Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
in the death pool thread endorph mentioned how jeff hardy renaming his finisher twist of hate (he's a heel now y'see) makes no sense. there's still twist in there so it describes the move better than say the pedigree, wasteland, attitude adjustment, rko, last ride, future shock, beautiful disaster, trouble in paradise, stroke, mic check, styles clash, muscle buster, etc.

What are some clever move names? (F5, jacknife, backstabber, skull crushing finale, sweet chin music, 619, angle slam, hellevator, skull & bones, etc.)

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Web Jew.0 posted:

in the death pool thread endorph mentioned how jeff hardy renaming his finisher twist of hate (he's a heel now y'see) makes no sense. there's still twist in there so it describes the move better than say the pedigree, wasteland, attitude adjustment, rko, last ride, future shock, beautiful disaster, trouble in paradise, stroke, mic check, styles clash, muscle buster, etc.

What are some clever move names? (F5, jacknife, backstabber, skull crushing finale, sweet chin music, 619, angle slam, hellevator, skull & bones, etc.)

This isn't a question so much as "hey, post some cool move names." That said, I'll go with Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Credenza.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

When thinking of clever names, "Angle Slam" is not one that comes to mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RKO makes perfect sense. Randy's initials. It also KOs people.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
^ it'd be better if the oval office punt was the rko since it actually does ko people. As it is his initials would have to be T.W.O.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

When thinking of clever names, "Angle Slam" is not one that comes to mind.

It's a slam done at an angle by an Angle idk it's more clever than olympic slam or Kurt Slam I guess

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
He really should have made the loop a bit wider and called it the Olympic Ring.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
The most clever name to me, would have to be Cena's original F-U, poking fun at Brock.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Carbon Footprint would be clever if Matt Morgan were given an ecologist gimmick.

WeaselWeaz posted:

This isn't a question so much as "hey, post some cool move names." That said, I'll go with Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Credenza.

Gradunza. It's a Cat in the Hat reference. The joke was that, despite it's very specific descriptors, it was an object that had no discernible shape to it, and yet those poor kids were for some reason compelled to look for it.

RacistGuidingLight fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Fucken_Gieux posted:

Gradunza. It's a Cat in the Hat reference. The joke was that, despite it's very specific descriptors, it was an object that had no discernible shape to it, and yet those poor kids were for some reason compelled to look for it.

And all this time it was just a sideways fisherman suplex. Doctor Seuss would have made a great booker.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

Lawler is in no way like this or even at all "cool."

- He's a comic book geek, especially Superman.
- He's a giant Frank Frazetta fan, to the point where he has copied Frazetta's work and used it for wrestling posters and programs.
- He's an even bigger Coca-Cola fan, so much so that he has at least one room in his house dedicated to Coke merchandise. So much so that it looks like a hoarder lives there.
- He doesn't drink alcohol, allegedly the only time ever was toasting beers with JR on an episode of Raw.
- He's a diehard Cleveland Indians and Browns fan and has skipped his high paying, once a week job to go to games.
- He isn't just a grown man who screams "puppies" when he sees a woman with nice boobs, he's been doing it since he was in his late 40s.
- He used to post softcore pictures of his wife (at the time, Stacy Carter/The Kat)on his website.

Still think he's cool? Jerry Lawler is someone who seems maybe like he's interesting until you learn more about him and realize he's a loving weirdo. Basically, he's a stereotypical goon who grew up without the internet and was lucky enough to break into wrestling and be a success. Ric Flair, on the other hand, has been partying and loving for decades. I wouldn't ask him for financial or marital advice but the man is definitely cool.

Out of all these the one I find hardest to believe is that he never drank alcohol. It's just with every wrestling book I've read it seemed like a guy who came up in Lawler's time would have partied a lot just to be accepted by his wrestling peers..

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

Out of all these the one I find hardest to believe is that he never drank alcohol. It's just with every wrestling book I've read it seemed like a guy who came up in Lawler's time would have partied a lot just to be accepted by his wrestling peers..

I doubt he's "straight edge" but he probably just doesn't drink much, especially not to intoxication.

I don't think it's like Ted Nugent, who claims he never drinks but used to be seen in a small city in Ontario, Canada drinking at a bar anytime he wasn't touring.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I doubt he's "straight edge" but he probably just doesn't drink much, especially not to intoxication.

I don't think it's like Ted Nugent, who claims he never drinks but used to be seen in a small city in Ontario, Canada drinking at a bar anytime he wasn't touring.
It's funny that Ted Nugent would be the first guy you thought of when having to make a point about Lawler.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

savinhill posted:

It's funny that Ted Nugent would be the first guy you thought of when having to make a point about Lawler.

You have to admit, ol' Teddy was crafty. Get guardian rights of the woman you plan to marry. "Better an old millionaire than some young broke punk"

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

If its true that Barret's "Wasteland" is a nod the poem, then that tops the list.

I have never liked "Sweet Chin Music". Just try explaining it to a non-wrestling fan.

I hate it, but I chuckled when I heard about "Eat Defeat".

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

George Kaplan posted:

I have never liked "Sweet Chin Music". Just try explaining it to a non-wrestling fan.

