Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
You know, they could've had Anakin's fall work under different circumstances. Anakin could've been an allegory for dehumanization and been someone more comfortable with the precision of machines, which in turn could've been lead to his turn to totalitarian control. "More machine than man" would've been a lot more chilling if Anakin did it to HIMSELF and wanted to become more robot-like, without emotions.

Of course, Lucas would probably name a character Domo Arigato and ruin the pathos.

Still, this idea would've resonated with the usual Star Wars fans a lot more than dreaming about your hot wife dying.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

EDIT ^^^ Weirdest fanfic pairing I ever saw was Chancellor Palpatine + Anakin's mom. However, it had someone buy Shmi out of slavery so it still made more sense than the movies.
Darth Maul raping a pizza delivery girl. I didn't even know what fanfiction was, let alone erotic rape poo poo. I don't even know how I stumbled upon it.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Casimir Radon posted:

Darth Maul raping a pizza delivery girl. I didn't even know what fanfiction was, let alone erotic rape poo poo. I don't even know how I stumbled upon it.

If it makes you feel any better, there's probably another fanfic where the pizza girl is revealed to be Force-sensitive and helps steal the Death Star plans.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

that awful man posted:

If it makes you feel any better, there's probably another fanfic where the pizza girl is revealed to be Force-sensitive and helps steal the Death Star plans.

Way to spoil the plot for TFU3. Jerk.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NGL posted:

That's because the prequels have to be 100% consistent with the OT without actually featuring any characters from it. :rolleyes:

I honestly didn't have a problem with Artoo and Threepio appearing in the PT. How they were executed, however, was pretty bad. If Anakin had to build one, it would've made sense to have it be Artoo. And, of course, Threepio would be Padme's protocol droid.

Yeah, if Artoo was built by Anakin then you would be able to explain away all the crazy poo poo that he does which normal droids can't. Instead he's a assembly line made droid who has super powers.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Mister Roboto posted:

You know, here's a completely different way they could've taken the prequels. Anakin could've been an allegory for dehumanization and been someone more comfortable with the precision of machines, which in turn could've been lead to his turn to totalitarian government. "More machine than man" would've been a lot more chilling if Anakin did it to HIMSELF and wanted to become more robot-like.

Of course, Lucas would probably name a character Domo Arigato and ruin the pathos.

Still, this idea would've resonated with the usual Star Wars fans a lot more than dreaming about your hot wife dying.

Great username/post combo.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

NGL posted:

I honestly didn't have a problem with Artoo and Threepio appearing in the PT. How they were executed, however, was pretty bad. If Anakin had to build one, it would've made sense to have it be Artoo. And, of course, Threepio would be Padme's protocol droid.

This... Actually makes a lot of sense. Luke spent most of his time with R2 rather than 3P0, and it would have been a nice symmetry to have R2 be Anakin's machine. 3P0 spent most of his time working in the civilized areas (large ships, cities etc) so it would make sense to stick him with the politicians (there shouldn't have been any characters really acting as politicians though, that stuff is boring as poo poo).

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Gungan-face makeup. Sure to offend someone everyone.

Fixed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Han was supposed to be on Kashyyyk living among the wookies. Thank god.

It would've been kinda awesome seeing Han all Col. Kurtz-y, smoking Kashyysh, loving hairy wookie broads, and leading some bizarro pirate cult.

Z. Beeblebrox IV
Mar 1, 2007

by angerbot
This idea of just switching R2's and 3PO's role in the prequels is really a brilliant solution. It's so simple, it requires almost no extra explanation. All the pieces basically fit together.

The comment about getting rid of the politician characters - I agree with that, but it's so much more complicated. You have to establish an organized Republic, and how it works with planetary monarchies like the ones on Naboo and Alderaan. So it's not as easy as a straight find/replace. And since one of Vader's kids in a princess, you can't just let it live in the background either. That has to be explained eventually.

