Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FitFortDanga posted:

1. You're recommending something you don't like (also, you didn't like Solaris, but whatever).
2. HAY GUYS I HAVE SEX

1. The OP mentions nothing about having to pick a movie from the previous poster's list that you like. I think that my pick is valid as I have seen it and it has helped me appreciate the remake, as I assume it will with axleblaze.
2. Was humor recently disallowed on SA? Also, it'd be an implication that I now have much less sex, which is a slight against myself if anything!

Whatever... this weekend I will watch The Saragossa Manuscript*.

*If Netflix comes through for me

*@ below* Didn't mean to be a dick... just saw it on your list, and really would like to hear the opinions of someone who (like me) truly enjoyed the remake first and was excited to watch the original. If you hate it, maybe you will shed light on why I hate it (I think it was because it was extremely slow and filled with long, static shots), but if you like it, perhaps you can explain what made you like the re-make and how that led into you liking the original.

Plus, you said "Still, I feel like I should watch it" and I feel that it's true... you should watch it, and I'd love you hear your take on it! I felt the same way... I ended up hating it, but I went in with that exact attitude.

Sorry for being a dick, though!

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

:words:

Why are you suggesting I watch a movie that you hate? :confused: I mean, I'll watch it because it's on my list but still...seems like kind of a dick move,

At least I can disregard you opinions applying to me because you somehow didn't like sleeper and found the Godfather's opening to be to boring to sit through.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zenintrude posted:

Whatever... this weekend I will watch The Saragossa Manuscript*.

*If Netflix comes through for me

Oh, I wasn't assigning it to you, just commenting on your comment. You'll have to wait for the next guy to pick something for you.

I'll probably jump back into the rotation after Noir-vember is done.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh, I wasn't assigning it to you, just commenting on your comment. You'll have to wait for the next guy to pick something for you.

Understood... I was sort of afraid that because of the holiday tomorrow, I would not be able to honor that commitment. Plus, I still have Equinox to watch.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't know about you guys, but Solaris has been better than some sex I've had.

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
Jumping in fresh. Since zenintrude already has an assigned movie, I'm not sure who I should assign. Axleblaze, if you would like a movie that the recommender did not hate, go for The Sting. It's what made me start appreciating older movies beyond an academic level.

I've been knocking out a lot of classics recently, which has been a joy. For the most part my experience with movies made earlier than the 90's was either in-class screenings of "canon" films (which I always found very dry), or super-cheesy 80's fare (I just can't stand synth soundtracks). Now that I'm out of school, however, I've been going back and seeing movies that I've always been told were great, but just never got around to watching. Seeing The Thing, Jaws, and Die Hard for the very first time in the past two weeks has been illuminating. Looking forward to continuing the journey.

Anyway here's my list.

- Alien: Just saw Aliens for the first time. Loved it. This is in my queue, I just don't know when I'll get to it.

- Amelie: Heard it's great, never bothered. I guess I was just turned off by the people who wouldn't stop gushing over it.

- Cool Hand Luke: Just never had a desire to see this.

- Easy Rider: Same as above.

- Godfather pt. 2: Opposite of Alien, in that I've seen the first and loved it, just haven't gotten to the sequel yet.

- Gran Torino: Didn't see it in the theater, but Clint Eastwood just keeps getter better the older and more reflective he gets.

- Rear Window/North by Northwest: I've seen other Hitchcock movies, just not these.

- Touch of Evil: Same as a lot of people here, only seen the opening shot.

- The 400 Blows: Homework!

- 8 1/2: Never saw it in school, never thought about renting it.

I'm also intrigued by Marilyn Monroe after watching Some Like it Hot. Never seen anything else she's been in.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Rogetz, it was hard to pick just one but I'm giving you Easy Rider. It may take multiple viewings to really appreciate it but it's a great film.

Anyway, I finally managed to get my hands on Apocalypse Now and I have to say that was magnificent. I just finished it and I'm still recovering. 10/10

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rogetz posted:

Jumping in fresh. Since zenintrude already has an assigned movie, I'm not sure who I should assign. Axleblaze, if you would like a movie that the recommender did not hate, go for The Sting. It's what made me start appreciating older movies beyond an academic level.

No, no... sorry, I've confused everyone with my non-participatory interjections. zenintrude still needs an assignment.

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Ah, then zenintrude gets City of Lost Children, and I shall watch Easy Rider. But I still think axleblaze should watch The Sting.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know about you guys, but Solaris has been better than some sex I've had.

