laughable.

Ha! The guys at the office are going to love that. Besides, almost all of those shows are lead-ins to adult swim. They aren't for the soft and young.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

thelaughingman posted:

Uh...

quote:

Made by two concerned teens, who feel that though cartoons have been going downhill for a while, its getting ridiculous. Its making kids think this stuff is okay, when its not.

One of those two concerned teens has a picture of herself in a Boba Fett costume on her Facebook page and this rather enlightening profile description: "STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS...Star Wars! Imma Sith =D" Make of that what you will.

Thankfully, most of the comments on the YouTube channel and the Facebook page are actually well-written rebuttals. For example:

quote:

How you raise your own kids is your business. But don't resort to promoting censorship. The shows you are attacking are clearly targeting teen and preteen demographics, and carry a TV-PG rating which is prominently displayed throughout each episode.

The other thing I noticed about the video you guys posted, analyzing the shows, was the fact that you failed to take into account the humor of them. For example, the MAD sketch "Zombi" is actually a very keen satire or Disney's policy of taking their classic films and making endless DVD sequels, making them quite literally undead.
Likewise, the sketch "ponziopoly" in which the mother is dragged off to jail, is a cunning spoof of Monopoly, a game which encourages people to bankrupt each other, send each other to jail and engage in ruthless and illegal corporate tactics. By making a ponzi scheme version of Monopoly, the show satirizes how families happily play a game supporting illegal activities, and when the mother is dragged off to jail, it shows how doing something like that in a game is actually a bad thing.

As for Regular Show, I personally love it, and it is pure entertainment. It is silly for the sake of being silly, and I believe there is value to that. You have to recognize that not all shows are out to "teach our kids something", and that the goal of most cartoonists is to provide laughs and good times to their audience. If you sit down to watch an episode of your favorite sitcom, you're not thinking "what can I learn from this" and it's the same thing with animation. Even if you don't find Regular Show funny, and I admit its brand of humor is fairly obtuse, you should at least respect the fact that there are people who do find it funny, and you should not attempt to take it away from them.

Finally, I would like to remind you that it is your job as parents to decide what is appropriate for your kids, and what you allow them to watch, and not the job of television networks. If you don't think these shows are appropriate, you don't have to show them to your kids, but Cartoon Network wasn't made as a babysitting tool, it was created for animation lovers of all ages. As one of those animation lovers, I respectfully ask that you consider taking this group down, and instead focusing on raising your kids in the manner that you best see fit.

If you really want to see idiot concerned parents, look at the Parents' Television Council's "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" report. A few years old, but still one of the most poorly-researched, taking-things-out-of-context report on childrens' television I've ever read.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mobo85 posted:

One of those two concerned teens has a picture of herself in a Boba Fett costume on her Facebook page and this rather enlightening profile description: "STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS...Star Wars! Imma Sith =D" Make of that what you will.

On the bright side, her parents won't have to worry about her engaging in any hanky-panky until about her mid-30s.

I knew a few "concerned kids" growing up, and I honestly never understood them. Are they just trying to suck up to adults? Are they hope that they'll be promoted to full adult-hood if the sucking up is successful? Are they afraid of being subjected to X thing themselves? I can understand nosy adults wanting to "protect the children," but why would a child feel obligated to protect their peers from, well, anything at all?

quote:

If you really want to see idiot concerned parents, look at the Parents' Television Council's "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" report. A few years old, but still one of the most poorly-researched, taking-things-out-of-context report on childrens' television I've ever read.

Reading it now, and :psyduck:.

What I find really fascinating is how their entire preamble is all about the effects of media violence on innocent children, and then they proceed to also tally up examples of references to bodily functions and occultism, like it's all part of the same ball of wax.

So, the award for the most references to excretion goes to...Foster's Home? Since when? I can maybe recall a few "desperately needing to pee" gags, but that pales in comparison to, say, Rugrats, Billy and Mandy, or anything by John K.

quote:

Nickelodeon’s Danny Phantom contained the
most frequent use of offensive language with an
average of 1.7 incidents per episode.

Wait, what?

quote:

ABC’s Lizzie McGuire featured the most frequent
instances of problematic attitudes and behaviors,
with 7 incidents per episode.

Are they eating each other's livers with a nice chianti or something?

I love how Ed, Edd, n Eddy appears to be flying under the radar here, and how out of everything they could've said about Billy and Mandy, they choose an ash joke and a gas joke.

quote:

The influence of Japanese anime on children’s
cartoons is quite evident.

