Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barakus
Aug 4, 2005
Does anybody else have a dull thunk noise from the rear -- or rear of the car at least -- in an E46 when shifting into gear?

It's not really a worrisome noise and I'm not worried about it, but I'm mystified as to what could be causing the noise. It's a 5 speed 325i, and probably 75% of the time when initially shifting into first after starting the car, I will get a little thunk. What's weird is that this happens even if I keep the clutch engaged (clutch pedal down).

I was just playing with it a little bit, and it makes the noise as I'm approaching the shifter gate the first time. If I keep the clutch depressed and keep trying first gear, it will only make the noise the first time. If I shift into first then reverse with the clutch engaged, then disengage the clutch in neutral, I can clutch and shift into first and get the noise again.

I'm no master mechanic, but as far as I know absolutely nothing should be happening at the rear of the car under these conditions. I Googled this and apparently thunks from the rear are considered normal, but I'm curious about what's causing it.

EDIT: It's a 2005 with 76K miles, and I'm pretty sure I don't have the subframe problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Everyone has that noise. It's a BMW noise.

barakus
Aug 4, 2005
Should I call it the "Ultimate Driving Noise" when people ask?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

barakus posted:

Does anybody else have a dull thunk noise from the rear -- or rear of the car at least -- in an E46 when shifting into gear?

It's not really a worrisome noise and I'm not worried about it, but I'm mystified as to what could be causing the noise. It's a 5 speed 325i, and probably 75% of the time when initially shifting into first after starting the car, I will get a little thunk. What's weird is that this happens even if I keep the clutch engaged (clutch pedal down).

I was just playing with it a little bit, and it makes the noise as I'm approaching the shifter gate the first time. If I keep the clutch depressed and keep trying first gear, it will only make the noise the first time. If I shift into first then reverse with the clutch engaged, then disengage the clutch in neutral, I can clutch and shift into first and get the noise again.

I'm no master mechanic, but as far as I know absolutely nothing should be happening at the rear of the car under these conditions. I Googled this and apparently thunks from the rear are considered normal, but I'm curious about what's causing it.

EDIT: It's a 2005 with 76K miles, and I'm pretty sure I don't have the subframe problem.

This is a good question and I have a hypothesis. I suspect it's the drivetrain aligning when you put it into gear. When the shift fork selects a gear and the gears aren't aligned, the synchros don't do anything to help -- something has to give. There is a slight shift in the driveline as it aligns to the position of the gear, which causes a clunk.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Thank god for this thread. As a new BMW owner I also thought something was up.

As for real problems my thermostat is officially stuck wide open. It was -3C driving home the other day and my coolant temp hovered about a centimeter above the cold zone as soon as I got on the highway. The heated seats still work thankfully.

barakus
Aug 4, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

This is a good question and I have a hypothesis. I suspect it's the drivetrain aligning when you put it into gear. When the shift fork selects a gear and the gears aren't aligned, the synchros don't do anything to help -- something has to give. There is a slight shift in the driveline as it aligns to the position of the gear, which causes a clunk.

Keeping in mind that as far as I'm concerned, everything aft of the flywheel is a Rube Goldberg contraption of Teutonic wizardry, I find it odd that this noise is not present if the engine isn't running. I'd hate to have to chalk this up to simple black magic.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

8ender posted:

Thank god for this thread. As a new BMW owner I also thought something was up.

As for real problems my thermostat is officially stuck wide open. It was -3C driving home the other day and my coolant temp hovered about a centimeter above the cold zone as soon as I got on the highway. The heated seats still work thankfully.

Yep. New thermostat. Do the expansion tank and water pump while you have all that apart. Do it soon. I've heard of people having it stuck open only to all of a sudden have it stuck closed (NOT GOOD).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ozziegt posted:

Yep. New thermostat. Do the expansion tank and water pump while you have all that apart. Do it soon. I've heard of people having it stuck open only to all of a sudden have it stuck closed (NOT GOOD).

The funny thing is that the rest of the cooling system was recently done before I bought the car. New rad, hoses, pump, etc. Either they forgot to do the thermostat or this one failed prematurely, which isn't unreasonable if it was just done.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

Everyone has that noise. It's a BMW noise.

When I go 1st-2nd the transmission sounds like it's going to fall out of the car. BMWs have never really had smooth gearboxes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Its not the gearbox, its the rear end

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Regarding the thunk, I've always had it in my e46 330i. Another data point to support that it has something to do with the rear end of the car is that if the car is stationary and I move the lever from 1 to 2 I get no issues. If I am coasting along at even 2 mph and I move the lever from 1 to 2 I get the thunk. This is just from moving the lever, I'm never engaging 2nd in either of these scenarios. I also have a 6 speed, so it's a different transmission.

doogle
May 24, 2003

ynotony posted:

Regarding the thunk, I've always had it in my e46 330i. Another data point to support that it has something to do with the rear end of the car is that if the car is stationary and I move the lever from 1 to 2 I get no issues. If I am coasting along at even 2 mph and I move the lever from 1 to 2 I get the thunk. This is just from moving the lever, I'm never engaging 2nd in either of these scenarios. I also have a 6 speed, so it's a different transmission.

