Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have no idea how you can say that audio of the PC version isn't that much better than the SNES one. If you're only familiar with the SNES version, you only know a crippled soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Mierenneuker posted:

I have no idea how you can say that audio of the PC version isn't that much better than the SNES one. If you're only familiar with the SNES version, you only know a crippled soundtrack.

Its been awhile since ive fired up the SNES version and maybe im just too used to the HD version on the PS3, its a good game for sure and my only major gripe ive had with it is that if you accidentaly hit escape you exit to the main menu without any confirmation.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Thanks for all the replies, I'll add this to the wishlist. If you're interested in a sound comparison, the following videos are from Earthworm Jim 2.

SNES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FqGKYTv8A

Genesis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQt3M61RaI

Saturn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByVPTBpbzPs

Now that I've gone through several videos, I have to say I had NO idea there was such a vast difference between the console versions of this game. I'm going to do some more digging, once again, thanks for the help. :)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Picked up the Ishar Compilation today, and have spent about half an hour with Crystals of Aborea so far. I think the only screenshot of CoA on GOG is not a gameplay scene, but a conversation in one of the huts, so I didn't realize it was slightly different from the "Dungeon Master but harder" formula.

You have a main character who I believe is always a warrior, and six followers which can be any combination of warriors, rangers, and wizards. You're then basically dropped onto the island/world. Your main character moves around in a first person view, and can bring along a selection or all of his followers. Followers can also be moved around individually or in groups in the world map view. The idea is to wander around the map looking for four crystals, although you'll come across huts and tunnels and fountains and stuff too. All of this passes in real time.

When enemies are encountered, game time stops and the game switches to a battle screen, which amounts to a 7x6 grid only showing heads (starting positions seem to be pretty random, which can suck for rangers/wizards). Combat is turn-based, and each side moves everyone at once (you can move your characters in any order you like). Each character can move a single space. Warriors can attack adjacent squares; rangers can attack orthogonally and diagonally in straight lines, but cannot target adjacent squares, and cannot fire over characters/enemies; wizards can only cast spells (no attacking), and to do so they must remain stationary for a turn. Getting hit also does interrupt the spell, so you probably won't want to be next to an enemy when you start casting.

And that's about all I've gleaned from it so far. The main character starts out with five potions he can pass out to his followers (restoring 10 HP each), but I haven't found any other way to restore health so far. Each character also has an energy stat which depletes over time (and casting spells also uses energy), but this can be restored by telling individual followers to sleep.

I won't be able to play any more until later, but it seems pretty fun so far.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

The best version of EWJ1 is the Special Edition for Sega CD, or PC (which is now insanely hard to find and has issues working on anything above 9x). Short of that, the Genesis release is probably the one to go for. (Virtual Console to the rescue here.) The DOS version on GOG has the neato CD music, but somehow butchered controls.

I'd say the best version of EWJ2 is the SNES one. Genesis version is nearly identical but they really made the SNES sound chip jump through some hoops for the sound effects that the Genesis just couldn't replicate. Any and all of EWJ2's ports that have the CD soundtrack, are either missing the Lorenzen's Soil level, or feature awkwardly retouched graphics, or in the case of the GOG release, both.

And all of this is assuming you can even get the games to run. They were somewhat temperamental before, but somewhere down the line GOG 'updated' the install package and now I can't run them at all :v:

Pretty much the only reason you should buy the GOG compilation is for the kickass CD soundtracks, but that was reason enough for me. If they were on iTunes and separated by game you'd probably be paying $20 for them.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 8, 2010

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Discount Viscount posted:

