Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the students deserve plenty of praise for that stunt. Journalism is constantly and unavoidably moving away from boring truth towards interesting lies, simply because the slippery slope of editing the truth starts out so shallow.

So it needs constant subversion and critique to remain closer to the boring truth than to the interesting lies. Great example in PushingKingston's link. I don't know if I agree that such post processing should disqualify one from a photo competition, but I definitely applaud it. "Awww it's so personal and emotional when it's grainy black and white" gently caress that, it's just a pretty wrapping. If a news anchor used the same pathos, they would fill the studio with candles and play Lux Aeterna while covering the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PushingKingston posted:

Here's a story about how one little digital alteration caused a set of photos to be disqualifed at this years World Press Photo. They're pretty serious about these sorts of changes. Even require entries to include the original RAW files: http://www.petapixel.com/2010/03/03/world-press-photo-disqualifies-winner/

But they didn't have any problem with the fake grain being applied? That surprises me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I just watched City of God. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's about a kid who grows up in a slum of Rio de Janeiro and wants to become a photographer instead of a hoodlum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

I just watched City of God. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's about a kid who grows up in a slum of Rio de Janeiro and wants to become a photographer instead of a hoodlum.

And he gets to hook up with a journalist because she feels guilty for stealing his photos! I probably should watch it again and see what kind of gear he used.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

caberham posted:

And he gets to hook up with a journalist because she feels guilty for stealing his photos! I probably should watch it again and see what kind of gear he used.

Nikon F or F2 with the Photomic finder.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

spog posted:

But they didn't have any problem with the fake grain being applied? That surprises me.

Looks like they didn't give a crap until there was direct content manipulation.

You could have tone mapped and filtered the poo poo out of it, but as soon as you photoshop a hair out of place, they'll deny the entry.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyberbob posted:

Looks like they didn't give a crap until there was direct content manipulation.

You could have tone mapped and filtered the poo poo out of it, but as soon as you photoshop a hair out of place, they'll deny the entry.

I wonder what their policy is on stuff like perspective correction?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm a member of a few groups on meetup.com and I saw someone (not a group member) posted this to one of the groups:

quote:

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents!

I am organizing a VIP event on Sunday for the Men's Divorce Law Firm
and I am in a jam and need help and would be forever grateful.

The details are all listed below but the gist is I need a TF
photographer for THIS Sunday, November 7th. I only need: A group shot
of the models outside of the VIP Man Tent; single shots of the ladies;
a few candid shots. You could stay as long as you like but I think
this could be whipped out in as little as an hour.

It is for the Winter Park Concours d'Elegance and it is a phenomenal,
elite event that showcases some of the most exotic and classic cars in
the nation. Major exposure, I have gorgeous models lined up, a
fantastic MUA but my photographer had to cancel last minute. I don't
have extra money in the budget to offer compensation other than:
Intense exposure with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Merchant Circle,
Red Carpet Events, and a hotlink to your portfolio/site on my blog.
Also, the models are of the finest caliber and the event itself would
make for a wonderful day for a photographer with the classic cars and
spectacle of Park Avenue being closed down and filled with thousands
of viewers.

Thanks again! :)

Natalie Anne Ramirez
natramirez7@gmail.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/NatalieAnneRamirez
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1210648542

HERE ARE THE TECHNICAL DETAILS AND PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP IF YOU COULD
HELP. I WOULD EVEN BE WILLING TO THROW IN A TF SHOOT WITH ME IF YOU
ARE INTERESTED IN A STYLE THAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO.

WHO: THE MEN'S DIVORCE LAW FIRM
WHAT: WINTER PARK CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE
WHERE: THE MEN'S DIVORCE LAW FIRM VIP TENT (corner of Park Ave where
Panera Bread is)
COMPENSATION RATE: TF
WHEN: EVENT IS ON SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2010 FROM 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

*The Winter Park Concours d?Elegance has risen in attendance and
notoriety to become one of the most highly-regarded, judged exotic car
shows in the United States. Staged in a setting of true elegance, Old
Winter Park closes six blocks of Park Avenue to welcome over 120 of
the world?s most prestigious automobiles. The tents of event patrons
line the tree-shaded avenue showcasing products and services to a
walk-in audience of potential buyers. Nationally-recognized and ranked
automobile judges - many of whom are world-renowned experts in
specialty-marquee automobiles, spend the day carefully examining each
show car until a final group of handpicked award winners are
determined. https://www.winterparkconcours.com

Expectations:

As you know, we will be sponsoring a tent for VIP guests. We will have
a table in the VIP area set up with brochures and information on our
firm and services. We are also auctioning off a classic car/50?s
style pin-up themed painting. We will be selling raffle tickets and
will need your assistance in raising awareness about the Men?s Divorce
Law Firm booth and auction. The proceeds received will go to a local
charity. You will be mingling with the VIP guests and making sure
everyone visits the booth to purchase a raffle ticket and of course,
just being outgoing, professional and friendly.

*Other Sponsors: http://www.winterparkconcours.com/sponsors09.html

Please visit our firm page for more information on our services:
https://www.mensdivorcelaw.com or our facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/mensdivorcelaw.

I replied with:

quote:

I have a friend going through a divorce, can I send them to those lawyers for some free legal counseling? If he does good in court I'll be sure to tell everyone about how great the law firm is on myspace.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The great thing is, the previous one flaking out on her probably had a little to do with him/her not getting paid :)

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I thought of something for the first time today. My cameras shutter life expectancy is 3.6tb's worth of images. (avg 25mb * 150,000).

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Just booked my first paid gig that involves significant travel, woo. Spending three nights in Portland to shoot a cross country meet that will last two hours... why they're paying for so much extra time, I have no idea, but I'm sure as poo poo not complaining. Bring on the good beer!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I hereby resolve that in the future, if I'm going someplace dark enough that I think I'll need my 50/1.4, I'm just going to bring a loving flash and be done with it, social consequences be damned. I'm tired of thinking, every single time, "Hey I'll just shoot 1600, f/1.4 and 1/25, no big deal," then getting home and having to process the gently caress out of a bunch of noisy photos that are so underexposed and fuzzy all I can do is the most extreme and grainy b/w conversion. Every time I go out, it's like I forget all my past experiences and think my camera's magic.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Or you can buy a 5d2 and still regret not just bringing a god damned flash because you figured ISO 6400 would let you capture some action, and never learn from your mistakes.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

jackpot posted:

I hereby resolve that in the future, if I'm going someplace dark enough that I think I'll need my 50/1.4, I'm just going to bring a loving flash and be done with it, social consequences be damned. I'm tired of thinking, every single time, "Hey I'll just shoot 1600, f/1.4 and 1/25, no big deal," then getting home and having to process the gently caress out of a bunch of noisy photos that are so underexposed and fuzzy all I can do is the most extreme and grainy b/w conversion. Every time I go out, it's like I forget all my past experiences and think my camera's magic.

Or you can do what I do and lock it at iso 1600, 1.4, and 1/50th and just know things will be underexposed and will need boosting.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Hooray! I was asked to shoot a xmas party/boat cruise. They wanted me to shoot for about 6 hours and then join in the party, and they wanted to pay me $1200.

Then the company's CEO got a $9500 bill for overseas phone/data usage because he just had to play with his new iPad while travelling and has decided that they don't really need a photographer for their party :argh:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Man I really want to get into event photography, but I really don't want to shoot weddings.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seems like you could just do that then. Nobody says you have to do weddings :)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

Seems like you could just do that then. Nobody says you have to do weddings :)

Weddings are pretty much the only time the average person will ever pay out four figures on photography.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, I mean I certainly wouldn't do event photography without weddings for a LIVING, yeah :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

Weddings are pretty much the only time the average person will ever pay out four figures on photography.