My 135 6MT does this too.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ynotony posted:

doogle posted:

My 2004 M3 does it too, they are notorious for the differential clunk and terrible first and second gear engagement when they're cold.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I absolutely hate BMW's, so addicting. Heres another el cheapo BMW I want. I need to quit looking on craigslist.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2043242541.html

Some one go buy this, that way I am not tempted. My checking account can't take the abuse from working on my e30.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I absolutely hate BMW's, so addicting. Heres another el cheapo BMW I want. I need to quit looking on craigslist.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2043242541.html

Some one go buy this, that way I am not tempted. My checking account can't take the abuse from working on my e30.

It's not the maintenance that gets you, it's the modding and fancy suspension parts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Beach Bum posted:

It's not the maintenance that gets you, it's the modding and fancy suspension parts.

Haha, so true. But still these E30s are just to drat addiction. I just started doing the E30 to E36 steering rack. I still want to hug the guy who desinged this car. To easy to work on.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Haha, so true. But still these E30s are just to drat addiction. I just started doing the E30 to E36 steering rack. I still want to hug the guy who desinged this car. To easy to work on.

We had some fun runs at the last AutoX, and let a few friends drive the car after they agreed to "you break it, you buy it" (within reason, of course)

Every one of them complained about the steering being so long. I think a Z3 rack is in my future.

Gotta get the drat rear camber kit installed first!!! Anyone know of any reasonably priced toe/camber brackets and eccentric bolts for the rear subframe of an E30?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Opinions? Pricing seems good..

http://bgmotorcars.com/inventory/view/641681/2001-BMW-330Ci

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still want to hug the guy who desinged this car. To easy to work on.

I'm convinced this is because they were hand built. Everything seems to be designed in a way that a normal sized human with reasonably normal tools can take apart and reassemble the car quickly.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do a clutch swap on a 325iX with an unthreaded starter and get back to me on that :P

Everything else is pretty easy on e30s, but god drat the AWD system was just thrown in with no thoughts on how to take it out easily.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My wife is pregnant with our first son and one of the things I want to do with him is work on a car project together. I'm seriously considering getting an old E30, are they really that easy to work on? When I was a little kid I loved working on my car with my dad. I'm tempted to buy one now, but I don't want to let it sit for years until the kid is old enough to be out there with me. I figure I'll let my car live in someone elses garage for another couple years before I buy it.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Do a clutch swap on a 325iX with an unthreaded starter and get back to me on that :P

Everything else is pretty easy on e30s, but god drat the AWD system was just thrown in with no thoughts on how to take it out easily.

If it was at all (easily) possible I'd get your iX 5sp tranny and swap out my auto.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

destructo posted:

Opinions? Pricing seems good..

http://bgmotorcars.com/inventory/view/641681/2001-BMW-330Ci

Price is a bit high, and considering having to pay tax on top of that, not so good anymore. I'd stay away, but if you're set on buying from a dealer, haggle the price down and ask for maintenance records. Common parts to fail/wear on E46's include window regulators, cooling system, suspension components, power steering, and on those earlier models the subframe as well.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

doogle posted:

I get something similar in my Z4 / SMG. Between that and the shuddering-1st-gear when cold it's a blast to climb up my steep driveway in the morning.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

I get something similar in my Z4 / SMG. Between that and the shuddering-1st-gear when cold it's a blast to climb up my steep driveway in the morning.

My SMG likes to buck wildly once in a while in first gear. It's awkward. It happens when it's cold and when I switch it over to manual mode (sometimes). I figure if it's not broke don't fix it.

German design or something. Haha.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Does anyone know how to fix a hosed up sunroof? This is a 1994 8 series, but I figure the sunroof mechanism is probably almost the same as the one used in a similar era 3- 5- or 7 series, so hopefully someone might know...

Anyway, I replaced my sunroof gasket today. All was going well, until I tested the sunroof for operation. I don't know if I put something back improperly, or what - but now it doesn't work right. I've done the reset procedure a bunch of times, and it didn't help.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJDjHnXvp8
Sorry for crappy quality, was trying to keep it a manageable size.

I don't think it's broken parts, because it was working fine before, plus the errors seem more electronic related.

