Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, but even if you did that, can't you just restore /data from backup and get your stuff back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, but even if you did that, can't you just restore /data from backup and get your stuff back?

If you have figured out a way to back up your protected data without superuser I guess so.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

dissss posted:

SMS still works without data but you'd have to experiment with GMail/Talk push - sometimes it seems to take a while before it starts working again after turning data on and I have a feeling a minute won't be enough. Perhaps you'd be better off just switching data to 2G only and living with the slowness.

I'm surprised they don't provide wifi at the conference though, especially if the mobile service is bad.

Thanks for the info. I ended up playing Angry Birds most of the day, and data stays on with the screen. My battery life was great.

They do have wireless, but A) it requires a web request anytime the connection drops, which is annoying, and B) obviously push and crap won't work unless I refresh a web page every time I unlock my phone after inactivity. Problem solved though. I might even buy the full version.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
What are the chances that T-Mobile's wifi calling gets added to Cyanogen Mod?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'm thinking of rooting and flashing my vibrant with a froyo rom, but there's a sea of ROMS on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=711

Can anyone recommend one over another? I'm leaning toward the AOSPish.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a Nexus One rooted and currently running cm6.1 rc1. Anyway what I am looking for is a black browser, similar to the stock one on a desire. I have seen some black browsers packed in themes for CM6 but I am really just after the black browser and not a whole theme. I want to use a black status bar but the off-white greyish browser pane really bothers me.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Naes posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a Nexus One rooted and currently running cm6.1 rc1. Anyway what I am looking for is a black browser, similar to the stock one on a desire. I have seen some black browsers packed in themes for CM6 but I am really just after the black browser and not a whole theme. I want to use a black status bar but the off-white greyish browser pane really bothers me.

Upload your browser.apk to your public dropbox or w/e and I'll change it for you, or I can give you instructions on what to do.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Upload your browser.apk to your public dropbox or w/e and I'll change it for you, or I can give you instructions on what to do.

Awesome thanks, I am currently just using the stock browser included with CM6 so my browser is the same as any browser.apk, would you need my exact apk? If you don't mind, instructions on what to do would be best in case I want to play around with different colors or whatever in future.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Actually I think the pane that you want to change is in framework.res. Let me check around and I'll get back to you.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so what's the deal with CM6.1? Is the camera universally unable to support 720p or is it just for the Incredible?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

God Exists. posted:

Rooting your phone doesn't result in any data loss, no.

Rooted painlessly. It was really quite easy. Thanks again!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

God Exists. posted:

It didn't or you screwed up somewhere, I've never heard of rooting causing a factory reset especially with foolproof method like unrevoked.

OK...you made me curious so I went and looked at what I did.

I used the SimpleRoot method (this was during the whole "Unrevoked doesn't provide permanent root" fiasco, so I went ahead and did the full version) which is just an automated version of the toast method:

Part 1: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690762

Important part to note:

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD WILL DO:

- wipe all of your data so brace for that. backup or what not
- Allow you to flash custom roms
- Boot into a custom recovery
- Write to system, boot and recovery partitions through recovery

WHAT THIS ROOT METHOD SADLY WONT ENABLE YOU TO DO:

- Write to system or recovery while in android
- Flash a custom recovery that can be booted into by holding vol down and powering on

Part 2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701835

Important part to note:

THIS IS PART 2 OF A 2 PART GUIDE TO ROOTING THE EVO AND UNLOCKING NAND PROTECTION. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THE PART 1 OF ROOTING TO BE ABLE TO PROCEED WITH THIS GUIDE. IF YOU HAVENT ROOTED USING MY METHOD, THEN FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW AND DO SO.

SimpleRoot, for reference: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411

Important part to note:

Credits:

Mast3rpyr0 - Original creator of a simple one click root. Most the code used here is based on his work with some tweeks. [ Link ]
webs05 - For the outstanding help he has provided to those who were having issues using Simple Root!!! Thanks!
toastcfh - For root and nand unlock. [ Link ]
Koush - Recovery image [ Link ]
maejrep - For helping with the code to remove sendkeys!! Thanks alot!!

