Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks BetterLekNextTime.

Have a video of a duck doing things:
http://flic.kr/p/8Cmwvn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Short-billed Dowitcher

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat good job getting low and on the subjects level; it made for a very nice shot. I have some shots from Six Mile Slough, but none I can get to at the moment. Will edit this soon. Added below.

Also, I want a 600 bad :(

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 25, 2010

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
^ Sorry, I'm going to gently caress up your planned edit.

Bohemian Waxwings:

Waxwing's have been one of my favorite birds ever since I was a kid, but I think I've only seen them in person a couple times in my life. Yesterday we there were a ton of birds hanging out by my house for no reason. At one time I saw Chicadees, Juncos, Robins, a couple downy woodpeckers and a hummingbird all in the same tiny tree. A little later in the day I glanced out and saw a whole flock of Waxwings.

Harlequin Duck's

What I wouldn't have given for a 100-400mm in this situation. I tried to get closer to get some up close shots, but they unfortunately took off.

Great Blue Heron

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
No worries :)

I know birders are notorious for wanting longer glass, so I might as well add this one to the pack. This was 160 feet out and is a 100% crop with a 400 f5.6. Tricolored Heron all worked up.

And my favorite, the :swoon:Green Heron!:swoon: The picture itself is pretty boring (he's not really doing anything) and heavily cropped (100%), but I just love these little guys.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Finally got a photo of a heron without the leggy bastard flying off :neckbeard::

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Good work bud. That is some interesting plumage I haven't seen on a Great Blue Heron before. Very neat.

Went to Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and saw the rare endangered ghost orchid that was blooming out of season along with your usual suspects. Unfortunately, it was way to far away to get a picture of with my gear. I did however get what I wanted (sorta): a Painted Bunting. This guy has been on my list for a while now, however he didn't want to sit outside the feeder, so I had to settle for this one this time. Next time you will be in the beautiful sun drat it!

Also got a Little Blue Heron getting a snack

Here's a 100% on the spider

e: added little blue heron

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 9, 2010

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Bahama.Llama posted:

Good work bud. That is some interesting plumage I haven't seen on a Great Blue Heron before. Very neat.

It's actually a Grey Heron which is similar to the Blue Heron but found in Europe and Africa.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
That would explain the different plumage. :doh:

Thanks for the follow up.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004
I was worried all the birds already left town for winter. But a few ducks were still around.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Wattlebird:

junior wattlebird by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

Don't know what this is, taken in outback Australia:

Miniature Bird by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Takeoff Big Grey (Heron?) Bird
I took this from a hide at the LWC (London, UK), feeling like a bit of an imposter surrounded by all the die hard twitchers. One bird-geek nearly creamed his pants, having spotted a Bearded Tit in the reeds. Sure, they seem to be pretty rare (around 500 breeding pairs), but still, he acted like he'd just won the lottery and shagged the Olsen Twins.

Guts - Feeding time at the Prague Zoo.

Sugar Rush - Sadly this is the best I could get out of these hyper parrots. A walk-in enclosure at the Prague Zoo, on top of the hill - well worth the walk up to these guys (there's a chair lift for the lazy).

less_than_one fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 16, 2010

manpants
Mar 12, 2009

less_than_one posted:

[/url]

The others are good but this one is really wicked.

I finally forked out the cash for a 2x extender for my 70-200mm, so I'm going to see if any birds are around tomorrow if it's not tipping it down (Which it probably will be, stupid England :( )

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Cattle Egret

Great Horned Owl

Double-Crested Cormorant

Black JFK
Jul 18, 2003
Noooooo!

owl by zombiidoctor, on Flickr

Wish I had gotten its right eye.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Got inspired by the great photos posted here. Had a break in the rain this weekend, and shot these from my back stairs. t2i with 70-300IS, ISO 800.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nice. I've been trying to get a decent shot of a Bush Tit myself for a while, but they are the jumpiest birds in the world and only have a vague interest in my feeders.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Proudly showing off the only time I've ever got close to a bird and not have it run away (zis bird doesn't fly)

Weka Weka Weka by i.morrison, on Flickr

I think I need to order myself a 1200mm f5.6 just for a little walkabout birding lens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nice. I've been trying to get a decent shot of a Bush Tit myself for a while, but they are the jumpiest birds in the world and only have a vague interest in my feeders.

Thanks- yeah, the bushtits they were after bugs on our plantings, not the feeder. They seem really bold until you pull out a camera. This was the first time I've managed to get half-decent pictures.

Oh, and beautiful light on the coot, Dread Head. I'm so happy this thread is picking up steam again.

A few more from the same day (hope this isn't too critter-questy).

Dark-eyed Junco

White-crowned Sparrow

Western Scrub-jay

Downy Woodpecker

Red-breasted Nuthatch

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

We actually got some nice weather today so I spent some time in the backyard with my far-to-short nifty two-fifty.

