Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Strangers With Candy Seasons 1-3
Rocko's Modern Life Season 1 (get on the other seasons, dammit :argh: )
Mortal Kombat

This thread will be fun to follow since I'm always up for an instant movie or TV show.

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I would like to highly recommend The Man From Earth, a film I probably never would have heard of and might not have checked out even if I had if not for Netflix Instant. It's an amazingly well done low budget film with a simple sci-fi premise and I've watched it probably 5 times already. Essentially the whole movie is a conversation amongst a friendly circle of college professors over the course of one evening. One of them reveals to the group the he is several thousand years old, and the film is the ensuing conversation as he tells his story, they ask questions, and consider whether he's joking, insane, or telling the truth. The ideas are interesting, and the acting is fairly impressive for such a small film. The cast is fairly notable, with actors whose names you might not know but you've probably seen before: Tony Todd (Candyman, Chuck) Richard Riehle (Office Space, Grounded for Life) John Billingsley (True Blood, St: Enterprise) William Katt (Carrie, Greatest American Hero) and Ellen Crawford (E.R.). The screenplay was written by Jerome Boxby, a sci-fi author who used to work on the original Star Trek and Twilight Zone series and the story on which Fantastic Voyage was based. He completed the script while on his deathbed, and his son worked ten years to get it made.

Princess Gabriella
Aug 3, 2010
I haven't actually gone through the whole thread, so I'm sorry if some of these have been mentioned but:

MOVIES
Amelie
Donnie Darko
The Fall - probably one of my all time favorite movies. The visuals are absolutely stunning. And I think it streams in HD, so...
Scorched - I'm not sure how mainstream this one is. It has pretty well known actors (Woody Harrelson, John Cleese, Rachael Leigh Cook, etc.) and is bitingly funny. It's worth a watch for a quick laugh.
Do The Right Thing
Love Me If You Dare
Sunshine Cleaning
Let the Right One In
Singles

TV
Better Off Ted - One of the funniest television shows to date. Tragically cut short after two seasons
Pushing Daisies - Another show that was cut after only two seasons. Charmingly brilliant in writing and visuals.
Dead Like Me - Another Bryan Fuller show (Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls were also his)
Merlin
Skins
Arrested Development
Eureka
Archer
Psych

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Has anyone had the experience where Instant Watching hangs up in the preliminary screens? I'm getting error N8005 which happens after the "determines quality" and "buffering" are complete, but during "acquiring license". This happened once before but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the solution.

Tried rebooting computer and power cycling router. Other network functions (web browsing etc.) seem to work okay.

Edit: And I also logged out of and back into the Netflix site.

Double Edit: Calling their help number tells me they have greater than normal call volume, try again later, am I to understand it that their system is down and it's not just me? They don't seem to have a real dedicated forum so it's hard to tell otherwise.

Zwabu has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Nov 10, 2010

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Zwabu posted:

Double Edit: Calling their help number tells me they have greater than normal call volume, try again later, am I to understand it that their system is down and it's not just me? They don't seem to have a real dedicated forum so it's hard to tell otherwise.

I kept getting an error earlier today as well, although it appears to be working now.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And Wristcutters: A Love Story was a surprisingly wonderful movie that you'll probably enjoy if you liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Stranger Than Fiction, or Adaptation.

I saw Wristcutters a few years ago when it came out and thought it was hilarious. I loved the Ukrainian guy and Tom Waits as an angel.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

safety dan posted:

I kept getting an error earlier today as well, although it appears to be working now.

Yeah it's back working for me now too, not sure what the issue was.

One of the main things I'm using Netflix Instant Watch for is working my way through the X-Files, a show that I kind of grew up with. I've seen a lot of the episodes, including many of the great memorable ones, but there were so many seasons there are a ton of episodes I never saw.