You're doing it wrong.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You're doing it wrong.
Maybe you're watching Solaris wrong.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

TrixRabbi posted:

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before

This must be corrected. Watch this, it actually isn't nearly as confusing as people make it out to be as long as you go with it, and it has this great nightmarish quality that Lynch does really well.

Got around to Broken Blossoms, and...well, I did admire it to a certain point. Griffith doing a much smaller movie than Intolerance or The Birth of a Nation is interesting, the acting is lovely (except from Donald Crisp, who is one effectively horrible bastard in this), and I like that Griffith was still trying to remedy the effect of BOTN. But those other two movies were much more exciting. The epic scope of those films is really what interested me in seeing more Griffith in the first place, and I suppose this one underwhelmed me. Maybe it isn't fair to judge it that way, but it is what it is. The closet scene is really terrific, though.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. The Gold Rush- More Chaplin? Well don’t mind if I do!

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe you're watching Solaris wrong.

I haven't seen it at all, but... come on.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
meanmikhail, let's keep the Chaplin theme going with The Gold Rush

The Seventh Seal was heavy, but I wasn't expecting the levity in it as well. By far my favorite character was the squire who at least pretended to have everything figured out. There's a lot to chew on there. I look forward to revisiting it later. A good pick for my first Bergman film.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Vertigo- tightening up my Hitchcock faults
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
Mistletoe Donkey watch Le Samourai and lose yourself in Delon's eyes.

Watched The Red Shoes, first half is fantastic, but when the melodrama kicks in after the first performance of the Red Shoes it becomes a bit rote. The technicolor photography is beautiful.

Battle of Algiers
Germany Year Zero (Rossellini): While I admire Italian neo-realism, I never crave it.

Pather Panchali
The Birth of a Nation (Griffith): A three hour racist silent film, fun.

Metropolis
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein): Just not the kind of movie I ever really feel the need to pop in.

Evil Dead 2
The Red Shoes
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Naruse): I want to become more exposed to the other Japanese directors.

Once Upon a Time in America
Last Year at Marienbad
The Leopard
La Jetee (Marker): I know that 12 Monkeys is based on it and that it's short.

Written on the Wind
The Sound of Music
Ishtar
The Crowd (Vidor): Highest PSI for a Vidor film, know nothing about it.

Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette): Him and Marker are the only French New Wave directors I haven't been exposed to.

The Last Picture Show
La Belle et la Bete (Cocteau): Original Beauty and the Beast.

From Russia With Love
White Heat (Walsh): I'm aware of the famous line at the end.

Easy Rider
Earth (Dovzhenko): See Battleship Potempkin

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

toro913, watch La Belle et la Bete because the imagery is just fantastic.

Dawn of the Dead was certainly different than I expected. I don't know what I expected. The gore and the camp was enough to entertain me, and there are some spectacular sequences, but overall I felt slightly underwhelmed; it didn't turn out to be Night of the Living Dead like I had (for some reason) hoped. The film is just pure ridiculousness in the best and worst ways, but it's solid, 3.5/5

I also got to see City Lights since my last post, so that's coming off the list. I loved it, by the way.

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Adaptation - See number 1

5. Masculin, féminin - Love Godard, this is a random one I haven't seen

6. Sullivan's Travels - I love Preston Sturges. Or can I not say that because I haven't seen this?

7. Touch of Evil - Orson Welles! He's not bad.

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Boogie Nights - I guess I'm just really bad with films after 1990

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

toro913 posted:

Watched The Red Shoes, first half is fantastic, but when the melodrama kicks in after the first performance of the Red Shoes it becomes a bit rote.

That's funny, I had the exact opposite reaction. I didn't get into the melodrama until the performance happened.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PDMChubby posted:

4. Adaptation - See number 1

Man...you have so many good ones on your list but this is the most fun so I'll go with this.

Anyways, luckily Zenintrude and I are very different people because I loved the hell out of Solaris. I admit I remember almost nothing about the remake at this point so that might of helped but God drat did I end up loving this movie. I'll admit that the first 45 minutes or so were not easy to get through. It took me a while to get into and 5 minute driving scenes and random use of black and white did not help. However, once it had me, I was hooked. The topic is just so inherently fascinating and the movie discusses it so well. It has these fascinating themes about how we can't hope to understand aliens with this alien force that isn't so much hostile as it is different and struggling to understand us, but it also has all these themes about what it means to be alive. Also the ending gave me chills all over. It's one of those movies that I will be thinking about for days. 10/10. It has it's flaws. In fact it has some really big flaws but in the end it's hard to really care. I have to go rewatch the remake now.