I got the Earthworm Jim 1&2 pack on sale, and for two games it's worth it. They're fine ports except for not being the DEFINITIVE versions (which I guess would be the Sega CD/later PC release of the first, and the Saturn version of 2)
The Saturn version of Earthworm Jim 2 was odd. It had improved visuals and sound, and for some reason an insanely cranked-up difficulty level. I could walk through levels on SNES with no trouble, but on Saturn the same levels would simply destroy me.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I'm finally getting around to playing the Broken Sword games. I got the first on steam and I think it's a remake with a bunch of stuff added for release on GBA. I already have 2 and 3 on gog, but do they also have voice acting and the interesting animation sequences as well? I am really liking this first game a ton though. One of the better adventure games I've played in a long while.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Armor-Piercing posted:

Picked up the Ishar Compilation today, and have spent about half an hour with Crystals of Aborea so far. I think the only screenshot of CoA on GOG is not a gameplay scene, but a conversation in one of the huts, so I didn't realize it was slightly different from the "Dungeon Master but harder" formula.

You have a main character who I believe is always a warrior, and six followers which can be any combination of warriors, rangers, and wizards. You're then basically dropped onto the island/world. Your main character moves around in a first person view, and can bring along a selection or all of his followers. Followers can also be moved around individually or in groups in the world map view. The idea is to wander around the map looking for four crystals, although you'll come across huts and tunnels and fountains and stuff too. All of this passes in real time.

When enemies are encountered, game time stops and the game switches to a battle screen, which amounts to a 7x6 grid only showing heads (starting positions seem to be pretty random, which can suck for rangers/wizards). Combat is turn-based, and each side moves everyone at once (you can move your characters in any order you like). Each character can move a single space. Warriors can attack adjacent squares; rangers can attack orthogonally and diagonally in straight lines, but cannot target adjacent squares, and cannot fire over characters/enemies; wizards can only cast spells (no attacking), and to do so they must remain stationary for a turn. Getting hit also does interrupt the spell, so you probably won't want to be next to an enemy when you start casting.

And that's about all I've gleaned from it so far. The main character starts out with five potions he can pass out to his followers (restoring 10 HP each), but I haven't found any other way to restore health so far. Each character also has an energy stat which depletes over time (and casting spells also uses energy), but this can be restored by telling individual followers to sleep.

I won't be able to play any more until later, but it seems pretty fun so far.

There is a thing that you really need to be careful in Ishar. Each character has a love/hate indicator towards all the other characters. For example, the lizardmen hate other races, etc. So when you recruit someone, you will need to vote (because the groupe is a democracy !). The worst part is that you'll need to assassinate someone if he is not willing to recruit the character you want. And sometimes, you can have a chain reaction where everyone one stabs each other, like this:

Watch out for the first guy you can found, he is a thief and WILL betray you. One day, you will wake up and you won't find him or you money anymore.

I played a lot to this game when I was a kid, the third one is probably the best in the series. The second is awful though.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

doctorfrog posted:

Ok, in spite of looking like crap, and probably being hard as balls, this is really making me want to buy RR.

Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling. I have a soft spot for games that dump you off on the middle of a vast, foreign world with little more than your wits and a sharp stick to stay alive.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

hogswallower posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing the Broken Sword games. I got the first on steam and I think it's a remake with a bunch of stuff added for release on GBA. I already have 2 and 3 on gog, but do they also have voice acting and the interesting animation sequences as well? I am really liking this first game a ton though. One of the better adventure games I've played in a long while.
Both 2 and 3 have the same clever dialogue and great voice acting as the first one. Those animation sequences were added into the Director's cut, though, so they are not present in the other games. (The second game still has the Don Bluth-style cutscenes and animation, but I assume you're talking about the comic-book style close-ups). The 2nd one kind of has a lacklustre ending, and the 3rd has some unwise design decisions due to the fact that it was originally supposed to be a game that moved adventure games into a 3D space on consoles, but both are worth playing, even though neither of them are as good as the first one, which is personally my favourite adventure game of all time. Skip the 4th one, though.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 9, 2010

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So, does anyone want to motivate/inform/help me with the early stages of Master of Orion? That's one huge-rear end manual, and I just tried to play the game without reading it and got my rear end handed to me early on. Do I need to just suck it up and get through that big PDF so I can enjoy the game, or does it become more intuitive?