[speculation starts here]
Once aspect about mishandling of the political element of the prequels which stuck out to me most, was how everyone constantly talked about the "corruption in the senate". "The senate is corrupt!" "How can we get anything done with all these corrupt senators?" "The senate can't be trusted - it's full of nothing but corruption" (paraphrases). And yet, throughout all that, we don't see ONE SINGLE PIECE of direct evidence that the senate is actually corrupt. Not a single credit passed between hands; not a single shady dealing with outlaws and criminal enterprises; and not one senator explicitly pointed out by anybody as being definably corrupt.

This should have been front and goddamn center. This should have been the biggest issue in the early part of the prequels, bigger than some meaningless blockade.

Imagine if the victory of Phantom Menace had been the Jedi uncovering a conspiracy between the Hutt crime lords and a group of senators? It would have been a lot more interesting than trade bullshit, AND it would set up the Jedi as being indirectly responsible for the Separatist movement, since that sort of thing is bound to ruin the galaxy's trust in the Republic. Now, all of the sudden Palpatine has a way to get loyalists suspicious of Jedi. And on the other side of the coin, characters like Obi Wan have actual drama put on their shoulders - is he the reason for the war? Is he the reason why all these people are dying? Will every attempt at a noble deed result in disaster??? (answer: yes)

But ultimately, the only improvement to the prequels that truly would've mattered is getting Lucas out of the director's chair.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

^ That's pretty clever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NovemberMike posted:

This... Actually makes a lot of sense. Luke spent most of his time with R2 rather than 3P0, and it would have been a nice symmetry to have R2 be Anakin's machine. 3P0 spent most of his time working in the civilized areas (large ships, cities etc) so it would make sense to stick him with the politicians (there shouldn't have been any characters really acting as politicians though, that stuff is boring as poo poo).

It's like poetr-aw gently caress it.

But seriously that does fit a lot more.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

Once aspect about mishandling of the political element of the prequels which stuck out to me most, was how everyone constantly talked about the "corruption in the senate". "The senate is corrupt!" "How can we get anything done with all these corrupt senators?" "The senate can't be trusted - it's full of nothing but corruption" (paraphrases). And yet, throughout all that, we don't see ONE SINGLE PIECE of direct evidence that the senate is actually corrupt. Not a single credit passed between hands; not a single shady dealing with outlaws and criminal enterprises; and not one senator explicitly pointed out by anybody as being definably corrupt.

This should have been front and goddamn center. This should have been the biggest issue in the early part of the prequels, bigger than some meaningless blockade.

Imagine if the victory of Phantom Menace had been the Jedi uncovering a conspiracy between the Hutt crime lords and a group of senators? It would have been a lot more interesting than trade bullshit, AND it would set up the Jedi as being indirectly responsible for the Separatist movement, since that sort of thing is bound to ruin the galaxy's trust in the Republic. Now, all of the sudden Palpatine has a way to get loyalists suspicious of Jedi. And on the other side of the coin, characters like Obi Wan have actual drama put on their shoulders - is he the reason for the war? Is he the reason why all these people are dying? Will every attempt at a noble deed result in disaster??? (answer: yes)

But ultimately, the only improvement to the prequels that truly would've mattered is getting Lucas out of the director's chair.

Well, there was almost one scene of that in The Phantom Menace--Valorum getting his ear tugged before "The point is conceded," and Padme went for her no-confidence vote.

But then that vote succeeded and it was all purely above board after that, so... :effort:

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I dunno, Anakin building Artoo still leaves us with the problem of "why not build something that his mom might actually use?" I somehow doubt she has much use for an astromech droid, even if it can fly and hack into the Death Star and project holograms of princesses in distress. At most, you might get a useful beverage delivery system if you put a tray on top of him.

Of course, you actually have the same problem in the original trilogy, but there's enough good stuff around it you don't really notice....

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ZeeToo posted:

Well, there was almost one scene of that in The Phantom Menace--Valorum getting his ear tugged before "The point is conceded," and Padme went for her no-confidence vote.

But then that vote succeeded and it was all purely above board after that, so... :effort:

The Clone Wars series does go into more detail on the Senates problems/corruption, although it's not really that much (the Trade Federation senators working with the Separatists for example). Personally I don't like the whole "the democratic process is broken because the senators are crap"-idea, it works too well to justify Palpatine's rise (we need a strong leader because democracy is ineffective). Of course, that's how it worked in Rome 44/27 BC and Germany 1934...

The idea with switching R2 with C3PO is brilliant and works even better if you take said TV series into account, where Anakin cares a lot about R2 and not at all about C3PO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vseslav.botkin posted:

I dunno, Anakin building Artoo still leaves us with the problem of "why not build something that his mom might actually use?" I somehow doubt she has much use for an astromech droid, even if it can fly and hack into the Death Star and project holograms of princesses in distress. At most, you might get a useful beverage delivery system if you put a tray on top of him.

Of course, you actually have the same problem in the original trilogy, but there's enough good stuff around it you don't really notice....

Considering Uncle Owen wanted to buy one in the original movies, presumably it has uses beyond spaceship stuff. He wanted to buy C3-P0 as well, but that is because his wife yelled at him to get a translator that spoke whateverthehellese, which is presumably less useful for a slave then a fixit robot.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

vseslav.botkin posted:

You don't think a slave woman working for a space junk dealer having a fix-it droid has its uses?

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
What's the old Star Wars video game where you fought Darth Vader in the cantina and I think he turned into a rat when you beat him?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa6xOUku3E

Brings back terrifying memories of the Star Wars Christmas album.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Z. Beeblebrox IV posted:

The Senate is kind of messed up though, although it's probably completely unintentional. The cone-headed Jedi dude damningly deems Count Dooku, leader of the Seperatist movement, probably the number one threat to the Republic, as a heinous 'political idealist'. Being described like that is usually a good thing, a way to make a character seem 'good'. I know I've said this before but it just demonstrates how badly written that film was.

So, basically, enemies of the Senate/Republic are political idealists? :psyduck:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Milky Moor posted:

The Senate is kind of messed up though, although it's probably completely unintentional. The cone-headed Jedi dude damningly deems Count Dooku, leader of the Seperatist movement, probably the number one threat to the Republic, as a heinous 'political idealist'. Being described like that is usually a good thing, a way to make a character seem 'good'. I know I've said this before but it just demonstrates how badly written that film was.

So, basically, enemies of the Senate/Republic are political idealists? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that was a subtle hint to suggest the Sith are very good at hiding.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Milky Moor posted:

Isn't he downplaying Dooku by basically saying he's harmless and couldn't have been behind the attempted assassination of Senator Padme? I.e. that he's basically harmless (which turns out to be false, because the Jedi in the PT are portrayed as high-functioning retards).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Has any novels/comics just a before Phantom Menace tried to tackle the corrupt senate thing?

All pre-prequal non KOTOR novels I've seen seem to be Darth Maul/Black Sun set up masturbationary waffle.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Has any novels/comics just a before Phantom Menace tried to tackle the corrupt senate thing?

All pre-prequal non KOTOR novels I've seen seem to be Darth Maul/Black Sun set up masturbationary waffle.

I think a few of the Republic comics that take place before TPM revolve around corrupt senators and the like.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Biplane posted:

I think a few of the Republic comics that take place before TPM revolve around corrupt senators and the like.

One of them about the smaller hyperspace war with Tarkins retarded dad? I quite enjoyed that comic :).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

vseslav.botkin posted:

Now that you mention it, I don't think they ever even said what Anakin's mom actually DOES for Watto. I just skimmed her Wookieepedia article and it looks like it was never even established in the EU.