Yellow Rumped Warblers. First time I've ever seen them.

Yellow Rumped Warbler by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20101204-20101204-_MG_7179.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Female and Male House Finches, I believe. Could be Purple Finches as well, I suppose.

20101204-20101204-_MG_7191.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20101204-20101204-_MG_7135.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Black Capped Chicadee.

20101204-20101204-_MG_7133.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Since it says "for n00bs" in the thread, I hope it's ok for a real n00b to ask a question. If this is the wrong thread, please ignore me.

This is shot from a distance of maybe 4 meters, here's other relevant data:

Camera: SONY
Model: DSLR-A200
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 300mm
Flash Used: No

Honestly, it was sunny outside (winter) and I had to go all the way up to 1600 ISO to get it bright enough. My photos seem to get grainy at 800 ISO too, but any lower and my picture is all dark. How do I go from this dark unsharp photo to those beautiful and clear photos in this thread? I think I have a basic understanding of the A/F/S settings on my camera, but I don't think that's the problem here or is it?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Looks like you've focused on the bird feeder, not the bird. The white of the background is likely messing with your meter too, resulting in an underexposed image. If you shot RAW this isn't such a huge problem, just fix it in post.

Sony isn't known for great high ISO, but it isn't that bad at web resolution. Also fixable in post.

A fast, quality lens is going to help as well, but the above points seem to be the bigger problem with this picture.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
That still seems pretty dark at those settings if it was sunny outside. Are all of your lenses that dark? If it was sunny at all I can't imagine needing ISO 1600 with f5.6 and 1/400 with my camera.

Not to mention it's still underexposed.

You don't have a UV filter or anything on your lens do you?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
This seems counter intuitive but the background is what makes a good bird photo. Look at any "good" bird photo and they will usually have a nice plain background with no details, this helps showcase your main subject, the bird in this case without taking away from it. If you are using a feeder you can setup a natural perch with something that is going to give you a pleasant background such as some cut branches or something along those lines.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My lens isn't L glass or anything fancy, but it does have image stabilization which helps some for hand-holding. If you are having problems with stability, you might try a monopod or tripod (or beanbag/deck railing or whatever you have handy), which might get you another stop for ISO.

You might check on-line reviews for your lens to see what kind of performance you should expect. I've been thinking about upgrading to a better telephoto or telephoto zoom, and from what I've been reading, apparently many of the lower priced lenses suck when shooting wide open at their longest focal length.

Also, at feeders, you can to some extent pre-focus if you know where the bird is going to land. If your camera has slow or crappy AF, shooting MF might get you another few pics, which for flitty little birds might be all you need.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
subx: No UV filters, no.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

If you are having problems with stability, you might try a monopod or tripod

I'm using a tripod and remote control.

quote:

Also, at feeders, you can to some extent pre-focus if you know where the bird is going to land.

Yeah I prefocused on the feeder (as scottch noted) then moved abit right to try to catch the bird in-flight before or after it landed. It doesn't seem to be 100% focused though.

The lens I'm using (75-300mm) is probably the cheapest you can get since it came with the camera (along with a 18-70mm) but it seemed like a good deal at the moment.

The problem now is that the sun is up from 10:00 to 15:00 here, and I work from 8 to 16 so not much chance to take more shoots before Saturday.. Thanks for all the pointers, guys! I'll keep shooting and see if anything improves.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

zapateria posted:

Since it says "for n00bs" in the thread, I hope it's ok for a real n00b to ask a question. If this is the wrong thread, please ignore me.

This is shot from a distance of maybe 4 meters, here's other relevant data:

Camera: SONY
Model: DSLR-A200
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 300mm
Flash Used: No

Honestly, it was sunny outside (winter) and I had to go all the way up to 1600 ISO to get it bright enough. My photos seem to get grainy at 800 ISO too, but any lower and my picture is all dark. How do I go from this dark unsharp photo to those beautiful and clear photos in this thread? I think I have a basic understanding of the A/F/S settings on my camera, but I don't think that's the problem here or is it?

Not quite sure what the deal is, but this looks like an issue I've run into before when shooting in overcast conditions with sky as a backdrop. Even if I bump up exposure compensation in the camera the sky in the background makes things really difficult.

subx posted:

That still seems pretty dark at those settings if it was sunny outside. Are all of your lenses that dark? If it was sunny at all I can't imagine needing ISO 1600 with f5.6 and 1/400 with my camera.

Not to mention it's still underexposed.

You don't have a UV filter or anything on your lens do you?

It may have been sunny outside, but I don't think there was direct light hitting the bird. More than likely it was in shade or possibly there was a cloud over the sun. For reference, the first photo in my post up above is almost the same settings (250mm, ISO 1600, 1/400s, F/5.6). It was taken in the shade of my house on a partly cloudy day.

