Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

NGL posted:

I don't remember which novel it's from (there's a bit with Lando betting on blob racing), but at one point, Luke starts psychically exploring Leia's brain (for Force sensitivity, I believe) and in the very back, he finds a little psychic protuberance. When he... probes it with the Force, it knocks him on his rear end. Only Force-sensitive have the psychic Force clit.

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search

For stupidest concept in the whole of Star Wars, I have to nominate the life-force-draining cockroaches that melt into your body that eventually turn into humanoids. Also they're made of plague or some poo poo, too.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

For stupidest concept in the whole of Star Wars, I have to nominate the life-force-draining cockroaches that melt into your body that eventually turn into humanoids.
That's magical loving writing next to Starkiller.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

If we're going to fight over which has stupider concepts (EU or movies) we might as well just give up and go get laid.

It is a argument without an answer.

I thought we were fighting over Star Wars because we can't get laid in the first place?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

ZeeToo posted:

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search

For stupidest concept in the whole of Star Wars, I have to nominate the life-force-draining cockroaches that melt into your body that eventually turn into humanoids.

There you have it, folks. Kevin J. Anderson is responsible for Psychic Force Clit. :ughh:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BonHair posted:

I thought we were fighting over Star Wars because we can't get laid in the first place?

Poontang leads to the Dark Side. Look what happened to Anakin!

An enormous spider
Jun 12, 2010

NGL posted:

I don't remember which novel it's from (there's a bit with Lando betting on blob racing), but at one point, Luke starts psychically exploring Leia's brain (for Force sensitivity, I believe) and in the very back, he finds a little psychic protuberance. When he... probes it with the Force, it knocks him on his rear end. Only Force-sensitive have the psychic Force clit.

Well, that still sounds a lot better, story-wise, than being able to tell someone's degree of force power by means of a blood test. If a trained Jedi had to go around checking everyone's mind individually, it would make sense that it'd be a lot harder to find new candidates than if you could just screen everyone at birth.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Suenteus Po posted:

Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???)

I have to defend this one.

Anakin was probably like 6 when he started tinkering, thinking "OH MAN THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME, IT CAN HELP MOM WITH STUFF!" In TPM, he was what, 8? Clearly he wasn't old enough to think it through to the logical "Wait... this won't help with poo poo" conclusion.

Kids get dumb ideas about things. Parents patronize their kids' ideas all the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Faerunner posted:

Anakin was probably like 6 when he started tinkering, thinking "OH MAN THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME, IT CAN HELP MOM WITH STUFF!" In TPM, he was what, 8? Clearly he wasn't old enough to think it through to the logical "Wait... this won't help with poo poo" conclusion.

Kids get dumb ideas about things. Parents patronize their kids' ideas all the time.

I hear what you are saying, but I disagree on the basis of Anakin building C3PO is just retarded. The way Lucas tries to throw every character into the prequels is just awful.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Duckman2008 posted:

I hear what you are saying, but I disagree on the basis of Anakin building C3PO is just retarded. The way Lucas tries to throw every character into the prequels is just awful.

I think the most awful part was the using of C3P0 during the climax battle in the Genosian arena as comedic relief during a scene where tons of Jedi are being slaughtered. It completely took away the emotional impact.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think the most awful part was the using of C3P0 during the climax battle in the Genosian arena as comedic relief during a scene where tons of Jedi are being slaughtered. It completely took away the emotional impact.

Yeah, there's no defense there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Duckman2008 posted:

It's still awful but people keep quoting RLM like it was their idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Faerunner posted:

So your defense of this is that Anakin was a dumb poo poo?

Ok, I can buy that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Duckman2008 posted:

Thank god he used what little scrap of moderation he had and didn't show us whiny early teenage Lando and Han in Revenge of The Sith.

Or just forgot trying to cram as much terrible easily dated ham fisted political subtext into his 'script'.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Han was supposed to be on Kashyyyk living among the wookies. Thank god.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Faerunner posted:

I could buy this argument if not for one very important detail. The eight-year-old kid's science fair project goes on to be a major character in the original films. If this were any new random droid, people wouldn't have this problem with it. Anakin could be established as good with machines*, and the droid could end up more forgotten than Shmi was during the decade after Phantom Menace. (Or given the EU, it too could steal the death star plans)

But that's not what happened. Instead we need a chain of implausible events leading C3P0 from a slave's property to Captain Antilles by way of unfunny comedy to shoehorn him into the prequels.

*EDIT: I just realized that this never really comes into play. I can't remember anywhere in Clones or RotS where Anakin needed to fix or build anything. The scene is even more pointless than I thought.

Astribulus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 8, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

Anakin building Threepio (to help his mom do ???)

Here's my personal canon on that matter: Shmi needs a protocol droid because she's terrible at speaking and understanding alien languages. Many nonhumans in the Star Wars universe can't or won't speak languages other than their own, even if they understand Basic, and Shmi would have had a hard time negotiating encounters with the many nonhumans on Tatooine without the proper language skills. Imagine poor Shmi coming home exhausted from a day at the marketplace, only to be beaten by her master for overpaying for blue milk! Imagine her being screamed at by a client who can't be made to understand that Watto is out for the day!

