Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I also had to ride 75% of the time with the face shield up. I really need to do something to keep my face shield from fogging up...or just put the bike away for the season. :cry:

I might be accused for plugging Fog Tech a bit too much, but it does work.

http://www.motosolutions.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Didn't I read in some thread here that that stuff will ruin the plastic, since it's meant to be applied to glass?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SlightlyMadman posted:

Didn't I read in some thread here that that stuff will ruin the plastic, since it's meant to be applied to glass?

The site pretty clearly shows goggles of various kinds, and even a face shield on a helmet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Haha. My brother-in-law came to pick up his FZR that has been sitting in my garage for a few weeks. His cheap alarm flattened the battery while it was sitting.

After much loving around, we used a combination of jumper cables from my BMW and a battery charger set at 10 amps and got the stupid thing to crank. After five tries, waiting between tries to let the battery charge a bit, it blew out two huge fireballs from the pipes and started. Then he stalled it a block away by putting down the kickstand to adjust his riding pants. :suicide:

I informed him that he was to not turn off the bike or stop on the way home even if his crotch was bleeding.

A few things about this:

- Getting rid of kick starters from modern bikes seems like progress until your battery is flat
- While I can disable the headlight on my old bike (to remove the battery drain) in under a minute we'd basically have to take apart the front of the bike to do it on the FZR
- Two foot flames shooting out of a FZR is worth seeing even if your ears are still ringing hours later

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

I really need to do something to keep my face shield from fogging up...or just put the bike away for the season. :cry:

Depending on what brand your helmet is, pinlock might be available. All my helmets have had pinlock and I've never had any problem with fogging, from 37 to 100 degrees F, rain or sunshine.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

8ender posted:

- While I can disable the headlight on my old bike (to remove the battery drain) in under a minute we'd basically have to take apart the front of the bike to do it on the FZR

My Kawasaki headlight doesn't come on until the bike is started and running :cool:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ola posted:

I suppose the article's spelling of the film, "Harley-Davidson and the Marlborough man", reflects how it was marketed throughout the Empire. They probably thought it was about the history of the Churchills.

Nah, that was Royal Enfield and the Romeo y Julieta Man.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Depending on what brand your helmet is, pinlock might be available. All my helmets have had pinlock and I've never had any problem with fogging, from 37 to 100 degrees F, rain or sunshine.

What's a pinlock?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

What's a pinlock?

Try Zooke. That stuff is the sheeyat.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crayvex posted:

I rode into work today in 36 degree weather. I had my Joe Rocket blaster leather pants that have some stretchy materials here and there to make them easier to move around in. I can tell you EXACTLY where those panels are. WHY OH WHY ARE THEY LOCATED IN THE CROTCH?!! :pwn:

I also had to ride 75% of the time with the face shield up. I really need to do something to keep my face shield from fogging up...or just put the bike away for the season. :cry:

Why not just leave it cracked like 1mm? Usually works for me.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

8ender posted:

Do you mean unplug the bulbs? Its kind of a pain in the rear end to get to them on an FZR, but its not too hard unless you have fat hands.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Webbikeworld apparently has reviews for pinlock, fogtech, and cat crap:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/fogtech/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet-visor-anti-fog/

Out of the three, cat crap actually sounds the best. I'd worry about smudging the film from fogtech and having to reapply it constantly (I like to use my helmet as a handbag when I go shopping and such, so I'm always tossing stuff inside it that might come in contact with the inside of the face shield). The pinlock sounds cool, but the lines would bother me and since it doesn't cover the whole shield you still lose peripheral visibility.

Cat Crap sounds perfect though, since it's easy to apply and doesn't leave a film that you have to be careful not to smudge. Has anyone tried it?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I use Cat Crap and it works well. You have to be pretty patient while buffing it in or you'll end up with halos and stuff at night, but if you take the time to apply it correctly you don't notice its presence. Stops all fogging for a couple days to a couple weeks in my experience.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Crayvex posted:

What's a pinlock?

SlightlyMadmans' links describe it in detail. To quote from the first link, something that I had no idea about, and why I wasn't more specific;

quote:

The Pinlock name has been known in Europe for some time, but most motorcycle owners in the U.S.A. are not familiar with this product.

All I can add is that I've never been bothered by the lines, and the loss of peripheral vision isn't really noticeable until the part not covered by the pinlock fogs up completely. Once the pinlock is there, it's also completely maintenance free.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

At 36 degrees the drat thing was fogged both open and closed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

Depends on the helmet, if I do this on my RF1100 then it blinds me because the air goes directly into my eyes.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I use Cat Crap and it works well. You have to be pretty patient while buffing it in or you'll end up with halos and stuff at night, but if you take the time to apply it correctly you don't notice its presence. Stops all fogging for a couple days to a couple weeks in my experience.

