Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Kuvo posted:

Reading this thread has convinced me to root my Moto Droid. I remember reading a while ago that Bugless Beast was the de facto ROM for a Droid but it seems like CyanogenMod is the new hot thing. Could someone with experience with both of them give a quick pro/con on the two?

Also, sorry for the newbie questions, but is installing a custom ROM really as easy as rooting it, backing up the apps, and installing the ROM you want? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like that's a bit too easy.

CM6.1 is far more superior than BuglessBeast IMO. BB used to be faster but the general consensus is that CM offers a better dev support with better updates and is more streamlined with the vanilla 2.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kuvo posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like that's a bit too easy.

No it really is that easy. Depending on handset the first step can be a pain in the arse but once thats done everything gets really easy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

CM6.1 is far more superior than BuglessBeast IMO. BB used to be faster but the general consensus is that CM offers a better dev support with better updates and is more streamlined with the vanilla 2.2.

What he said. My girlfriend likes cm6 on hers way better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So Fresh is good but slowly driving me nuts with the Evo, so I am debating trying something else to see how it works (I can always flash back if i don't like it). I would use Cyanogen but I need 4G (both because of speeds and I demo the phone), so I need a Sense based ROM. Any suggestions?

Also, for backing up apps when switching between ROMs my Titanium backup should be fine?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 10, 2010

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I ran into a problem. I rooted the phone with SuperOneClick and backed up the apps using Titanium. I then downloaded ROM Manager, updated ClockworkMod Recovery and backed up my ROM with ROM Manager. I had already downloaded CM6.1RC2 so I threw that onto the root folder of the SD card and told ROM Manager to install using that (wiping data and cache). The phone reboots to an icon of a exclamation point in a triangle over a phone. I let it sit for about an hour before I figured it was broken a restarted it (it booted back into the verizon OTA 2.2 like nothing had happened).

Did I miss a step or something?

EDIT: It's a Motorola Droid running OTA 2.2, build FRG22D

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

So Fresh is good but slowly driving me nuts with the Evo, so I am debating trying something else to see how it works (I can always flash back if i don't like it). I would use Cyanogen but I need 4G (both because of speeds and I demo the phone), so I need a Sense based ROM. Any suggestions?

Fresh is basically Stock with a lot of the Sprint stuff removed. What is driving you crazy about it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

Fresh is basically Stock with a lot of the Sprint stuff removed. What is driving you crazy about it?

I can't get rid of this force close issue (I've posted this 3 times now, so I am not trying to beat a dead horse, sorry). It just pops up and says something to the extent of "android.core.process cannot be complete" and i have to hit force close. It never CLOSES anything (although it will occasionally kick me out of GVoice) so my phone functions, but dear god it is annoying. Plus my phone honestly seems to lag switching between home screens, apps and DEF when playing a graphics intense game like MiniSquadron, Radiant, etc.

I am running the latest Fresh with Launcher Pro as my main launcher. I have cleaned the Dalvik and cache through both ROM Manager and Titanium Backup, I have wiped, I have reflashed Fresh. Can't figure out how to A. get rid of the force close and B. it just seems that my phone is moving slower than it should.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I can't get rid of this force close issue (I've posted this 3 times now, so I am not trying to beat a dead horse, sorry). It just pops up and says something to the extent of "android.core.process cannot be complete" and i have to hit force close. It never CLOSES anything (although it will occasionally kick me out of GVoice) so my phone functions, but dear god it is annoying. Plus my phone honestly seems to lag switching between home screens, apps and DEF when playing a graphics intense game like MiniSquadron, Radiant, etc.

I am running the latest Fresh with Launcher Pro as my main launcher. I have cleaned the Dalvik and cache through both ROM Manager and Titanium Backup, I have wiped, I have reflashed Fresh. Can't figure out how to A. get rid of the force close and B. it just seems that my phone is moving slower than it should.

I don't know poo poo about reading Android logs, but maybe logcat would help track down what's going on?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Kuvo posted:

The phone reboots to an icon of a exclamation point in a triangle over a phone.