I was never really interested in the "myth arc" of the show and much preferred the one-off standalone stories, but going through the series is forcing me to acquaint myself with this other aspect of the show.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I recently watched the movie "Nobody Knows," a Japanese film based on an actual story from the 80s about children abandoned in an apartment. Beautifully done, the lead actor won a best actor at Cannes I think, and deserved it. Be prepared to cry.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
Definitely want to nth World's Greatest Dad if you like intensely dark comedies, but it really was a surprisingly good film

If you're into documentary or horror, I'd recommend S&Man, which I'd never heard of but found it to be unique, intriguing and very well done without being over the top. Basically a documentary filmmaker gets money to make a movie about a peeping tom from his childhood who got let off the hook. He wants to explore voyeurism and horror (as he loves horror movies) so he goes to a bunch of underground horror film places. The peeping tom won't cooperate so he shifts gears to the horror/voyeurism front, interviewing some of the people in the trade as well as experts on the subjects. Very creepy too, and I'm don't tend to be creeped out easily.

Tumwater Breakdown
Apr 15, 2010

Sad Is The Lonely
Encounters from the end of the world, is a documentary that takes place entirely in Antarctica directed by Werner Herzog. it is surreal and crazy at points like all Herzog documentaries. really gorgeously shot though. the first thing he asks a penguin researcher is if there are gay penguins.

also Repoman is on instant cue. this movie is a classic, not to be confused with awful Repomen. Harry Dean Stanton and Emilio Estevez are awesome together and the movie deserves multiple viewings because of all the crazy poo poo that happens.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Oh jesus god, The Human Centipede: First Sequence is on Instant.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

poonchasta posted:

Oh jesus god, The Human Centipede: First Sequence is on Instant.

The craziest thing about that movie for me was the fact that right after I watched it for the first time, I watched the episode of Lexx that guest starred the guy who played the doctor. I thought he was invading my mind.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The Complete Metropolis is on there now.

Is this the version that everyone has been jizzing over?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

poonchasta posted:

Is this the version that everyone has been jizzing over?

Hell yeah it is!

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Tendai posted:

I recently watched the movie "Nobody Knows," a Japanese film based on an actual story from the 80s about children abandoned in an apartment. Beautifully done, the lead actor won a best actor at Cannes I think, and deserved it. Be prepared to cry.

This is the hugest bummer of a movie that I have ever seen in my life.

Also just watched the '78 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it rules pretty hard.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Weird went up on instant. Amazing adventure movie. It's all subtitled, but so great and just a fun movie.

Also, The River Wild which isn't really that good, but I saw so much as a child that I love it. haha.

Emu on Acid
Oct 27, 2005

Let's build a snowman!
Mr. Frost is a pretty good thriller with Jeff Goldblum being extremely creepy.

The Piano Teacher is a twisted and perverse French sexual drama that is a bit of an ordeal to watch.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The entire series of Lois and Clark: the New Adventures of Superman is up now. You will be hard-pressed to find a more cheesy and awesome 90s show that doesn't take place in Bayside High.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to watching Troll 2 last night. Simply amazing. Now all they need is BestWorst Movie on instant and my life will be complete.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm going to bump this to add "Red Cliff"

Awesome, awesome, awesome Chinese battle movie.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Princess Gabriella posted:

I haven't actually gone through the whole thread, so I'm sorry if some of these have been mentioned but:

MOVIES
Amelie
Donnie Darko
The Fall - probably one of my all time favorite movies. The visuals are absolutely stunning. And I think it streams in HD, so...
Scorched - I'm not sure how mainstream this one is. It has pretty well known actors (Woody Harrelson, John Cleese, Rachael Leigh Cook, etc.) and is bitingly funny. It's worth a watch for a quick laugh.
Do The Right Thing
Love Me If You Dare
Sunshine Cleaning
Let the Right One In
Singles

TV
Better Off Ted - One of the funniest television shows to date. Tragically cut short after two seasons
Pushing Daisies - Another show that was cut after only two seasons. Charmingly brilliant in writing and visuals.
Dead Like Me - Another Bryan Fuller show (Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls were also his)
Merlin
Skins
Arrested Development
Eureka
Archer
Psych

Wanted to thank you for recommending The Fall. I'd never heard of it but decided to check it out and it blew me away. Definitely one of my favorite films now.

As for content, I picked up the movie Restrepo from the awesome documentary thread. It follows a group of soldiers for a year in one of the most dangerous valleys of Afghanistan. There's no pro- or anti- war agenda and nothing superficial tacked on to it, it's just a raw look at the good and bad of what soldiers go through and how they live. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry. Just all-around an awesome documentary that shows how detached these guys are from the world around them as they're thrown head-first in to it all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm going to bump this to add "Red Cliff"

Awesome, awesome, awesome Chinese battle movie.

drat, only the theatrical version :(

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Hey, this thread got bumped up, sweet.

