Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Golbez posted:

He didn't honk and wave angrily for no reason. And apparently, when the amber lights on top of the bus start flashing, that's also required stopping. And, in the end, if he did take down my plate, it's my word against the word of a school bus driver, and we all know who wins that one. But, y'all have convinced me to calm down and wait and see what happens, if anything. It was probably just the annoyance of the moment at myself.

I thought you didn't have to stop for the flashy yellow lights? That's why they have stop signs. I take the yellow lights to mean "slow down" like the yellow in a stoplight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Trans-Angeles posted:

I'm looking for a script to implement into this web design I'm working on. What I'd like to do is have 4 panels in the middle of the page, and when one is clicked have it expand to take up the whole space of the four panels. (Kind of like a zoom feature)

The panels will each have an image similar to an advertisement, and I'd like to have the ability to expand on each advertisement's info with out loading a new page/frame/etc.

Does any one know what/where I could look for such a thing?
If I'm not being clear I can upload a pic or two to further explain.

Thanks in advance for any leads!
I am a web dev dilettante, but maybe this will help:
“Clean Javascript Info Popup” question on Stack Overflow.
The site in question: link
The answer? link

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
This very well might work. I'd like to have the visual effect of the box resizing, but if I can't find something else along those lines then I'm sure I can rig something up with this script. Thank you!

Any one else have some other suggestions of what I can use or where I can look?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

He didn't honk and wave angrily for no reason. And apparently, when the amber lights on top of the bus start flashing, that's also required stopping. And, in the end, if he did take down my plate, it's my word against the word of a school bus driver, and we all know who wins that one. But, y'all have convinced me to calm down and wait and see what happens, if anything. It was probably just the annoyance of the moment at myself.

Actually no, see page 19: http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dlmanual/dlmanual.pdf

"When you meet an oncoming school bus displaying flashing amber lights, you must slow down to no more than 20 mph and be prepared to stop."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stubblyhead posted:

Actually no, see page 19: http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/dlmanual/dlmanual.pdf

"When you meet an oncoming school bus displaying flashing amber lights, you must slow down to no more than 20 mph and be prepared to stop."

Thanks! However...

quote:

When overtaking a school bus, you may not pass when red or amber warning lights are flashing.
Guilty. :(

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know of a collaborative, web 2.0-type website where users share pictures and videos of cities and other places around the world?

Also, what is Squarespace for? Is it for blogging-centric, one person's thoughts kind of thing or can it be used to make just about anything?

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I got a fortune cookie message that says "All generalities are false". But wouldn't that statement be a generality itself? I'm not sure how to interpret this fortune.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Tostito posted:

I got a fortune cookie message that says "All generalities are false". But wouldn't that statement be a generality itself? I'm not sure how to interpret this fortune.

You nailed it first try: it is intentionally contradictory.

Arguing against reason/logic is another similar idea: You need reason/logic to argue. If you can use reason/logic to disprove the effectiveness of reason/logic, then what have you accomplished?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of a collaborative, web 2.0-type website where users share pictures and videos of cities and other places around the world?

Panoramio does this and is already integrated into Google Maps and Google Earth.

Dudebro posted:

Also, what is Squarespace for? Is it for blogging-centric, one person's thoughts kind of thing or can it be used to make just about anything?

You can make anything. It's a custom hosting + custom blogging platform, so anything that can run on a CMS can run on Squarespace. Just look at their example sites. There's blogs, radio stations, web comics.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tostito posted:

That fortune cookie is loving with you. I hope you taught it a lesson.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Thanks! However...

Guilty. :(

Ah, I thought you were traveling in the opposite direction of the bus. I would suggest going into hiding now before They find you.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That fortune cookie is loving with you. I hope you taught it a lesson.

I have my own theory that fortune cookies are always vague enough to apply to whatever is currently going on with my life. For example, I was saying how I hated the rave scene and all the drugs, then I get this fortune, telling me not to generalize so much. I say gently caress that, I still hate the rave scene.

My housemate, who is a very Italian Long Island kid, got the "Made in the USA" fortune once, which is hilariously true...he is certainly a product of the United States. Borderline Jersey Shore, even, although not nearly as douchey. My theory stands.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Realizing this is a strange request, can anyone tell me what the text reads at the extreme left and sides of this digital alarm clock?