Here's the list
1) The Searcher: I am not really into westerns and honestly never heard of this until I saw it brought up in CinD.
2) Schindler's List: It seems like I really should not just go into this film all willy nilly. Still, I really feel I should watch it.
3) The French Connection: I started watching this and just sort of lost interest early on. I'm willing to give it another try though
4) Solaris 10/10
4) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days: I actually really want to watch it but I'm expecting it to be brutal and that's kept me from actually going through with it.
5) Raging Bull: I also started watching this and sort of lost interest. Really feel I should give it another try.
6) Sex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10
6) Fanny and Alexander: I have only seen two Bergman films. This needs to be remedied immediately.
7) Cool Hand Luke 9/10
7) The Bicycle Thief 6/10
7) Amadeus: I saw half of this in music class in high school and it was really good but I've never got around to seeing the rest and I don't know why.
8) 8 1/2: Like most of these, it's a long and intimidating movie that I've really meant to get around to seeing.
9) Stalker: I know nothing about this other than this forum seems to like it, so why the hell not?
10) The Sting: I actually really want to see this...I just always tend to forget about it.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
axleblaze, The Sting is a lot of fun.

I like the documentary style of The Battle of Algiers, but other than that it didn't do much for me. Scenes of rebellious acts followed by scenes of crowded streets followed by scenes of rebellious acts with no character development. Maybe when it came out it was more important because of the recency of the events. 2/5

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
I like Pixar, but haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
3. His Girl Friday
I've owned this for a long time, but just never had the inclination to watch it.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. The Battle of Algiers
8. A Shot in the Dark:
I didn't like The Pink Panther, but I've heard that this is much, much better.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I haven't seen it at all, but... come on.

Solaris is better than the time I lost my virginity. It's probably better than the time you lost your virginity too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Solaris is better than the time I lost my virginity. It's probably better than the time you lost your virginity too.

What if I lost my virginity to a clone from my memory created by an alien?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Was she epileptic?

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

2. Toy Story 2:
I like Pixar, but haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet.

Here you go, Toy Story 2 is great fun.

I liked Annie Hall a lot. The film is extremely inventive, with split-screens, animation, flash-backs with present commentary, and 4th wall breaking. Woody Allen has quite the imagination. The romance is pretty great and the ending is perfect. It was also fun seeing random actors like Christopher Walken and Jeff Goldblum showing up out of nowhere. Hell, Sigourney Weaver was in the credits and I don't even remember seeing her at all.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Well this I have to see.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Atheistdeals.com posted:

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

I flat out adore The 400 Blows, and I think you will, too... though if you're a lady, it may resonate slightly less with you than it does for guys.

By the by, I just finished The City of Lost Children and, ehh, it was alright I guess. It sort of fell flat for me, similar to how I felt about Delicatessen... I suppose I just like Jeunet's stuff from Amelie-on more, which is weird because I love Dark City, and TCoLC definitely had a similar vibe. On the other hand, I was really impressed a lot of the ideas in the movie; clearly Chris Nolan and the Bros. Wachowski owe Jeunet a debt for some of their inspiration, as does Alex Proyas who seemed to steal TCoLC's color scheme wholesale for use on Dark City. 6.5/10

1. The Godfather - Started watching it and that loving wedding (or whatever) scene went on for like half an hour. I was done, son... no reason to revisit it again since.
2. Annie Hall - I've been told that I will love this, but I just haven't gotten the motivation to check it out... I've only seen three Allen movies: Sleeper, Celebrity, and Match Point (the only one I actually enjoyed).
3. 2046 - I ADORE WONG KAR-WAI, but I tried to watch this movie and fell instantly asleep. Same goes for Days of Being Wild.
4. Last Year at Marienbad - Looks boring as gently caress, told I may enjoy it.
5. The City of Lost Children - 6.5/10
6. The Saragossa Manuscript - Is there really a reason for anyone to see this? I hear it's over three hours long... not sure if that's three hours in a good way (Seven Samurai) or three hours in a bad way (Solaris).
7. Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - There has to be one joke entry, and this is it. What is not a joke is the fact that I have never seen this movie, yet I love Excellent Adventure... go figure.
8. Jacob's Ladder - I don't really like scary movies. This movie is scary, right? [note: I did like The Jacket]
9. Lust, Caution - What, what?? In da butt! (this is all I know about this movie)
10. M - I love noir, but I'm wary of German cinema... make me a believer!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The King of Comedy Oh sweet jesus I need to take a rape-shower. Sometimes I forget how good DeNiro in his prime is. I didn't find it funny, but I guess I wasn't really supposed to. It was creepy as hell, goddamn. Jerry Lewis was exceptional. Hated Sandra Bernhard, though.