What makes this game so great? How long does a game usually last? And does the tech/research tree compare to that of, say, Civilization?

MOO's loved by nerds the world over, and I want to enjoy a piece of that (and I don't just want to skip the original and go on to MOO2 either).

Any goon love here would be appreciated!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

So, does anyone want to motivate/inform/help me with the early stages of Master of Orion? That's one huge-rear end manual, and I just tried to play the game without reading it and got my rear end handed to me early on. Do I need to just suck it up and get through that big PDF so I can enjoy the game, or does it become more intuitive?

What makes this game so great? How long does a game usually last? And does the tech/research tree compare to that of, say, Civilization?

MOO's loved by nerds the world over, and I want to enjoy a piece of that (and I don't just want to skip the original and go on to MOO2 either).

Any goon love here would be appreciated!

Well it's Civilisation, but in space. And with diplomacy. And espionage. And the ability to design your own units. And faction. You know how everyone raves about Alpha Centauri because it was Civ 2 but with the diplomacy and espionage and the ability to design your own units and faction? Well this is like that. But in space.

The one bit of key advice is: expand, expand, expand constantly. Build poo poo.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This isn't GoG per se but it is what I believe to be good old games. The old Kohan games are available to buy at a reasonable price from the developer's website:
http://www.timegate.com/store/

I never played them, were they any good and if so which ones are worth buying?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.gog.com/en/news/hot_news_someone_broke_into_gog_com_office/

quote:

We have some terrifying news for all good old gamers. Last night some Black Ops broke into the GOG.com office in order to take over our TOP SECRET release plans. They had to know we were planning a big release! We've managed to intercept video footage of the whole operation, which you can watch here*. These events won't stop us from bringing you more great PC classics, so stay tuned for our next releases!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2wg1_xO5bQ

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

What could be bigger than the Infinity Engine games? drat you GoG!

vvv I'm at work so I had no sound on the video. Any other interesting bits of dialogue or sound effects?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"What the hell, is that Steam?!"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Hemish posted:

EA's catalogue?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So GoG going to release Marsellus Wallace's soul next week?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Valve bought GoG from CDProjekt and all games are now merged into your Steam account?

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Valve bought GoG from CDProjekt and all games are now merged into your Steam account?

This would loving suck.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I'm all for that as long as the GoG catalogue titles are DRM free so you can backup them and do what you want. Also, future GoG releases would be like this too! We shouldn't lose the way they make sure their games work while Steam has some old titles that come with a "gently caress You Figure Out A Way To Make It Work Yourself".

It might just be a little nod at Steam. Another important game or catalog must have been secured by GoG.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

So GoG going to release Marsellus Wallace's soul next week?
I've been waiting forever for them to remove that suitcase DRM. Almost as bad as StarForce.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Hemish posted:

Thief! :allears:

I can dream.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Honest Thief posted:

EA's catalogue?

Please be this so they finally can release System Shock 2 in a format that doesn't require rocket science to get working on a modern system :dance:

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

pixelbaron posted:

Thief! :allears:

I can dream.
Yeah, the complete Looking Glass catalogue done in the same way as the Infinity Engine releases - so Thief 1, 2, 3, Terra Nova then System Shock 1,2, then ... Flight Unlimited?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
They have Die by the Sword?! BLOODY HELL!

They have Total Annihilation?

I have both the original releases of these sitting on a shelf gathering dust because I can't make them work on Windows 7 x64.

Methinks I need to make some purchases.

Now all they need is Carmageddon and I'll be a happy man.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Yeah, the complete Looking Glass catalogue done in the same way as the Infinity Engine releases - so Thief 1, 2, 3, Terra Nova then System Shock 1,2, then ... Flight Unlimited?
Flight Unlimited II was loving awesome. :colbert:

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Alleric posted:

They have Die by the Sword?! BLOODY HELL!