Starting from fully closed...
When the switch is pushed forward, the sunroof drops and starts to retract(not supposed to happen at all when switch is pushed forward) :psyduck:, but stops about an inch back. When the switch is pushed backwards, the sunroof retracts fully (as normal) but makes a loud thunk / crunch noise when it gets all the way back. When reclosing the sunroof, it stops at the same point it does when the switch is initially pushed forward. The only way the sunroof will fully close is if the switch is held down for a bit - at this point, it recloses and sits flush with the roof, like it's supposed to. I couldn't get the tilt function to work at all.

Anyone know how to fix this? It's driving me crazy :(

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 7, 2010

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

VibrioCholera posted:

My SMG likes to buck wildly once in a while in first gear. It's awkward. It happens when it's cold and when I switch it over to manual mode (sometimes). I figure if it's not broke don't fix it.

German design or something. Haha.

If I have my backstory right the SMGI was designed by Maseratti. I like to think of the bucking as a freedom loving Italian trying to throw off Teutonic repression.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ball joints, tie rods, bushings, and sway bar links done. Talk about night and day. I do need to get the tires balanced, but that is cheap. Now I can enjoy the ultimate driving machine experince.

Also, does any one elses idle seem a little on the lopy side. Not like bad running lopy, just like performance lopy. Maybe I am just not used to a car like this. Fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs (NGK's), wires, and related parts are brand new. I did the vacum leak test, and comes back great. Or am I just crazy.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So I went to see this car today:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800707

and I'm absolutely in love with it. THe price seems fair considering the current pricing of ZHPs (and lack of any ZHPs in the area)

Handling seemed fine, paperwork seemed fine. Based on what you see from the pictures/price/etc, anyway want to convince me not to purchase?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Broken sunroof poo poo

Well I fixed this today...I think I hosed up when I put the floating liner panel back in place originally. Either it was out of the track, or at least one of the two (easily dislodged) parts that lock the floating panel in place had moved and become misaligned with the other, causing the liner to not lock in place properly. Now everything works like it's supposed to, plus I put JB weld in the cracked areas in the plastic parts, and grease on all of the gears / tracks. Sprayed the roof area with the hose, and no leaks! :woop: Success!

For some reason, instead of using a gasket that is a sealed loop, BMW chose instead to use a single strip that has the two ends butt against each other at the back of the roof. The gasket is infused with steel for it to retain its shape. Which of course means that if any tiny holes develop in the rubber, it rusts and disintegrates from the inside out.

Here's the gasket I replaced. Anywhere I bent it, you could feel the destroyed metal inside break. Rust was peeking out all over it. These are the two ends that sit against each other at the back of the sunroof. Amazingly, this wasn't the part that was leaking.

This is the area that was letting the water in. The metal inside had broken, allowing the gasket to spread apart and collect water inside of it. This area was actually right on one of the rust bubbles I had removed from the roof. After the work was done, the rust bubble was gone - but not the permanent impression in the gasket that it left behind. This hole has expanded since the work was done.

I had some interior work done on this car last year - the headliner and all pillars were recovered, along with the liner on the sunroof and floating panel beneath it. The sunroof lid itself had a few small rust bubbles forming along the edge of the gasket, so I had the shop fix that. In order to fix it, this gasket had to come off. The thing that pisses me off is that the shop saw fit to actually reinstall this garbage gasket, rather than replace it. It's been leaking ever since they did the work, although the leak has gotten much worse in the last couple weeks.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Shadowhand00 posted:

So I went to see this car today:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800707

and I'm absolutely in love with it. THe price seems fair considering the current pricing of ZHPs (and lack of any ZHPs in the area)

Handling seemed fine, paperwork seemed fine. Based on what you see from the pictures/price/etc, anyway want to convince me not to purchase?

Looks great! The price is pretty fair. How were the tires? Keep in mind you WILL need to update the cooling system soon (parts ~$400 +labor) and Inspection II is ~$1200. You may have some negotiating power there, but honestly if that was already complete it would be worth over $16k easily so it's priced pretty well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

ynotony posted:

Looks great! The price is pretty fair. How were the tires? Keep in mind you WILL need to update the cooling system soon (parts ~$400 +labor) and Inspection II is ~$1200. You may have some negotiating power there, but honestly if that was already complete it would be worth over $16k easily so it's priced pretty well.

Yeah, I've replaced a cooling system before, so I'm not too worried about that. I've done most of an Inspection 2 before - the only things I won't know how to change is the fuel filter and I've never worked on a manual transmission.

