Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

foxatee posted:

After watching the second episode of the AMC series: Is it me, or does Lori seem like a slut? This is why I shouldn't watch adaptations :(

She believes her husband is dead, because he was in a coma in a building that was completely overrun by zombies. It is a reasonable assumption to make.

In a time of great stress and extended periods of personal danger, she has engaged in a quiet but consensual sexual relationship with her late husband's best friend, who is kind of a dickhead but who is providing her with a shoulder to lean on just when she needs it most, while providing a stable male role model for her young son. As far as we know, Shane is the only person she is involved with, and she is the only person Shane is involved with.

If Rick had gotten killed in episode one, you would not be asking this question at all.

In other words, yes. It is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TypohoidTimmy
Sep 25, 2003

Wanderer posted:

She believes her husband is dead, because he was in a coma in a building that was completely overrun by zombies. It is a reasonable assumption to make.

In a time of great stress and extended periods of personal danger, she has engaged in a quiet but consensual sexual relationship with her late husband's best friend, who is kind of a dickhead but who is providing her with a shoulder to lean on just when she needs it most, while providing a stable male role model for her young son. As far as we know, Shane is the only person she is involved with, and she is the only person Shane is involved with.

If Rick had gotten killed in episode one, you would not be asking this question at all.

Got to agree there...I mean we are talking a lot of hard edged parameters where the very nature of day to day actvities could mean life or death. She probably figured Rick was a dead man and there was nothing she could do...Agonizing choices that could by the very nature stress you in ways I don't want to comprehend. She needs comfort, support, anything that will take you away from the horror around you...and the thing she sees are the open arms of a person she trusts. I am sure there was a long time where there wasn't anything happening but eventually it grew to the point where it is on the show now.

It really should not be much of a debate.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Meh, it looked pretty trashy to me. The way they did it in the comic was more believable. It was something that happened at a low point and she pretty much new it was a mistake immediately. And Shane was just a confused, love sick idiot who was hung up on his best friends girl. In the show it's an ongoing thing where she looks at his ring for a second then get's down to business and Shane is a hilarious scumball who just oozes sleeze and misogyny. People made fun of Michael Rookers character for not being subtle, I thought Shanes character was equally ridiculous.

Ultimately it's a matter of how much time has passed between the hospital and them being at the camp. If it was something like a year or even 6 months one might expect that kind of behavior. But it probably wasn't more than a few weeks to a month at the most since they'd left him and the dude wasn't even dead when they left him, haha. If I'm in a coma and a Zombie Apocalypse happens and my best friend takes my wife somewhere else for safety I don't expect them to be loving like rabbits in the woods a month later. Nah, this was definitely sleezy behavior on the part of the wife and best friend.

Getting back to the comic it's interesting to go back and read the comments from a few issues ago when Rick was endangering his groups place in the community with his paranoia. That situation ended up not being nearly as a big a deal as we all thought it would. I thought there were going to be some serious consequences to Rick stealing the guns and then going berserk. But there really wasn't. He just got a knock on the head and a talk from Douglas. I think Douglas' reaction to the whole thing was very reasonable, maybe too reasonable, but he explained himself pretty well, I suppose. I just didn't expect it all to end up being defused the way it was.

It'll be interesting to see where things go after the end of the most recent issue. I guess we can expect a large scale zombie attack pretty soon and Rick finally in the position of leader of a fairly stable community. That all seems like pretty standard fare so hopefully we get a few curve balls in the mix there.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 9, 2010

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Meh, it looked pretty trashy to me. The way they did it in the comic was more believable. It was something that happened at a low point and she pretty much new it was a mistake immediately. And Shane was just a confused, love sick idiot who was hung up on his best friends girl. In the show it's an ongoing thing where she looks at his ring for a second then get's down to business and Shane is a hilarious scumball who just oozes sleeze and misogyny. People made fun of Michael Rookers character for not being subtle, I thought Shanes character was equally ridiculous.

Shane oozed sleaze (although I wouldn't call it misogyny, "sleaze" works just as well) in a private conversation with Rick that Lori wasn't privy to; in fact, that entire conversation is about how he edits his immediate reaction to women in order to be polite. When we see him as the leader of the survivors at the campsite, he's teaching Carl how to tie a knot, and the worst thing you can say about him is that he's way too cautious.

Lori was already fighting with Rick the day he went into the coma, and that was before having to give up her entire life in favor of a vagabond existence. We can also assume she's had at least a few close calls on their way into and back out of Atlanta. She knows Shane quite well, since he's her husband's best friend, and he's unattached.

In order to effectively judge a fictional character and his or her actions, it is important to consider what they know. We know that Lori is technically cheating on Rick and that Shane's got weird attitudes towards women. What they know is that they're in a bad situation, they're both unattached, and this is one of the ways they cope. It's perfectly natural and neither of them are doing anything immoral according to the information they have access to.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 9, 2010

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
"Weird attitudes towards women?" Are you loving serious? The guy is a grade A misogynistic scumbag. They practically beat us over the head with it in the first scene he's in.