Probably means ClockworkMod wasn't installed correctly. Also for future reference the process in Recovery shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

God Exists. posted:

Probably means ClockworkMod wasn't installed correctly. Also for future reference the process in Recovery shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

I tried it again with CM6.0 and it worked like a charm. Guess that's what I get for using a release candidate for my first ROM replacement.

At this point I can download Titanium again and start restoring apps?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Kuvo posted:

Guess that's what I get for using a release candidate for my first ROM replacement.

Not sure what this means. You want 6.1 RC 3.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok, I'm really stuck.

Rooted Samsung Galaxy I7500 using this method.

Everything is fine except all the google apps are gone. I try "restore gapps" in recovery, gives me an error to check recovery.log. I try the gapps.zip for this phone, it installs but only a few of the apps are there. Market is missing.

I tried rewiping, reinstalling 1.6 Galaxeo, several times. Not doing the trick. Tried fixing permissions many times.

tl;dr - I need Market on this I7500!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yamdankee posted:

Ok, I'm really stuck.

Rooted Samsung Galaxy I7500 using this method.

Everything is fine except all the google apps are gone. I try "restore gapps" in recovery, gives me an error to check recovery.log. I try the gapps.zip for this phone, it installs but only a few of the apps are there. Market is missing.

I tried rewiping, reinstalling 1.6 Galaxeo, several times. Not doing the trick. Tried fixing permissions many times.

tl;dr - I need Market on this I7500!
Install the "tiny" gapps zip, see if that does it. On the Dream/Magic, the full gapps is too big for internal memory, and Market ends up being left out. Took me SO long to figure that out, when it was already documented. :\

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I don't know poo poo about reading Android logs, but maybe logcat would help track down what's going on?

I ended up downloading and running the Warm ROM, so far so good.

Edit: damnit, got the force close pop-up again. At least the Rom is faster so far.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 10, 2010

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Well, rooting the G2 is quite painless and after installing ROM Manager and flashing Cyanogen's "Baconbits", I must say I am very pleased with how the aftermarket community surrounding Android has matured since the days of the G1.

By that I mean ease of use. The community is still full of pathetic idiot children.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kuvo posted:

I tried it again with CM6.0 and it worked like a charm. Guess that's what I get for using a release candidate for my first ROM replacement.

At this point I can download Titanium again and start restoring apps?

Using the RC won't have been the problem.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I ended up downloading and running the Warm ROM, so far so good.

Edit: damnit, got the force close pop-up again. At least the Rom is faster so far.

If you're getting these problems across multiple ROMs, it really sounds like something is hosed up with your phone itself. Maybe the memory? I don't know. Also I've heard people report that Clockwork Recovery doesn't clear cache correctly, so you might try doing it with RA Recovery if you haven't already. You can flash that recovery via ROM Manager, under "Alternate Recoveries" at the bottom.

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

Mask posted:

More Evo fun incoming.

So I don't have the latest Radios, PRI, NV, WiMax and found a combo download on XDA. Problem is the download requires an HBOOT configured to S-OFF. I am currently on HBOOT 0.79.0000 S-ON and can't figure out how to switch this over. Going to Myn's ROM but I ant to go in fully updated to really get a feel for it. Anyone got any ideas for me?

Only going to quote this once just to make sure it didn't get looked over with the new page. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I just started getting into messing with Launcher Pro and I have beefed up my phone pretty heavily over the last two days. It looks great, Warm ROM is loving lightning fast, Kernel #10 has extended my battery life two fold it seems; still testing but so far I hardly lose even 1% over three hours when idle; and I cannot be happier with my phone.

Edit: Another Evo Question:

I just snagged Handcent and everytime I receive a text message, I receive it both to my default Android Messages and Handcent. Is there a fix for this? Also, how do I get certain widgets to display on my Lock Screen?

Mask fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 10, 2010

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mask posted:

More Evo fun incoming.

