Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Noxville posted:

At least the TV capture is just a mediocre transfer, the BluRay is a mediocre transfer with a ridiculous amount of smoothing.

Not that I imagine many people caring how Scary Movie looks.

High Def Digest's review of Scary Movie will forever be the one I pull out first when somebody asks me why HDD sucks. 4.5/5 stars for picture quality. Unbelievable. It's almost as bad as AVS Forum scoring the Back to the Future trilogy an obscenely high 88/100 for picture quality - the same score they gave to the legendary transfer of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

HiDefDigest posted:

'Scary Movie' is eight years old now, but you’d never know it
Hahahaha, come on, that's not very old for a movie!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mustach posted:

Hahahaha, come on, that's not very old for a movie!

Yeah, I don't get how that matters. I thought the biggest issue with older movies was the quality of the original stock, and how badly the negatives have degraded over the years. I've seen plenty of 20+ year old BR transfers that looked amazing. Usually it's the clothing/direction/pacing of a movie that dates it more than anything.

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
I just bought Sunshine on Blu-ray and while it looks amazing, it has some kind of PIP special feature that for the life of me I can't figure out how to turn off. The menu option for it seems to be greyed out so I can't select it and it basically makes the movie unwatchable. Has anyone else had this problem with this Bluray or did I get a defective disc?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Sly Pistachio posted:

High Def Digest's review of Scary Movie will forever be the one I pull out first when somebody asks me why HDD sucks. 4.5/5 stars for picture quality. Unbelievable. It's almost as bad as AVS Forum scoring the Back to the Future trilogy an obscenely high 88/100 for picture quality - the same score they gave to the legendary transfer of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Ugh, I hate that guy's reviews (Ralph Potts.) Seems like almost everything gets a picture quality "grade" between 82 (even numbers only) 88. Completely useless. I think I don't really "get" the distinction between an 84 and an 86.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

identity49 posted:

I just bought Sunshine on Blu-ray and while it looks amazing, it has some kind of PIP special feature that for the life of me I can't figure out how to turn off. The menu option for it seems to be greyed out so I can't select it and it basically makes the movie unwatchable. Has anyone else had this problem with this Bluray or did I get a defective disc?

It's a firmware issue specific to that disc and certain Sony Blu-Ray players (including the PS3). There hasn't been a fix yet.

Universal catalog wave on Feb. 8:
Barb Wire
Flipper
The River Wild
Uncle Buck
Waist Deep

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Christmas Carol reviewed
Mutiny on the Bounty reviewed
Sherlock Jr. / Three Ages reviewed

I'm fascinated by the mocap PiP track on A Christmas Carol.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I watched SCOTT PILGRIM, and noticed none of the "dark image" issues people complained about. Looked great to me!

Also: any thoughts on PREDATORS?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

doctor thodt posted:

Uncle Buck

Gonna get my :dance: on for this

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

It's a firmware issue specific to that disc and certain Sony Blu-Ray players (including the PS3). There hasn't been a fix yet.

Weird. I have a PS3 and this disc and I haven't run into this. What does it look like when it is happening? Are all PS3s affected or just some?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just googled around and found out they actually broke this with the PS3 firmware update they just came out with(not that long ago) for 3D support. I haven't put Sunshine in since this update so I'm assuming I will have the issue too. Balls.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 10, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ApexAftermath posted:

Weird. I have a PS3 and this disc and I haven't run into this. What does it look like when it is happening? Are all PS3s affected or just some?

It's a result of a recent PS3 firmware. I too have played Sunshine on a PS3 in the past and it worked fine - but a bug was introduced sometime within the last 6 months or so that apparently screws with the PiP.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Gonna get my :dance: on for this

I was all excited when I read "Uncle Buck" on that list but then I remembered that I was reading a list of Universal catalog titles.

There was a really stellar HDTV capture of Uncle Buck a couple of years ago. I remember being surprised at how good it looked, because usually transfers for HDTV of older movies look pretty bad.

Now I'm worried that Universal is going to take that good HDTV transfer and gently caress it up with DNR and edge "enhancement" and we're going to have another Back to the Future situation where the low bitrate HDTV capture actually looks better than the drat Blu-ray. Universal seems to rape every catalog title they release.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

OGB posted:

Also: any thoughts on PREDATORS?