Read: HOLY poo poo GODLESS SLANTS ARE AFTER OUR CHILDREN.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
The other stuff I love in that report:

The Parents Television Council posted:

Rugrats opened the floodgates for the infusion of bathroom humor in children’s programming as well as themes of disobedience and disrespect.

Programs containing no offensive or excretory content include...Rugrats...Programs containing no verbally abusive language include...Rugrats...The Social Institutions category included the following topics: Parental authority/responsibility, Portrayal of parents in negative light...Programs with no such content [included]...Rugrats...

:psyduck: Yes...um...the show that has none of those things opened the floodgates for those things...right? Also, since when did Rugrats not have any of those things? Are they watching the Bizarro World version of the series, in which the babies do absolutely nothing and Angelica helps them to cooperate?

First, the animation techniques employed today are far superior and more realistic than those used in the heyday of Tom and Jerry.

Yes, cheap Korean television animation is far superior and realistic than lavishly-drawn Hollywood feature animation. It's simple economics- the cheaper something is, the better it is!

Bugs Bunny didn’t call Elmer Fudd an idiot.

Mr. Bunny, I think you should field this one..."Whatta maroon!" (comedic mispronunciation of "moron"- not the same word, but same meaning)

ETA: It's time to play "Spot the Irony!" At least one person related to one of these names on the PTC's celebrity advisory board has been criticized by the PTC in recent years...it should stick out like an achy-breaky sore thumb.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 14, 2010

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Well, funny part is that his daughter is on the show that most offends me

Interesting lack of disney shows in the complaint, too

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aw, Steve Allen should have been above all that. Now I'm sad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Getting away from censorship for a minute, it seems that CN is doing a one hour special showing of Young Justice on the 26th. The look for the various heroes looks more like the recent DTV movie versions than the old DCAU ones. The commercial for it was also downplaying any characters other than Robin, Impulse and Aqualad.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

Getting away from censorship for a minute, it seems that CN is doing a one hour special showing of Young Justice on the 26th. The look for the various heroes looks more like the recent DTV movie versions than the old DCAU ones. The commercial for it was also downplaying any characters other than Robin, Impulse and Aqualad.

BUT there are a couple recognizable shots of White Martians in the commercial, meaning --- M'gann --- can't be far behind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just remembered that they also showed Superboy in the commercial as well.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I just found out earlier today that every episode of Beakman's World is now on Netflix Watch Instantly. This was some of the greatest news I ever heard because a) this was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and b) they answered a question of mine once, and even after 15 years, syndicated re-runs, and the power of the internet, I never managed to see it until now. Beakman even made a stupid rhyme out of my last name!

I can't be the only one here who liked Beakman better than Bill Nye, can I?

WHAT?! One of my all time favorite Childhood shows is on Netflix Streaming?! Holy crap that is awesome. I still remember watching this as a kid and learning so much more than I did in school.

I also remember being on vacation one year as a kid and the house that we rented was Sunday to Sunday and my uncle's friends from Colorado were with us. I remember putting this the Saturday before we left and having a then 30-something dentist ask me what I was watching and I told him Beakman's World. I also remember him sitting down and watching both episodes with me that morning. I would later find out that he watched it every weekend after that when it was still airing and no, I always thought that Bill Nye was too serious and boring as hell at times. Also, the fact that Bill Nye tried to make a serious show for kids. Beakman was at least funny and informative.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Young Justice actually ties directly into the Crisis on Two Earths DTV which itself was an unused script for a movie that took place between Justice League and Unlimited. So in a weird way, it's almost a bizarre half-spinoff of the DCAU.

I'm pretty excited because Greg Weisman is running it and Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man are probably two of my favorite cartoons and he is behind those.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know why, but this shout-out amused me:

Jon Stewart posted:

Conflictinator [a term used to refer to the cable news networks during the Rally to restore sanity], by the way, is a reference to Phineas and Ferb, the cartoon. The evil Doofenshmirtz, Dr. Doofenshmirtz, my kids watch him. Everything he makes is an -inator. [as Dr. Doofenshmirtz] My conflictinator!

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Can anyone recommend X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and the X-Men?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I would personally recommend Wolverine & the XMen, but it only has one season which is extremely disappointing. The only crap points are when the episodes are JUST ABOUT LOGAN.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'm used to CRAP ABOUT LOGAN as he's the centerpiece of every loving piece of fiction he appears in ever. I think Joe Quesada once said, "Logan is on the cover of every book except the Bible".
My personal favorite is Gambit, which if I can remember right I started to follow because I'm a coonass from New Orleans as well.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Digital Scumbag posted:

Can anyone recommend X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and the X-Men?