So I don't have the latest Radios, PRI, NV, WiMax and found a combo download on XDA. Problem is the download requires an HBOOT configured to S-OFF. I am currently on HBOOT 0.79.0000 S-ON and can't figure out how to switch this over. Going to Myn's ROM but I ant to go in fully updated to really get a feel for it. Anyone got any ideas for me?

I'm a little wary of that combo file, several people in that thread have had big issues with it. Run unrevoked3 to set S-OFF forever (unrevoked forever has been rolled into the unrevoked tool so there is no need to use it separately), then flash a stock ROM and accept the OTA update(s), which will give you current versions of all the various radios, then flash whatever custom ROM you want. Or if you're already on stock, do the updates first and unrevoked second. There's no need to worry about the new hboot 2.02, it's not being pushed to existing phones.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mask posted:

Edit: Another Evo Question:

I just snagged Handcent and everytime I receive a text message, I receive it both to my default Android Messages and Handcent. Is there a fix for this? Also, how do I get certain widgets to display on my Lock Screen?
Go into your default messaging app and turn off the notifications and you won't get it from both anymore. The only way to get widgets on your lockscreen would be with a replacement app like WidgetLocker.

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

heat posted:

I'm a little wary of that combo file, several people in that thread have had big issues with it. Run unrevoked3 to set S-OFF forever (unrevoked forever has been rolled into the unrevoked tool so there is no need to use it separately), then flash a stock ROM and accept the OTA update(s), which will give you current versions of all the various radios, then flash whatever custom ROM you want. Or if you're already on stock, do the updates first and unrevoked second. There's no need to worry about the new hboot 2.02, it's not being pushed to existing phones.

So if I am already rooted, I should still run Unrevoked3 to get the S-Off as there is no other easy way to do so? Also, is Fresh considered a Stock ROM or would I have to find something off XDA to flash over first?

datajosh posted:

Go into your default messaging app and turn off the notifications and you won't get it from both anymore. The only way to get widgets on your lockscreen would be with a replacement app like WidgetLocker.

Thanks for this.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.
So my girlfriend destroyed her Moment and somehow because she's a best buy employee, knows the dude in mobile, moment stock is gone, is poo poo rear end lucky, etc etc is getting a replacement Epic.

That being said, any concensus out there on kerenls and roms for this guy? She was a big fan of laucher pro when I threw it on her moment so I'll prolly go that route unless she really likes whatever interface smasung packages into their phone.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Everything I've read on ROMs for the Epic has been such a jumbled mess that I haven't even done anythign with it. Removed their dumb widgets and get some better ones, rooted it, installed a couple things (wireless tether, whatever) and that's it for now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mask posted:

So if I am already rooted, I should still run Unrevoked3 to get the S-Off as there is no other easy way to do so? Also, is Fresh considered a Stock ROM or would I have to find something off XDA to flash over first?

Thanks for this.
Fresh is based on the stock ROM, but it really is its own thing. There are ROMs that are purely stock + root. Fresh removes a lot of Sprint apps and makes a number of behind the scenes tweaks.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

toby posted:

Everything I've read on XDA for the Epic/evo has been such a jumbled mess/dumpster fire

Yeah man; I know how you feel.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mask posted:

Thanks for this.

Unrevoked is pretty easy, you just install some custom drivers (if you're on Windows) and hit some buttons in Hboot. It's the most painless way to unlock NAND that I'm aware of.

Even better than my previous post would be to run this RUU to go back to bone stock with all the updated radios and non volatile memory versions that no one can explain, then run unrevoked3, then flash whatever ROM you want. Back up your apps with Titanium first if you have data you don't want to lose.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I installed Juice Defender, and currently have the default settings enabled (free version). One of the settings enables data for 1 minute for every 15. When data is disabled, what do I lose access to?