We obviously have different ideas of what's "perfectly natural". I'd hope that I could rely on my wife and best friend to not start humping each others brains out a month after they leave me in a coma, regardless of the circumstances. It's a despicable thing to do any way you slice it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

cptInsane0 posted:

Two questions. Why are they still your friend, and why haven't you made them into a ghost?

Because it still isn't legal to kill someone for refusing to watch good movies. Indiana Jones 4 was his favorite of the movies because he hasn't seen the others, he's never seen any of the original Star Wars trilogy and just in the last couple months watched Back to the Future.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Len posted:

Because it still isn't legal to kill someone for refusing to watch good movies. Indiana Jones 4 was his favorite of the movies because he hasn't seen the others, he's never seen any of the original Star Wars trilogy and just in the last couple months watched Back to the Future.

Not a jury in the world would convict you.

Not even taking into account the entire adultery thing, I don't particularly care for Lori, either in the TV show or the books. She always seemed so pouty and useless a lot of the time, and it was like her character existed just as a way to piss Rick off. I didn't see her pregnancy as anything but another crisis to deal with, and couldn't see how her character would progress beyond "pregnant wife in the background."

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

-Blackadder- posted:

See, if I had never read the comic, I probably wouldn't think so poorly of her right now. The comic did present it differently, and her actions were something I could understand and forgive. She was scared, lonely, and vulnerable. And yes, immediately afterward she realized her mistake in succumbing to her weakness. I didn't see that in the show, which makes me think, "loving slut."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The show presents it in a much more unsavory way but her being a "slut" is probably you projecting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The show presents it in a much more unsavory way but her being a "slut" is probably you projecting.
She's taking an unseemly amount of pleasure in screwing her presumably dead husband's best friend, though. Something more than a moment's guilt before you take off your wedding ring necklace and go right on loving is called for.

What's interesting is going to be the Rick/Shane dynamic and how that comes to a head. If it plays out like it did in the comics, this is taking a lot of the blame off of Shane's shoulders and putting it on Lori's. One grief-stricken moment of wanting comfort is a lot different than regular hookups when it comes to making a case that Lori really wanted to be with you, and Rick is ruining everything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
None of what you said changes what I said, it remains to be seen whether the writing of that character will be spectacularly wretched and one-dimensional as we're only two episodes in.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

I'm not sure what I'm projecting. My moral standards, maybe? But yes. I should save my judgment for when the entire series has ended. Then I'll know how to feel!

foxatee posted:

See, if I had never read the comic, I probably wouldn't think so poorly of her right now.
Dun dun dunnnnnn~

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

"Weird attitudes towards women?" Are you loving serious? The guy is a grade A misogynistic scumbag. They practically beat us over the head with it in the first scene he's in.

I went back and watched the scene again before making my original post. He's complaining about how women never turn off the light switch, in a speech that's clearly not meant to endear him to the audience. His language is unpleasant and he's clearly drawn to women with father issues, but I'd submit that "misogynistic" is an overstatement.

Then again, doing some quick reading on the subject, my initial reaction to the word "misogynist" may be different from yours.

-Blackadder- posted:

We obviously have different ideas of what's "perfectly natural". I'd hope that I could rely on my wife and best friend to not start humping each others brains out a month after they leave me in a coma, regardless of the circumstances. It's a despicable thing to do any way you slice it.

The timeframe being muddy is the most obvious issue. We don't know how long Rick was in his coma or, more relevantly, how long he was in his coma after the hospital outbreak. We know it's not been more than a week or so since the hospital fell, because Rick had a fresh enough IV to keep him alive and his hair was still pretty short (and the dude obviously had a pretty dedicated nurse), but we've got no indication how long he was in the coma beforehand.

We also don't know the beginnings of Shane and Lori's new relationship, and that may be a larger sticking point. My immediate inclination is to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that the relationship is new and post-outbreak; you're clearly starting from a different immediate assessment, which is totally fair.

If it is post-outbreak, and they think Rick died in the hospital, it's considerably less questionable than if they're carrying on an affair that began pre-outbreak. I can understand their making the assumption that Rick's dead given how infested the hospital was, or could be expected to be, particularly with Carl to worry about. I guess it's a question of waiting and seeing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Morality aside, it's also a question of "what the gently caress do you two assholes think you're doing going off in the woods by yourselves". They deserve to get bit and Shane deserves to get shot in the face for that oh-so-endearing "oh look at me I'm creeping up behind you" act.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Regarding Lori and Shane, I think Kirkman did things a lot better. Shane and Lori are ultimately good people that made a mistake. Lori was able to try to move beyond it. Shane couldn't deal after Rick came back.

In the show, Shane is a sleazy misogynistic douche. His first exchange with Lori is him treating her like a child. I have no idea why Lori is attracted to him. You can make up some motivations for her, but those are irrelevant since the show doesn't present them.