I just recently stumbled upon a new show while searching the "just released on instant" page: Mushi-Shi.

It's hard to describe the show, but it's a bit like a softer x-files, in a way. Each episode is self-contained except for the main character (a man calling himself Ginkgo) who researches all the weird beings, known as Mushi, that affect the people he meets. Here's a few examples (without spoiling too much about any of them):

- A girl's eyes become so sensitive to light that she has to remain blindfolded at all times. The people around her think it might be infectious, so they never want to be near her, but she tells her only friend that she thinks it's because she closed her 'second eyelids'.

- A boy falls into a deep coma every winter and wakes with the spring. Ginkgo doesn't think it's a huge matter, but after he visits, the boy falls into the coma again - and stays that way for more than a year.

- A whole town is affected by a spread of rust, except it grows not just on metal but on wood, stone - even flesh.

The world feels much like a Miyazaki setting; it's somewhat of a period piece, set in what I assume would be 1800s-ish Japan (although I can't say for sure, since nobody says anything about the date). The art and music are both utterly gorgeous, and the whole show is done in a beautiful style, with lots of nature and watercolor-type art. The best part is that the english version of the show was done very well, without changing the music or sections without dialogue.

Also, if you're wary about the whole anime thing: my mother finds most anime trite and ugly, but she watched the whole show with me after seeing the first few episodes.

Just to give an idea of what it's like, here's something I'm about 50% sure is a screenshot from the show (every episode is set in places like this):

And here's one of the musical themes used throughout the show.

tl;dr: If any of the concept sounds interesting to you, watch the first two episodes. They set the stage very well, and the second episode is really the first good hook.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Can't remember if it's been mentioned since this thread hasn't been super active for a while, but holy poo poo Ip Man. You like guys getting punched? You like martial arts? Get on this biz.

Also the actual Ip Man taught Bruce Lee, and the guy in the movie was taught by Bruce Lee. Whoa.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
It's already been mentioned but seasons 1-4 of Psych are on and great.

I had no idea what it was about other than a mystery dramedy type thing, and that didn't sound too appealing, but it's really 80% comedy, 20% immature, mystery solving smartass and really entertaining.

So if that sounds good to you give it a shot. I just went through season 1 in about a week.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ninja Toast! posted:

It's already been mentioned but seasons 1-4 of Psych are on and great.

I had no idea what it was about other than a mystery dramedy type thing, and that didn't sound too appealing, but it's really 80% comedy, 20% immature, mystery solving smartass and really entertaining.

So if that sounds good to you give it a shot. I just went through season 1 in about a week.

Monk is on there too, which is also awesome. They remind of old Encyclopedia Brown books where you try and find the one obvious thing that solves the case before the characters do.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Jibo posted:

Monk is on there too, which is also awesome. They remind of old Encyclopedia Brown books where you try and find the one obvious thing that solves the case before the characters do.

In season seven, Mr. Monk On Wheels they actually make reference to their similarity to Encyclopedia Brown in a hilarious way. In season six, Mr. Monk and His Biggest Fan, they also do a mini breaking of the fourth wall by having a character reference the names of multiple episodes. For a light-hearted dramady, that show is fantastic.

This probably doesn't apply to 99% of goons, but if you like reality show drama, season one of Rock of Love and Flavor of Love are up right now.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Restrepo - Awesome documentary following a company of Army (rangers?) through a year of their service in the Korengol valley in Afghanistan. Pretty surreal and visceral. Definitely something you should watch if the experience of an infantryman in Afghanistan is of any interest to you.
Shutter Island
Mean Streets
Pandorum
The Shining
Kelly's Heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ Need I say more? AWESOME movie
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Aliens
The Crazies
Zombieland
In the Line of Fire - Clint Eastwood = CIA Agent. John Malkovich = Psycho. Awesome combination. Must see