I assume general push functions will only turn on for 1 minute, meaning Trillian, Gtalk, mail, etc, correct? What about SMS? Those still come in real time, right? That's not data as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I'm at a conference with fairly flaky 3G coverage inside, but still need to receive texts and calls. Mail can be queued up every 15 minutes, that's fine. IM functionality would be nice, but I need my battery to survive the day so I can live with the loss of instant IM communication provided I have SMS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SLOSifl posted:

I assume general push functions will only turn on for 1 minute, meaning Trillian, Gtalk, mail, etc, correct? What about SMS? Those still come in real time, right? That's not data as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I'm at a conference with fairly flaky 3G coverage inside, but still need to receive texts and calls. Mail can be queued up every 15 minutes, that's fine. IM functionality would be nice, but I need my battery to survive the day so I can live with the loss of instant IM communication provided I have SMS.

SMS still works without data but you'd have to experiment with GMail/Talk push - sometimes it seems to take a while before it starts working again after turning data on and I have a feeling a minute won't be enough. Perhaps you'd be better off just switching data to 2G only and living with the slowness.

I'm surprised they don't provide wifi at the conference though, especially if the mobile service is bad.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Scrubed posted:

Yeah man; I know how you feel.

That is actually what I should have written, yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

If you're getting these problems across multiple ROMs, it really sounds like something is hosed up with your phone itself. Maybe the memory? I don't know. Also I've heard people report that Clockwork Recovery doesn't clear cache correctly, so you might try doing it with RA Recovery if you haven't already. You can flash that recovery via ROM Manager, under "Alternate Recoveries" at the bottom.

Gonna try that next, appreciate it.

For the record though, I flashed to Warm and drat is it faster than Fresh. Looks cooler (to me at least) as well. I would highly recommend it so far, and the force close problems i am having are down to only twice a day.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

SLOSifl posted:

SMS comes over your voice network which is separate from 3G. They'll still come in.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 11, 2010

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I can't find a rom that will work on my Sprint HTC Hero without breaking something. Either visual voicemail, or text messaging, currently using Cyanogenmod but the thing runs pretty slow and laggy it feels sometimes, even thought I oced it.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

hatersg2haet posted:

I can't find a rom that will work on my Sprint HTC Hero without breaking something. Either visual voicemail, or text messaging, currently using Cyanogenmod but the thing runs pretty slow and laggy it feels sometimes, even thought I oced it.

From my experience that is how the Hero is going to be. Cyanogen has all the neat features but my phone can't handle it. The Hero has slow downs for almost every rom I have tried. I cannot get it to be lag-free and smooth for me.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Gonna try that next, appreciate it.

For the record though, I flashed to Warm and drat is it faster than Fresh. Looks cooler (to me at least) as well. I would highly recommend it so far, and the force close problems i am having are down to only twice a day.

Things like this are the reason I will probably always buy whatever Cyanogen does. I can't imagine dealing with bugs like that daily.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Things like this are the reason I will probably always buy whatever Cyanogen does. I can't imagine dealing with bugs like that daily.

To be fair, his problems aren't indicative of the normal experience. I don't get random force closes on Fresh, but I have had issues with some of the CM6 builds. Your mileage will vary.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

If I want to root my Incredible (to make Verizon's crapware vanish, get access to every folder, install Titanium Backup just in case and be able to take screenshots) but not install a new ROM, will the phone still be wiped in the process, or is it just the installation of a new ROM that wipes the phone?

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

tzirean posted:

If I want to root my Incredible (to make Verizon's crapware vanish, get access to every folder, install Titanium Backup just in case and be able to take screenshots) but not install a new ROM, will the phone still be wiped in the process, or is it just the installation of a new ROM that wipes the phone?

Rooting your phone doesn't result in any data loss, no.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Rooting your phone doesn't result in any data loss, no.

Excellent, thank you.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Uh...IIRC...when I rooted my EVO it involved a factory reset so I had to reinstall everything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Ozmodiar posted:

Uh...IIRC...when I rooted my EVO it involved a factory reset so I had to reinstall everything...

It didn't or you screwed up somewhere, I've never heard of rooting causing a factory reset especially with foolproof method like unrevoked.