Heh, thanks for making me feel better about this though :)

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 8, 2010

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys I'm recently in the market for a car. I used to drive an E30 BMW which I absolutely loved and it was my dads, and I convinced him after the E30 died to get an E46 330i. So now that I'm in the market I am hoping to stick to BMW but one hangup, my father. He want's me to get a quality car such as a Toyota or something Japanese that will be cheap to maintain. I of course want to go with a solid BMW. I know they can cost quite a bit more for service than a say a Toyota but I need help convincing him that it can be reasonable for me to own one.

Then again I could be in the wrong here. That's why I'm asking you guys if it's very hard to find a reasonably priced bmw for under $5000 which won't run me a ton in repairs. I'm leaning towards an E36 with under 100k miles. Let me know if this is a good or bad idea.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Popete posted:

That's why I'm asking you guys if it's very hard to find a reasonably priced bmw for under $5000 which won't run me a ton in repairs.

Short answer to this question - Can you work on it yourself? Are you the type to keep on top of preventative maintenance? If so, go for it. If not, stay away.

That said, the E30 and E36 (and maybe the E46) seem to be the models that are the cheapest overall to keep running. Yes, they're older now but they made a metric fuckton of them, they are relatively simple (as BMWs go, anyway), parts are everywhere, and they are common enough where you can find most things at a parts store or junkyard instead of bumming a ride to the dealership to get stuff. Most indy mechanics already know them inside and out, so you don't have to worry about having a tech using your car as a guinea pig, plus you don't have to go to the dealer every time you need work done.

The 5- 7- and 8- series are generally more complex, less common, thirstier, and have more poo poo to break. Not that they are necessarily bad cars (I've owned an 8 for the last 4 years) but you will pay for it if you have to take it to the dealer every time it needs work or maintenance.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Black88GTA posted:

Short answer to this question - Can you work on it yourself? Are you the type to keep on top of preventative maintenance? If so, go for it. If not, stay away.

This is the important thing - a BMW is "reliable" only if you fix things that break and do regular maintenance. A honda is reliable because i could replace the oil with sand and run it until the frame is pure rust.

If you are interested in doing your own work (or even learning from scratch) an e30 is a great place to start. No complicated electronics/timing systems like later models, plenty of room in the engine bay, and an unbelivable amount of resources online.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
I am having an issue with my 2004 330i ZHP. The car is pulling to the left. The shop has said it's probably because the front camber is way out of spec but they can't get it back into spec. They say it's either the struts or the bushings, but everything looks fine visually. Any ideas on what could be going on here? How long do ZHP struts typically last?

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yeah, I've replaced a cooling system before, so I'm not too worried about that. I've done most of an Inspection 2 before - the only things I won't know how to change is the fuel filter and I've never worked on a manual transmission.

Heh, thanks for making me feel better about this though :)

Looks like a good deal, the fuel filter is a simple job, I did it myself this year and realistically its a ~90 minute DIY. Make sure to take him up on his offer of getting all the maintenance records!

ozziegt posted:

I am having an issue with my 2004 330i ZHP. The car is pulling to the left. The shop has said it's probably because the front camber is way out of spec but they can't get it back into spec. They say it's either the struts or the bushings, but everything looks fine visually. Any ideas on what could be going on here? How long do ZHP struts typically last?

Check the Front Control Arm bushings, if there's excess play in them I'd replace them. Put new Meyle HD FCA Mounts & bushings on my E46 this year and it made a world of difference as far as handling is concerned.

Realjones
May 16, 2004
The trunk latch on my e36 stopped working a couple of days ago and the trunk wouldn't open. All the mechanical stuff looked fine I figured it was the actuator and went looking for one online.

After doing some digging on various bmw forums it turns out I am a victim of the crappy wiring harness that goes into the trunk lid. One wire was severed and two were frayed. Repaired and the trunk works again.

It's always nice to see I've checked off an E36 gremlin, but then I always wonder which one is next :a2m:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Black88GTA posted:

I can definitely keep up on maintenance that's not a problem. As for working on it, yes and no. I have done a few things with car's and done some tuning up on my old motorcycle but nothing over complicated. For quite a few things it would require going to the shop. Not that I am not willing to learn, I always wanted to do some work on the old E30 but we sold it before I got the chance. I am definitely on the lookout for an E30 but they seem hard to find in good condition with relatively low miles. And E36 seem to be what I'm going to be looking for as they are cheaper, and easier to find with less miles.

The hard part is just convincing my dad it will not cost a $1000 to get minor crap fixed on it. He always hears horror story's on M3's and how they cost $600 to replace the trim, but then again I'm not really looking at any M3's.

Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tesko.pk posted:

the fuel filter is a simple job, I did it myself this year and realistically its a ~90 minute DIY.

Is the E46 fuel filter really that much different than an E36 fuel filter? I did mine in about 15 minutes, first time. And ten of that was jacking the car up and finding my tools.