Evolution is an okay series if a bit samey but is "saved" in a lot of people's opinions by its nice character designs and the fact that it never gets groan inducing. Nice final season too.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
^^^ It also gave us X-23, who is not anywhere near as cringe-inducing as she should be.

Digital Scumbag posted:

My personal favorite is Gambit, which if I can remember right I started to follow because I'm a coonass from New Orleans as well.

I think everyone from the Gulf Coast is legally required to love Gambit :c00l::hf::haw:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cliff Racer posted:

Evolution is an okay series if a bit samey but is "saved" in a lot of people's opinions by its nice character designs and the fact that it never gets groan inducing. Nice final season too.

Gambit is just about the only disappointing design in all of Evolution, I think.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

404GoonNotFound posted:

^^^ It also gave us X-23, who is not anywhere near as cringe-inducing as she should be.

Seriously. From the outside she looks like some edgy fan fiction addition, but once you actually watch, she's pretty awesome.

quote:

I think everyone from the Gulf Coast is legally required to love Gambit

:c00l::hf::haw::hf::v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I knew a few "concerned kids" growing up, and I honestly never understood them. Are they just trying to suck up to adults? Are they hope that they'll be promoted to full adult-hood if the sucking up is successful? Are they afraid of being subjected to X thing themselves? I can understand nosy adults wanting to "protect the children," but why would a child feel obligated to protect their peers from, well, anything at all?
I don't know the answer to this, but it reminds me of that Tiny Toons episode where this uptight woman goes around censoring their show, and Plucky Duck joins her cause.

That was also an awesome show.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

A five minute preview of Firebreather is on iTunes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I really don't know what to make of the MAD show. On the one hand I love subversive cartoon shows, but I think a half hour format is completely wrong for a show comprised of 12 second jump cuts, and even within the context of the longer bits, everything jumps around so much that the whole show seems like it's on crank. I wish they'd tone it down a notch in that department; I like the idea of the show but kids are hyper enough as it is without having liquid ADHD shot into their eyeholes by the TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, the first two episodes of Young Justice just aired and they were pretty cool.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

So, the first two episodes of Young Justice just aired and they were pretty cool.

Transformers Prime, GI Joe Renegade, Young Justice, hourlong Avengers, and a replay of that Firebreather movie all on the same day. Pretty packed day, really.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 27, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A kind of weird bit of Young Justice was that Speedy had this whole introductory bit but apparently he's not a regular character on the show.

Also, the female characters kind of get the short end of the stick as Miss Martian is only in the last two minutes of the show and Artemis doesn't show up at all.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

I really don't know what to make of the MAD show. On the one hand I love subversive cartoon shows, but I think a half hour format is completely wrong for a show comprised of 12 second jump cuts, and even within the context of the longer bits, everything jumps around so much that the whole show seems like it's on crank.

MAD is only 15 minutes long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So for that Firebreather movie did they ever even kind of explain the mechanics of how a giant monster and a regular sized human woman had a kid?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

So for that Firebreather movie did they ever even kind of explain the mechanics of how a giant monster and a regular sized human woman had a kid?

Handwaved by the kid covering his ears and running away as quickly as possible when given the opportunity to learn.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No, thank goodness. Leaving a whole lot of questions that don't need to be answered.

I enjoyed Young Justice but every portion with the League felt weird. I know the opening was supposed to paint them as being sort-of-dicks, but man, near the end they're all staring at the kids like they were the ones at fault. I did enjoy Superman's awkward "We'll find you someplace to stay" around Superboy though.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 27, 2010

Persidian
Mar 2, 2009

by T. Finn

404GoonNotFound posted:

Handwaved by the kid covering his ears and running away as quickly as possible when given the opportunity to learn.

The kid and his pa both morph into different shapes when needed, so I'm guessing he's got a humanlike form. I was expecting father and son to have a tender face to face at the end like Percy Jackson or Clash of the Titans, but everything had to be left wide open and unanswered for future installments.

Man, I've been watching some terrible movies lately.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So was Firebreather any good? I caught a couple seconds here and there, and the dragon/dad walking animation was embarrassingly bad.

I also saw a preview where the kid was running from some bullies, and he was leaving them in the dust with his superhuman agility while somehow they were simultaneously almost catching up with him.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 27, 2010

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So has anyone actually heard anything about Transformers Prime? This is the first I've heard of the series and its premiering on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MadScientistWorking posted:

So has anyone actually heard anything about Transformers Prime? This is the first I've heard of the series and its premiering on Monday.

The first two episodes aired yesterday, and there's some discussion of it in the TF thread in BSS.