zenintrude, if you're not gonna get anything out of The Godfather or Last Year at Marienbad, let's rock Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

Berlin Express MORE NOIR-VEMBER

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

3 Women But I never saw 1 and 2!!!!

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

penismightier, I know nothing about it but take your chances with The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Well, I finished with Eraserhead and...WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT? I've never been so disturbed and unsettled by a movie before. I suppose I'm glad I finally saw it but goddamn I never want to see it again. I had to force myself to finish. I can't say it was a bad film, it was very good from a quality-based view point, but it certainly wasn't an enjoyable way to spend my night. I had no trouble following it, I just didn't expect that. I'm not turned off of David Lynch, but that movie is hosed. Still, assuming the odd phrasing of the dialogue was intentional the acting was excellent and David Lynch is a great director, just completely disturbed. 5/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

#19 Annie Hall - Haven't seen a Woody Allen film and I need to add something more lighthearted to the list.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead

EDIT: Speaking of the King of Comedy I just watched it for the first time last week and it's not supposed to be a comedy. I thought it was excellent and it felt reminiscent of Taxi Driver in a way.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 12, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

EDIT: Speaking of the King of Comedy I just watched it for the first time last week and it's not supposed to be a comedy. I thought it was excellent and it felt reminiscent of Taxi Driver in a way.

It was very Taxi Driver. I was expecting more moments like when Jerry Lewis is reading the cue cards and they're all upside down and out of order. A rather dark comedy.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

TrixRabbi posted:

That's because he's a wise man. Watch this.

Finished The Gold Rush. Liked it, but it's my least favorite Chaplin so far. It made me laugh the least of the four I've seen from this thread, and it moved me the least. It's still a good one, but I don't think it'll be the first one I revisit.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Any Buster Keaton- Let’s give Chaplin a rest for a while and try one of the other great silent comedians.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Easy Rider: The visuals were beautiful, the editing was jarring but effective (I especially liked the acid trip), but this film didn't resonate much with me. I appreciate what they were doing, I can see how the film was hugely influential, and definitely a product of it's time. But it all just seemed pointless. I didn't hate it, I'll definitely read about it and maybe revisit it later, but I can't say that I liked it. 6.5/10

- Alien: Just saw Aliens for the first time. Loved it. This is in my queue, I just don't know when I'll get to it.

- Amelie: Heard it's great, never bothered. I guess I was just turned off by the people who wouldn't stop gushing over it.

- Cool Hand Luke: Just never had a desire to see this.

- Godfather pt. 2: Opposite of Alien, in that I've seen the first and loved it, just haven't gotten to the sequel yet.

- Gran Torino: Didn't see it in the theater, but Clint Eastwood just keeps getter better the older and more reflective he gets.

- Rear Window/North by Northwest: I've seen other Hitchcock movies, just not these.

- Touch of Evil: Same as a lot of people here, only seen the opening shot.

- The 400 Blows: Homework!

- 8 1/2: Never saw it in school, never thought about renting it.

- Raging Bull: Got about halfway through and turned it off. I want to give it another chance.

Seen: Easy Rider

meanmikhail posted:

10. Any Buster Keaton- Let’s give Chaplin a rest for a while and try one of the other great silent comedians.

Might as well dive in to his most lauded work and go with The General.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Rogetz posted:

You're completely right. Enjoy!

So I just finished with Eraserhead and holy god drat. That movie is hosed in the head. I have never felt more disturbed by a movie ever. I'm not sure of the message the movie was trying to convey other than gently caress with my head as much as possible. The direction is great. The atmosphere is almost unbearable it's so palpable. This is probably the most visceral reaction I've ever had to a movie. I felt completely disturbed only 10 minutes in and it just got worse and worse. Bad movie? Absolutely not. I like to imagine Lynch accomplished what he set out to do, what that was, I have no idea. I'm glad I've seen it, but I think it will be a while before I see anymore of his movies. :psyduck:.

Can I also just give a hearty gently caress you to everyone who didn't clue me into what I was getting into? Some kind of warning would have been nice.

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Raging Bull. Going into this one blind. Don't even know who plays the main character. It's about boxing, right?