I must be a heavy mouthbreather since Cat Crap doesn't work for poo poo for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

quote:

(CNN) -- Five people were killed and six others seriously injured when a car struck a group of 12 motorcycles on a California desert highway Saturday.
"I was one of the first emergency officials on the scene. Of my 23 years on the department, it was the most devastating scene I've been to, and I've seen a lot of fatal accidents," said Deeann Goudie, a spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol.
Police are searching for another car, which left the scene of the afternoon accident.
Goudie said they got a 911 call from one of the motorcyclists.
The motorcycles were on a highway in El Centro, Imperial County, just east of San Diego, when a gold Honda Civic tried to pass them, police said.
Goudie said the Honda passed the motorcycles, but a Dodge Avenger swerving to avoid hitting the Honda struck the motorcycles head on.
Four motorcyclists and a passenger in the Avenger died on the scene. Five of the six people injured were in serious condition, Goudie said.
"The gold Honda Civic left the scene without stopping and police want to talk with that driver," Goudie said. "We're looking for a 1995 to 2000 model-year gold Honda Civic."
The bikers are part of the Saddle Tramps motorcycle group in Lakeside, California. They were taking a casual ride on their Harley-Davidsons to celebrate the group's 10th anniversary.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the California Highway Patrol.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/14/california.motorcyle.accident/index.html?hpt=T1

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Saw that on another site I frequent. Makes me loving sick that the rear end in a top hat just ran away.

If I were in that group I would give anything to find that guy first and give him the real justice he deserves before the cops grab him up. He likely won't face that hard of a charge.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Outlaw Motorcycle Club seeks revenge! Sounds like and episode of Law and Order. Or a really awesome grindhouse flick.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Desert highway makes me think that:

A) there's lots of visibility with long straight roads and

B) there's lots of run-off on either side of the road

which makes me wonder why the Civic decided to try a risky pass and why the Avenger didn't just swerve to the right rather than into a group of incoming loving motorcycles.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Desert highway makes me think that:

A) there's lots of visibility with long straight roads and

B) there's lots of run-off on either side of the road

which makes me wonder why the Civic decided to try a risky pass and why the Avenger didn't just swerve to the right rather than into a group of incoming loving motorcycles.

If its anything like the desert roads further north, there's only a half lane or so of shoulder (if that), and then a nice ditch to ruin your day off the side of the road. Sounds like the Avenger didn't have much in the way of good choices for maneuvers. That really sucks all around.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

LEATHER CHAPS WITH CRYING EAGLES? WHERE DO I GET ME SOME?

That's awesome. I'm here to help.

You think that's cool, I've got a pair of specially-bred crying eagles wearing leather chaps. Only 2 million space bucks to you.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Most of my hard work for the year is done and I am almost finished up with my new shop.

Is it wrong that I want to pack a bag or two and hop on my Buell and ride south until it gets warm again?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

sirbeefalot posted:

If its anything like the desert roads further north, there's only a half lane or so of shoulder (if that), and then a nice ditch to ruin your day off the side of the road. Sounds like the Avenger didn't have much in the way of good choices for maneuvers. That really sucks all around.

And further south, in the deep desert, there are other concerns.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

sirbeefalot posted:

They have video of the accident scene in that CNN link. There's easily 1.5-2 car widths of freakin hard shoulder and some gravel on the outside of that. The Avenger driver made a seriously bad decision. They had plenty of room to go right :(

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Sounds like he made a bad call, but some people just aren't good at quick decisions, and he wasn't the one that caused the situation in the first place. If the other vehicle was in the process of trying to pass the bikes, it's also possible that he was obscuring the driver's view of them, and he may not have realized what he was swerving into.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
(from my post in the track day thread last month)

-Inu- posted:

I'm definitely done riding on the street though.

...or not.

Also got pulled over during that ride on Sunday. Was on my way back up the mountain but hadn't hit the twistier sections yet so I was taking it fairly easy. Came out of a left hander and the first thing I saw was a car followed by a Georgia State Patrol car behind it in the oncoming lane. Figured ah, what the hell, why would he turn around, I wasn't booking it or anything. Mile or so later I see a car coming up behind me, no lights on. Follows me for a few hundred feet and blips his lights on then back off.

I pull over and he asked if I knew what the speed limit was around here. He muttered that he clocked me at 60 (like, he really, really, muttered it) and said he would give me a warning, asked for my license and walked to the car. Came back and said he just gave me a warning and told me to ride safe. That's literally all that he said.

I don't even know why he pulled me over. He obviously didn't clock me doing anything when he was driving in the opposite lane. 60 in a 45? You bet your rear end he would have given me a fat ticket if he had any evidence. Seems like a lot of effort to turn around and run me down to give a half-assed warning. I guess he saw me pull my knee up coming out of the turn and figured "fast sportbike rider!", so maybe he legitimately was trying to keep the roads safer.