Edit: On the focus issue, it's always possible that the feeder swayed enough from the bird landing on it that it went out of focus.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 6, 2010

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Like shooting fish in a barrel...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lapland Longspur for critique by Execudork, on Flickr

Please feel free to criticize this photo, I'm planning to print it (fairly large, like 8 x 10) and give it as a gift for christmas. It's one of the few bird pictures from my summer fieldwork that's not completely out of focus.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Please feel free to criticize this photo, I'm planning to print it (fairly large, like 8 x 10) and give it as a gift for christmas. It's one of the few bird pictures from my summer fieldwork that's not completely out of focus.

I'm honestly not finding a lot to like with this. The composition pretty bland. If you haven't already cropped it to death I'd crop it some more. I'm kind of unsure what's going on with the processing. I assumed it was tone mapped, but the fact that the other stuff in your photostream isn't makes me wonder. Either way, the grass seems was too distracting for me and the bird really gets lost in the mix. Cropping could help this, but I'd also think about seeing if you can isolate it even more. Desaturate specific colors in lightroom or use some masks if you have photoshop maybe?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I pretty much agree with the comments above. You might get rid of the left most 15% or so, and maybe the bottom 10%. I think this would make for a better composition, although I'm not sure what size this will end up giving you. The bird isn't big enough to dominate the photo, so I think you need for it to be more offset from the center. I don't know much about color processing, but what you have seems kind of in between a "fresh, realistic" look and a purposefully antiqued look.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I think that image is pretty much beyond salvaging, it's already a pretty tight crop. I don't know how to do tone mapping (or, for that matter, precisely what that is... I'll go looking for a tutorial one of these days). I have GIMP, and I know how to do only the most simple, simple edits. The slightly weird look is probably from the "unsharp mask" filter I ran over it, and pushing the contrast up a bit too high.

But enough about that picture. Here's one that I think is better. Too much sharpening?

Snow Bunting Juvenile for critique by Execudork, on Flickr
Plectrophenax nivalis
There were at least 2 families of Snow Buntings with nests within a few metres of my tent. The males were especially prone to perching on top of my tent and chirping their drat heads off at each other, at 2:00 am (24 hour sunlight means they Never. Shut. UP.). Once the chicks were at the fluttering-around-semi-effectively stage, the parents got even worse, probably because they were pissed off and stressed out from the constant chirping demands of their offspring, who followed them around (clumsily) across the tundra.

Cute, though.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I love shooting birds :3:

Reflections by Jenseale, on Flickr

IMG_1323 by Jenseale, on Flickr

IMG_1235 by Jenseale, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I think that image is pretty much beyond salvaging, it's already a pretty tight crop. I don't know how to do tone mapping (or, for that matter, precisely what that is... I'll go looking for a tutorial one of these days). I have GIMP, and I know how to do only the most simple, simple edits. The slightly weird look is probably from the "unsharp mask" filter I ran over it, and pushing the contrast up a bit too high.

But enough about that picture. Here's one that I think is better. Too much sharpening?

Snow Bunting Juvenile for critique by Execudork, on Flickr
Plectrophenax nivalis
There were at least 2 families of Snow Buntings with nests within a few metres of my tent. The males were especially prone to perching on top of my tent and chirping their drat heads off at each other, at 2:00 am (24 hour sunlight means they Never. Shut. UP.). Once the chicks were at the fluttering-around-semi-effectively stage, the parents got even worse, probably because they were pissed off and stressed out from the constant chirping demands of their offspring, who followed them around (clumsily) across the tundra.

Cute, though.

Tone mapping is the processing that makes HDR's go from bad to terrible. Avoid it and your photos will be much better, IMHO. I think the Snow Bunting picture is much better, although I would have to say it is oversharpened a bit. The bird itself isn't terrible oversharpened, but I think the background is really bearing the brunt of it. If GIMP has a way to use masks to mask out areas I'd mask out everything behind the bird and only sharpen the bird itself.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This is the first time I've ever photographed a bird. This (Red-tailed?) hawk killed a squirrel behind my apartment building. It was too heavy to carry, but it didn't want to leave it. I ran inside, grabbed my camera, and went prone nearby. The hawk, trying to figure out if it could carry the squirrel, kept hopping towards me, even though I was upwind. It was also like 20 degrees outside.

Camera Nikon D7000
Lens 55-200mm VR kit lens
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 200 mm
ISO Speed 800

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Cardinal

Red Tailed Hawk. He took off from the post when I took this and while it makes for a great shot he was just barely out of the side of the frame. In half a day driving through Kansas I probably saw 200 of these.

Female Anna's Hummingbird. This species apparently winters in Washington. The female just hung out in my parents backyard most of the day and let me get within 10ft or so.

Evening Grosbeaks, who also let me get amazingly close.