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Lawrence of Arabia. Never even really heard much about this movie. I know it's a classic, but up until this thread, I never thought it was something I had to see. Here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is and worth the time to watch it.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's funny that you're wary of westerns because they're too macho, so you think you should try loving Tombstone. Kurt Russell and the OK Corral not particularly manly to you?

...Man I love Tombstone

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

It's funny that you're wary of westerns because they're too macho, so you think you should try loving Tombstone. Kurt Russell and the OK Corral not particularly manly to you?

...Man I love Tombstone

There a difference in the atmosphere I suspect. Or perhaps I've not seen any good old westerns. But the clips I've seen of each are different. Like, when people reminisce about John Wayne, it's about how much of a macho man he was. When people reminisce about Val Kilmer, it's about how an amazing actor he was. That's the difference to me. The old ones just seem so full of swaggering men and machismo.

I'm sure my bias isn't correct, but until I warm up to more westerns in general, I'm only going to list the ones I think I'll have a shot at liking more.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 13, 2010

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Vertigo is one of Hitchcock's very best, enjoy.

The 400 Blows was great. Antoine Doinel is such a good character; he's not a good kid at all but you still feel for him when he gets into trouble. The movie is great at showing you the ups and downs in his life, and the ending is spectacular.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Diabolique - I've heard it described as a French Hitchcock kind of movie. Sounds interesting.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

There a difference in the atmosphere I suspect. Or perhaps I've not seen any good old westerns. But the clips I've seen of each are different. Like, when people reminisce about John Wayne, it's about how much of a macho man he was. When people reminisce about Val Kilmer, it's about how an amazing actor he was. That's the difference to me. The old ones just seem so full of swaggering men and machismo.

I'm sure my bias isn't correct, but until I warm up to more westerns in general, I'm only going to list the ones I think I'll have a shot at liking more.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't see Tombstone - it's a terrific movie - it's just that it's the most blatantly "macho" western in a long while.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't see Tombstone - it's a terrific movie - it's just that it's the most blatantly "macho" western in a long while.

I think you and I are using the word macho differently. You're using it to mean overtly masculine and I'm using it to mean swaggering bullshit.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I choose

Atheistdeals.com posted:

10. Diabolique - I've heard it described as a French Hitchcock kind of movie. Sounds interesting.

for you. It’s a one shot deal and I hope you enjoy.

My list is

1. Wild Strawberries Never seen a Bergman

2. King Kong The original monster flick.

3. Johnny Guitar My experience of Western is really Wayne plus post-Wild Bunch.

4. Eight and a half. I’m interested in watching Italian neo-realism, but figured that I should start by watching Fellini’s most well known piece.

5. Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

6. Tokyo Story. Because I should.

7. Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

8. Last year at marianbad. The start of the nouveau vague must be good, right?

9. Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

10. Raging Bull. On the shelf, but for some reason I’ve never been able to watch hours of De Niro beating the poo poo out of everyone around him.

knees of putty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 13, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Great list, knees, except for Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, which IMO is not a very good noir. See the Noir-vember thread for some suggestions (or our MOTM, Detour). Also...

knees of putty posted:

4. Eight and a half. I’m interested in watching Italian neo-realism, but figured that I should start by watching Fellini’s most well known piece.

8 1/2 is an amazing film, but be aware it is absolutely nothing like neo-realism.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

FitFortDanga posted:

Great list, knees, except for Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, which IMO is not a very good noir. See the Noir-vember thread for some suggestions (or our MOTM, Detour). Also...

8 1/2 is an amazing film, but be aware it is absolutely nothing like neo-realism.

Cheers man. Yes, should have checked that thread before listing. I'll sub in Cry of the City for BaRD, which looks a cracker from your review.

I felt that I should see Fellini's best known before actually going on to neo-realism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Since this is the last movie you're going to be doing in this thread, might as well leave with a top notch one. Enjoy, and even though you're not going to do more movies, please come back and tell us what you thought.

I didn't forget!

Inception was great. Compelling and complex, yet not too hard to follow. All the charaters were interesting, and I found it especially prudent that after complaining about how the woman in Casablanca was portrayed and dated the movie the one in Inception was nosy in the right sort of way. In a "holy poo poo this dude is disturbed" sort of way.

My one complaint is that it was almost too intense, don't know if I could watch it again, but I'm glad I did.

Anyway, thanks again for the good recommendations in this thread. It helped break me out of a funk of not liking movies after watching a bunch of terrible ones in a row. I'll probably be back for more after my schedule clears up.