I dunno, anyone else have any weird stories about getting pulled over?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

needknees posted:

They have video of the accident scene in that CNN link. There's easily 1.5-2 car widths of freakin hard shoulder and some gravel on the outside of that. The Avenger driver made a seriously bad decision. They had plenty of room to go right :(

That is a pretty big hard shoulder, I didn't watch the video before. lovely decisions all around. That car got loving destroyed, yikes.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I imagine Mexico.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

-Inu- posted:

I've gotten pulled over a couple times going too fast. Every time, I am fully suited up (which is an especially big deal in Connecticut, where everybody rides a Harley or CBR600 with shorts on). Cop notices my full gear, and the fact that I actually pulled over for him, and lets me off with a verbal warning. I even had one cop tell me that I'm the first motorcyclist to ever actually pull over for him instead of try to get away. The times I've been pulled over, I was doing between 15 over to 40 (!) over plus doing a wheelie on a backroad. Of course, that was a big group ride where there were six other motards also doing wheelies, and we were on a deserted backroad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If you idle without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

-Inu- posted:

I got pulled over by two cops at once on my 1966 two stroke Yahama for it being too loud. The cops were just livid about how loud my bike was. I explained that it was from the 60's and had the original pipes on it, it was just a loud bike. They then asked me if it was possible to "put a muffler on it" and I pointed at the pipes and explained that those were the mufflers and I wouldn't be able to find any newer pipes that would fit on a 1960's motorcycle.

Then we got into a debate about why I didn't have turn signals where I had to explain how the bike was old enough to be grandfathered in and only required a headlight and working horn. Eventually they got completely frustrated, checked my insurance, told me to "keep it down" and drove away.

I'll admit the bike is epically loud for a little 250. The factory pipes are basically hollow metal tubes and the noise can easily humble an entire group of loud pipes Harley riders.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

If you idle without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

That means Harleys are safe?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Harleys are in rhythm, it's just 3/4 time. "Potato potato potato potato"

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

ARG! I got a $100 ticket for parking on the sidewalk in San Francisco, so much for effort on parking between a lamppost and the curb to keep the path clear to pedestrians, and out of the way of people getting out of cars. gently caress the SFMTA, cops roll by all the time and don't give a poo poo.

Now I'm chained up by the wheel only on the street and need to move it Tuesdays and Thursdays due to street cleaning.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MotoMind posted:

ARG! I got a $100 ticket for parking on the sidewalk in San Francisco, so much for effort on parking between a lamppost and the curb to keep the path clear to pedestrians, and out of the way of people getting out of cars. gently caress the SFMTA, cops roll by all the time and don't give a poo poo.

Now I'm chained up by the wheel only on the street and need to move it Tuesdays and Thursdays due to street cleaning.

Man I got a $50 ticket in San Fransisco for street sweeping. We found motorcycle parking and parked at night. There was a tiny sign behind a tree about street sweeping. Good thing they didn't put it on the little motorcycle payment kiosk. Thankfully the hours were there. :wtf:

My friend without a plate didn't get one. Just me and another friend. And I'm almost positive the people that obviously lived in the area didn't move their bike and didn't get a ticket.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Christoff posted:

Man I got a $50 ticket in San Fransisco for street sweeping. We found motorcycle parking and parked at night. There was a tiny sign behind a tree about street sweeping. Good thing they didn't put it on the little motorcycle payment kiosk. Thankfully the hours were there. :wtf:

My friend without a plate didn't get one. Just me and another friend. And I'm almost positive the people that obviously lived in the area didn't move their bike and didn't get a ticket.

I've seen that too. Inexplicably, some stupid Vespa just down the street is parked against a building and doesn't seem to get ticketed. And yet writing my local address on my fairings didn't help at all. I am probably going to have to buy a 10 gallon bucket or faux planter and some cement to make a proper anchor; I don't feel comfortable unless the chain goes through my frame and I've got something very heavy on the other end.

quote:

Officials with the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, which oversees parking enforcement and the Muni system, said they will try to catch up on the citation-giving so the department — which has raised fares and altered transit service recently to save money — will not end the year with a deficit.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/SFMTA-goes-on-meter-warpath-106746689.html#ixzz15QqF9jtt

Story dated 11/5. Fuckers!

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 16, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Cobra sticker finally showed up but I don't think I'm going to get a chance to install it or ride again this season. Michigan is getting cold fast.

Pic from the last ride into work for the season. (Marv Hushman's bike is behind mine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

-Inu- posted:

This week I got pulled over for blasting between two trucks on a two lane road on my Husky. They were doing around 45, I was at maybe 60 or so. I don't usually do that kind of stuff, but the one I was behind started brake checking me, so I got pissed and buzzed the poo poo out of him.

The cop was off the side of the road and had a clear view of the whole thing. I explained what happened and to my complete and udder amazement he let me off with a no point, $50 ticket and told me to be more careful. He said "this is a really big break and you're probably never going to get anything like this ever again." It could have easily been 5 points or even 10 if he threw the book at me with multiple tickets. I need to work on not raging behind the handlebars, it's a really dumb thing to do.