The audio/video are pretty much reference-grade and there's a nice collection of extras, including a fairly interesting commentary track and a meaty, 40-minute making-of in full 1080p. It's really just a question of whether you like the movie enough to buy it.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bambi posted:

The audio/video are pretty much reference-grade and there's a nice collection of extras, including a fairly interesting commentary track and a meaty, 40-minute making-of in full 1080p. It's really just a question of whether you like the movie enough to buy it.

A friend rented the DVD, and it seemed fun enough (I thought the end was a bit anti-climatic), but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The real bummer was how sort of smeary it was blown up onto an HDTV, being a particularly dark film.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Anyone have any opinions on Dragon Tatoo/Play with Fire Trilogy? Good movies? Looks good?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

OGB posted:

A friend rented the DVD, and it seemed fun enough (I thought the end was a bit anti-climatic), but otherwise I really enjoyed it. The real bummer was how sort of smeary it was blown up onto an HDTV, being a particularly dark film.

Yeah, I can imagine the DVD looking like crap on an HDTV due to how dark it is. The Blu-Ray is gorgeous though. I couldn't find any DVD/BD comparisons, but this review has some nice uncompressed screenshots.

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=54355

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

fromsinkingsands posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Dragon Tatoo/Play with Fire Trilogy? Good movies? Looks good?

Dragon Tattoo looks pretty good but is a fairly bare-bones release. Can't speak for the other two but from what I've read they're similar.

quick edit: Dragon Tattoo is a solid movie and a vast improvement over the book.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Adrianics posted:

Dragon Tattoo looks pretty good but is a fairly bare-bones release. Can't speak for the other two but from what I've read they're similar.

quick edit: Dragon Tattoo is a solid movie and a vast improvement over the book.

I'll have to disagree about it being a vast improvement over the book. I preferred the book even though it seemed to ramble on about IKEA a little more than I would like. In my opinion, some of the more graphic sexual scenes were a little too gratuitous in the movie. Also, I thought that the book did a much better job of building Lisbeth's character.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Well, to me the film did a pretty great job of cutting out all the tedious exposition from the book, as well as everything else from the book that I didn't like - For example, Blomkvist in the book is a really quite terrible character, basically a shameless self-insert who is this unrealistically intelligent superhuman who gets to have sex with everyone, also everyone who disagrees with him is either a murderer, a rapist or some other kind of criminal. I did think, though, that they did a much better job with making the film version grounded and likeable.

Another good example is how Blomkvist ended up in prison, which is summed up in the film as (paraphrasing) 'a bad tip from a college friend', whereas in the book we get the entire conversation in all of its exposition-belching glory, as two characters sit there for what feels like fifty pages just volleying gigabytes of words back and forth.

What it boils down to for me is that Girl With The Dragon Tattoo works very well as an adaptation, as they did a great job of keeping the books' strengths while also ridding it of its weaknesses.

Anyway, all this is neither here nor there and there's a whole thread for GWTDT floating around somewhere. Either way, the movie looks good on Blu-Ray and is worth a watch :)

edit: Will also say that Girl Who Played With Fire is a much better book, but I keep hearing that the film isn't quite as good as the first.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantasia reviewed

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Fantasia reviewed

Cue 10,000 uptight nerds at HTF screaming "censorship" because they don't get the joy of seeing a few seconds of racism in hi-def. Most of them will swear never to buy anything from Disney ever ever again, but of course they will.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Cue 10,000 uptight nerds at HTF screaming "censorship" because they don't get the joy of seeing a few seconds of racism in hi-def. Most of them will swear never to buy anything from Disney ever ever again, but of course they will.

Part of it was because the zooming and re-painting looked terrible on the 2000 DVD. The narration redub isn't that good, either. I'm just surprised Disney didn't attempt to re-edit the narration from the existing sections for this editon. Or at least put it in the extras.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 11, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

A Christmas Carol reviewed
Mutiny on the Bounty reviewed
Sherlock Jr. / Three Ages reviewed

I'm fascinated by the mocap PiP track on A Christmas Carol.

DVD Beaver has better caps for Mutiny. I thought it was a surprising pick for Warner, but this might be one of the best B&W Blu-Rays so far.