I haven't paid any attention to Unrevoked since I did this...so I'm glad to hear that things changed and are easier if people don't have to go through this now...but I knew I wasn't crazy and that it caused a complete wipe of my phone at the time.

tzirean posted:

Glad to hear you had an easier time than I did...hahaha.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Well, wait, not so fast. Titanium Backup can't acquire root access, even though it's listed in Superuser Permissions. Am I missing a middle step there?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tzirean posted:

Well, wait, not so fast. Titanium Backup can't acquire root access, even though it's listed in Superuser Permissions. Am I missing a middle step there?

You most likely don't have busybox. Click the bottom righthand button in Titanium (should say something like "problem?") and it'll download it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

You most likely don't have busybox. Click the bottom righthand button in Titanium (should say something like "problem?") and it'll download it.

That was it. Thank you.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tzirean posted:

That was it. Thank you.

Most welcome.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

God Exists. posted:

If you have figured out a way to back up your protected data without superuser I guess so.

I was sort of working from the stuff I learned from rooting my mediocre phone (Intercept), which involved a modified recovery that lets me deal with /system and /data backups that I used to flash my kernel with a rooted one. Didn't consider that you don't necessarily need a new recovery before rooting. R->C->P, guess I missed a step in there. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Things like this are the reason I will probably always buy whatever Cyanogen does. I can't imagine dealing with bugs like that daily.

The day Cyanogen keeps 4G I will use Cyanogen. Unfortunate but how it is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jromano posted:

What are the chances that T-Mobile's wifi calling gets added to Cyanogen Mod?

Almost nil, to be honest. He might include Kernel support, but he's not going to include the app, I'd wager.

God Exists. posted:

The rooting itself might not, but changing roms, which most people do when they root, really should have a wipe in between.

Root your phone, install Titanium Backup, Buy Titanium Backup Unlocker, Back it all up, wipe & flash CM6 (or whatever rom you want hint: you want cm6) and then restore with Titanium.

Though, to be honest, a wipe every few months helps me cut down on fat that I never really think about uninstalling myself.

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

heat posted:

Unrevoked is pretty easy, you just install some custom drivers (if you're on Windows) and hit some buttons in Hboot. It's the most painless way to unlock NAND that I'm aware of.

Even better than my previous post would be to run this RUU to go back to bone stock with all the updated radios and non volatile memory versions that no one can explain, then run unrevoked3, then flash whatever ROM you want. Back up your apps with Titanium first if you have data you don't want to lose.

Trying not to flood the thread but here is what leaves me somewhat puzzled. I have NAND unlocked, just not S-OFF. I can do a Nandroid Backup and restore if I chose to. Regardless, am I going to have to do this everytime I need to update my Radios/Wimax/NV/PRI or when I get S-Off working, I can just use the XDA posted stuff to keep myself updated? Also, is there a way to completely restore everything I have done with my phone prior to going ahead and using the RUU method you posted? Not that I spent hours customizing what I have done currently but it would be nice to just be able to come back exactly to my setup without much fuss.

Also, thanks much for the RUU info.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mask posted:

Trying not to flood the thread but here is what leaves me somewhat puzzled. I have NAND unlocked, just not S-OFF. I can do a Nandroid Backup and restore if I chose to. Regardless, am I going to have to do this everytime I need to update my Radios/Wimax/NV/PRI or when I get S-Off working, I can just use the XDA posted stuff to keep myself updated? Also, is there a way to completely restore everything I have done with my phone prior to going ahead and using the RUU method you posted? Not that I spent hours customizing what I have done currently but it would be nice to just be able to come back exactly to my setup without much fuss.

Also, thanks much for the RUU info.

I believe S-OFF means that Bootloader is unlocked, which means you can use the Fastboot app. This basically means you can never brick your device, even if you killed Recovery and the OS simultaneously.

It could be a different term though, I think it just means N1 style unlock.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

God Exists. posted:

But after you root the Incredible, you can't receive any OTAs? I thought I saw somewhere that you still could, but I recall some people in this thread saying that the Incredible can't receive OTAs after root (does this apply to all phones?).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BathroomTile posted:

But after you root the Incredible, you can't receive any OTAs? I thought I saw somewhere that you still could, but I recall some people in this thread saying that the Incredible can't receive OTAs after root (does this apply to all phones?).