They have Total Annihilation?

I have both the original releases of these sitting on a shelf gathering dust because I can't make them work on Windows 7 x64.

Methinks I need to make some purchases.

Now all they need is Carmageddon and I'll be a happy man.

Oh poo poo yes! The original Carmageddon! Who published that? One of my fondest memories.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Carmageddon was OK, but Carmageddon 2 was the absolute poo poo, and it needs to be up there

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
They're probably releasing the old Call of Duty games, what with the phrasing "Black Ops broke into the GOG.com office" on the same day that CoD: Black Ops is released.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I could see that being the case. Especially since so many Activision titles have yet to be released. (Everything that came out so far since the Activision deal has been Sierra.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ixnay posted:

They're probably releasing the old Call of Duty games, what with the phrasing "Black Ops broke into the GOG.com office" on the same day that CoD: Black Ops is released.

Actually CoD2 for $9.99 would be pretty cool.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Carmageddon was OK, but Carmageddon 2 was the absolute poo poo, and it needs to be up there

Are you on crack? Carmageddon 2 was like a lovely 3d version of Carmageddon 1 w/o anywhere near the level of awesomeness. The levels were shittier looking and had stupid fog, the cars were less detailed and handled more sluggishly, and the levels were smaller, and the physics wasn't as good as the original. How was it better exactly?

Carmageddon still stands as like one of the best car combat/racing/murdering games ever. Pt2 wasn't as good. 3.. well 3 was a bad idea.. well the mission levels in-between the race levels were a bad idea. And it could have used bigger levels too, but whatever. I want Carmageddon 1 again.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Bats posted:

Are you on crack? Carmageddon 2 was like a lovely 3d version of Carmageddon 1 w/o anywhere near the level of awesomeness. The levels were shittier looking and had stupid fog, the cars were less detailed and handled more sluggishly, and the levels were smaller, and the physics wasn't as good as the original. How was it better exactly?

Carmageddon still stands as like one of the best car combat/racing/murdering games ever. Pt2 wasn't as good. 3.. well 3 was a bad idea.. well the mission levels in-between the race levels were a bad idea. And it could have used bigger levels too, but whatever. I want Carmageddon 1 again.

Were you playing the same series as me? Carmageddon 2 had much better 'crashing into poo poo and ripping cars in half' physics.

The third one though... :smith:

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

15 months seems to call for lots of replayability, or long play times.

- HOMM3
- Master of Orion II
- Jagged Alliance 2
- IL-2 (not sure if you can pack a joystick wherever you are going though)
- Total Annihilation
- Age of Wonders
- Arcanum
- Baldur's Gate + Icewind Dale series + PS:T
- NWN has already been suggested
- Divine Divinity is supposed to have a large world

Also, there are tons of free games that you should pack that would also offer a lot of replayability. Nethack, ADOM, and Crawl immediately spring to mind. It's way out of date by now, but a netbook game collection I put together offers a number of titles: http://www.mediafire.com/?zdqnmm2hm15 (http://www.mediafire.com/?9z6sa73ya247q)

Do you happen to have this in torrent form somewhere? Individually downloading each of those files sounds pretty terrible.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Do you happen to have this in torrent form somewhere? Individually downloading each of those files sounds pretty terrible.

Just use the GOG downloader, I hear it works OK these days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zat posted:

Just use the GOG downloader, I hear it works OK these days.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the freeware games at the bottom of the post.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Ansob. posted:

Actually CoD2 for $9.99 would be pretty cool.

Yeah it would be, the entire COD series passed me by completely, so I'd certainly like to try them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

Yeah it would be, the entire COD series passed me by completely, so I'd certainly like to try them.

Was CoD2 the first FPS to do the regenerating health thing, or are there other ones I've forgotten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Dr Snofeld posted:

Was CoD2 the first FPS to do the regenerating health thing, or are there other ones I've forgotten?

Doesn't Halo do it? Or am I going crazy?