Sherlock Jr. looks awesome. Grainy with some weird contrast issues, but it's not like that is abnormal for a 1920s film.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Fantasia reviewed

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I loving love Disney View. I have no problem watching movies in 4:3 if that's their aspect, and it'd be stupid on a live-action movie, but the watercolor paintings on the sides of these Disney films work really well.

Speaking of Disney I really enjoyed the technical commentary on Toy Story 3, it wasn't dry at all. I wish it was done Cine-explore style like the one on Cars but I can't really complain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I mean, poo poo. If Barb Wire is getting a Blu-Ray release, then where is my BD of Harry and The Hendersons?

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cherokee Jack posted:

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I loving love Disney View.

Me too. It sounds kinda dumb on paper but I think Disney does it in a seamless, neat way.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

haha DVD Talk is going to be in a rage with sperglords going off about how "THIS ISN'T HOW IT WAS BROADCAST IN THEATERS SO THIS ISN'T HOW IT SHOULD BE ON MY BLU-RAY PLAYER GODDDAMMMMITTT"

There were people over there that were actually flipping out hardcore about how a little BR pop up menu came up during the credits of Beauty and the Beast to lead the viewer toward a documentary about the making of the film.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

haha DVD Talk is going to be in a rage with sperglords going off about how "THIS ISN'T HOW IT WAS BROADCAST IN THEATERS SO THIS ISN'T HOW IT SHOULD BE ON MY BLU-RAY PLAYER GODDDAMMMMITTT"

There were people over there that were actually flipping out hardcore about how a little BR pop up menu came up during the credits of Beauty and the Beast to lead the viewer toward a documentary about the making of the film.

That's somewhat better than the people over at Blu-Ray.com, where every thread devolves into "DOES IT COME WITH A SLIP? NO SLIP=NO SALE" and/or "LOOKS SWEET, BUT $20 IS TOO HIGH, I'LL WAIT TIL BLACK FRIDAY :smug:", because, as we all know, EVERY TITLE EVER goes on sale on Black Friday. Ugh. I should just stick to here for news/views/deals.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
What is a "slip" in this context? :confused:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What is a "slip" in this context? :confused:

I'm assuming a slip cover, those cardboard boxes that have the rad embossed foil and holograms.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Not that I want to defend those people, but I really hate that popup. It's like watching broadcast television. Otherwise that release is perfect. Fantasia looks perfect. Disney probably releases the best Blu-rays out there.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
So I can't just buy Fantasia by itself? I've never actually seen Fantasia 2000; I guess it's really not the worst thing to own though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

morestuff posted:

I'm assuming a slip cover, those cardboard boxes that have the rad embossed foil and holograms.

Ahh, I see. I kind of find those annoying and have ditched them in a few cases (haha look a pun!).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kull the Conqueror posted:

So I can't just buy Fantasia by itself? I've never actually seen Fantasia 2000; I guess it's really not the worst thing to own though.

F2000 is worth it for "Firebird Suite" alone.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I honestly doubt the price would have been all that different were Fantasia 2000 not included.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$10 off the 4-disc combo pack of A Christmas Carol:

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/carol-coupon?cmp=dmov_dmr_url_lptw_carol-coupon_print

Cheapest price I know of is $27.99 at Best Buy

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Mist and the original Batman dropped down to $9.99 on Amazon

Mist = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AR0D4A?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001AR0D4A
Batman = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039208JE?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0039208JE (with a free VOD rental of it from Amazon)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a nice deal: you can get a Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player (3D capable) for $59.99 through Disney Movie Rewards if you buy 5 eligible titles.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/blu-ray-upgrade?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_gwp_bd-upgrade

All you have to do is enter the 5 DMR codes between Nov. 8 - Jan 31. If you were going to buy 5 Disney movies in this time period (or already own some of the titles but haven't entered your codes yet) then this is a no-brainer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kino is releasing the Fairbanks swashbuckler The Black Pirate on 12/14/10.

Lee Erwin organ score
Audio commentary by Rudy Behlmer
B&W "Talkie" Adaptation
19 Minutes of Outtakes with commentary by Rudy Behlmer
30 Minutes of previously unreleased outtakes
Photo gallery
Includes the original 1926 score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Wal-Mart Black Friday

$10
The Back-Up Plan
The Blind Side
The Boondock Saints
The Bounty Hunter
Fight Club
Get Him to the Greek
The Hangover
Hot Tub Time Machine
Invictus
The Karate Kid (2010)