Custom recovery means you can't use official OTAs.

XDA will have an unofficial version out with root within hours of the actual OTA being released.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Casao posted:

Custom recovery means you can't use official OTAs.

XDA will have an unofficial version out with root within hours of the actual OTA being released.

What's the process of installing these unofficial updates?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BathroomTile posted:

What's the process of installing these unofficial updates?

Put the zip file on the sd, tell rom manager to install it.

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?
For EVO this might mean you have to have an S-Off bootloader which revolves around the many questions I have posted previously. Just an FYI.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Casao posted:

Put the zip file on the sd, tell rom manager to install it.

When you say Rom Manager is this what you are referring to?

http://www.appbrain.com/app/rom-manager/com.koushikdutta.rommanager

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Zarkov Cortez posted:

That's the one.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Zarkov Cortez posted:

yep, that's it.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

travisray2004 posted:

yep, that's it.

Is there a difference between the premium and free version? I'm not seeing anything immediate in Appbrain.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BathroomTile posted:

Is there a difference between the premium and free version? I'm not seeing anything immediate in Appbrain.

Honestly? not really. There's options like updating your rom to the newest version (if the rom is compatible) and downloading "Premium" roms, but that's usually just CM Nightlies and MIUI builds. At least for my phone.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2010

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I simply cannot root my CDMA Hero on .7. I've tried every variation of the "unplug/debugging/plugin" process shown for SuperOneClick 1.5.5 here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

And it just hangs on "Waiting for device"

Universal Androot doesn't work on .7 so that's a no-go. I don't want to downgrade to .5/.6 because the dialer lag is atrocious.

Thoughts?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

RexSS345 posted:

I simply cannot root my CDMA Hero on .7. I've tried every variation of the "unplug/debugging/plugin" process shown for SuperOneClick 1.5.5 here:

Universal Androot doesn't work on .7 so that's a no-go. I don't want to downgrade to .5/.6 because the dialer lag is atrocious.

Thoughts?
Downgrade, root, then try this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=790889

One of the custom kernels could speed things up, too.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

Honestly? not really. There's options like updating your rom to the newest version (if the rom is compatible) and downloading "Premium" roms, but that's usually just CM Nightlies and MIUI builds. At least for my phone.
And as far as I can tell, it just updates with one ROM zip and then reboots; when I wipe and reflash my ROM, there are a couple of other zips I generally like to install at the same time, such as my Google Apps, Darktremor's A2SD (Firerat turned my phone into a sluggish mess), and the vork kernel, or maybe an updated radio rom, which is a requirement for some of the CM nightlies.

Unless premium lets me stack updates to run one after another, then the whole ROM Manager program seems like a waste of time.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

RexSS345 posted:

Thoughts?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804296

This SHOULD work for you, I have done it a few times myself, very simple and only takes all of about 5 minutes max.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thanks for the help guys, I had to install HTC Sync as I was getting the little yellow exclamation point in Device Manager under ADB. Once that driver was installed Super One Click worked perfectly on the first try.

On to CM!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I have Dwang installed on my G1 and there's no Apps2SD? Why :(

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I want to take off some of the stupid apps that came with my Droid 2, but I'm worried about deleting something that might be system critical or used by other apps, or something. Is there a list of apps I can safely delete from my Droid 2? And I use Root Explorer to do so, right?

While I'm here, I might as well fish for new launcher recommendations. I'm using LauncherPro, but it's a bit slow, so if cleaning up some of these unwanted apps and widgets(who thought that sticky note was a good idea) doesn't speed things up, I'll be looking for another.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Civil posted:

I'm thinking of rooting and flashing my vibrant with a froyo rom, but there's a sea of ROMS on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=711

Can anyone recommend one over another? I'm leaning toward the AOSPish.

If you want something close to stock I would use Obsidian. That's what I've got on mine and for the most part they have left it unscathed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have an HTC Legend rooted to the latest stable cm6. Ever since I installed it the camera has been nigh unusable. Are there any better apps that fix this or is it an issue with CM6?