Left I can make out an 'M' to the left of 'PM' -- on the right, looks like 'NA // 2 // 2 // M'

So. Anyone exceedingly familiar with alarm clock display text?

Thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Travakian posted:

Realizing this is a strange request, can anyone tell me what the text reads at the extreme left and sides of this digital alarm clock?

Left I can make out an 'M' to the left of 'PM' -- on the right, looks like 'NA // 2 // 2 // M'

Thanks!

The left-most M is probably the M in "ALARM." Usually the alarm indicator is on that side. Not sure about the others though...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Travakian posted:

Thanks!

Edit: Found it!

It is an RCA RP3720 Clock Radio. From this link, go down to Product Details and there is a link to download a PDF user manual that shows all the icons on the display.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP3720-Clock-Extra-Large-Display/dp/B000277S6A

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 9, 2010

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here's a screenshot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Mac User Opera and Firefox

I want ESPN to not eat my CPU cycles, and slow down my whole computer. What's the 'no thought required' solution. I assume it has something to do with "flash sicking balls" but really I just know that ESPN slows my whole computer down.

Hjalp.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

Edit: Found it!

It is an RCA RP3720 Clock Radio. From this link, go down to Product Details and there is a link to download a PDF user manual that shows all the icons on the display.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP3720-Clock-Extra-Large-Display/dp/B000277S6A

You're a little bit fantastic. Thanks!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kapalama posted:

Mac User Opera and Firefox

I want ESPN to not eat my CPU cycles, and slow down my whole computer. What's the 'no thought required' solution. I assume it has something to do with "flash sicking balls" but really I just know that ESPN slows my whole computer down.

Hjalp.

For Firefox (not sure about Opera): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I have no idea what these bugs could be:

- I found two of them, one in a cardboard box filled with towels, one on my bedroom wall, two days apart. The box was under the bed, I shone a light under the bed and didn't see anything else there.
- They are tiny--a little smaller than a mouse dropping. I thought that's what the first one was when I saw it first.
- One was grayish brown, one looked black.
- Neither were moving when I first saw them, but when I picked them up in a tissue, they started to try and get away, surprisingly quickly.
- They are too small to see if they have legs or a shell, they just looked like tiny black pieces of rice.
- Trying to squash them didn't kill either bug, even though I was pressing on the tissue rather hard.
- Even though they were still moving, squashing them left a brown/black line on the tissue.

My roommate is trying to reassure me that two bugs is not a big deal, but I'm just worried because I have NO idea what they could be. I'm on the first floor in an old house, so bugs do tend to make their way in here from time to time... also there was a leak in the bathroom of the apartment above me a few months ago, but it was fixed.

Ring a bell to anyone? :(

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Could be bedbugs. Look up pictures of them. If they are, you should take immediate action to get rid of them.

e: If you've ever woken up with red marks on your body, this is indicative of bed bugs. If not, don't rule them out.

There's a thread in GBS about them--go read it.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 9, 2010

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I've looked up bed bugs before because that's one of the things I'm most paranoid about... it didn't look like any picture of a bedbug I've ever seen. The bugs I found aren't reddish, don't have the round shape, and they are darker than any pictures of bedbug larvae that I found on google. Also neither my boyfriend or I have been bitten by anything since mosquito season ended, and the second bug I found was just hanging out on the wall in a fully lit room (I understand they don't like light.) Although now I'm feeling paranoid again. :(

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 9, 2010

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Travakian posted:

You're a little bit fantastic. Thanks!

Is this for some ARG or web puzzle or something? I was thinking that if it was your own alarm clock, you could probably tell by looking at it closely and if you were going to post a picture online, you'd have to be intentionally trying to make it difficult by setting the time to 11:11.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the cheapest and best way to get a background check on someone?

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
What's that word when someone tries very hard to sound smart, mostly by using words he found in a thesaurus. The only word I can think of on top of my head is obfuscation but that's not it. there's a better word.

edit: also does anyone have that link to that ask/tell thread where some girl invented her own language? she posted the most ice burn reply i've ever read in my entire life.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Does anyone know what kind of plant this is? It just randomly started growing out of the pot my palm is growing in. Must have piggy-backed its way in or something:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pr0phecy posted:

What's that word when someone tries very hard to sound smart, mostly by using words he found in a thesaurus. The only word I can think of on top of my head is obfuscation but that's not it. there's a better word.