"Something she might actually use" would be very different depending on if her job was scrubbing Watto's floors, doing Watto's marketing and accounting and space taxes, or :a2m:.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bet there is some hot Toydarian on strained looking middle aged woman action fanfiction on the internet.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Powered Descent posted:

:a2m:.

Well, that certainly explains the Anakin origin story.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of them about the smaller hyperspace war with Tarkins retarded dad? I quite enjoyed that comic :).

Yeah that story owned. And it made the Jedi seem competent!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's something that's always confused me about Episode III: what's with the Emperor's cloak of non-reverberating voice?
Seriously, his voice echos all over the place, then he puts on the hood, and it's like someone flipped a switch.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Whether shown on screen or not, we have two things to go on:

1. A bureaucracy even in a small form (a la the United States legislature) is filled with backroom deals, pork spending, favoritism, etc. Imagine this on a galactic scale.
2. We are told through the story about the corruption in the Senate. We are given a few examples, specifically Chancellor Valorum's no confidence vote, the lack of decisive action regarding the Naboo blockade, inability to handle a crisis of the Separatist movement without turning over power to a dictator, etc.

Obviously the New Order was a superior way of keeping the galaxy in line.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Milky Moor posted:

Well, I doubt it was commentary to this depth, but if the Jedi seem to be an ancient religious order, and an extremely conservative one at that. Generally speaking, most conservative religions are not fans of those who question the status quo.

Freedom of speech, new ideas, changing beliefs? Tools of political idealists, those are.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

There's something that's always confused me about Episode III: what's with the Emperor's cloak of non-reverberating voice?
Seriously, his voice echos all over the place, then he puts on the hood, and it's like someone flipped a switch.

The story about this is that Ian McDiarmid's voice was pretty much shot from shooting the screaming lines, but they had to stick to the shooting schedule, so they just modulated his voice in post.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
His cloak is made out of spaceducks.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

LLJKSiLk posted:

2. We are told through the story about the corruption in the Senate. We are given a few examples, specifically Chancellor Valorum's no confidence vote, the lack of decisive action regarding the Naboo blockade, inability to handle a crisis of the Separatist movement without turning over power to a dictator, etc.

None of that's actually corrupt. It's perfectly kosher for a deliberative assembly to replace their leadership, to defer action and form committees, and delegate power. Those things may be bad ideas, but purely in terms of parliamentary procedure they're legitimate things for an assembly to do.

Corruption is stuff like blackmail, rigging the ballots, extorting money for votes and whatnot. We didn't see any of that.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Captain von Trapp posted:

None of that's actually corrupt. It's perfectly kosher for a deliberative assembly to replace their leadership, to defer action and form committees, and delegate power. Those things may be bad ideas, but purely in terms of parliamentary procedure they're legitimate things for an assembly to do.

Corruption is stuff like blackmail, rigging the ballots, extorting money for votes and whatnot. We didn't see any of that.

I think in regard to the Valorum example, his vizier or whatever whispered in his ear once the Trade Federation allies started banding together and all of a sudden his will to do anything was gone.

Likely because they had a holo-recording of him blowing little boys or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duckula posted:

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa6xOUku3E

Brings back terrifying memories of the Star Wars Christmas album.
TFU has made me want to a break a tv too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The only evidence of corruption from the PT that I can think of is that Padme mentions that the Republic failed to convict Nute Gunray of anything after he was caught red handed invading Naboo. Otherwise, we have to take everyone's word that the Senate is corrupt.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Mahoshonen posted:

The only evidence of corruption from the PT that I can think of is that Padme mentions that the Republic failed to convict Nute Gunray of anything after he was caught red handed invading Naboo. Otherwise, we have to take everyone's word that the Senate is corrupt.

Well, it would ruin the pacing of the story to spend valuable (heh) amounts of screen time devoted to Senate dealings at the expense of pew pew lasers and lightsabers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

The fact that the Trade Federation has Senators in the first place shows that the Republic is corrupt. A business is being represented on the same scale as a planetary government.