Not true. Don't forget blackmail.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This lens and the desensitization to ugly naked people that being a Goon provides.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

quote:

Mamiya Pistol Camera

From 1954 this is a 35mm film half-frame camera. Designed as a police training device. Features a fixed focus 45mm f5.6 Sekor lens. Has a single shutter speed. Only 250 have been known to exist.
http://www.samys.com/index/page/product/product_id/34727/product_name/Pistol+Camera

I've heard of these and drat they sound cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I look forward to pistol grip cameras in the future when we have LCD glasses to give us a video feed of what the camera sees. Screw awkwardly holding a viewfinder up to my face!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

guidoanselmi posted:

http://www.samys.com/index/page/product/product_id/34727/product_name/Pistol+Camera

I've heard of these and drat they sound cool.

They look and sound like an excellent way to get shot in the US.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

hey dorkroom, does this sound like an nice opportunity to buy poo poo and turn for a profit?
http://slo.craigslist.org/ele/1994978155.html

quote:

Canon Power Winder A
Focal DA-500S Zoom Bounce Flash, W/Case
Toyo Optics 500mm F:8 Mirror Lens, W/CaseFocal MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5 f=80-200mm Lens

Canon Lens FD 24mm 1:2.8 W/Bag
3 Cables (various lengths)
Sekonic Auto-Lumi Model L-158 Exposure Meter
Mamiya M645 Roll Film Camera w/Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm f/2.8 lense
misc
Much more, Misc Manuals, Books, Filters, Camera bag with change pocket.
Canon Lens 28mm 1:28, W/Case
Tamron SP CF Macro Lens 35-80mm 1:28-3.8
Canon AE-1 Camera Body W/ Tamrac Camera Case
Soligor MC Auto Tele Converter 2X to fit Canon FD W/case
Rexatar F/3.8/ 35 105mm Zoom 67 (coated lense) W/case
Canon Lens FD 50mm 1:1.4
Canon A-1 Camera Body
Focal MC Auto Zoom 1:3.5 f=80-200mm Lens
Canon Lens FD 24mm 1:2.8 W/Bag
3 Cables (various lengths)
Sekonic Auto-Lumi Model L-158 Exposure Meter
Mamiya M645 Roll Film Camera w/Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm f/2.8 lense
misc
Much more, Misc Manuals, Books, Filters, Camera bag with change pocket.
The lot = $350.00

The extra copy/paste is theirs. I wonder how reselling all of it to keh would go? I figured the Mamiya 645 and 80 mm f/2.8 should do $300 at least if in decent condition?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

guidoanselmi posted:

hey dorkroom, does this sound like an nice opportunity to buy poo poo and turn for a profit?
http://slo.craigslist.org/ele/1994978155.html

The extra copy/paste is theirs. I wonder how reselling all of it to keh would go? I figured the Mamiya 645 and 80 mm f/2.8 should do $300 at least if in decent condition?

poo poo, if you get it, I call dibs on canon a1 and 50 f/1.4
edit: If you decide to sell that particular item

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 12, 2010

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I'd probably be interested in that FD 24mm myself, I'd jump on that deal if I were you.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My brother just sent me a picture message holding up a roll of Kodachrome 25 with the text "I should really clean my room more often." Between this and the roll of Technical Pan I found in a basket on the the kitchen table last month, I'm going to have to toss my whole house from top to bottom in search of discontinued film.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008

:nyd:

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
What precautions do I have to take when flying with the following:

Polaroid Land 350 and several packs of FP100c
Pentax K1000 with Arista B&W and a Kodacrome 64
Canon 40D & several lenses

I've flown with the Canon before with no problems - they let me take it as a 'handbag' in addition to my carry-on. Can the rest of that stuff go through the X-ray scanner? Is it pushing it to try to take all of that in one bag and still take another carry-on? Does the fact that I'm flying internationally make any difference?

Basically I have no idea where to find rules & regulations for flying with photo gear. :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Update: the guy from CL refuses to list the condition of the stuff, insisting I just come and buy it. It's also 140+ miles away and my friend close wouldn't know what to look for.