Rescue Me- AMAZING TV show. For some reason I had never seen an episode of this show, but there are 6 seasons of this on Netflix Instant. This show is amazingly entertaining in an often outlandishly hilarious, yet sometimes disturbingly morose and sad way. I don't watch TV often, but this may be one of the best I have ever seen.
River Monsters- Like fishing? This guy catches some amazing and mindboggling fish out of freshwater areas around the world. 11 foot stingray in Thailand? No problem. Gargantuan Bull Sharks in South Africa? Check. Alligator Gar in the American South? Roger. Very interesting to see some of the freakish fish that he pulls out of what seem to be fairly ordinary rivers.
Firefly

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

SKEET SKEET posted:

River Monsters- Like fishing? This guy catches some amazing and mindboggling fish out of freshwater areas around the world. 11 foot stingray in Thailand? No problem. Gargantuan Bull Sharks in South Africa? Check. Alligator Gar in the American South? Roger. Very interesting to see some of the freakish fish that he pulls out of what seem to be fairly ordinary rivers.

Even if you think fishing is boring you should try this. I couldn't believe some of the things that are out there in this world.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
I don't think it's been mentioned but I recommend Brick. It's basically a film noir set in a modern day high school. It starts off very quickly with little back story given and the characters often use hardboiled terms that can take awhile to understand but I still enjoyed it.

Documentaries:
After Innocence
Keep the River on Your Right
The Union: Business Behind Getting High
I Am Comic
The Wild and Wonderful Whites
Overnight
Darkon
Exit Through the Gift Shop
I Think We're Alone Now
We Live in Public
Monster Camp
Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa
Bigger, Stronger, Faster
Big Rig
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Snuff
Super High Me

Penis envy has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jan 29, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SKEET SKEET posted:

Restrepo - Awesome documentary following a company of Army (rangers?) through a year of their service in the Korengol valley in Afghanistan. Pretty surreal and visceral. Definitely something you should watch if the experience of an infantryman in Afghanistan is of any interest to you.

This movie was a awesome watch, glad someone posted it or else I would of skipped over it entirely.

I recommend Black Dynamite. Great parody of blaxplotation films with awesome writing.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
They added Smokey and the Bandit parts 1 and 2 a few weeks ago. Haven't watched the second one, but the first one is always brilliant. Also, Sally Field used to be amazingly hot.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Princess Gabriella posted:

I cannot recommend this enough. This movie is spectacularly gorgeous.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I just watched Enter the Void, and all I have to say is :psyboom:

It's nearly impossible to describe without cheapening it, I don't think I should try. I will say that it takes a little patience and a willingness to let a film viewing experience really enter your mind to watch it. The best comparison I guess I could make is that it's not unlike the first time you watch 2001: A Space Odyssey.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Bumping this thread to say that the "this american life" show that was on showtime for two seasons is on there. It's pretty good.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well while the thread is here, I figure I'll notify you all that all seven seasons of Trailer Park Boys are up. Easily the best non-music, non-beer export from Canada.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I've never seen a single episode of Scrubs in my life. So when I saw it on Netflix Instant, I finally gave it a shot. God drat that show is great. Funny and even sometimes heart-wrenching, it certainly deserves the credibility it received.

Also just finished Battlestar: Gallactica. That show really left me underwhelmed and disappointed. :( It was pretty good up until the Pegasus story arc. Maybe Sci-Fi's just aren't for me.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Tailwhoop posted:

I've never seen a single episode of Scrubs in my life. So when I saw it on Netflix Instant, I finally gave it a shot. God drat that show is great. Funny and even sometimes heart-wrenching, it certainly deserves the credibility it received.

Also just finished Battlestar: Gallactica. That show really left me underwhelmed and disappointed. :( It was pretty good up until the Pegasus story arc. Maybe Sci-Fi's just aren't for me.

Prepare to experience the same thing when you get further into Scrubs.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Tailwhoop posted:

Really? Pegasus is considered one of the high points if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the last episode is a bit kooky but I'm not sure what would have been satisfying. Even if it was written off the cuff and not planned, the season 3 finale is pretty cool, and the storyarc towards the end of Season 4 with Gaeta is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I gave up on Battlestar Galactica. 9 episodes in and I just can't really summon up the will to watch any further.

I just may not be meant for sci-fi serials.

• Locked thread