I cannot over emphasize how much better the show would be if it exclusively focused on Rick and had his family being in the camp a twist for the third episode.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Regarding Lori and Shane, I think Kirkman did things a lot better. Shane and Lori are ultimately good people that made a mistake. Lori was able to try to move beyond it. Shane couldn't deal after Rick came back.

In the show, Shane is a sleazy misogynistic douche. His first exchange with Lori is him treating her like a child. I have no idea why Lori is attracted to him. You can make up some motivations for her, but those are irrelevant since the show doesn't present them.

I cannot over emphasize how much better the show would be if it exclusively focused on Rick and had his family being in the camp a twist for the third episode.

I think it all boils down to this: They are just working harder to make Shane seem more of a "villain", given what is probably going to happen to him at the end of the season.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CapnAndy posted:

One grief-stricken moment of wanting comfort is a lot different than regular hookups when it comes to making a case that Lori really wanted to be with you, and Rick is ruining everything.

It's been a while for sure but I was under the impression that the comics had at least implied that it was a regular thing and not just a one night stand, that they were together so to speak.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, the main difference is she actually looked conflicted about the whole thing. I think it was issue 8 or so when they were right outside of Atlanta on the road and she acted as if she regretted it and this was before Rick showed up.

The show just doesn't feel like Lori gives a gently caress and wants to get her rocks off.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The way that whole scene played out, I wouldn't have been surprised at all if they pulled out some handcuffs and a cowboy hat.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That isn't how I saw the scenes with Shane and Lori at all, but I suppose if you didn't see any of the conflict she had, it would come across that way.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Yeah, I never got any sense that she was enjoying it from the show. It felt to me far more like she was doing it out of some sense of obligation or self-preservation than just slutting it up.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Watching the mini-interviews they had with some of the actors/actresses, Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori) states that her character doesn't believe she's in a relationship with Shane; she's acting on basic urges and just wants a warm body to hold onto. I think the fact that it was Shane made the choice easier on her. At least this is someone she is familiar with-- someone she can trust-- rather than some random survivor.

If she was sexin' him up out of some sense of obligation, she certainly didn't show it (at least to me). That looked like a woman thoroughly enjoying herself.

But whatever, right? It IS the second episode, after all. We'll just have to see how she handles it when Rick shows up.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
She seemed pretty uncomfortable to me, but maybe I'm adding my own thoughts to it.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Wow is it me or did the show take a huge diversion from the book?

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
It did, but now it's telling a different story.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
While the stuff may be out of nowhere, I'm sure this CDC thing wont be more than a better old people's home side story.

It's still telling the same story, just gonna take its own path till the mile markers.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
AMC Presents What if... Stephen King Had Written The Walking Dead?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
How close is the writer of the comic to the tv show? I would be kinda cool if the comic was just about survival while the TV show focused on the virus/cure.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

How close is the writer of the comic to the tv show?

Kirkman wrote the fourth episode, so I think he has at least a little creative input.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Just finished issue #79 and I have to say: :drat:

poo poo just got real, yo.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Next issue will determine whether this situation is Fight or Flight...
At the back of my mind, dipped in very stale shounen-manga sauce, is the idea that we'll see some sort-of week/month-long time skip where Rick and Co. are trapped in the Community with dwindling supplies, in-house fighting, hints of cannibalism, etc.

But what I really expect at this point are...
Explosions or Genocide via Road Kills.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
I don't know if it's me being stupid or the art making the geography unclear, but I couldn't quite tell how bad things were at the end of this last issue. Are the two groups that are outside the gate cut off from getting back inside by that herd, or did they just discover that there is a herd outside very close to the town?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, I had to do a couple of looks at that since it seems like they're in a walled area (and is that the bell tower in the background the snipping spot?). But I guess it just shows the zombies are so close to the gate.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I know that Kirkman wants to push that fact that he doesn't play by the comic rules we are used to by killing off main characters, but I think if Kirkman does another culling of the cast in No Way Out, it will make all the deaths seem gimmicky like how Loeb made them feel in Ultimatum.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, there was some awful visual storytelling going on there. I mean, I get what went down, but it really took away a lot of the impact of what is kind of a big deal.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 5, 2010

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
edit: blah, wrong thread sorry.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Found out about the comics from the show and I went out and grabbed the walking dead compendium.

It was awesome and you guys were right about it being excellent in trades. The compendium ended with The prison being overrun by the governor and lori getting shot

Are there any trades that pick up after that point?

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
Yep. You are way behind. They just finished number 79. Pretty sure there is at least one collection after that. If not, I know there is one coming out soon.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

cptInsane0 posted:

Yep. You are way behind. They just finished number 79. Pretty sure there is at least one collection after that. If not, I know there is one coming out soon.

The most recent trade ends with the issue where Rick smacks down the the 'evil survivors' that have been coming to the new utopia. I liked the way they had these survivors being a background feature, making you think you were looking at a new Woodbury type situation, but having them dispatched drat quickly. Whereas the real threat is yet to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

cptInsane0 posted:

What trades would follow from where I ended?

• Locked thread