I think I'll pass unless someone's around Santa Barbara.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've flown with the Canon before with no problems - they let me take it as a 'handbag' in addition to my carry-on. Can the rest of that stuff go through the X-ray scanner? Is it pushing it to try to take all of that in one bag and still take another carry-on? Does the fact that I'm flying internationally make any difference?

Basically I have no idea where to find rules & regulations for flying with photo gear. :(

I've flown from the UK to Australia and back again with almost that exact film equipment and not had a single problem, and the film was fine going through all those carry-on X-ray scanners too (3 times on the way there and again coming back)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tshirt Ninja posted:

If the Arista is 400 and you plan on pushing it, I'd ask for a hand-check. The rest of the stuff can go through a carry-on scanner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm behind on my The Economist subscription, but I was reading the October 9 issue this morning and was struck by a comment. At the end of an article about a travelling exhibition of Eadweard Muybridge's work, they say

quote:

Something beautifully photographed, Muybridge's entire career reminds us, will be beautiful in the photograph whatever it was like in fact. That profound change in point of view altered the visual arts for ever.
To your mind, does this mean even something ugly (rotting meat, as an extreme example), if photographed well, can make a beautiful photograph? Do you agree with this statement?
Also, the part about "altered the visual arts" implies that prior to Muybridge's work, people believed only beautiful objects could make beautiful images. Could somebody with some Art History background please let me know if this is true?

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

To your mind, does this mean even something ugly (rotting meat, as an extreme example), if photographed well, can make a beautiful photograph? Do you agree with this statement?
Also, the part about "altered the visual arts" implies that prior to Muybridge's work, people believed only beautiful objects could make beautiful images. Could somebody with some Art History background please let me know if this is true?

Personally, I have trouble differentiating 'beauty' and 'interest'. Rotting meat could have lots of potential as an interesting subject, so I would deem it a candidate for a beautiful photograph, sure. I'm sure there's meaning to be found in rotting meat. I only take issue with uninteresting art. If it doesn't speak to someone, I can't really even call it art, since art in itself is about communication or definition of self. I guess art is inherently beautiful, because to be art, it must have some sort of meaning, and therein lies beauty.

e. Muybridge would have lived just before Picasso, who was one of the revolutionary post-Impressionist cubists. The Impressionists and most artists afterward challenged the ideals of the Academie, which was basically an elite art society in France, who would only accept classically 'beautiful' art. Picasso's cubist figures were radically ugly by contemporary standards. You're in about the right time period for art to lose the traditional meaning of 'beauty', though certainly earlier Impressionists like Degas were criticized for painting models with blue skin (he was told they looked like corpses), despite being traditionally beautiful women.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I took Art History)

Tshirt Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 13, 2010

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I really like Steve McCurry's work. Are there any photographers with a similar style I should check out?

I'm in a slump right now and need some inspiration to get me excited about shooting. It's cold out, there's no snow and the sun sets at 4:30 and I work until 5.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32V6ysLcZs

Photo mode video from leaked copy of GT5.

Edit: low-res screenshot:

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 14, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I really want an F6. Bad. I don't want to buy it used, I want it new, but I am nowhere even remotely close to being able to afford it. I am also petrified they are going to discontinue it soon. I think I'm going to have to get a second job or just a better first job... the problem is I don't really have any marketable skills anymore besides photography, but I can't pursue that because I don't have the balls. I wish I didn't like camera stuff so much. Why couldn't I have liked baseball or basketball? You just pick up the ball and play, you don't need $2,300 cameras. :bang:

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
It's like REAL LIFE :aaaaa: :monocle:

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32V6ysLcZs

Photo mode video from leaked copy of GT5.

Edit: low-res screenshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I need to share this.

Click here for the full 800x1066 image.

http://mandmgirlsphotography.webs.com/apps/photos/

ease fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 15, 2010