(Why couldn't Lucas have established this with a sentence or two of dialogue in the film? The world may never know.)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

LLJKSiLk posted:

You're really going to love the deleted scene in the first minute of this. Basically, Anakin and Obi-Wan witness a dear friend murdered before their eyes and immediately perform a Marx Brothers routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjUAatYo6us

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

(Why couldn't Lucas have established this with a sentence or two of dialogue in the film? The world may never know.)

Because the script is an incoherent mess? this is probably the smallest of things that could have been changed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What gets me is that it would have made so much more sense if Anakin had built R2, and Padme had owned C3PO. Because R2 is a useful tool for a high-tech junkyard (he can help solder stuff or whatever), and a protocol droid is a sensible thing for a diplomat to own.

And then in the OT, it makes sense because R2 has already been shown to be quite willing to lie and deceive, whereas 3PO is a gormless twit. So you don't have to wipe either of their memories and a lot of what R2 instigates (going to find Obi-Wan) makes total sense.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

You're really going to love the deleted scene in the first minute of this. Basically, Anakin and Obi-Wan witness a dear friend murdered before their eyes and immediately perform a Marx Brothers routine.

what in the gently caress.

Grievous stabs a woman in the back with a lightsaber and IMMEDIATELY follwing this all you see is a screen full of robots going ROGER ROGER ROGER ROER; ROGER.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Captain von Trapp posted:

That first scene actually makes it look like Anakin and Obi Wan are friends. I mean, they're completely overlooking a murder in favor of shtick, but they're written by an autist and that's as good as it's getting.

It also makes Grievous look sorta threatening.

The scenes with the Rebellion being founded - I hope to God they were cut so as to not conflict with Force Unleashed. Because that would be just delightful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That deleted scene made Grevious look more like a serial rapist with the way he touched Shaak-Ti.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Attack of the Clones is on right now; I haven't watched it sober since I saw it in theatres. Jesus Christ, the Padme on a conveyor belt scene looks like the final round of Nick Arcade, it's amazing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Nevermind

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No, it's really lazy and uninspired.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, it's really lazy and uninspired.

Yeah it looks like it is available without filez.

I was asking about Something Something Dark Side.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Biplane posted:

what in the gently caress.

Grievous stabs a woman in the back with a lightsaber and IMMEDIATELY follwing this all you see is a screen full of robots going ROGER ROGER ROGER ROER; ROGER.

It doesn't justify the horribleness of the rest of the movie...there's a reason it got cut.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

SeanBeansShako posted:

That deleted scene made Grevious look more like a serial rapist with the way he touched Shaak-Ti.

I am certain there are frightening amounts of fanfiction built around this concept.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EDIT ^^^ Weirdest fanfic pairing I ever saw was Chancellor Palpatine + Anakin's mom. However, it had someone buy Shmi out of slavery so it still made more sense than the movies.

LLJKSiLk posted:

God, I know! I was laughing hysterically watching all these Jedi being gunned down, and then all of a sudden there's this awful pair of Odd Couple robots.

Is there a movie that doesn't feature 3PO and R2 slowly walking through a withering hail of blasterfire?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

God, I know! I was laughing hysterically watching all these Jedi being gunned down, and then all of a sudden there's this awful pair of Odd Couple robots.

Is there a movie that doesn't feature 3PO and R2 slowly walking through a withering hail of blasterfire?

Imagine 3PO and R2 doing slapstick while Han is being frozen in carbonite.

It would be pure comedy gold.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

NovemberMike posted:

Don't give George any ideas for the fuckin' 3D releases, man!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

NovemberMike posted:

Slapstick..........or vaudeville?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Mad Hamish posted:

Slapstick..........or vaudeville?

Gungan-face makeup. Sure to offend someone.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
Having Threepio in The Phantom Menace was pretty charming, I thought. It wasn't the Prequels use of existing characters that bugged me, it was the overuse. Give Threepio and Artoo a scene, let them fade into the background. Same for the Fett guys.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

deadguy posted:

Having Threepio in The Phantom Menace was pretty charming, I thought. It wasn't the Prequels use of existing characters that bugged me, it was the overuse. Give Threepio and Artoo a scene, let them fade into the background. Same for the Fett guys.

That's what they did with Chewie and people still complained.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WhyteRyce posted:

That's what they did with Chewie and people still complained.

That's because the prequels have to be 100% consistent with the OT without actually featuring any characters from it. :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't have a problem with Artoo and Threepio appearing in the PT. How they were executed, however, was pretty bad. If Anakin had to build one, it would've made sense to have it be Artoo. And, of course, Threepio would be Padme's protocol droid.

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

Astribulus posted:

*EDIT: I just realized that this never really comes into play. I can't remember anywhere in Clones or RotS where Anakin needed to fix or build anything. The scene is even more pointless than I thought.

In one of the PT novels we're told that Anakin would find broken droids, fix them, and let them wander around the Jedi Temple... only to find out that the droids were planted in trash bins by the Trade Federation to exploit Anakin's stupidity and spy on the Jedi. When the Council finds out, they quickly put an end to his bullshit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Diacritical Mark posted:

In one of the PT novels we're told that Anakin would find broken droids, fix them, and let them wander around the Jedi Temple... only to find out that the droids were planted in trash bins by the Trade Federation to exploit Anakin's stupidity and spy on the Jedi. When the Council finds out, they quickly put an end to his bullshit.

Our hero.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Diacritical Mark posted:

Every time I read this thread Star Wars becomes even more retarded. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
The Geeky Star Wars Questions Megathread 3: Every New Page Makes Star Wars Dumber