Pretentious and highfalutin come to mind.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

Pr0phecy posted:

edit: also does anyone have that link to that ask/tell thread where some girl invented her own language? she posted the most ice burn reply i've ever read in my entire life.

sesquipedalian?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Pr0phecy posted:

Pseudo-intellectual?

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

What avatar should I buy my brother for Christmas? :saddowns:

Wet Bandits Copycat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 10, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nunchi posted:

If I buy a really obnoxious avatar for my little brother will he be able to know that I bought it for him?

No, avatar buys are completely anonymous. But you might want to edit out that post now.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

haveblue posted:

And you yours!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nunchi posted:

What avatar should I buy my brother for Christmas? :saddowns:

bigredbutton posted:

Hey Workin' Gherkin, you missed the bus! Better run to catch it!

from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3363246

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Is there a camping megathread? Or would it be better to started an ask thread about gear in the Travel section?

(I think this falls under the 'Stupid' question clause.)

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I have been told that being in good shape and being good looking increases your chances of getting a job/holding a job/advancing the ladder immeasurably. From the perspective of someone who is actually out in the real working world, do you find that this is true?

e: I would assume this is doubly true for women.

Tostito fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 10, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tostito posted:

I have been told that being in good shape and being good looking increases your chances of getting a job/holding a job/advancing the ladder immeasurably. From the perspective of someone who is actually out in the real working world, do you find that this is true?

This is absolutely true for a variety of reasons, and not just your external appearance, but your internal outlook and how it feels to be you.

As I went from obese to fit over 2 years, a 5% annual raise turned into a 10% raise, and a 20% raise this year. People who I thought didn't like me became friendly, my boss started conversations to get to know me, and its been indicated I'm overdue for a promotion. You can get noticed for physical stature before you even open your mouth, and instead of being avoided as in the past I am usually acknowledged respectfully.

If you've never been to both extremes of fitness, it's very hard to realize the dramatic extent physical appearance has on every facet of your life.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Tostito posted:

Attractive people are more successful in life, more at 11.

Yes, of course this is true.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tostito posted:

I've worked with successful fat slobs and unsuccessful buff jocks. My anecdotes won't add anything to the conversation, but I can tell you that this is a matter of some debate in the social sciences. For example, this study shows that "obesity exerts a large, statistically significant and negative impact on employment for both males and females" in the UK, but this study from 9 other european countries found "weak evidence that obese workers are more likely to be unemployed or tend to be more segregated in self-employment jobs than their non-obese counterparts... our reported estimates also indicate it is extremely difficult to detect statistically significant associations between obesity and wages.... the associations tend to be different for men and women..." So who knows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looking for a job right now, and there's a lot of local delivery jobs open for the holiday season. None of them require a CDL.

How far back do these guys usually go on a MVR check? I haven't had any tickets in over 5 years, but I had an at-fault accident about 3 1/2 years ago (rearended someone at a light, minor damage to their car, moderate to mine), and the police, of course, found me at fault on the report.

Beyond that, my record is squeaky clean aside from a few speeding tickets in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
(To preface I didn't know if this deserved it's own thread so I decided to put it here. I can make a separate thread if any following discussion warrants it :))

I want to learn to code.

I did a little bit of C++ after I left school but only really the basics and this was 6+ years ago. I always enjoyed it and always wanted to get back into it but now I have a "proper job" and I don't have the time to be able to go back to college and learn more. What I'm looking for is the best way to learn whatever I need to not only get back into coding but also be up to date with what's hot or what's going to get me a new job if I wanted to.

I've looked at some of the "For Dummies" books and a few others and honestly I just can't get anywhere with them. It's not the content that's difficult it's the fact that you are given all this information and it's kind of hoped it will sink in. I can't learn that way.

I would like to find something that I can learn through practical examples, writing code, seeing things happen, been given information and then maybe at the end of a chapter given a problem that you need to create a program to solve. That's the kind of teaching I actually learn things from. If someone can point me in the right direction of some books, videos, websites, anything really that can teach me like this I would really appreciate it.

If it's any help I'd like to build web applications mainly and I'd like to have a solid base in something like C++ or C# to back it all up.

Thanks for any help.