Simple if they are also a baseball fan.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
When exactly did ECW become such a loving love-in and re-write their history so that they were always these hard-working honest family men who were super tightly knit and always looked out for one another?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
When it died.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Eat Defeat is an OK name but it replaced a better one. Sole-food. Since soul food is a term [and 'eat defeat'] is not, I find Sole-food better describes the act of forcing someone to slam their jaw into your foot.

If Gail Kim had any drops of personality or a line of dialogue in the past year, it'd be even better for it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

FishBulb posted:

When it died.

Which time?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Golden Bee posted:

Eat Defeat is an OK name

It's weird because you can hear either "Eat Defeat" or "Eat the Feet" and both work.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Golden Bee posted:

Eat Defeat is an OK name but it replaced a better one. Sole-food. Since soul food is a term [and 'eat defeat'] is not, I find Sole-food better describes the act of forcing someone to slam their jaw into your foot.

If Gail Kim had any drops of personality or a line of dialogue in the past year, it'd be even better for it.

Gail Kim is also of Korean descent. So, also, Seoul.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

WeaselWeaz posted:

- He's a diehard Cleveland Indians and Browns fan and has skipped his high paying, once a week job to go to games.

Still think he's cool?

Hey! :smith:

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Web Jew.0 posted:

Hallowicked's GTS variant is called the "Go To Sleepy Hollow"

Icarus has a Death Valley Driver called the "Blu-Ray" (because it's like a DVD but better)

Los Ice Creams use a Stunner called the "Cold Stone Stunner" as well as the "Jack n Jill Hammer"

Eddie Kingston's "Backfist to the Future"

Arik Cannon's Shining Wizard variant is called the "Glimmering Warlock"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I always likes Sliced Bread #2.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

apsouthern posted:

Icarus has a Death Valley Driver called the "Blu-Ray" (because it's like a DVD but better)

Los Ice Creams use a Stunner called the "Cold Stone Stunner" as well as the "Jack n Jill Hammer"

Backfist to the Future is my favourite here. Sole Food / Seoul Foot is really funny too.

Arms Across America was almost too perfect but Cattle Mutilation sounds more dangerous obvi.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

apsouthern posted:

To make it different, Icarus does it into the bottom turnbuckle, and looks like it should straight up murder the victim. IIRC, the first match he used it, Gavin Loudspeaker (the commentator) called it, "The Blu-Ray, it's just that much better than a DVD!"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

apsouthern posted:

I'm a fan of Claudio's UFO myself. Unidentified Flying Opponent indeed.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

savinhill posted:

Lawler was a promoter for a large part of his career and he described himself as never quite being one of the boys.

Fucken_Gieux posted:

I copied and pasted from Wikipedia. Sorry I don't remember an average-quality children's book well enough.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 11, 2010

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WeaselWeaz posted:

I copied and pasted from Wikipedia. Sorry I don't remember an average-quality children's book well enough.

Didn't want to sound like a dick. I did though.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
A friend of mine found this. Is there a story behind it? Who is the other guy? Why does he look like he is made out of wax? How old is HHH in this? His hair...oh god his hair :cry:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bearnt! posted:

A friend of mine found this. Is there a story behind it? Who is the other guy? Why does he look like he is made out of wax? How old is HHH in this? His hair...oh god his hair :cry:

I'm almost certain that's Killer Kowalski. HHH was his star pupil and the photo was probaby when HHH was in IWF early on in his career.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Bearnt! posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Killer Kowalski so this probably early 90s.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Horse Pepsi posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Killer Kowalski so this probably early 90s.
That is Killer and HHH looks like he wants to be Flair in that photo. Was Flair one of HHH's wrestling heroes?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

savinhill posted:

That is Killer and HHH looks like he wants to be Flair in that photo. Was Flair one of HHH's wrestling heroes?

Yes. There's a couple of good reasons Triple H and Flair became best buddies forever when he joined WWE.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

savinhill posted:

Yes. I think Flair was one of the guys who told HHH to leave WCW the second his contract was up and sign with the WWF.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
Watching WWE On Demand, they're airing the 1995 Survivor Series. One of the matches has the ring announcer introducing Ahmed Johnson as making his PPV debut. Knowing now how much of a push he was going get before injuries derailed him, it seemed announcing his PPV debut was a big step in that direction.

It got me to thinking though, is Survivor Series the PPV where most debuts (to the company and ppv) occur?

Undertaker, The Rock, the aforementioned Ahmed, CM Punk made his PPV debut, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair,and Kurt Angle are some of the names that I can think of. No other PPV seems to be quite the same launching pad for a new face.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bearnt! posted:

Christ, I thought Kowalski's face was a Halloween mask at first. :gonk:

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
Have there been any updates on Ricky Steamboat since he got Nexused in real life? The last I heard was that he was on the road to recovery, but nothing beyond that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How are Championship belts made? whats the process for putting one together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

BigRed0427 posted:

How are Championship belts made? whats the process for putting one together?

Well first you put on a cape and go to a jeweller, and then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMDRdnMDSto